/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Windows or Mac?

Iceee
03-20-2013, 03:15 AM
Choose one please.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tyrion
03-20-2013, 04:10 AM
Why do you ask? Are you deciding which to buy for yourself?

'Abd-al Latif
03-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Windows is still around? Some people still live in the stone age?!

sister herb
03-20-2013, 07:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Urgh yes! Cavemen still exist.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tyrion
03-20-2013, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Err... Are you sure it's Windows that lives in the Stone Age and not you guys? :p: Windows has never shown any signs of disappearing, and I think it's still the most popular OS for most people. Windows 8 just came out recently.

Ammar67
03-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Assalamu alaikum,

Given the choice, I'd stick with Linux; due to it being open source and more reliable/secure than windows, mac is overpriced and too proprietary for me.

sister herb
03-20-2013, 07:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

Err... Are you sure it's Windows that lives in the Stone Age and not you guys? :p: Windows has never shown any signs of disappearing, and I think it's still the most popular OS for most people. Windows 8 just came out recently.
I live in the Windows Stone Age (or didn´t you see my cudgel?).

Futuwwa
03-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Grrrr arrr rawr get out of my jungle, Linux dweebs and Mac hipsters! Where's my hunting spear, I found a sabretooth tiger through Windows Search that needs killing!

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Ubuntu ftw. :statisfie

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-20-2013, 01:19 PM

You should consider trying out Linux because of it's creator's Finnish origin. :)

Abu Loren
03-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Is it just me or something is not right here?

Other/Neither option means that there is something else out there other than Mac or Windows? And if you choose neither then you do not own a computer?

Scimitar
03-20-2013, 05:27 PM
i#d prefer a mac, but have a PC so I voted windows.

Mac would be my first choice - if I had a choice. But I do not. Design work on Mac is just a breeze. On PC it's a facepalm at times.

Scimi

Cabdullahi
03-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Mandriva

Qurratul Ayn
03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
:salamext:

Mac is the BEST.

Without a doubt.

Windows lot (cannot believe there are more Windows voters than Mac voters on this poll) y'all need to get with the times. Apple Mac is where its at.

I had a Sony VAIO as my first laptop. WORST LAPTOP EVER MADE. The amount of ridiculous problems I had with that imbecile of a product...

My current laptop is MacBook Air. It is excellent. Everything is easy, all the software i.e. Numbers, Pages, Keynotes (a lot better than Excel, Word & PowerPoint) sooo simple to use and awesome! The icons are amazing.

Anyways, I voted Mac

Ma Salama

Qurratul Ayn
03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Windows has never shown any signs of disappearing, and I think it's still the most popular OS for most people.
This is true. Windows is humungous in the technology market. They're a giant.

But Apple is growing fast, it'll soon catch up.

Scimitar
03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
on the handheld market, they are ahead of Windows, but on the home computer platform, Windows is just too big. I doubt Mac can catch up to Windows. Macs are primarily known to be computers for design nerds who run high priority CPU and memory leeching applications. Very stable platform, unlike Windows - at times.

Scimi

marwen
03-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Mac = costs too much money, but doing a nice job. (TOO MUCH money !)

Linux = $0 costs (free distributions) + needs a little more computer knowledge + doing your job like a professional + encouraging open source products.

Windows = wasting money + wasting electricity + wasting time + getting dumber everyday + encouraging an exploitive company + being another blue screen of death victim (BSOD).

For me linux is the best choice.

GuestFellow
03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Ah windows. Never used Mac.

sister herb
03-20-2013, 09:21 PM
I admit that Mac is the best íf you work with graphics. But if you just are as ordinary user, then just same. Windows works here in the cavemen-world well.

Urgh uh!

GuestFellow
03-20-2013, 09:40 PM
I admit that Mac is the best íf you work with graphics. But if you just are as ordinary user, then just same. Windows works here in the cavemen-world well.

Urgh uh!
Windows so boring. Might try Mac for fun. =) *throws confetti and petals*

sister herb
03-20-2013, 09:48 PM
How Windows is boring? I use it just as tool to search and use internet.

^o)

Qurratul Ayn
03-20-2013, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
on the handheld market, they are ahead of Windows, but on the home computer platform, Windows is just too big. I doubt Mac can catch up to Windows.
Yes, the growth of the tablet market is pushing Microsoft into murky waters, but if the growth continues Microsoft should be worried on the business front and the domestic front. With their latest offering, the Surface, it's a shame they got caught out on false specification.

GuestFellow
03-20-2013, 10:20 PM
How Windows is boring? I use it just as tool to search and use internet.

^o)
As for your question I would like to try something new. I have been using windows for a very long time and it gets boring.

sister herb
03-20-2013, 10:34 PM
-----------------------------------

GuestFellow
03-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Then use something else but also accept that some others it isn´t so important what they use for basic using of PC/Internet.

Maybe some others have more patience than you.

:coolious:
Of course. We all have different tastes...speaking of taste. You should really consider replacing your gold tooth with something else. You look...toxic.

Futuwwa
03-20-2013, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
You should consider trying out Linux because of it's creator's Finnish origin. :)
And how would that imply that she should try it out?

Scimitar
03-20-2013, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
Mac = costs too much money, but doing a nice job. (TOO MUCH money !)

Linux = $0 costs (free distributions) + needs a little more computer knowledge + doing your job like a professional + encouraging open source products.

Windows = wasting money + wasting electricity + wasting time + getting dumber everyday + encouraging an exploitive company + being another blue screen of death victim (BSOD).

For me linux is the best choice.
I've actually blue screened about 5 times since August last year. Should I be worried? :D don't answer that.

But I do have a few questions. How easy is it to learn linux? and can I run adobe after effects on it? I don't have a clue about OS OS (open source operating systems) did I just invent an ebbreviation? <- that wasn't a question. :D

Scimi

Scimitar
03-21-2013, 12:10 AM
I think Apple is concentrating more on alternative markets, and are proving to be a dominating influence in those too.

Already, in mobile technology, they simply lead the way and have forced already established mobile phone manufacturers like Nokia (which sponsors the windows platform) into an existence of market place mediocrity. With the advent of applications and the ability to make them functional on mobile phones, the android and apple markets have flourished - and windows has been forced into revising it's whole market strategy, especially in relation to the failing of the windows phone platform. Despite that, Apple face stiff competition on the mobile front from other giants in multi markets, Samsung - a leading phone for the android platform.

anyway,

It does seem that each (Microsoft and Apple) have domination of their own respective markets, and show no signs of being any different at this stage.

having said all this, I would still prefer an Apple Mac beast of a home computer, over a PC, anyday. I voted wrongly, I shoulda voted Mac. *kicks self*

White Rose
03-21-2013, 12:23 AM
In my opinion, mac is task oriented while PC is more flexible. You can run more programs on PC and experiment but with mac, its pretty restricted. But, I guess with mac, you don't get viruses easily?

marwen
03-21-2013, 08:08 AM
How easy is it to learn linux?
Try Ubuntu, it's very easy and user-friendly. Just install it on a test machine, and try it from time to time, may be you'll like it. :embarrass
You don't need too much knowledge to use the graphical interface, like windows.
(In general to use linux properly you need to learn some command line basics, and a little bit of programming logic, that will help you exploit the power of linux. but it won't be hard if you have the time and the will to learn.)

and can I run adobe after effects on it?
I don't think there is a linux version of Adobe After Effects (or I don't know). But there is open source alternative of Adobe AE, that you can install on linux. There is "Fusion" installable on ubuntu. I don't know if it's as good as AdobeAE.
There is also a possibility to install and use Windows programs on Ubuntu. There is a program called "wine" (haram:omg:) that you can install on ubuntu, and it gives you the possibility to install and use windows (.exe) programs. But using Windows programs on a linux system may be buggy and not "clean", and is not very recommanded.

'Abd-al Latif
03-21-2013, 09:07 AM

Yasir Qadhi: My Conversion – Admitting One’s Mistake and Moving On

This is, in many ways, an awkward post for me. Admitting one's mistake is not easy to do. Claiming that one's past opinions were wrong – opinions that were defended publicly, in writing and speech, and championed for many, many years – is always a bitter pill to swallow. And this is even more difficult to do when the 'mistake' is not just one secondary matter or trivial opinion, but rather an entire framework or methodology.

But now, I am forced to make such a confession. I have given the matter great thought, and have realized there is no way forward unless I break clean of my past. And if I do so, I am not the first, nor shall I be the last, to make such a claim. Many great scholars in our tradition have gone through phases of their life, realizing later on that they followed an incorrect system in an earlier stage.

It is an open secret that there are two great traditions in our times competing with one another. Each of these two systems claims to be better and more perfect. Each one claims to be older, or more 'orthodox'. Each one claims to have large numbers of followers. Each one presents an entire methodology – a holistic framework from which all other programs of one's life should spring forth. Each one is eager for converts, critiquing the other tradition with utmost contempt (sometimes with very cheap and underhand tactics – as bloggers know all too well).

It is obvious that both of these systems cannot simultaneously be true in all that they say. One of the two MUST be the more correct and better.

For many years of my life, (in fact for ALL of the years that I have been of age), I had been an ardent follower of what I thought was the only system. As a young teenager, I never even knew that people followed other methodologies, and the first time I was exposed to the other system I truly found it incomprehensible. It seemed too difficult to follow, too 'strange' and exotic. As I grew older, and learnt more about both systems, initially my faith in my own tradition grew stronger and stronger. It is actually ironic that I wrote many works, books and treatises in its framework. In many public and private gatherings, I had defended my own preferred methodology and mocked the other.

It is true that many people tried to convert me, and initially I rebuffed them quite easily. But as these efforts increased in earnestness, and I found close friends of mine, people whom I truly looked up to, convert one by one, I felt the seeds of doubt grow within me. Perhaps my system was not the best? Perhaps the framework that I had initially been led to believe was the truest and most perfect was not actually so?

One by one, those whom I admired began to drop their 'old school' affiliations and change boat. I was truly shocked – my very foundations shaken. Eventually, not a single friend of mine who specialized in the field still remained with me in the old camp. When the final person in my circle of friends converted, it was the last straw.

So I decided to take time out of my other projects, and do some research. After all, this was not a trivial matter, it was an entire methodology of operation. Taking a deep breath putting aside all my previous prejudices, with a pure and unbiased heart, I began to read. And read, read and read. History, works of methodology, testimonies from converts, and even biographies of the founders of these schools. And that was when I realized that I had been wrong all along.

Reading the material that I read, it dawned upon me that the more orthodox of the two methodologies was NOT, in fact, my current one. Rather, it was quite clear that the other system was older, and that mine was but a cheap attempt at imitation. It was also clear to me that my own system, unlike the other one, was full of mistakes – mistakes that I had tried to ignore or brush aside, but existed nonetheless. The other system attracted all the high-profile converts; surely there was a reason for this?

In the end of the day, the evidence spoke for itself. I decided to cast aside my old prejudices, and at least try the new methodology for a while. Until one experiences certain 'realities', book knowledge alone will never be sufficient. So, gathering whatever courage I could, I went ahead and took the plunge. For a full week, I immersed myself in a new and fascinating world. I discovered matters that cannot even be expressed in words. The simplicity, elegance and profundity of it all truly blew me away. It was, in all senses of the term, a truly mystical experience compared to my previous ones.

That week is over now, and I cannot remain quite any longer. I too have converted, and this conversion must be made public. This is the truth, and it shall set me free.

I hereby renounce any affiliations I previously had with the PC, and am now a die-hard Mac fan.

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/05/18/...and-moving-on/

sister herb
03-21-2013, 09:11 AM

I don´t know about others, but that Windows one I agree 100%.

:heated:

Scimitar
03-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Walakum salaam,

Yasir Qadhi - got me!!! ;D I thought you'd posted in the wrong thread for a long minute :hiding:

Scimi

'Abd-al Latif
03-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Walakum salaam,

Yasir Qadhi - got me!!! ;D I thought you'd posted in the wrong thread for a long minute :hiding:

Scimi
Loooollll!!!

GuestFellow
03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
LOL that article is so funny. ^_^

BWHAHAHAHA

~Zaria~
03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
^ Omw!

I thought he was speaking about madhabs the entire time! lol :hiding:

GuestFellow
03-21-2013, 08:01 PM
^ The funny thing is I haven't even read the article. LOL! :?

'Abd-al Latif
03-22-2013, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow
^ The funny thing is I haven't even read the article. LOL! :?
So you lied about the article being funny.:ermm:

Periwinkle18
03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
windows

cuz I dont like mac , iphone or anything related to mac :p

Qurratul Ayn
03-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Yasir Qadhi - got me!!! I thought you'd posted in the wrong thread for a long minute
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
I thought he was speaking about madhabs the entire time! lol
Lol. Ah

I just skipped straight to the end!

Great article, though

Qurratul Ayn
03-22-2013, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
cuz I dont like mac , iphone or anything related to mac
How can you not like Apple?! I cannot function technology without Apple, thus all my gadgets are Apple products.

There's only 2 for Mac... And one of the voters is me... Lol!

The world is still behind the times:exhausted

'Abd-al Latif
03-22-2013, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
Ditto.

Windows: Well, It Never Does Operate With Speed

GuestFellow
03-22-2013, 07:08 PM
So you lied about the article being funny.:ermm:
I like laughing.

~Zaria~
03-22-2013, 07:09 PM

How can you not like Apple?! I cannot function technology without Apple, thus all my gadgets are Apple products.

And then there was 3.... : )

Im relatively new to Apple - and I can say - if the Mac is anything like the iPhone/ iPad, then it must be great!

I cant imagine using any other product now!

Alhamdulillah, the apps are great - theres so many useful islamic apps - from word-for-word arabic, to Fortress of Muslim duaas, to hadith, to Quraan.....its usability, design.....once you've tried an Apple, you dont look back, Alhamdulillah.

Change is always a difficult thing....even if its for the better.

But once you have made the move, you will wonder what took you so long.... : )

:wasalamex

'Abd-al Latif
03-22-2013, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow
I like laughing.
Not impressed :ermm:

Qurratul Ayn
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Windows: Well, It Never Does Operate With Speed
:lol:

Class

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
And then there was 3.... : )

Im relatively new to Apple - and I can say - if the Mac is anything like the iPhone/ iPad, then it must be great!

I cant imagine using any other product now!

Alhamdulillah, the apps are great - theres so many useful islamic apps - from word-for-word arabic, to Fortress of Muslim duaas, to hadith, to Quraan.....its usability, design.....once you've tried an Apple, you dont look back, Alhamdulillah.

Change is always a difficult thing....even if its for the better.

But once you have made the move, you will wonder what took you so long.... : )

Qurratul Ayn
03-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Already, in mobile technology, they simply lead the way and have forced already established mobile phone manufacturers like Nokia (which sponsors the windows platform) into an existence of market place mediocrity. With the advent of applications and the ability to make them functional on mobile phones, the android and apple markets have flourished - and windows has been forced into revising it's whole market strategy, especially in relation to the failing of the windows phone platform. Despite that, Apple face stiff competition on the mobile front from other giants in multi markets, Samsung - a leading phone for the android platform.
It's interesting that you mention Nokia. In my opinion we are moving towards a battle of eco system and not a battle of devices or platform. Nokia has great devices and just about average software but lack an eco system. The reason Apple had an edge over Samsung was that they had a mature and developed eco system. I can read an e-mail on my iPhone, start working on a response and finish it on my Mac where I can create a further presentatioon or work which I can later review on my handheld device. In the last 3 quarters, it can be seen that Samsung have focused on an ecosystem that's rich with apps and multi device interaction. I can only conclude that the build up to 2014 is the battle of the ecosystem.

having said all this, I would still prefer an Apple Mac beast of a home computer, over a PC, anyday. I voted wrongly, I shoulda voted Mac. *kicks self*
Yes, you most certainly have, but at least you are aware of your mistake. Lol

Ma Salama

IslamicRevival
03-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Ap*le products are overhyped, overpriced junk.

Qurratul Ayn
03-22-2013, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vision
Ap*le products are overhyped, overpriced junk.
Have you seen the recent Microsoft Surface and Surface Pro ad campaign? I can't think of anything else that better suits the definition "overhyped, overpriced junk."

GuestFellow
03-22-2013, 10:40 PM
I would not say Apple is junk. It is expensive due to the brand and its popularity. Apple devices are simple to use for most people. I suppose that is why they are so popular.

Alpha Dude
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Been using Windows for 13 years + now. If we assume mac could give the world and more, windows will still always feel like home - even if it's a rotten, decaying cardboard box, you'll always be loyal to your home.

Woodrow
03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
I prefer Ubuntu but often have to use windows as some of my favorite programs are not compatable with Ubuntu.

Haya emaan
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
WINDOWS...

why..??

b/c haven't ever got chance to try any thing else..

Cabdullahi
03-24-2013, 05:01 PM
What do these women know about technology??........one thing is for certain...they know more than me.

GuestFellow
03-24-2013, 05:06 PM
^ But you write better stories. Seriously.

Periwinkle18
03-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Lol I don't know just don't like it :p

I like androids

N windows is fine for me.

Periwinkle18
03-24-2013, 05:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Been using Windows for 13 years + now. If we assume mac could give the world and more, windows will still always feel like home - even if it's a rotten, decaying cardboard box, you'll always be loyal to your home.
Well said *claps*

Haya emaan
03-24-2013, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
What do these women know about technology??
^o) hhu..?? last time when my screen turned upside down i discovered the solution while my bros failed to find whats wrong:ermm:

GuestFellow
03-24-2013, 05:33 PM
^ YOU LIE. YOU KNOW NOTHING. GO BACK TO THE KITCHEN AND MAKE ME SANDWICHES AND FRIED CHICKEN! =)

Just kidding.

Periwinkle18
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Hmm I guess you're just jealous :p

format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
What do these women know about technology??
Guess we do.

My boss gave me the title 'techni' poor guy doesn't know how to fix his laptop asks me to do it for him.

IAmZamzam
03-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Where's Pygoscelis when you need him? Am I really going to have to be the first person here for once to use the word "tribalism"?

GuestFellow
03-24-2013, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IAmZamzam
Where's Pygoscelis when you need him?
He's eating popcorn! LEAVE HIM ALONE!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!