/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here uses a Windows phone?

Urban Turban
05-04-2013, 09:24 AM
:sl:

Anyone here uses Windows phones? The likes of Nokia Lumia and the HTC's...

How has been the experience?

Anyone who has switched from iPhone / Android to Windows? That's be some news.

I like the whole idea that Microsoft certifies / verifies apps before they go live on the Windows apps store unlike Android.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Periwinkle18
05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Bro Abd al maajid recently got one ask him he has both the android and the wp he'll be able to tell u which ones good.

Periwinkle18
05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
I think android is better than the wp phone.

unknown12
05-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Get an android phone! I have my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, I use a windows 8 launcher screen sometimes... lol looks pretty neat tbh :), so much customisation!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Periwinkle18
05-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Samsung rocks!! :p

unknown12
05-05-2013, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
Samsung rocks!! :p
yeah its my first android phone and my first phone I purchased :).
you have Note 2?

Periwinkle18
05-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Nope a galaxy s2

Haya emaan
05-05-2013, 07:38 AM
my mum bought nokia lumia.. i m trying to learn it while i use android myself.. finding it little difficult to switch to windows.. also lil unintresting n complicated...

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-05-2013, 09:07 AM
I use both Windows Phone and Android, Nokia Lumia 620 and Galaxy Nexus. Both runs the latest operating systems. The launchers are different so sometimes I get confused while navigating through the app list. :p

Windows Phone or Android. Though the applications in Google Play are far more in number than that of in Windows Phone Store, its all about whose services you want to use because both the IT giants provide pretty much all the services from Web Search to Language translation, Maps, Cloud storage, Social Networking etc.

I personally prefer Google's services, like Google Drive, Google Keep and Chrome bookmarks and history sync. But I like Nokia's Here Maps, I can download the maps and use it offline with GPS. Microsoft offers Skydrive and OneNote service but I dont prefer to use them.

Android:
For
Google services tightly integrated.
Excellent apps in Google Play.
Against
None in particular. :ermm:

Windows Phone:
For
Here Maps (I am not sure if Here Maps are available for HTC phones (because NAVTEQ + NOKIA = HERE)
Microsoft's services.
Against
Worst apps support.
(No native Gtalk app or Facebook chat, of course you can use Live messenger ( if your friends are still using it :p ) and Skype. You can use Nimbuzz or IM+ but I did not find any of them to be beneficial.)
I cannot turn off the accelerometer in my Windows Phone (very bad).
And the packet data connection stays active even though there is a known Wifi connection available, it uses Wifi when available but it keeps the packet data connection active, where as in Android the packet data connection disconnects when there is a known Wifi connection available (it is costing me money :( )

P.S. I am talking about the Operating systems not about the phones. I like both the OSes. I havent switched from Android to Windows Phone, my primary phone will always be an Android. :p

Periwinkle18
05-05-2013, 09:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
And the packet data connection stays active even though there is a known Wifi connection available, it uses Wifi when available but it keeps the packet data connection active, where as in Android the packet data connection disconnects when there is a known Wifi connection available (it is costing me money )
hehehe :giggling:

told ya android rocks

Periwinkle18
05-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Doesn't HTC hav android?? I've never seen a HTC which has windows.

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Doesn't HTC hav android?? I've never seen a HTC which has windows.
Check HTC 8X WIndows and HTC 8S Windows.

Periwinkle18
05-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Ahaan I just checked I think everything just cramped into one page on the windows phone I like it wen its all organised.

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Ahaan I just checked I think everything just cramped into one page on the windows phone I like it wen its all organised.
Yu can add/remove/resize the tiles. your posts are biased. :p

Periwinkle18
05-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Well what can I say I guess I'm just a crazy android fan :)

Don't want the akhi to waste money n buy a wp n regret afterwards

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-05-2013, 01:20 PM
I dont think WP is a bad choice after all. Initially I disliked my WP but then after sometime I became comfortable with it and use both WP and Android as much. Do your research and go for the OS which serves your purpose of using a smartphone.

Urban Turban
05-05-2013, 04:15 PM
:sl:

Sorry for the late reply.

I used the Galaxy S3 of my friends and I found it....too over-smart, kind of very in your face, plus I didn't like the large screen, doesn't make the phone very handy. I'm looking for something inconspicuous, years ago I had bought a Nokia E61i and I regretted it - because of the bulky design - I had that same feeling when I got hold of the S3. And I strongly feel people would stop bothering if I say I have a WP and not an Android :D

JazakAllah khair to Abdul Ma'jid, Periwinkle and unknown.

Any more reviews?

~Zaria~
05-05-2013, 07:35 PM
:salam:

A nice over-view here:

http://lifehacker.com/5992575/is-win...one-or-android

Urban Turban
05-08-2013, 02:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
JazakAllah Khair that was helpful sis.
The comments section on that page are even more helpful.
:wa:

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Dont buy Windows Phone. It's good for nothing!!! :raging:

Periwinkle18
05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
^hahaha what happened to you're baised?? Who's the one who doesn't like windows phone now?

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Only reason I am disliking WP is the lack of support for Google services. :exhausted

This shows how dependent we are on Google's services, how insignificant we are without Google. :hmm:

Abdul-Raouf
05-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Had Galaxy Ace in 2011.... With Android GB..
Became an Android fan...

In 2012 bought XPERIA P with GB ... Around august got updated to ICS....and then two weeks back got updated to JB......

My next phone would be an Android... :-)...InshaAllah

I dont like iOS....I like WinOS but Android is faaaar better...

GO FOR ANDROID!!!

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-08-2013, 06:56 PM
^ Long time bro..where have you been?

Periwinkle18
05-08-2013, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Had Galaxy Ace in 2011.... With Android GB..
Became an Android fan...

In 2012 bought XPERIA P with GB ... Around august got updated to ICS....and then two weeks back got updated to JB......

My next phone would be an Android... :-)...InshaAllah

I dont like iOS....I like WinOS but Android is faaaar better...

GO FOR ANDROID!!!
Yipee another android fan :)

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Yipee another android fan :)
Count me in.

Urban Turban
07-15-2013, 02:14 PM
@Abd Al Majid and Abdur Raouf and others,

just narrowing down my selection, can you tell me which is the best camera phone to capture text? Meaning I come across various interesting things in books, newspapers - and if I wish to take a snap - which would be the best camera phone to do it best?

jazakAllah khair..

'Abd Al-Maajid
07-15-2013, 02:28 PM
^ I am not sure but I think some Nokia Lumias are better with their Carl Zeiss lens and PureView camera.

Scimitar
07-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Bro Abdal Majid has a google nexus 4 phone... the phone I really want, but cant get a hold of.

If you're thinking of selling, i'm thinking of buying ;)

Scimi

'Abd Al-Maajid
07-15-2013, 04:32 PM
AM doesnt want to sell his phone. :p my precious.

Periwinkle18
07-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Sorry buh I just felt like I have to post this hea ;p

Futuwwa
07-16-2013, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban
@Abd Al Majid and Abdur Raouf and others,

just narrowing down my selection, can you tell me which is the best camera phone to capture text? Meaning I come across various interesting things in books, newspapers - and if I wish to take a snap - which would be the best camera phone to do it best?

jazakAllah khair..
Nokia has made a huge investment into having the best camera phones. They just announced the Lumia 1020, which is pretty much a dedicated digital camera with smartphone features thrown in for good measure :p. It'll likely be hugely expensive though, and it might be a while before it's actually possible to buy it. The next in line, far from the 1020 but still a notch above the cameras of other companies' top phones, would be the Lumia 925 and 920.

Of course, that means you'll have to put up with Windows Phone, in case you consider that a liability. I'm not going to recommend any OS either way. Those who have done professional journalistic comparisons between WP, iOS and Android tend to be quite evenly split, with each camp having its fanboy following (yes, even WP is building up its own, if flame wars on comment sections are anything to go by :p).

Urban Turban
07-20-2013, 07:09 AM
^ I am not sure but I think some Nokia Lumias are better with their Carl Zeiss lens and PureView camera.
jazakAllah khair bro..

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Bro Abdal Majid has a google nexus 4 phone... the phone I really want, but cant get a hold of.

If you're thinking of selling, i'm thinking of buying ;)

Scimi
Its available on Flipkart.com

'Abd Al-Maajid
07-25-2013, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban
Its available on Flipkart.com
I think flipkart only ships within India

Urban Turban
07-25-2013, 12:40 PM

I think flipkart only ships within India
True, its only India..

Urban Turban
07-25-2013, 12:41 PM
What about eBay? Try it..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!