/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Sutra?

Abu Loren
03-19-2013, 05:00 PM
As'alaamu Alaikkum

I go to a masjid where the majority are Hanafi's and almost all of them, when they enter, head straight for post or behind a chair or behind somebody who is already in prayer. Why is a sutra important in a masjid? Surely this is only needed when praying outside.

Also the majority are Bangladeshi's and Pakistani's so is it a cultural thing?

I wonder if somebody can clarify this for me.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tearose
03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
wa 3laikum as-salam,

I'm not sure about the rulings on having a sutra, so can't really clarify, but I found this on the benefits of a sutra in the book 33 ways of developing khushoo' in salaaah by Sheikh Muhammed Salih al-Munajjid:

Praying with a barrier (sutrah) in front of one and praying close to it
Another thing that will help one to have khushoo’ is paying attention to the matter of
having a sutrah and praying close to it, because this will restrict your field of vision,
protect you from the Shaytaan and keep people from passing in front of you, which
causes a distraction and reduces the reward of the prayer
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When any one of you
prays, let him pray facing a sutrah, and let him get close to it.” (Reported by Abu
Dawood, no. 695, 1/446;
Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 651).

Getting close to the sutrah is very beneficial, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of
Allaah be upon him) said: “When any one of you prays facing a sutrah, let him get
close to it so that the Shaytaan cannot interrupt his prayer.” (Reported by Abu
Dawood, no. 695, 1/446;
Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 650).

The Sunnah in getting close to the sutrah is to have three cubits between it and the
spot where one prostrates, or to allow enough space for a sheep to pass between the
two, as is reported in the saheeh ahaadeeth. (Al-Bukhaari; see
al-Fath, 1/574, 579).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) advised the one who is
praying not to allow anyone to pass between him and his sutrah. He said: “When any
one of you is praying, he should not allow anyone to pass in front of him, and he
should prevent him as most as he can. If he insists, he should fight him, for he has a
companion [i.e., shaytaan] with him.” (Reported by Muslim, 1/260;
Saheeh al-Jaami’,

no. 755).
Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The wisdom in using a sutrah is
to lower your gaze and not to look beyond it, and to prevent anyone from passing in
front of you… and to prevent the Shaytaan from passing in front of you and trying to
corrupt your prayer.” (
Sharh Saheeh Muslim, 4/216).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!