/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does Islam teach Hospitality towards Guests/Strangers/Others ?

truthseeker63
04-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Does Islam teach Hospitality towards Guests/Strangers/Others ? I notice Secular Society is based on Individualism Selfishness and Materialism. I understand many Religions like Christianity and Sikhism Juidaism may accept a Secular State and Secular States have Freedom of Religion as did the Godless Atheist State the Soviet Union buit very few people in Western Society really folow their Religions as ways of life they view Religion as a culture. When I was a Young Christian a Non Muslim in School the Muslims did show me Hospitality even though Im Handicapped/Disabled which People look down on these People don't want to be Friendly towards you anyway I know Muslims are not perfect but Muslims I know take their Religion serious and show Compassion it is very sad that many Muslim Majority Nations are Secular and some Muslims in the West support the Secular way of life. My point is that the Hospitality which Muslims show is one reason among many as to why many Non Muslims I know and hear about convet/revert to Islam this is a reason as to why I did. I understand it is hard to give up the Secular way of life being raised in the West but it is possible thank you everyone anyone please reply thank you for you're time ?

Islam will enter in every single house

Uploaded on Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joVeiSt2Ox8

What does Islam say about hospitality?

I'm a non-muslim who's travelled a fair bit in the Arab world, and found that the people there are easily the most hospitable that I've ever come across. This intrigues me because it goes against the prevalent western view of Islamic people (which I in no way share).
I am though interested to find out what causes this extreme hospitality. I've been looking around the internet to see if I can find any relevant quotes in the Koran relating to travellers or strangers but without any success. Now I'm wondering if it's just due to cultural reasons separate from religious doctrine.
Can anyone help shed some light on this? What is Islam's take on hospitality to strangers? Koran quotes would be appreciated too. Thanks a lot.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...3231213AAi9X0l

The basic differences between Islamic and non-Islamic state

Javed Ahmad

First Islamic State was established in Medina and it expanded over the continents under the single central rule of Caliphate. [Now-a-days, a new term has been invented “Muslims Country” which basically means a Muslim majority secular nation. We should not confuse a Muslim country with an Islamic state.]

States are divided into geographical boundaries on the basis of language, race, culture and religion.

Predominantly people from a same ethnicity, race, culture and religious background. The citizens may have a religious connection but normally upholds secularism above their religions.

Toil and trading is encouraged in the Qur’an as a way of life when it comes to making a living. Prophet (S) himself was a trader in his young life looking after the business of Khadija (R) who became his wife later. Many of the companions of the Prophet (S) were traders. Others toiled in regular jobs helping each other for a pre-negotiated pay. A national treasury used to collect compulsory zakat (poor due @ 2 ½ %) from the rich Muslims and disburse to the needy in an organized manner following the Islamic principles. Non-Muslims paid zizya (tax) for an equivalent amount or higher as determined by the state to the treasury that went to other developmental activities. Muslims also encouraged paying sadaqah (charities) on a regular basis through out the year voluntarily.

Muslims live a simple life sharing their personal resources with their neighbors harmonizing the society as a whole to achieve equilibrium. They go to bed early in order to wake up the next day in the early morning to offer fajr (morning) prayer in jammat (congregation) to begin the day. This results in proper use of daylight. They work 7 days a week taking a breaks for prayers in jamaat especially on Friday for Jumma congregation prayer closing all their businesses and engagements during the prayer times. Therefore, the concept of ‘weekend’ is absent. Muslims see this Earth as a transit to a permanent life after death where all good actions done in life will be rewarded by Allah. Therefore, they do not care much for this world and prefers a simple lifestyle to stay focused on prayers and worships.

Encourages employment for higher tax earnings; also encourages growth and development of businesses for job creation through bank loans with interests. Tax areas include income, sales or VAT, property, which could run up to an exuberant 50% or higher! In addition, corporations also pay taxes on the same amount that goes to the employees who are taxed again on the same taxed amount! A secular system is extremely expensive to run and maintain where the government employees enjoy job securities and tax free income on people’s money! Some rich philanthropists engage in some charity work often on some return motives or under some strict conditions.

The secularists do not want the common people to understand the true meaning of life and wants hide God from them so that they worship them and serve them instead of the real creator – the Lord God Almighty Allah. They want to enslave their citizens so that they will work hard and pay taxes for the comfort of the people working for the ruling people in the government and standing military.

They aspire to separate the religion from the state and make the religion of Islam into a personalized religion not having anything to do with state and governance. But an Islamic state is fundamental to survival of this great religion Islam. Allah wants the Muslims (His caliphs or representatives) to take up the management and control of world affairs to rule justly and maintain peace and harmony among the nations as it has done earlier for over a thousand years.

People living under a secular system aspire for good and luxurious lifestyle on Earth as they hardly believe in a life after death. They see this world as the only life to live, so they try to live it to the fullest even if it means by hook or by crook. Care for morality and ethics is a rare in a secular society while lust and greed is random. They stay up late after sunset watching TV or other engagements and wakes up much later after sun rise to rush to work for a normal eight hour a day shift. Some work other shifts depending on the nature of their job. This rat race makes them tired; as a result they take two days (Saturday and Sunday) off from work calling it a weekend to rest and to enjoy recouping for another week race. Religious minded people often pay a weekly visit to their respective houses of worship (Jews on Saturdays, and Christians on Sunday) but the number is considerably low.

http://javedahmad.tripod.com/islam/differences.htm

Individualism is an important pillar of Western Secularism and dominates many of the relationships that exist between people in Western societies. Individualism stipulates that people should put their interests first and foremost. This imbues in people a selfish mentality and encourages people to satisfy their own needs before the needs of others. Furthermore, individualism leads people to view responsibility as a burden and a hindrance towards the fulfilment of their selfish motives. Therefore, it is common to find people in the West, especially in the social sphere, entering and leaving relationships in order to avoid responsibility - all of which has a detrimental effect on society. Hence rampant fornication, abortions, single parent families, fathers avoiding child maintenance costs, mothers forsaking children to pursue careers, parents giving up children to foster homes and wanton child abuse are all symptoms of individualism.

http://www.khilafah.com/index.php/co...se-in-the-west

Etiquette in the Middle East

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many matters of etiquette in the Middle East are connected to Islam as it is written in the Qur'an and how it has been traditionally understood and practiced throughout the centuries. Prescribed Islamic etiquette is referred to as Adab, and described as "refinement, good manners, morals, ethics, decorum, decency, humaneness and righteousness".[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquet...he_Middle_East

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
04-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Hospitality is a great things and something I deeply appreciate in Islamic (and other) cultures.

I agree that Western societies have become self-centered, concentrating on the individual rather than the community. It is a great loss to humanity and I hope that we can recapture a desire to support community and society as a whole, rather than the most able and powerful getting the best for themselves and all others striving to become just as rich and powerful ...

I see pockets of people caring for those who are disadvantaged, for the sick, the poor, the disabled and the elderly.
We need to learn to look out for the whole of society and seek the greatest good for all.
It's going to be a long journey, but one I am willing to take.

I am not sure that secularism is all evil in this and Islam all great. My guess is that it is more complicated than that. There are many self-less and caring secularists, just as there are bound to be selfish and self-centered Muslims. It would be great if we could all learn from each other and take the best from each other's cultures and traditions to make this world a better place.

And yes, Islam would be great at teaching the rest of the world hospitality! :)

Hulk
04-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Adab in Islam is not mere etiquette though it is part of it. I wish I could talk about its' importance and deep meaning but I lack the knowledge and ability to express it. It is in a sense understanding the proper places of things which is a big part of being educated.

greenhill
06-08-2013, 02:02 PM
It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces towards East or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and give Zakat (regular charity); to fulfill the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the God fearing. (2:177)

Yes it does say something about it in the Quran. It appears in a few other places too!

Hope it answer your question.

Peace:shade:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
observer
06-08-2013, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
I notice Secular Society is based on Individualism Selfishness and Materialism.
Erm, no, it's not.

truthseeker63
06-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Observer Secular Society is Godless it wants people who believe in God to be tolerant of evil life styles like Homosexuality.

observer
06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
Observer Secular Society is Godless it wants people who believe in God to be tolerant of evil life styles like Homosexuality.
Godless does not equal without morality. What secular society wants is that people can live as they wish to without hurting others. It is secular society that allows a plurality of religions and lifestyles to be practised in freedom - something for which we should be grateful.

You may feel homosexuality is evil, to many it patently is not. What they do hurts no-one and should be respected and treated equally. If you believe that what they do is against god then surely god can decide that when they die? Why do you need to worry about it?

Hulk
06-18-2013, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by observer
Godless does not equal without morality. What secular society wants is that people can live as they wish to without hurting others. It is secular society that allows a plurality of religions and lifestyles to be practised in freedom - something for which we should be grateful.
In a secular society where morality is based on what majority feel is right, what is right and what is wrong is always changing. Some call it "progress" but I think any intelligent observer of society would see it as regress.

A secular society gives the illusion that it allows religion to be equal but the truth is that it firstly reduces religion into a mere "private ordeal". Forcing women to remove their head dress because it is a "religious symbol". It fools a lot of people into thinking that it is "fair" but that is not the truth.

observer
06-18-2013, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
In a secular society where morality is based on what majority feel is right, what is right and what is wrong is always changing. Some call it "progress" but I think any intelligent observer of society would see it as regress.

A secular society gives the illusion that it allows religion to be equal but the truth is that it firstly reduces religion into a mere "private ordeal". Forcing women to remove their head dress because it is a "religious symbol". It fools a lot of people into thinking that it is "fair" but that is not the truth.

Why would you say it was regress? What has changed for the worse for the greater good?

It's a fact that if you are a muslim / jew / sikh / hindu or any other non-traditional (speaking from a European Christian perspective) religion practising in western Europe or the USA then you have directly benefitted from secularism. Without secularism there would be no freedom of religion. Church and state were separated to avoid religious interference in individuals' lives.

And it's important to say that the removal of head covering is not a secularist thing in general - most secularist countries don't ask for that.

جوري
06-18-2013, 02:55 PM
There's no 'greater good' when the bottom line of everything is a dollar not 'human life' secularism doesn't stratify people based on religion is the biggest lie in history in fact it's the greatest cast system ever and covers its tract in paper quite well and with florid language and sophistry!

People have a sole purpose in a secular society and that's to produce- they're under the delusion that they're free when in fact they're slaves!
Progress us never for the benefit or the good of mankind but to pad the wallet of a greedy one percent!

جوري
06-18-2013, 02:56 PM
There's no 'greater good' when the bottom line of everything is a dollar not 'human life' secularism doesn't stratify people based on religion is the biggest lie in history in fact it's the greatest cast system ever and covers its tract in paper quite well and with florid language and sophistry!

People have a sole purpose in a secular society and that's to produce- they're under the delusion that they're free when in fact they're slaves!
Progress us never for the benefit or the good of mankind but to pad the wallet of a greedy one percent!

observer
06-18-2013, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by جوري

I think it's true that there is no such thing as a perfect secular system, but likewise a perfect religious system is also impossible. I think secularism offers the greatest freedom and opportunity to the greatest number of people and thus is the only possible system in a modern world where culture and heritage is exported around the world as populations move and the concept of "this is a Christian / Muslim / whatever" country becomes more and more nonsensical.

جوري
06-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Your 'thoughts' aren't facts!
A perfect system is the one designed by God - worked great for centuries until its dissolution!

We now merely have to wait to see another man made system fail while watching more countries under occupation to sustain the failure.

observer
06-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Your 'thoughts' aren't facts!
A perfect system is the one designed by God - worked great for centuries until its dissolution!

We now merely have to wait to see another man made system fail while watching more countries under occupation to sustain the failure.
An Islamic system is fine - if it only covers muslims. How can it possibly hope to deal with the multicultural societies that we have today?

جوري
06-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Maybe you ought to invest in some history books?

Best,

Hulk
06-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Why would you say it was regress? What has changed for the worse for the greater good?
Modesty for one has taken a toll.

It's a fact that if you are a muslim / jew / sikh / hindu or any other non-traditional (speaking from a European Christian perspective) religion practising in western Europe or the USA then you have directly benefitted from secularism. Without secularism there would be no freedom of religion. Church and state were separated to avoid religious interference in individuals' lives.
That's not really an argument for secularism, I never said that secularism forces one to outright abandon their religion, though currently there are even discussions like whether "is there is a place for religion in our modern society".

It's also incorrect to say "Without secularism there would be no freedom of religion", it assumes that the only way for there to be freedom of religion is to adopt the idea that God is inconsequential to daily life(secularism).

And it's important to say that the removal of head covering is not a secularist thing in general - most secularist countries don't ask for that.
I'd be interested to hear from you what "thing" that is instead.(not in this thread)

As the main topic is hospitality, it'd be best to not derail by having a separate discussion. If you'd like you can create another thread.

observer
06-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by observer
I'd be interested to hear from you what "thing" that is instead.(not in this thread)

As the main topic is hospitality, it'd be best to not derail by having a separate discussion. If you'd like you can create another thread.

I just meant that secularism doesn't mean "no religious symbols". Individual countries have employed that - not worth a separate thread I don't think!

And just on modesty - that's such a subjective thing to define. Islamic modesty is only one form. Look at island tribal societies where nudity is the norm and clothes are more or less unnecessary. Are they immodest? It's an extreme example but I think it highlights the issue.

I think, personally, that religion is too obsessed with sex and sexuality with regard to clothing. If I can't look at a man or woman dressed as they wish and not think the worst then I'd say that the problem was mine, not theirs.

جوري
06-18-2013, 04:50 PM
People who are poor and tribal can't afford clothes - yes
Lack of clothing is usually a sign of enslavement and subjugation not another form if 'modesty'
I guess modern day definitions of terms are more allowing
Against means for per CNN, modesty means feathers and stones for garment!

Anything goes per secularism except for a moral compass!

Hulk
06-18-2013, 05:04 PM
I just meant that secularism doesn't mean "no religious symbols". Individual countries have employed that - not worth a separate thread I don't think!
I meant on the issue as a whole, however since it is related anyway.
I never said secularism means "no religious symbols". The idea of enraging one's modesty simply by saying that it is a "religious symbol" is based on the idea that it doesn't need to be there.

And just on modesty - that's such a subjective thing to define. Islamic modesty is only one form. Look at island tribal societies where nudity is the norm and clothes are more or less unnecessary. Are they immodest? It's an extreme example but I think it highlights the issue.

I think, personally, that religion is too obsessed with sex and sexuality with regard to clothing. If I can't look at a man or woman dressed as they wish and not think the worst then I'd say that the problem was mine, not theirs.
Using tribal societies as an example is not an extreme example but a wrong example. That is their condition and situation, do you really think they are in the same situation and condition as the society you are living in?

The only reason you think religion is "too obsessed with sex and sexuality with regard to clothing" is because you've either been so desensitized by living in such a society that you apply the same thought to everyone else or you're in denial about the innate traits of a human being. Your society which is based on secularism is ok with having nudie bars, prostitution, etc and somehow you feel it is right to say that religion is obsessed with sexuality?

If I can't look at a man or woman dressed as they wish and not think the worst then I'd say that the problem was mine, not theirs.
I never said anything about whose problem it was. Though I do think that you're kidding yourself with thinking that someone doesn't need to be responsible with how they present themselves to others.

This is what happens in a society where morality is so easily swayed. To be frank, in terms of modesty it seems that the secular idea of progress for it is to be as close to the animals as possible. Though at least animals wear fur.

observer
06-18-2013, 07:23 PM
People who are poor and tribal can't afford clothes - yes
You've missed the point - not people who can't afford clothes but those that traditionally don't need them (think some Brazilian / Papuan tribes for example). Anyway it's somewhat by-the-by now.

observer
06-18-2013, 07:24 PM
The only reason you think religion is "too obsessed with sex and sexuality with regard to clothing" is because you've either been so desensitized by living in such a society that you apply the same thought to everyone else or you're in denial about the innate traits of a human being. Your society which is based on secularism is ok with having nudie bars, prostitution, etc and somehow you feel it is right to say that religion is obsessed with sexuality?
Or maybe there is just another way of thinking about modesty than your way? Personally, I think there's room for both. I don't wish to impose my idea of modesty on you but nor do I wish your idea of modesty to be imposed on me.

جوري
06-18-2013, 07:28 PM
No points missed from this end including leaving well enough alone - west shouldn't have tried to civilize them to extinction as usual!

observer
06-18-2013, 07:30 PM
No points missed from this end including leaving well enough alone - west shouldn't have tried to civilize them to extinction as usual!
Well, I wasn't talking about poverty or colonies so, yeah. I think the point was missed. Just a bit.

جوري
06-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Neither is a point I was addressing!

Best,

UmmuShaheed
06-18-2013, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hospitality is a great things and something I deeply appreciate in Islamic (and other) cultures.

I agree that Western societies have become self-centered, concentrating on the individual rather than the community. It is a great loss to humanity and I hope that we can recapture a desire to support community and society as a whole, rather than the most able and powerful getting the best for themselves and all others striving to become just as rich and powerful ...

I see pockets of people caring for those who are disadvantaged, for the sick, the poor, the disabled and the elderly.
We need to learn to look out for the whole of society and seek the greatest good for all.
It's going to be a long journey, but one I am willing to take.

I am not sure that secularism is all evil in this and Islam all great. My guess is that it is more complicated than that. There are many self-less and caring secularists, just as there are bound to be selfish and self-centered Muslims. It would be great if we could all learn from each other and take the best from each other's cultures and traditions to make this world a better place.

And yes, Islam would be great at teaching the rest of the world hospitality! :)
Your right, there are some selfish and self-centered Muslims.
But that simply means they don't portray Islam properly. Look at the hospitality of the prophet mohamed (may peace and blessings be upon him) you may not agree, but as Muslims we know and believe the laws of Islam in any topic is complete and perfect.
and you may see so yourself. In'sha'allah. Dig a lil deeper :p

Hulk
06-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Or maybe there is just another way of thinking about modesty than your way? Personally, I think there's room for both. I don't wish to impose my idea of modesty on you but nor do I wish your idea of modesty to be imposed on me.
The issue of modesty is only a small part, I never imposed any standard of modesty on you. What I pointed out was secularism's idea of progress in which modesty has taken a toll. People generally covering themselves less and less, is that a regress in the society's original understanding of modesty or not? The answer is obvious.

Your stand on modesty being subjective though reflects how morality in secularism is subjective as well. Of course it's subjective to a secular ideology, because as I said it is based on what majority believes is right at that point in time. All that matters is the here and now, since that's all there is.

As and as you described "living as one wishes, without hurting others.".

And that to you includes dressing however you wants to dress, be it naked or not, because if someone has an issue with it that's their problem not yours.

Take a look at what is in the media today which supposedly "isn't hurting others" and think about how it will affect the society that it is exposed to. You can go on youtube and look for The Impact Of Secular Media Worldviews.

There is more to being a responsible human being than not directly/physically hurting others.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!