/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Non-Muslim with occasional questions to understand perspective of Muslim associates

Thraesja
04-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Hi. I'm Thraesja. I'm non-Muslim and an atheist. I'm completely comfortable and content in that world view.

What I do want from this community is occasional advice. I come from a Western Christian background and I grew up in what could generally be considered a mono-chromatic, mono-cultural town. I now live in a large, vibrant and multicultural centre which I love. My husband and I are attempting to avoid the biases and assumptions we were raised with while raising our children and to counteract any biases their grandparents (one set of which are seemingly incapable of comprehending the concept of privilege [white, male, Christian, straight, neurotypical, etc.] and the passive bigotry it allows, and the other who are more explicitly bigoted) may knowingly or unknowingly be passing down to our kids.

My questions will likely range from "what would be an appropriate Eid al-Fitr gift for our Muslim daycare provider or is a gift appropriate at all?" to "my mother-in-law just equated following Islam to being a terrorist in front of my four-year-old son. I've already told her off, but any suggestions on how to start a counteracting conversation with a young child on the topic?"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
04-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi Tharesja welcome to the forum. Perhaps some of the older and wiser members can share some good advice. :statisfie

Muslim Woman
04-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Hello sis,

Welcome here.

pl. browse the forum and ask questions in related threads.

Naeema
04-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Welcome. I appreciate you coming here to ask questions to better understand your fellow humans and to help raise your child in a thoughtful enviornment.

In peace,
Naeema

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Peace with you my fellow human

Welcome to forum.

Also could you ask your question in other section and also explain it a little better.

I didn´t understand at all what it meant:

My questions will likely range from "what would be an appropriate Eid al-Fitr gift for our Muslim daycare provider or is a gift appropriate at all?" to "my mother-in-law just equated following Islam to being a terrorist in front of my four-year-old son. I've already told her off, but any suggestions on how to start a counteracting conversation with a young child on the topic?"
^o)

جوري
04-27-2013, 04:52 PM
They've some pretty awesome books on amazon on how to introduce religion or holidays to your young children..
:welcome: aboard

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!