/* */

PDA

View Full Version : There's something about 40 - The 40 days of Paulo Coelho!

Urban Turban
03-28-2013, 10:55 AM
:sl:

While I was checking my inbox this morning, I received an invite from Goodreads inviting everyone who had read Paulo Coelho’s bestseller, ‘The Alchemist’ to ask him any questions if any for a discussion group event to be held on April 2nd 2013, as you may know, this is the Goodreads version of another social network’s similarly titled but much more famous discussion group where they invite celebrities et al for a tête-à-tête with readers across the world, now the book itself is something I had read a long way back, and one of those books I had read cover to cover, though I had a few questions I could ask Coelho, I still wanted to refresh my memory regarding the book itself, so off I went to Wikipedia’s page for ‘The Alchemist’.

Of the many things I read, one thing caught my attention, the ‘The Alchemist’ itself was not Coelho’s first publication but his sixth and all of his previous books were failures, while this too appeared that it was going to tread the same path as the Alchemist’s first publisher, a local publishing house in Brazil, after having had very reasonable success with the book told Coelho in no uncertain terms that, that it was never going to sell, and that “he could make more money in the stock exchange”.

What Coelho did next is inspiring to all those Muslims wanting to bounce back and or reinvent, rediscover themselves.

Continue reading..

http://theijtema.com/2013/03/28/40-d...-paulo-coelho/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
03-28-2013, 11:39 AM
nice find Urban Turban, I've recommended this book to many people and the legend of the book remains true - everytime I bought a copy, i ended up giving it away to someone who may enjoy reading it, maybe benefit from it. It has some very spiritual themes, some shirk themes (related to divination) which get thrown out by Santiago later on in the book and a slight religious theme too...

.... As for the 40 days - I agree bro. I did my attempt at 40 days in jamaat but had to come back after 25 due to some health issues, even so, that time away from dunya related stuff and sticking purely on the deen has been of much benefit and highly recommended.

I don't think i'll partake in the web forum discussion though, not really my thing discussing novels at length with those who write them. If it had been a scholarly work and this opportunity had surfaced though, I think I would jump at the oppo :)

nice find nevertheless

Scimi

Urban Turban
03-28-2013, 11:51 AM
@Scimi, what I'll be writing next is even more interesting than this. I'm sure you gonna like it.

glo
03-28-2013, 12:19 PM
What is the significance of 40 in Islam?
I am asking because it is a significant number in Christianity too.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
03-28-2013, 12:27 PM
What 40 means in the Christianity? :embarrass

glo
03-28-2013, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
What 40 means in the Christianity? :embarrass
In Noah's day it rained for 40 days and nights.
The Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years.
According to the Bible Moses spent 40 days on the mount Sinai to receive God's commandments.
Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness, where he fasted and was tempted by Satan.
After his resurrection Jesus spent 40 days with his disciples before being taken into heaven.

Just to name a few ...

Apparently, the number 40 is mentioned 146 times in the Bible and usually points to or symbolizes trial and testing, or probation.

What about the number 40 in Islam?

Scimitar
03-28-2013, 12:41 PM
in addition to all the above, some of which are also mentioned in Islam, the Prophet Muhammad pbuh was 40 yrs of age when he received the first revelation. That's all I can think of for now.

format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban
@Scimi, what I'll be writing next is even more interesting than this. I'm sure you gonna like it.
So why you making me wait :D I'm going through intellectual salivations here :D HELP ME, give me that metaphorical napkin and some brain food dude!!!! :D

Scimi

sister herb
03-28-2013, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness, where he fasted and was tempted by Satan.
I was thinking this one...

Still remember something about Christianity.

:D

Urban Turban
03-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I'll respond inshaAllah to the above posts but guess what I asked Paulo?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...mment_70808953

I said:

Dear Paulo,

"What would you like to be asked and what would be your answers to them?"

Message # 240.

Lets see if he responds to my...question. Would have to wait until Apr 2nd 2013.

glo
03-28-2013, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
I was thinking this one...

Still remember something about Christianity.

It's in memory of Jesus fasting in the wilderness for 40 days that Christians fast for 40 days during Lent - the period before Easter.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!