/* */

PDA

View Full Version : i need help now..

luxas12345
03-13-2013, 03:37 AM
i know this is the wrong place to post this but i need help.... please

i swore a oath On Allah, my whole family and all my belongings, i also swore in the same of if i broke the oath i will die.. is my oath valid?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
03-13-2013, 03:51 AM
Salaam.

Welcome to our forums. :welcome:

Muslim Woman
03-13-2013, 05:40 AM
:sl:

Welcome here . In sha Allah , will try to find a fatwa . In the meantime , offer ur repentance to Allah for making such an oath .

luxas12345
03-13-2013, 06:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:sl:

Welcome here . In sha Allah , will try to find a fatwa . In the meantime , offer ur repentance to Allah for making such an oath .
yes please i would greatly appreciate you're help

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
03-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Inshallah someone will find a fatwah for you, in the meantime I'm going to mention a few things that I already know about oaths.

When you make an oath, it should solely be made to Allah. So to swear on your belongings, family, etc. is considered shirk and not permissible.

If you make an oath unintentionally, then it doesn't count, but your oath sounds intentional so you should try your best to fulfill that oath (as long as fulfilling that oath is not haram). So, to expiate for an unfulfilled oath, Allah says:

“Allaah will not punish you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He will punish you for your deliberate oaths; for its expiation (a deliberate oath) feed ten Masaakeen (poor persons), on a scale of the average of that with which you feed your own families, or clothe them or manumit a slave. But whosoever cannot afford (that), then he should fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths when you have sworn. And protect your oaths (i.e. do not swear much). Thus Allaah makes clear to you His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) that you may be grateful”

[al-Maa’idah 5:89]

So basically, if you can afford to, feed/clothe 10 poor families to the same degree that would fulfill the needs of your family (I believe you can do this over a period of time, not all at once, but I'm not 100% sure about that), and if you can't, then free a slave (I'm sure you don't own a slave :P) and if you can't do that, then fast for 3 days. You should also do some repentance and be more careful when making an oath.

Finally, don't wish death upon yourself for something trivial or worldly. It's only permissible if you're in a situation where death is better than falling into a severe sin.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

luxas12345
03-13-2013, 09:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

Inshallah someone will find a fatwah for you, in the meantime I'm going to mention a few things that I already know about oaths.

When you make an oath, it should solely be made to Allah. So to swear on your belongings, family, etc. is considered shirk and not permissible.

If you make an oath unintentionally, then it doesn't count, but your oath sounds intentional so you should try your best to fulfill that oath (as long as fulfilling that oath is not haram). So, to expiate for an unfulfilled oath, Allah says:

“Allaah will not punish you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He will punish you for your deliberate oaths; for its expiation (a deliberate oath) feed ten Masaakeen (poor persons), on a scale of the average of that with which you feed your own families, or clothe them or manumit a slave. But whosoever cannot afford (that), then he should fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths when you have sworn. And protect your oaths (i.e. do not swear much). Thus Allaah makes clear to you His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) that you may be grateful”

[al-Maa’idah 5:89]

So basically, if you can afford to, feed/clothe 10 poor families to the same degree that would fulfill the needs of your family (I believe you can do this over a period of time, not all at once, but I'm not 100% sure about that), and if you can't, then free a slave (I'm sure you don't own a slave :P) and if you can't do that, then fast for 3 days. You should also do some repentance and be more careful when making an oath.

Finally, don't wish death upon yourself for something trivial or worldly. It's only permissible if you're in a situation where death is better than falling into a severe sin.

fi aman allah
w'salaam
so do i have to fast for 3 days continuously? no water or food for 3 days?... also if i do fast for 3 days will i still be punished?

luxas12345
03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
also is my oath valid? because i also swore on my family and items

Muslim Woman
03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by luxas12345

U may contact a mufti here :

Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre
Email: fatwa@darulihsan.com
3rd Floor, Gem Towers
98 Overport Drive, Durban, South Africa
P.O Box 76474, Marble Ray, Durban, 4035
Tel: 08611 IHSAN (44726) - Fax: 031 207 3749

Muslim Woman
03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
:wa:

a related fatwa :

Fatwa No : 184697
Expiation for broken promises
Fatwa Date : Ramadhaan 20, 1433 / 8-8-2012
Question

Alsalam wa alaikom wa rahmatuh allah wa barakatuh, I have a question about oaths and promises. Are they the same? For example once I said to my family member I promise not to lower my grade inshaa allah and another time I promise to do my best inshaa allah. Do I have to do kaffara for these promises? Once I also made a promise TO and not BY god that I would study more but didn't what about this. In addition I used to fast three days for other swears but I didn't know that fasting was only allowed if the other options were not available- Do I have to repeat these?

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

, is His slave and Messenger.
A promise is what a person assures that he will do, like him saying ‘I will do such and such’ or ‘I will give such and such’.
As regards the oath, which literally means swearing, according to Islamic terminology this means to confirm a ruling by using a Name of Allaah or one of His Attributes.
Therefore, you should know that what you made was a promise and not an oath, so there is no expiation for what you promised and then broke your promise.

As regards the one who takes an oath by Allaah and then he breaks his oath, then he is obliged to expiate for breaking the oath.

The expiation for an oath is that the one who breaks the oath has a choice to free a slave, or feed ten poor people, or clothe them, and one should not opt for fasting [three days] nor is it sufficient for him to fast unless he is unable to do any of these three aforementioned things.

For more benefit on expiation, please refer to Fatwa 90002.

Allaah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...waId&Id=184697

*charisma*
03-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

so do i have to fast for 3 days continuously? no water or food for 3 days?... also if i do fast for 3 days will i still be punished?
If you are sure you can't feed 10 families, then you have to fast, but the days do not have to be consecutive. You would fast them as you would for ramadan, so no food, water, intercourse etc. from the start of fajr time until maghrib time.

Ibn Hazm said in al-Muhalla (6/345):

It is sufficient to fast the three days separately, if one wishes – which is the view of Maalik and al-Shaafa’i – because Allaah did not stipulate whether they should be consecutive or separate. So however a person fasts them is sufficient.

And it says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (23/22):

It is better if the fasts for kafaarat al-yameen are done consecutively, but if they are not, then there is nothing wrong with that.

See al-Insaaf, 11/42 , Al-Mughni, 10/15 , Al-Mudawwanah, 1/280.
Source

Inshallah if you do what you are able to do, then hopefully you won't be punished. Just becareful about making oaths.

I'm not sure about this, you will have to ask a scholar or sheikh. Had you swore only on your family or items, it would have not been valid, and including Allah alongside with them means you committed a form of shirk. So you will have to talk to a scholar about this, because it's possible that it's not valid, but I'm not sure.

Read this here.

An oath is not binding unless it is sworn by one of the names of Allaah or by one of His attributes.

[...]

the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever swears by something other than Allaah has committed an act of kufr or shirk.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1535) and Abu Dawood (3251); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.
Source

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!