/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims pray in a Church, USA

sister herb
04-19-2013, 05:38 PM
We are more alike than we are different.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
04-20-2013, 12:19 PM
:sl:

@1:04, that's my boyee! just kidding, that one of absolute favorite Islamic "speakers" Dr Bashar Shala! if you listen to him speak, you'll understand why these Muslims get along so well. this is from a couple years ago. iirc, Yasir Qhadi is their Imam, but Bashar is my man. i've been listening to him for about 7 years, thanks to Qataada!

favorite lecture, Owner of the 2 Gardens, no 46:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me..._Surah_Al-Kahf

and i love his Seerah, although this is the new one (i have the old on mp3, which is good, cuz Jamal took it down)
http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...wi%20%28saw%29

and his stories on Khalifa is sweet too:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...wi%20%28saw%29

i'm pretty tough on most speakers, i easily find fault; alot of English speakers make minor and major gaffs...but Bashar is way up there in style and manners. if i had to nail it down, he's in my top 3 speakers list. (if you listen to the lectures, he returns EVERY salaam when someone walks in the room.(you know, instead of giving you the ice cold stare because you are interrupting his lecture) it's like he is the most humble guy in the room; but he is in reality a cardiologist and a neurologist! and talk about prepared, when Q&A time comes at the end, you can hear him shuffle his papers as he looks for the appropriate hadith. 9 out of 10 times he has it, even if he didn't use it in the lecture. and if he doesn't, he's says he'll have it next week, in shaa Allah!

i mean, i'm actually rating him up there with Mufti Menk and Dr Bilal Philips. (and i've counted fewer mistakes from him!)

May Allah reward this brother and give us a thousand more like him!

:wa:

glo
04-20-2013, 02:22 PM
"It's not about politics, it's not about theology ... it's about these people."
Beautiful! :statisfie

sister herb
04-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Communities whose can make work together and share things together may teach to us a lot.

I am working now as volunteer worker in multicultural center. We arrange happenings to refugees, immigrants as well to local people. We are human right workers and we don´t ask what is political ideology or religion of person who comes to our place. We accept every and respect them.

:statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pygoscelis
04-22-2013, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
"It's not about politics, it's not about theology ... it's about these people."
Beautiful! :statisfie
Beautiful indeed.

sister herb
04-22-2013, 04:27 PM
In our tiny multicultural center is also mosque and halal restaurant/cafee. Also we make co-operation projects with local christian community. Simply we try to make it easy to local people and immigrants to meet each others, know them to understand each others and live in peace together.

If needed we ask as guest speakers like priests, doctors, teachers, layers, hobby groups to children or adults, municipality servants.

We just try to help to make our community a good place to live to all and stop racism.

We activists don´t get any salary about it but we get something much more important than money - peace to our minds. And friends... a lot of friends!

glo
04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
You make it sound so easy, sister harb.

sister herb
04-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Oh pillow fight with Glo.

I like it.

;D

Dear it is easy. We activists are professionals (human right workers, social workers, teachers - some have made those matters for decades). Our problem is just teach it to others whose haven´t our experiance how to do it.

But I believe be succeed with that, This is our common dream and people whose have dream usually believe to it and make a lot of work for it.

Ours newest idea is to create sport groups to immigrant women. I will be one who go to run with them.

glo
04-22-2013, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Ours newest idea is to create sport groups to immigrant women. I will be one who go to run with them.
Funny you say that ... I have this dream of starting a running group with muslimahs and non-Muslim women.

sister herb
04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
^^ Believe to your dream. I have understood that many muslim women might afraid to go alone to run here (like to the joccking track in the forest what is normal in here) and then it is better to them that some local runner comes with them. At the same time we can discuss, maybe talk if they have some problems and give advices. Later maybe we can go to pick berries and mushrooms together... and be one more step closer how to live together...

Have a nice running to you too, Glo. Maybe you could make some co-operation in local multicultural club if there is any or ask your community to create one.

Insaanah
04-22-2013, 08:06 PM
It's interesting that in the church, the Muslims are praying similar to the way Jesus (peace be upon him) and the previous Biblical Prophets prayed.

Taking off their shoes to pray

Qur'an
"When he came to the Fire, a voice was uttered: O Moses! I am thy Lord, therefore put off thy shoes, for thou art in the sacred valley of Tuwa."-(Holy Qur'an 20:11-12).

Bible
(And God said to Moses), "Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground."-(Exodus 3:5, also Acts 7:33).

They make ablution, washing their faces, hands and feet...

Qur'an
"O you who belive! When you rise up to prayer, wash your faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads, and wash your feet to the ankles."-(Holy Qur'an 5:7)

Bible
"And Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their hands and their feet thereat; when they went into the tent of the congregation they washed as the Lord commanded Moses."-(Exodus 40:31-32).

The faithful face the Qiblah (direction of prayer)

Qur'an

"So turn thy face toward the Sacred Mosque, and (O Muslims), wheresoever ye may be, turn your faces toward it."- (Holy Qur'an 2:144).

Bible
"Now when Daniel...went into his house; and his window being open in his chamber towards Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and thanks before his God, as he did aforetime."-(Daniel 6:10).

Bowing down and prostrating..

Qur'an
"O you who believe! Bow down and prostrate yourselves and serve your Lord, and do good that you may prosper."-(Holy Qur'an 22:77).

Bible
"And he (Jesus) went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed..."-(Matthew 26:39).

"And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship..."-(Joshua 5:14).

"And he (Elijah) cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees."-(1 Kings 18:42).

"And they (Moses and Aaron) fell upon their faces..."-(Numbers 20:6).

"And Abraham fell on his face..."-(Genesis 17:3).

Spreading out their hands to God, asking forgiveness, seeking His blessings, beseeching His protection..

Qur'an

"Our Lord! Give us good in this world and good in the Hereafter, and defend us from the torment of the Fire."-(Holy Qur'an 2:201)

Bible
"...when Solomon had made an end of praying all this prayer and supplication unto the Lord, he arose from before the altar of the Lord, from kneeling on his knees with his hands spread up to heaven."-(1 Kings 8:54).

glo
04-23-2013, 06:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
It's interesting that in the church, the Muslims are praying similar to the way Jesus (peace be upon him) and the previous Biblical Prophets prayed.
Christians do not only pray in the "kneeling-with-their-hands-clasped" way.
Christians pray in all sorts of positions: kneeling, sitting, standing, bowing, prostrating. Hey, they even pray whilst walking. :)

Once a man came into our church, took his shoes off and walked right up to the altar, where he prostrated himself on his belly to pray. I guess it was a sign of a man who felt unworthy and was asking for God's forgiveness.
I never found out who he was, but he must have been a Christians because he took part in the Communion (sharing of bread and wine).
The demonstration of his faith was quite powerful and I have never forgotten it.

sister herb
04-23-2013, 12:36 PM
This my thread reminded me one other thread I posted to here before:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...o-muslims.html

Living together is not difficult if we really learn to respect each others. People in Palestine have done it hundreds of years already. Why it should to be more difficult in elsewhere?

sister herb
05-04-2013, 07:43 PM
I had this evening the first running with sisters.

5 kilometers.

Student1996
05-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Wow, Pastor Steve seems more tolerant than any pastor I've know.

glo
05-05-2013, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Student1996
Wow, Pastor Steve seems more tolerant than any pastor I've know.
Not so unusual, I think.

I know many Muslims and Christians (including Imams and Pastors/clergy) who make very concerted efforts to forge links and friendships between the followers of the two faiths. How else will we learn about and from each other? :)

Here is a similar story from Aberdeen, Scotland:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21953899

MustafaMc
05-05-2013, 09:55 PM
This story reminds me in a way of a time I stopped by a truckstop chapel to offer one of my prayers while traveling. A man was inside so I turned to leave. He asked me to return and I told him I was a Muslim and just wanted a place to pray. He still invited me in and asked me to tell him about Islam, so I did. I then offered my salah while he bowed his head and prayed as well. I think I was the first Muslim this man ever met. He was a retired minister and was there to witness to the truckers who stopped by. I can see a lot of good in a lot of Christians and I believe mutual respect and tolerance is the best practice. We should leave the separating of the sheep from the goats to God and live our lives in the best possible way in the mean time.

GodIsAll
05-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Blessed are those from all faiths who never miss an opportunity to be a beacon of light and love.

Thanks for sharing these stories.

Pygoscelis
05-06-2013, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
This story reminds me in a way of a time I stopped by a truckstop chapel to offer one of my prayers while traveling. A man was inside so I turned to leave. He asked me to return and I told him I was a Muslim and just wanted a place to pray. He still invited me in and asked me to tell him about Islam, so I did. I then offered my salah while he bowed his head and prayed as well. I think I was the first Muslim this man ever met. He was a retired minister and was there to witness to the truckers who stopped by. I can see a lot of good in a lot of Christians and I believe mutual respect and tolerance is the best practice. We should leave the separating of the sheep from the goats to God and live our lives in the best possible way in the mean time.
This is a nice story :)

Does friction ever happen when the two of you, both politely and with good intent, try to witness to each other? Is there a mutual respect stopping you from tying to convert each other?

MustafaMc
05-07-2013, 02:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Does friction ever happen when the two of you, both politely and with good intent, try to witness to each other? Is there a mutual respect stopping you from tying to convert each other?
This happened a few years ago, but I don't remember any tension. After I started practicing Islam, I would often discuss religion with others, but I don't much anymore unless someone asks about it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!