/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Have You Checked Your Vitamin D Levels?

~Zaria~
04-15-2013, 02:49 PM
:salam:

To all my sisters (esp) - who are fully covered when leaving home and do not get enough sun exposure,

Have you checked your Vitamin D Levels recently?

Ive just checked mine, and its come back as 4.4ng/ ml (< 10ng/ml is regarded as 'Severe Deficiency'; 30 -100ng/ml is Vitamin D sufficient).

Which would explain my low energy levels, concentration, suppressed immune system and a depressed mood, for no real reason.......as well as the recent wrist pains and twitching around my mouth (that has occurred a few times now).

Alhamdulillah, my calcium level is normal - which would mean that my body is working over-time to 'suck up' calcium from my bones (to keep my levels within normal limits).
Not good news for my bones! imsad

(If you are wondering why it has taken me so long to get checked, as Ive suspected this for almost a year now.......the reason is, Im scared of needles! :/ )

So, for all those who do not get enough sunlight (which is our main source of vitamin D) - yes, you are 'Hijabi/ Niqaabi-prone!'.....I would suggest that you check your levels as well, in shaa Allah.

Heres a short over-view of why vitamin D is important for our bodies:

Bone health

Vitamin D deficiency causes osteomalacia (called rickets when it occurs in children). Beyond that, low serum vitamin D levels have been associated with falls, and low bone mineral density......

Multiple sclerosis

Low levels of vitamin D are associated with multiple sclerosis. Supplementation with vitamin D may have a protective effect but there are uncertainties and unanswered questions.[27][28][29] "The reasons why vitamin D deficiency is thought to be a risk factor for MS are as follows: (1) MS frequency increases with increasing latitude, which is strongly inversely correlated with duration and intensity of UVB from sunlight and vitamin D concentrations; (2) prevalence of MS is lower than expected at high latitudes in populations with high consumption of vitamin-D-rich fatty fish; and (3) MS risk seems to decrease with migration from high to low latitudes."[27] A clinical trial sponsored by Charite University in Berlin, Germany was begun in 2011, with the goal of examining the efficacy, safety and tolerability of vitamin D3 in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

Other

Vitamin D appears to have effects on immune function.[36] It has been postulated to play a role in influenza with lack of vitamin D synthesis during the winter as one explanation for high rates of influenza infection during the winter.[37] For viral infections, other implicated factors include low relative humidities produced by indoor heating and low temperatures that favor virus spread.[38] Low levels of vitamin D appear to be a risk factor for tuberculosis,[39] and historically it was used as a treatment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

:wasalam:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
04-15-2013, 04:16 PM
:sl:

not that i'm a sister, cuz i'm not. :p

but there is some recent information about vitamin D and whether or not the vitamin D that you are getting is actually being used by your body. there appears to be a missing key that few are aware of. that key is K2. here's a short video, along with the full interview.

:wa:

~Zaria~
04-17-2013, 07:25 PM
:salam:

^ Thats an excellent video.

JazakAllahu khair for sharing it.

Its true - not many physicians are aware of the benefits of Vitamin K2 on the bone - in fact our national bone/ osteoporosis guidelines have made absolutely no mention of vitamin K2 in terms of therapy!
Hence its not commonly prescribed here for vitamin D deficiency or in osteoporosis.

You have no idea how this has inspired me in other ways.....
Shukran for this post!!

(Btw. Im now on Vit D, Calcium and Vit K2 supplements.....until I can get my levels up.
Then its about working on my diet and trying to get adequate sun exposure every day in shaa Allah)

:jz:

:wasalam:

YusufNoor
04-17-2013, 09:25 PM
:sl:

it's not just for your bones, i have heart disease; and it is also good for aiding your body in destroying cancer cells. organic eggs, Gouda and Brie cheeses should be added to your diet on a regular basis.

along with your sunshine, natural doctors are also recommending that, if you can, walk on the ground (real ground, not hard top or cement) in your bare feet for about 15 minutes a day.

it's all cheaper than supplements, but misguided farming has weakened the nutritional value of our food. imsad

:wa:

and stay away from fluoridated water and aspartame!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-18-2013, 12:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
organic eggs, Gouda and Brie
I just love it when you talk food mm..
Sr. Zaria practically everybody has a vit D deficiency.. in the east because they're covered up and dark skin doesn't take the vit as well as lighter skin, in the west because of the use of sunblock etc. doctors now are prescribing obscene amounts 50k units - I don't agree with that, I think when there's a deficiency that's gradual so should the cure be..

:w:

YusufNoor
04-18-2013, 05:15 AM
did you watch the vid? watch the first shorter one. i'm working on the longer one, but the pc i use to burn dvds died. imsad
i'm trying to revive it, but unsuccessful so far.

this mail just came from Dr Mercola, like 3 minutes ago:
http://products.mercola.com/vitamin-...30418ProdTest1

snowflake122
05-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Assalamu alaikum ,

Vitamin D deficiency with me also. My doctor said its because of the headscarf and niqab I wear .. I Guess its very common now .
Now I am on supplements.

The videos are beneficial.
Thank you , JazakaAllahu khair

newmslma
06-01-2013, 05:29 AM
I had a Vitamin D deficiency. I took 50k Vitamin D once a week, then increased to 100k, then increased to 100k once a week and 5k daily and finally after about a year and a half, got my level just into the normal range. There are many benefits to having adequate Vitamin D levels and that includes decreasing inflammation in people with chronic pain (which I have). My deficiency actually started before I started wearing hijab (I'm a relatively new Muslim). I need to get my level checked again though I still take about 5000 a day. It is worth getting checked for sure. May Allah keep you all healthy, Ameen.

sister herb
06-01-2013, 05:56 AM
Salam alaykum

I get my D vitamin from cod-liver oil what I take... +o( It doesn´t taste good at all. Also I eat eggs, fish, mushrooms and drink milk.

Also seems I have got "happy genes". I am 46 but my blood pressure is same like 20 years old.

My genes are from my mom I think. She is 80, with no chronic disease. Hers doc told her that she may lives to 100 years old.

BeTheChange
01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Guess what?

My vitamin D levels are 0.2. I was in called in by my doctor and as soon as i entered her room she congratulated me. I gave her the biggest smile and felt proud of myself. I thought she was going to say she's found something amazing about me :-[ but much to my disappointment, she explained throughout her 40 years of profession she hasn't seen anyone with such low levels of vitamin D.

It should be around 30 mark i think. There's not much sun in the UK and when there is am all covered up and you only get a little percentage from food.

So not much i can do apart from eat the foods which are supplemented with vitamin d

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!