/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lemons.

abo mussaab
04-17-2013, 08:58 PM
The Nutritional, Antioxidant and Cleansing Power of Lemons.

Lemons are an extrememly useful and health beneficial fruit, with their fresh taste and nutritional, antioxidant and cleansing powers, they contain a wealth of health-enhancing properties.

The lemon is actually a hybrid citrus tree developed as a cross between a lime and a citron, an ancient fruit that is best known for its fragrant peel, and mentioned by the scholar Ibn al-Qayyim in his Prophetic medicine. The lemon is an oval-shaped fruit used for its juice, pulp and rind zest in cooking.

Ibn al-Qayyim on the Citron

Ibn al-Qayyim described the health benefits of the citron in his Prophetic medicine. Among the uses of the scented peel of the fruit, he said that it sweetened the breath and aided digestion. He mentioned some of the benefits of the pulp as being beneficial for the liver and stomach, and quenching thirst. The seeds of the fruit were described as having a dissolving and dessicative (drying or preserving) power, and being beneficial for all kinds of poisons and bites.

Health Benefits of Lemons

Lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C. they also contain Vitamin A, folate, calcium and potassium. Limonene, a compound shown to have anticancer properties in laboratory animals, is present in lemons. All citrus fruits are high in flavonoids, the most common antioxidant found in fruits and vegetables and shown in studies to block substances that cause cancer and heart disease.

Some of the studies into the health benefits of lemons include:

cancer

In laboratory tests, citrus limonoids have been shown to fight cancers of the mouth, skin, lung, breast, stomach and colon, and human neuroblastoma tumors, which occur most often in children. Next to cranberries, lemons were more potent in killing human liver cancer cells. Because of limonoids' ability to stay in the bloodstream for an extended period of time, researchers believe that they may be better suited for suppressing cancer cell growth than any other nutrient. In comparison, phenols in green tea typically stay in the system for only four to six hours.

Rheumatoid arthritis

Vitamin C-rich foods provide protection against inflammatory polyarthritis, a form of arthritis involving two or more joints. A research study involving more than 20,000 subjects found that subjects who consumed the lowest amounts of vitamin C-rich foods were more than three times more likely to develop arthritis that those who consumed the highest amounts.

Tips on Using Lemons

* A room temperature lemon will yield more juice than a cold one.

* The antibacterial quality of lemons makes them beneficial for clearing up pimples, mouth ulcers, and sore throats.

* Lemon juice has antiseptic properties. It can be used as a natural household cleaner, stain remover and odor eliminator.

* Lemon juice mixed with honey or ginger is a well-known and effective treatment for cold and flu relief.

* Adding lemon juice to water makes a delicious and nutritious substitute for artificially flavored beverages, and has cleansing and detoxifying properties as well as freshening the breath.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Taabuu
04-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Great articles.
Thank for sharing.:statisfie

Periwinkle18
04-26-2013, 10:34 AM
:)

Made lemonade just Yest with my kids at school :)

nila11
06-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Lemon is small but had full of benefited vegetable we are using lemon in various style like we using in salad, dishes as a vinegar and also use in pickle.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
06-01-2013, 02:34 PM
This makes me want to chew on a lemon. I'm hungry.

I love the smell of lemons and lime.

BeTheChange
01-01-2014, 04:27 PM
I have copied this from a webiste (but i am unable to post the link as i am a new user). I need to start having a lemon each day as it burns fat :-)

Have a read

The way you start each day is incredibly important. Whether you're a mom, a coach, a writer, a small business owner or a yoga teacher, what you do first thing in the morning matters.
According to Ayurvedic philosophy, choices that you make regarding your daily routine either build up resistance to disease or tear it down. Ayurveda invites us to get a jump-start on the day by focusing on morning rituals that work to align the body with nature's rhythms, balance the doshas and foster self-esteem alongside self-discipline.
Your mind may say you have to check emails, take the dog out, get the kids out the door, that you can't be late for work or that you just don't have enough time to cultivate your own morning rituals.
But, if you can only make time for one ritual that will improve your health, let it be this.....
Start the day out with a mug of warm water and the juice of half a lemon.
It's so simple and the benefits are just too good to ignore. Warm water with lemon:
1. Boosts your immune system
Lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C is great for fighting colds and potassium stimulates brain and nerve function and helps control blood pressure.
2. Balances pH
Lemons are an incredibly alkaline food, believe it or not. Yes, they are acidic on their own, but inside our bodies they're alkaline (the citric acid does not create acidity in the body once metabolized). As you wellness warriors know, an alkaline body is really the key to good health.
3. Helps with weight loss
Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster. And, my experience is that when I start the day off right, it's easier to make the best choices for myself the rest of the day.
4. Aids digestion
The warm water serves to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis—the waves of muscle contractions within the intestinal walls that keep things moving. Lemons and limes are also high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen ama, or toxins, in the digestive tract.
5. Acts as a gentle, natural diuretic
Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
6. Clears skin
The vitamin C helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well.
7. Hydrates the lymph system
This cup of goodness helps start the day on a hydrated note, which helps prevent dehydration (obviously) and ardrenal fatigue. When your body is dehydrated, or deeply dehydrated (adrenal fatigue) it can't perform all of it's proper functions, which leads to toxic buildup, stress, constipation, and the list goes on. Your adrenals happen to be two small glands that sit on top of your kidneys, and along with your thyroid, create energy. They also secrete important hormones, including aldosterone. Aldosterone is a hormone secreted by your adrenals that regulates water levels and the concentration of minerals, like sodium, in your body, helping you stay hydrated. Your adrenals are also responsible for regulating your stress response. So, the bottom line is that you really don't want to mess with a deep state of dehydration!
Adopting just this one practice of drinking a cup of warm water with lemon in the morning for a month can radically alter your experience of the day. Don't be surprised if you begin to view mornings in a new light.
Like I said, the recipe is really simple—a cup of warm (not hot) water and the juice from half a lemon.

Muhaba
01-01-2014, 07:17 PM
I have to drink a glass of water with lemon juice (squeezed from 1/2 lemon) every morning (without sugar) as part of new nutrition program I'm following. It tastes good.

aymericdp
08-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Salam alaykum

Nice article :) Let us not forget lemon's sister fruits which also have a lot of similar benefits to offer!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!