/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music is too addictive..how to stop?

username95
03-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Does anyone listen to music here? if they don't or they used to how did they manage to stop?.
I must admit that I do and I've tried plenty of times to prevent myself from listening but it just hasn't worked. I like this genre of music called kpop ^o) ..not sure if anyone's familiar with this. Well its really addictive more so than mainstream music and although i don't listen to the typical English boy-bands like One direction bleh I do listen to Kpop and my biggest challenge is on how to stop myself from listening.
I genuinely feel like a retard making this post.:hiding:
anyways advise needed...be as harsh as possible...i wont cry

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
03-27-2013, 03:16 AM
here's a video that might give some explanation of how habit forming works and how to stop it...

Numan ali Khan and Kamal el Mekki give good advice here, though different in content, complimentary:

There's more you can find bro.

Scimi

Hulk
03-27-2013, 03:46 AM
If you're addicted to music then that's certainly a problem I think lol regardless of whether or not all music is haram or not. If you are the type that always walk around with music in your ears then try leaving your earphones at home.

Eventually delete the songs off your computer.

I dont listen to kpop and ive never been able to figure out why people like it. Usually people like to listen because they enjoy the narrative, the theme of a song. Sometimes its the beat or simply the melody itself. Learn how music affects us and reflect upon whether or not you want to be affected in that way.

And of course you have to make dua!!

tearose
03-27-2013, 07:55 AM
I used to listen to music a lot and when I wanted to stop I tried to figure out where and when I would normally listen to music so I could do something else at that time. I realised it was always at times when I felt bored, like listening to my mp3 on the bus/walking, or listening to music on the computer when I was alone in the house or making dinner or something. So now when I walk/go on the bus I listen to Qu'ran recitations or lectures, and when I'm at home I watch interesting lectures on the computer. Honestly I feel so much happier now that I don't listen to music, alhamdulilah. Even if I hear someone else's music it annoys me, and I used to think it would be so hard to give up music. I also tried listening to anasheed for a while at first but there are two problems with that - first, you can just become addicted to them the same way as to music and just listen to them over and over without any benefit. Secondly, if you don't understand Arabic perfectly, you risk listening to anasheed with bad meanings, and that's what made me stop really.
Music seems harmless at the time, but now I feel like it made me feel a lot of emotions that didn't really come from inside me, if you know what I mean. That's quite scary to think of, and also listening to those same songs over and over is just a huge waste of time - what benefit do we get from it? Now, by listening to Qur'an and Islamic lectures instead I feel that I am always benefiting and learning something, alhamdulilah. May Allah make it easy for you to stop.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Futuwwa
03-27-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm with Tyrion on this one.

Bint-e-Adam
03-27-2013, 09:50 AM
walaikum assalam
Well. about music everyone's opinion is different. mostly people think it right.
but my opinion to you is that whether you think it wrong or right. dont go to argue on it. just think on one thing "forbidding music is virtue." this argument is accepted by every one here. We commit too many sins everyday and continue to do them. if we have a chance to do little and tiny virutes in our life then why not? if we wish only to make Allah agree with us then why not forbid such things that we are even doubt on it that it is not permitted.
as far as remove the addiction of music, i will sincerely advice you to start listening nasheed and Tilawat of Quran. whenever your heart urges to listen music, compel yourself on listening nasheed or recitation of Quran. Qari Almishary al rashid alafasy is best recitor in my opinion. truly saying, i was too addictive of ibdian music. u may say i did not spent even a day without it. but after joining this forum, i found a thread about that music is forbidden, i start to listen Qari almishary again and again. His recitation is really admirable and now all the day long i only think about His tilawat. the recitation of surah Rehman and other surahs plays in my mind all the time long. and then u may listen to different nasheed that have no musical instruments behind it. u will be in shaa ALlah addicted to recitation and nasheed onwards in shaa ALlah.
music only damage and make your heart sad and dead.

May Allah help and guide you the Right path on which HE has guided the pious people. Amen
jazakAllah khair

Samiun
03-27-2013, 10:25 AM
:sl: I know it's frustrating, I tried to stop listening to Music a few years back and alhamdulillah I succeeded(well for only a few months) because I listen to nasheed to use it as an alternative to Music. Well, you would somehow listen to it again in the future so I suggest you not to be annoyed by it and try to leave it again and keep repeating this process. Another thing is, you can try and listen to the awesome recitation of the Qur'an by saad al-ghamdi and check out it's translation at the same time. This could lead to you to look like you understand arabic and understanding the verses that are being recited and gives you this fantastic feeling of calmness and sometimes.. awe. I can't stress enough how many times this has been discussed so please try use the search button and never give up like NARUTO!

cottonrainbow
03-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Salaam
I do beleive that music goes deep into the subconscious mind and we Muslims should take caution to which type of songs we listen to and also research the lifestyle of the individual or group that is bringing the message.

I'm not going to sit here and say that I don't listen to music. I grew up in a musically inclined environment, and I love listening to certain types of music. Now that I am a Muslim, I am very guarded about the type of music that I and my family listen to.

May SubhanAllah guide you to the path of righteousness! Amin

Muhammad
03-27-2013, 02:53 PM
:salamext:

Here are some previous threads where people have shared ideas on how to give up music:

[Note: please ignore the usual interference from those who don't believe it's haram)

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ing-music.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...895-music.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...-up-music.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...ease-help.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...afr-music.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ook-music.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ce-2006-a.html

Marina-Aisha
03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
I always struggle with this but I delete everything on my iPhone expect some quran mp3 so listen to that or I read a book I find I'm always listening to music when I'm bored in the bus or doing housework so just delete it I know it's totally hard but I know u can do it! If I can so can u!!

Tyrion
03-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Well, looks like the mods are even less subtle now when deleting posts they don't agree with. I can't even post an opinion on this topic anymore.

The OP asked if other people here listened to music. I'm responding to let her know that some of us do, and we do so because we haven't been convinced that it's a bad thing. This is the minority opinion of this forum, as you can see from the response.

Hulk
03-27-2013, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
so please try use the search button and never give up like NARUTO!
that was so random lulz

Alpha Dude
03-27-2013, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Well, looks like the mods are even less subtle now when deleting posts they don't agree with. I can't even post an opinion on this topic anymore.

The OP asked if other people here listened to music. I'm responding to let her know that some of us do, and we do so because we haven't been convinced that it's a bad thing. This is the minority opinion of this forum, as you can see from the response.
For someone who supposedly dislikes arguing, you don't half bait people unnecessarily. You know that the majority opinion here is that music is haram yet whenever a topic comes up you post saying something like you did earlier, even in places where it's not relevant - like in this thread. The only conclusion can be that you are trolling.

The OP asked if other people here listened to music.
Not exactly. That wasn't the point of her thread and that much is obvious, given that the thread's title is 'music is too addictive, how to stop'. The OP asked for advice on how to stop, hence her first sentence obviously wasn't an open ended one. It was just something used as an introduction. As such, your original post was off-topic and needless and given the context, that should be clear.

username95
03-28-2013, 12:43 AM
I realised i listen to music whenever i'm bored and that's usually 24/7(slight exaggeration) but I do need a life.
I've attended quite a lot of Islamic talks regarding music and the problems created because of this. At first i would be so motivated to stop, me and my friends will make a pact and remind each other of the implications etc. But that typically lasts a week before we both get fall into the lapse of regularly listening to music.

username95
03-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Inshallah I can! I say this all the time and i end up failing :cry:
I don't have headphones cause they ripped so listening to it on the bus is not a problem anymore.

username95
03-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Well if naruto never gave up why should i?..lol
But in all honesty if i try to look into the near future i still see myself listening. I think for me its mostly because of the influence of my peers cause they'll ask : "oh did you hear this" and i'll be like "nooo" but i go home check up on it.

username95
03-28-2013, 12:59 AM
I think if it wasn't for Kpop I wouldn't be listening to any kind of music. I hated mainstream music because of the bad lyrics and when I found Kpop I didn't understand the language lol so it was like listening to gibberish with a nice beat. But I've been into this genre of music for 3 years so I guess you can call me an addict cause i even understand the language now *sighs*
Its weird cause it has become like a way of life for me and that makes it much harder to get off than just listening to music in general.

IAmZamzam
03-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Although I still maintain that there isn't anything inherently wrong with music I can also see how much pain this is causing you, sister, so I feel I should help out anyway. I have found that in situations like this the words of Aesop tend to ring loud and true and clear. It's one of the most widely applicable fables ever told.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!