/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Look at this this way...

IAmZamzam
04-19-2013, 12:36 AM
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book; if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away that person’s share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. (Revelation 22:18-19)

That translation comes from The New Revised Standard Version of The Bible. Let’s take a look at what else the NSRV has to say regarding Revelation. Here are some of its footnotes. You’ll notice I said “some”.

Then the dragon [...Other ancient authorities read “Then I stood”] took his stand on the sand of the seashore. (12:18)

Also, it was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them. [Other ancient authorities lack this sentence] (13:7)

This calls for wisdom: let anyone with understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a person. Its number is six hundred and sixty-six. [Other ancient authorities read “six hundred and sixteen”] (13:18)

And out of the temple came the seven angels with the seven plagues, robed in pure bright linen, [Other ancient authorities read “stone”] with golden sashes across their chests. (15:6)

He called out with a mighty voice, ‘Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great! It has become a dwelling-place of demons, a haunt of every foul spirit, a haunt of every foul bird, a haunt of every foul and hateful beast. [Other ancient authorities lack the words “a haunt of every foul beast” and attach the words “and hateful” to the previous line so as to read “a haunt of every foul and hateful bird] For all the nations have drunk [Other ancient authorities read “She has made all nations drink”] of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth have grown rich from the power of her luxury. (18:2-3)

They marched up over the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city. And fire came down from heaven [Other ancient authorities read “from God, out of heaven,” or “out of heaven from God”] and consumed them. (20:9)

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them; they will be his peoples, and God himself will be with them.’ [Other ancient authorities add “and be their God”] (21:3)

Blessed are those who wash their robes, [Other ancient authorities read “do his commandments”] so that they will have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates. (22:14)

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints. Amen. [Other ancient authorities lack “all”; others lack “the saints”; others lack “Amen”] (22:21)

Now let me ask you: when even the explicit threat of hellfire wasn’t enough to stop people from tampering with the words of The Bible what makes you think we have any way of trusting the textual history of the rest of the canon, where there was no threat of any kind involved?

This article was inspired by another article by Dr. Gary Miller and Sheikh Yusuf Estes, so kudos and blessings to them.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
05-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Personally, (I have to say that with you IAmZamzam if not I will be called to justify my statement;D), we know that the Bible was written kind of 3rd generation. Where the followers of the 12 disciples wrote down the text. Already, right from the outset it was going to have variations because although it was God's words, it was not God's words exactly. So over generations, without protection, it was sure to change. Not only words, but practices too.

Perhaps the Christians can correct me if I am wrong here, people of the Book males must circumsize, a practice Christians themselves have altered, not supposed to drink alcohol, eat pork, fast during 'lent' (Easter), cover up (take a look at nuns), and I am sure the list is longer... Don't know if it is relevant in context of the above post:embarrass

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!