/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How many steps?

glo
04-24-2013, 05:58 AM

Sometime this weekend my daughter and I will take a 17-mile walk along the Grand Union Canal.
My daughter arranged it as a fund-raiser for VSO and has asked friends to sponsor her walk and at the same time guess how many steps it will take her.

I am not asking for sponsorship here, but perhaps you want to take part in the fun and try to guess how many steps it will take?

Here are the facts:

• The walk is 17 miles or 27.35 kilometres long
  • The terrain is even
  • My daughter is 5'7" or 1.7 m tall
  • We are using an OMRON HJ-005-E step counter to count the steps, which during a trial proved to be extremely accurate

So, do your maths! :p

(To help just a little, other guesses have ranged from 34,000 steps to 150,000 steps)

I will announce the winner after the walk. (Weather permitting we are aiming for Friday, but it could be Saturday or Sunday)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
04-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Hello glo,

I think it would take two bananas, three chocolate bars, two bottles of water, one energy drink, a cheese and tomato sandwich and a jam donut to do the walk. It would be 29,997 steps, the first 29,996 steps will be the worst, there might be a couple of blisters, your time will be four hours thirty seven minutes and you will enjoy every step of the way.

Well done to both of you for doing this, and I hope you enjoy your day and raise lots of money.

Eric

crimsontide06
04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
34,800...it is nowhere close to 150,000.. unless she is in really bad health which I doubt otherwise she wouldn't even be attempting this.

Independent
04-24-2013, 10:27 PM
44,883 steps and one skip (at the end).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
04-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Actually, I am starting to worry that we have bitten off more than we can chew. My daughter is quite relaxed about it (entirely based on ignorance about just how far 17 miles are!), but foolishly I have agreed to walk with her.
Having people's guesses about how many steps it will take, will certainly make it more interesting and keep me motived.

Eric, thanks for your sound advice. I think more time will be needed though ... and possibly more chocolate bars too! :D

Crimsontide, I agree that 150,000 is way too much. But we shall see.

Independent, I promise to take a final skip - just for you!

Eric H
04-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Hello glo

Our bodies are much tougher than we give them credit for, the bigger problem is with the mind. If you can walk four miles you already have the ability to walk eight, even if you have never done it before, seventeen is just a bit further.

Walking does not take up a great amount of energy, so try and walk at a brisk pace, you will still have time to take in the scenery, and you can take extra chocolate on this one occasion as you will burn it all off. :D

Good luck, but you won’t need it, you will both be fine.

Eric

ardianto
04-25-2013, 04:12 PM
45,000 steps?

crimsontide06
04-25-2013, 04:35 PM
I've already done the math with actual facts, it's close to 34k. :D

Independent
04-25-2013, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
I've already done the math with actual facts, it's close to 34k
Ah, but you see, I'm allowing for them getting a little lost along the way :)

glo
04-25-2013, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Independent
Ah, but you see, I'm allowing for them getting a little lost along the way :)
I don't think we'll get lost. I scouted out the route on my bicycle a couple of weeks ago. Besides, walking along the Grand Union Canal, it is actually impossible to get lost. Only at the last mile are we leaving the canal and heading for the town centre.

glo
04-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Ahhh, but perhaps we have a very shuffly gait?? :shade:

ardianto
04-25-2013, 04:56 PM
You calculate 80 centimeters per step?

I estimate Glo daughter step length from her height, and consider probability she will slowing her walk on the way and make her step length going shorter.

Independent
04-25-2013, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Besides, walking along the Grand Union Canal, it is actually impossible to get lost
You will have to go over the hill at Islington - you can't go through the tunnel.

glo
04-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Islington?
We are not walking through Islington, but we will have to walk over the Blisworth tunnel. And yes, we could get lost there. But like I said, I checked out the route. :)

Independent
04-25-2013, 05:09 PM
We are not walking through Islington
Ooops. Confusing it with the Regent's Canal through London.

ardianto
04-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Grand Union Canal - Blisworth tunnel
Seem like nice place for walk.

Thanks for showing me the pictures, .....Mr. Google Images :D

glo
04-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Ardianto, here are a few places we will walk past:

(Although I cannot guarantee that the heron will be standing there ... ;D)

glo
04-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Congratulations, crimsontide. You are the winner!
The actual amount of steps was 37,207

You have won a piece of cyber cake. :statisfie

Eric H
04-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Hello glo,

Well done both of you after completing your walk

Eric

crimsontide06
04-26-2013, 11:45 PM
WOOT!!!!! thank you!!!!

Congratulations, crimsontide. You are the winner!
The actual amount of steps was 37,207

You have won a piece of cyber cake. :statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!