/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Conflict in Educational Opportunity

Jalal~
04-10-2013, 01:24 AM
:sl:
How's everyone doing?

Alright, so I'm currently at a university that provides this program called cooperative education a.k.a. co-op. Basically, it adds an extra year to my college experience by allowing me to work at a job for one full year. The problem is that my parent's do not agree. They believe it's a waste of time because I could have pursued a higher degree such as a master's instead of just doing a bachelor's and gaining one year of job experience.

So my question is do I have to listen to my parent's in this situation, or am I allowed to ignore their request and pave my own career path?

Jazakallah Khair, may Allah bless us all with Jannah tul Firdaus. Ameen.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Jalal~
05-01-2013, 12:24 AM
bump bump bump

Futuwwa
05-01-2013, 12:43 AM
This is an individual matter, not a family matter, therefore I see no reason why you should conform to paternal authority in this case.

Muhammad
05-01-2013, 12:47 AM
:wasalamex

Look at it from another angle, akhee. Rather than focusing on whether it is allowed or not, try to do the option that will both benefit you and keep them happy also. If you've done your research to know that doing this extra year of experience will definitely be helpful, then maybe you can persuade and discuss your findings with them. On the other hand, there are indeed some people with bachelor's degrees who are struggling to find work and your parents may well have good reason for their advice. Try to maintain good communication and discuss your options - keep your parents involved in the decisions you make. And remember to ask Allaah :swt: for guidance also. We are in need of our parents' du'as and they are our keys to Jannah. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!