/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Profile Pictures on Social Networking Sites

anonymous
04-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Assalamu Aleykum w Rahmatullahi w Barakatuh,

A lot of Muslim brothers and sisters including myself are members on social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter etc. I was wondering if it's ok to have a profile picture on these websites.. I've never seen it as a problem for a long time: I wear a hijab Alhamdulillah and my photos have always been covered, as I'd usually be if I were outside.. I was a little confused on this topic because I thought surely it should be ok, random people see my face everyday when I'm outside anyway.. But on the other hand I feel like I'm exposing my face to the world (I know I sound ridiculous!)

So would it be okay to have a profile picture? Any advice would be appreciated!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Haya emaan
04-14-2013, 09:16 PM
walaikum assalam warahmatullah wabarakatahu sister

apart from that you are allowed or not to show your picture in public even if you don't cover your face outside(inshaAllah some one more knowledgeable would clarify it), i have came around a campaign going on in social websites which shows that how some people copy a part of your picture (face) from a well modest picture and edit n adjust it in some dirty backgrounds... your profile pics are your personal possession but when you upload it on internet you loose the copyrights of it.. every one is free to use it.. better to be careful

Futuwwa
04-14-2013, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haya emaan
your profile pics are your personal possession but when you upload it on internet you loose the copyrights of it.. every one is free to use it..
Actualy copyright legislation disagrees.

tigerkhan
04-15-2013, 12:17 AM
:sl:
anytime when i came across these controversial question, pics, music, niqab, beard.... i never understand why ppl stress much on their opinion. definitely its their weak eman and sometimes they try to satisfy themselves that what they r doing is rite. like most of times a person with out beard /niqab will stress it is not fardh..etc etc
personally i always prefer to have myself on safe side... i mean to choose which is better "to have a pic" or "not to have a pic"...think yourself which is better. there is no harm in later one option and there are some possible harm in having a pic. so don't get into debates chooses the best one. and if still u feel some desire of going to first option, be aware that will be your nafs.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Haya emaan
04-15-2013, 08:03 AM
originally posted by sis islamica

In Islam, we are told to lower our gaze and that first gaze is forgiven but second is a sin. When we are outside, people may look at us or not and either way it is on their head in regards to what action they take. The sin we will get while outside will depend on how modest or immodest we appear in public. The trouble with online is that once your picture is up, it's up for good. While you can change the situation in person by leaving the public and going home, you can't do that online. When you put you picture up, then anyone can come and look at it as long as they want, even save it to their pc for later viewing. Who is responsible for that? it is the poster who made his/her picture available to others. There are also people out there who will take your picture and replace your head-shot with a dirty picture and post that back online, there are bad sites out there that have fake hijabi pics on there because of the demand sick fetish of the kuffars. also, if they know you then try to blackmail you with it. There are many threads out there with information on the negative side of putting too much information on these social sites, just google " Beware of Facebook and other Social sites" see what you find. Not to mention that FB serves as a big ID database for intelligence agencies where in addition to having your personal information, a list of people (friends) you associate with and your daily update of your life you are also providing a photograph which facebook face recognition software can match with any camera in the world to track you.

here's one example of what can happen. - http://hostingd.imagecross.com/image...3457FB-pic.jpg

~Zaria~
04-15-2013, 08:49 AM
:salamext: sister,

The beauty of a woman resides (predominantly) in her face.

For this reason, it would not make sense for a muslimah to expose this beauty to the world.....and more-so, to complete strangers.

The one who is staring at your picture (un-beknown to you) is guilty of not guarding his gaze.
But so will we be guilty, if we are the means of enabling this sin to occur.

Alhamdulillah, it is a favour of Allah that He has guided you to hijab.
In shaa Allah, you will also oneday appreciate the wisdom and the honour that Allah (subhanawataƔla) has given women, by means of the niqaab.

I hope that you will listen to this short talk by Mufti Menk in shaa Allah:

The message being that:

"Everyone who is trying - TRY HARDER.
There is no level that you can get to, and say that now I have arrived."

We should constantly be striving to get to the next level, beyond the one where we are....

:wasalam:

IbnAbdulHakim
04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
ill tell you now. i have lost respect and even lost touch with many people due to social networking sites. and i feel deep hate when i see profile oictures.

Allah knows why but i am not lying. i feel very upset when seeing profile pictures of peoplei know onmthe net

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!