/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Washington

Algburne
03-15-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm an IT worker/student from eastern Washington, with an interest in comparative religious studies. I thought I'd sign up here to learn about Islamic customs, practices and philosophy, since I have very little experience with the subject and don't know any Muslims. My religious practices are syncretic.

Also, my username is a contraction of one one my favorite poets. Bonus points to whoever guesses him...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Periwinkle18
03-15-2013, 07:26 PM
hello
:welcome: to the forum

hmm I guess I dont knw who the poet is :p

Independent
03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Algburne
Also, my username is a contraction of one one my favorite poets. Bonus points to whoever guesses him...
Algernon Swinburne?

Algburne
03-15-2013, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Independent
Algernon Swinburne?
We have a winner.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Independent
03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
We have a winner.
An unusual choice. He's fallen out of fashion.

Algburne
03-15-2013, 07:39 PM
An unusual choice. He's fallen out of fashion.
Guilty pleasure. I love regular rhyme schemes and meter, and he is pretty much perfect on both counts. I mostly stick to Romantic and Decadent poetry anyway, so there is that too.

Independent
03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I mostly stick to Romantic and Decadent poetry
I'm with you on the Romantics first generation - Blake, Wordsworth, Coleridge.

Algburne
03-15-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm with you on the Romantics first generation - Blake, Wordsworth, Coleridge.
I've read Coleridge, Byron, and a little Wordsworth, been meaning to read more Blake. Would you recommend anything in particular to start with?

Iceee
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Welcome to our forums.

I see your getting along with someone real quick.

Independent
03-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Blake's 'Songs of Innocence and Experience' collection is one of the best there is. Wordsworth & Coleridge are famous for 'Lyrical Ballads' but the Wordsworth poem I especially admire is 'The Prelude'. This is a very long poem but you could probably find highlights, such as his boyhood experiences and especially where he describes crossing the Alps (which I think is a superb description of the mystery of creative inspiration).

Muslim Woman
03-16-2013, 08:23 AM
:sl:

Welcome here bro.

Al-Mufarridun
03-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Greetings and Welcome to the forum.

Hope you benefit from your stay.

Abu Loren
03-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Welcome.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!