/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The presence of God

glo
03-30-2013, 02:15 PM
We have had quite a bit of discussion around proof of the existence of God and why or why not people choose to believe in God.

Something that played a very big part in me believing in God was a deep sense of feeling his presence.
I don't assume for one moment that this is unique to me or to Christianity.

So I would like to explore this further and ask here whether YOU sometimes sense the presence of God.
If so, can you describe it? How and when do you feel it?

I invite people from other religions to reply too.

And for my atheist friends: do you ever have feelings or sensations which you can imagine a believer would ascribe to the presence of God, even if you yourself have another explanation for it?

Looking forward to some interesting contributions. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
03-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Greetings glo,

Just to let you know that we've had a few similar threads before which may contain some useful insights:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ence-felt.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...feel-like.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...sence-god.html

Ahmad H
03-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Yes, I have actually felt the presence of Allah once. I had a dream a long time ago in which He spoke to me behind a veil of light. Feeling His presence was hard since it was so powerful so I felt a kind of pressure. It's hard to say. But this was my actual experiencing of Him. I read much later that others saints in Islam felt His presence as being hard and difficult as well. They saw him as a light also.

So I became convinced from this experience that Allah is present without a doubt. I was so young when I saw this. I knew nothing of seeing Him behind a veil at all. Let alone that it would be as a light like others have seen in the past in visions also. I both felt and saw Him in a form which was very beautiful. I don't care if anyone else doesn't think this is true, but I know it is.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-30-2013, 03:31 PM
^ when i was around 7 i asked my father if he saw God and he told me the same thing. mashaAllah bro if you was in london i would insist on meeting you.

i think the closer you ar to God by doing what pleases him and avoiding what displeases him the more yu can feel his presence .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Urban Turban
03-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Anyone knows the story of how Hazrath (Caliph) Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) came to recognize the existence of Allah ?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-30-2013, 03:55 PM
no please go ahead?

glo
03-30-2013, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Greetings glo,

Just to let you know that we've had a few similar threads before which may contain some useful insights:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ence-felt.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...feel-like.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...sence-god.html
Thanks, Muhammad

I tried a search but I was looking for something in the Comparative religions section, as it wouldn't seem appropriate for non-Muslims to post in the Islamic section.
I somehow missed GraceSeeker's thread though.

Ahmad H
03-30-2013, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban
Anyone knows the story of how Hazrath (Caliph) Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) came to recognize the existence of Allah ?
He read a portion of Surah Ta Ha, and he said, "How fine and noble is this speech." His heart became softened by reading the Qur'an. He was going to try to kill the Prophet of Islam (saw), but instead after reading those verses he went to the Prophet (saw) and announced his conversion of Islam to him (saw).

The Qur'an is a miracle from Allah. A hadith says:

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Every Prophet was given miracles because of which people believed, but what I have been given, is Divine Inspiration which Allah has revealed to me. So I hope that my followers will outnumber the followers of the other Prophets on the Day of Resurrection." (Book #61, Hadith#504)
(Sahih Bukhari)

The Words of Allah convinced Hazrat Umar (ra) of the existence of Allah. He was one of the few people who could read or write in Mecca. So his conversion by reading the Qur'an was due to the miraculous words of Allah in the Qur'an.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-30-2013, 05:28 PM
^ thats the story of how Umar radhiallahu anhu came to islam not Ali

Ahmad H
03-30-2013, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ thats the story of how Umar radhiallahu anhu came to islam not Ali
Whoops. I thought you asked about Hazrat Umar (ra). Sorry about that.

There is not much about Hazrat Ali's (ra) conversion to Islam, except that he was ten years old when he accepted Islam. He would have to have been thoroughly convinced of the existence of Allah already. This was because he spent time with the Holy Prophet (saw) and he accepted him when he became a Prophet right away. The Prophet of Islam (saw) took care of Hazrat Ali (ra) before he became a Prophet. When he announced that he became a Prophet he was accepted by him right away.

The only reason I can come up with about why he accepted him is because he knew that the Holy Prophet (saw) was a truthful man and honest. Honesty was the main reason why Allah said that those who knew he was truthful before a Prophet could know that he was truthful after he became one. This and probably something else convinced him of his being truthful. That and the fact that Abu Talib told Hazrat Ali (ra) about the Prophet (saw) and his conversion to Islam that, "He would not call you to anything but what is good so stick to him." Thus, everyone knew he was truthful before becoming a Prophet of Allah, and so he remained even till after that.

But honestly, there isn't much on this. Perhaps someone else can pitch in and add something to tell you of how Hazrat Ali (ra) came to know the existence of Allah.

glo
03-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Any personal stories of how and where you feel the presence of God?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-30-2013, 07:42 PM
you probably wont be able to understand this..

when I was 7 years old during my quran lesson I remember clearly suddenly getting an intense feeling of pitch black nothingness as though existence ceased and nothing was there. Even now at times if i contemplate I can feel the void which would be without a God.

How does such a destructive feeling lead to belief? Because that feeling is the feeling of a lack of EVERYTHING. For ther eto be something - there has to be a creator... hence my belief

probably makes no sense but you asked for personal! :)

MustafaMc
03-31-2013, 01:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
So I would like to explore this further and ask here whether YOU sometimes sense the presence of God.
glo, I can't say that I have a memory of feeling God's presence in my life. The closest to that would be an intense feeling of my own personal inadequacy and imperfection with a realization of my tenuous and vulnerable position before God.

Pygoscelis
03-31-2013, 08:39 AM
I have had the feeling that I am not alone in a room when nobody else was there. It is an eery feeling. Some may attribute that to Gods, others to ghosts, others to hidden intruders, etc, but I think it is was just a simple trick of my mind.

Scimitar
03-31-2013, 09:21 AM
In Ramadhan of 2006 I was in medinah, the holy city.

IN the hotel lobby, a member of the tour management was boasting that he had made it into Raud al Jannah. He was really happy and people were gathered around him. I stood and listened to him. It seemed like he got in really easily, but he said that he had tried many times and failed and this was the first time he got in there. Everyone was happy, me included.

I wanted to make it to Raud al Jannah too, the sectioned off area in the Masjid which is next to the old house and the prophet pbuh's grave. It was so packed that I couldn't even get close. I left a little disheartened that it was not in my fortune to make it into there, becuase I had read that anyone who makes 2 rakah salah there would be like making 2 rakah salah in Heaven, and Heaven become waajib (mandatory) for them.

As I said, I was upset, because when I was much younger, at the age of 17, I also tried to get in but suffered a nose bleed, so had to leave. My father and brother made it inside that time, while I stood outside with my mother.

Fast forward to 2006 and you can imagine my heart sinking at this not happening for me for the second time. I felt like I was cursed or something, or Allah was upset with me for something... I felt horrible and rejected.

That night, as I lay in my hotel room, I decided to read one of my newly purchased books. It was a book on dhikr (remembrance of Allah). And so, I started witht he foreward, as you do. It mentioned that the Dhikr of "laa ilaha ila'Allah" is so powerful a dhikr, that if one can do this dhikr whils maintaining Sabr (patience) that there is no door on earth that Allah will not open for that person. I felt my heart start to beat fast. I was thinking, "tomorrow I am going to try again"

So, the next day, after Dhuhr salaah, I proceeded to make my way further into the masjid, whilst remaining in constant dhikr. It was tough trying to remain in Sabr because people were pushing and shoving and even digging sharpish objects into my back - it was really tough, but I managed to stay in dhikr the whole time and eventually made it to the border of raud al jannah. I stood outside it, waiting for someone to stand up and leave so I could take their place, but everytime someone got up to leave, a little commotion would break out because so many wanted to take that place... I also wanted to go and try for a spot but remembered that part of the condition of my dhikr was to remain patient, so I just stood there - looking on in hope and reciting dhikr.

A man was sitting cross legged in there, taking up the space of 2 or 3 people, he was a BIG MAN. About 50-60 yrs of age, wise looking. He looked over in my direction and beckoned who I thought was his relative (guy standing next to me) to come in. But this guy next to me didn't notice so I nudged him and showed him the wise looking man sitting in raud al jannah, beckoning him to come in - but when I looked at the wise man, he was shaking his head as if to say "no not him" and the he looked me clear in the eyes and pointed at me then beckoned me over. I pointed back to myself and mimed "me?" and he nodded. I couldnt believe it, I was being invited in. So I hopped the barrier and went in. I sat down next to him, he shifted to let me have some space and we talked for a minute, he asked me my name, gave me a very nice compliment which I won't mention here for fear of bragging, and then he said "make salah" so I did. I made my 2 rakah salah and was in tears that I managed to do what so many do not ever get a chance to do in their lifetimes, I was so happy that I was in tears all through my Salaah.

In fact, I not only prayed 2 rakah nafil salaah there, bbut also Asr and magrib and break my fast in there too. I was so happy. It was time to leave I felt, and so I thanked the uncle and we swapped numbers and I left.

I got back to the hotel and when I reached the foyer, everyone was wondering where I had gotten to. I explained that I had made it into raud al jannah. The guy from the tour group was there too and he looked like he didnt believe me but i didnt care. Some people were saying how i was so blessed to have made it in... but the tour guide guy was like "did you manage to make salaah in the Prophet pbuh mimbar place where he used to lead salaah?" I returned with no. And he smirked and put a downer on my experience. I tried to quiz him if it was necessary and he kept evading my question.

So, the next day I set off again, this time in the hope that I will make it to the mimbar place in raud al jannah. Again, in dhikr, and again I made it in after some effort.

I offered my 2 raka nafil and then stood up to see where the mimbar place was. I could see a crowd of men gathered around it, all pushing and shoving to take the next place in line for their 2 rakah salaah. I made my way to the queue - it was around 20 people deep and really unorganised. And everytime I got to the front, I got pushed out to the side and had to join the back of the queue - I couldnt allow myself to lose patience as it was a condition of my dhikr. I knew from the experience the day before, that Allah would be testing my resolve... so anyway, this kept happening - eveerytime I made it to the front, I got pushed to the side and had to rejoin the queue again :(

Now, this is the AMAZING part. Pay attention closely to everything I say from this point forth please. I count this next experience as truly miraculous.

I joibned the back of the queue, and in front of me was an Egyptian looking brother and behind me an African one. The Egyptian brother turns around and says in perfect English "Assalaam alaikum, this is my brother" and he introduces me to the African brother who is behind me. I replied with "walakum salaam, I am a Muslim so we are all brothers in Islam" and I smiled... recall, we were at the back of the queue and then suddenly very weird happened. I can't remember if it was the African or the Egyptian brother who siad it but he said "it is your turn to make salaah now, take your place" amazingly, I had found myself at the front of the queue, with no one behind me and no one in the mimbar place - the masallah (prayer mat) was empty. I was baffled. But still, the Egyptian brother was supposed to be ahead of me so I offered him the chance to go first but he declined and said "no, it is for you" So I didn't hesitate, and I went for it. I was in tears thru the whole of my 2 rakats. When I got up, the two men were waiting for me. I was thinking that they would make salah too, but instead they asked me to sit with them and read some Quran, so I did. After about 20 mins i got up ad left, after saying my salaams.

It wasn't untilI stepped out of the masjid and onto the road outside that it struck me:

1) they referred to each other as brothers, but only smiled when i said "I too am your brother in Islam"
2) how did I end up at the front of the queue when I had clearly been at the back?
3) the people who were shoving and pushing to make salaah there, I recall seeing their faces, they looked lost, or frozen in a moment of deep reflection as if they were wondering where they were - why?
4) these 2 "brothers" were in the queue with me but didn't make salah i raud al jannah, why? instead they asked me to sit with them and read Quran instead.

It struck me like lightning to the heart - they were sent by Allah, they could very well have been angels in human form. Actually I feel to this day that this is exactly who they were... That is amazing. I get shivers and goosebumps everytime I think about that experience.

Another thing happened too but in Makkah, maybe I will share another time in sha Allah.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you all :)

Scimi

Jedi_Mindset
03-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Masha'Allah very nice story brother, even though you've told me already one or two times, i am still amazed everytime i read this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!