/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I want to take my hijab off? Please help!?

greeneyes
04-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Salaam everyone,

I'm a 18-year-old girl and have been wearing the hijab since I was 12. Ever since I started University, I feel like I've been getting a lot more unwanted/unasked attention from both non Muslim and Muslim guys. For instance, I was walking to one of my classes, and this blond guy I pass by says "Hey beautiful." For obvious reasons, I didn't think he was talking to me so I kept going. Then he went and tapped my shoulder from behind to get my attention and starts talking to me, basically saying stuff like he thinks I'm beautiful and he wants my number.

Another time, I was at the cafe in my university and ordered a smoothie and the MUSLIM guy behind the counter said something weird like, "You want a smoothie? Baby, I'M the smoothest thing you could get here..."

And a few days ago I was waiting at the valet parking for my car when another blonde guy came up to me and kept asking for my number and was trying to buy me a drink.

These weren't the only situations (there were more) but obviously I'm not gonna post my life story on here lol The thing is that every time I tell them I'm Muslim and I don't date (or drink), they won't take no for an answer or keep asking to at least be friends with me. If this happened once or twice, I wouldn't really care, but the amount of times it's happening is starting to make me uncomfortable now. I grew up in both Canada and the U.S. and I thought it was pretty obvious that a woman in hijab is considered not interested in any kind of relationship with guys...

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is this: what's the point of wearing a hijab if it's suddenly attracting me all this attention? I feel like if I were to stop wearing my hijab I wouldn't stand out as much as I do now, and less guys would pay attention to me. I don't really want to take it off, but I feel like if I do just for a few months the flirting thing would eventually stop by the time I wear a hijab again.

BTW, I do dress conservatively and barely ever wear makeup, so I know it's not my looks or body that's attracting all this attention.

I would really appreciate some advice on this from an outside party.
If you managed to read this far, thank you!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadan90
04-17-2013, 07:47 PM
I would be very suspicious. Do these guys know each other? Sister, be very careful. Not could these guys onlybe dangerous, but shaytan is tricking you into zina. Remember that Allah is seeing you. Keep saying no and if they cant leave you alone, report them to the police or tell your family what is going on. You only wear the hijab for ALLAH. Always have that intention. You are doing it to please Allah, not anyone else.

I hope a wise brother or sister here can give you some better advice.

Alpha Dude
04-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,
what's the point of wearing a hijab if it's suddenly attracting me all this attention?
You are doing it to please Allah and fulfil your obligation toward him.

Not wearing hijab is a sin. You should continue to wear it and be persistent in saying no to these people who approach you. Men flirt with any women they can lay their eyes on.

Mukafi7
04-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Salam Sister,

Women wear the hijab for numerous reasons. More importantly to satisfy their own belief in Islam and to develop their faith. Removing your hijab will not result in less attention. However, please allow me to be bunt here as it seems you are looking for reasons to remove your Hijab. If that is the case, then you do not need our opinion. Not trying to judge you, but just calling it the way it is.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
if you stop wearing hijaab you will start disobeying Allah for a very small relief on this world.

i recently read the story of a tabieen during the time of umar radhiallahu anhu who always use to attend the prayers in jammaat and then walk home to take care of his father. because this young man was exceptionally handsome women use to tempt him every time he walked to the masjid. once during one of these temptations he gave in slightly and as he was feeling his soul succumb an ayaah of the quran pierced his heart so strongly that he died there and then. his father not knowjng where his son was grew worried and searched for him and found him dead. the amir ul mu'mineen himself worried and searched for him.

this young man spent his whole life fighting temptation.

if you really have that much beauty. then you need to stay strong...

this world is so short....

~Zaria~
04-17-2013, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Men flirt with any women they can lay their eyes on.

Thats so sad. imsad

Mukafi7
04-17-2013, 08:20 PM
I agree with you Sister Zaria, that is sad. However, I fortunately do not agree with the statement that men flirt with any woman they lay eyes on. It is a generalization and very misleading.

Alpha Dude
04-17-2013, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mukafi7
It is a generalization and very misleading.
True. What I meant to say was, in a university/school environment (where the OP is), she will find men left right and centre who only have one thing on their mind, and that would be to chase girls and try their luck.

Periwinkle18
04-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Don't talk ur hijab off my dear sis its the most beautiful thing there ever is n ignore those losers that won't leave u even if u take ur hib off trust me.

You wore it for Allah don't take it off Cuz of sum silly ppl maybe this is a test for u.

Stay strong
Take care sis :)
Assalam o alikum

Naeema
04-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Don't do it, Sister. What's happening now may be because you are older and out in the world - not because of your hijab. You are right that you hijab serves as a signal to many in the US and Canada that you are "off limits". If you take it off, you will no longer have that piece of cloth between you and the world. I think your best next step would be to talk with other sisters and find out how they tell men politely that they are not interested.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-17-2013, 08:45 PM
only the losers amongst men chase every girl they see.

i have non-muslim colleagues that never ever chase girls out of respect. nd they are very handsome men too.

Mukafi7
04-17-2013, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Naeema
Don't do it, Sister. What's happening now may be because you are older and out in the world - not because of your hijab. You are right that you hijab serves as a signal to many in the US and Canada that you are "off limits". If you take it off, you will no longer have that piece of cloth between you and the world. I think your best next step would be to talk with other sisters and find out how they tell men politely that they are not interested.
In my humble opinion this is the best advice anyone can give you.

Also, let's not forget the following:

Mostly People Talk About Hijab Of Women, But They Neglect The Hijab Of Men In Their Posts And Talks. Yes It's True That Hijab For Women Is Very Very Important But At The Same Time We Should Not Forget That The Hijab For Men Is Also Important.

Allah Says In The Qur'an:
"Say To The Believing Men That They Should Lower Their Gaze And Guard Their Modesty; That Will Make For Greater Purity For Them; And Allah Is Well Acquainted With All That They Do"
[Surah Noor 24, Verse 30]

In This Verse Allah Talks About The Hijab For Men, Which Is LOWERING THEIR GAZE. The Above Mentioned Verse Clearly Tells The Believing Men To Lower Their Gaze. And In The Next Verse Allah Tells The Believing Women To Do Hijab. Allah First Tells Men To Lower Their Gaze Before He Talks About Women. It Shows The Importance Of The Hijab For Men.

tigerkhan
04-18-2013, 06:28 AM
btw u need niqaab...:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!