/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol And Anger in People and Aggression ?

truthseeker63
05-12-2013, 09:06 PM
As Salaam Alaikum to all Muslim Brothers and Sisters my question is would anyone agree with me that one reason among many reasons as to why Drinking Alcohol is bad/wrong/evil is because it causes Anger in People and Aggression and People do get Mad when they Drink Im not saying everyone who drinks acts like this but Alcohol does corrupt people's minds ? Also I know many people claim to be Social/Moderate Drinkers but why take the risk with the harm Alcohol causes ? Also I heard Islam teaches a person to control their Anger therefor I don't see how Alcohol would help this thank you ?

The Effect Of Alcohol On Aggression

The link between alcohol and aggression is well known. What's not so clear is just why drunks get belligerent. What is it about the brain-on-alcohol that makes fighting seem like a good idea "and do all intoxicated people get more aggressive" or "does it depend on the circumstances"?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/77303.php

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/77303.php

Alcohol Violence: Alcohol Causes Anger and Aggresstion

Alcohol and Aggression

Drinking and anger don't mix

By Jan Eickmeier

http://www.prevention.com/term/alcoh...nd-aggresstion

Anger, Aggression and Addiction

By: the Dual Diagnosis Recovery Network
Anger, aggression and addiction are intertwined in many ways, Anger has been implicated in relapse as stated in the language of Alcoholics Anonymous. For decades the self-help programs have warned those in recovery from addiction to avoid becoming hungry, angry, lonely, and tired.

http://imperial.networkofcare.org/mh...le.aspx?id=367

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
05-12-2013, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
What's not so clear is just why drunks get belligerent.
The relationship between alcohol and aggressive behavior is well known. The modulating effects of personality and anger on alcohol-related aggression, however, are less clear.
A study of drinkers' facial expressions of anger, published in the June 2003 issue of Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, finds that drinking alcohol may place those individuals with a tendency toward anger at greater risk of becoming aggressive."When most people think of anger, they probably think of the emotional state," said Amos Zeichner, professor and director of the Psychology Clinic at the University of Georgia, and corresponding author for the study. "This is when we get mad in response to some form of provocation. The personality trait of anger refers to a person's general tendency to experience chronic anger over time. Such an individual tends to search in his or her environment for stimuli that may activate feelings of anger, which may explain why he or she is more often angry compared with a person who does not have this personality trait."

Alcohol and Aggression Link

The association between alcohol and aggression is huge, according to Robert O. Pihl, professor of psychology and psychiatry at McGill University.
"Alcohol is involved in half of all murders, rapes and assaults," he said. "But the dynamics of this association are complicated, which is why any research that focuses on elucidating this relationship is important for society in general."Researchers recruited 136 male social drinkers between the ages of 18 and 30 years from undergraduate psychology courses and via local media advertisements. During a 20-minute session (followed by a 10-minute waiting period): the alcohol group (n=63) consumed two beverages consisting of ethanol and orange juice, bringing them to a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08%; the control group (n=73) consumed two beverages consisting of just orange juice.

Intoxicated Expressions of Anger

Participants were told they were then going to compete against another individual on a "reaction time" task, during which they might receive electric shocks from their opponent. While engaged in this fictitious task, which included both high and low shock levels or "provocation," the participants' experience of anger was unobtrusively assessed using the Facial Action Coding System, which classifies all observable facial activity into 44 unique "action units."Intoxicated participants displayed more facial expressions of anger than sober participants.

"Practically, facial expression is probably one of the best ways of knowing if someone is angry," said Pihl. "Even infants can detect that emotionality. And frankly, how else are you going to measure anger? Asking somebody doesn't work because people are not very good at discerning their emotions, and sometimes they just lie. That's why Paul Ekman's Facial Action Coding System has been proven so valuable in discerning lying, anger, and other kinds of things."

Alcohol Brings It Out

Intoxicated participants also demonstrated a positive relationship between facial expressions of anger and the tendency to express anger outwardly after high (but not low) provocation.
"Alcohol intoxication brings out people's natural tendencies in the expression of anger," said Dominic Parrott, the graduate student who conducted the study. "Our findings strengthen the notion that alcohol increases the likelihood that certain drinkers, particularly those with the tendency to be angry and to express their anger outwardly, become aggressive when provoked."

"If individuals tend to express their anger outwardly," said Zeichner, "alcohol will 'turn up the volume,' so that such a person will express anger more frequently and more intensely. A heightened response will most likely occur when the provocation against the drinker is a strong one, and will less likely occur when the individual is experiencing a low provocation and is sober."

Source: University of Georgia.

Frankly, I've seen someone use getting drunk as an excuse for cheating on their spouse. The spouse being cheated on will forgive the fact that their spouse cheated on them... I don't understand that lol.

But I do agree that people do drink to forget harmful things like death etc. or if they are angry...

Sir Fluffy
05-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Alcohol doesn't cause aggression. It has various effects to people and I myself be a major drinker and prone to drink on a daily basis will say that it does not make me aggressive along with others, quite the opposite. Some people have incredible tolerances for it and will not feel anything besides dizziness like myself while others can become highly aggressive or docile. This is where the phrases "angry drunk" and "happy drunk" come from.
The main reason one should not drink or at least not drink excessively is because of the fact that alcohol will take a person out of their current state of mind.
I understand the religious obligations and the secular ones but either way if you are a Muslim are commanded to worship god 5 times a day and this does not include sunnah salah like Witr for example. So drinking is essentially impractical along with the fact one may do something "undesired" if drinking. The same does not apply for all but if one adheres to a religion then exceptions should not be made.

Despite me not being a Muslim I will justify your argument on why one should not drink alcohol based on common reasoning alone...I know this is bizarre but me and some Muslim friends came up with this and I am the unbiased testing dummy. :D.

1) Alcohol will make one dizzy, incoherent or if at higher doses plain idiotic.
2) Such behavior invalidates Salat because one cannot pray if dizzy or utterly out of their mind.
3) Alcohol although it does not apply for all, can make people say undesired things.
4) Even if alcohol does not have these effects on one Muslim it does not mean he/she should be excluded which is no different than judicial law. There is an inebriation limit for one to drive in most countries and even though many like myself can drive while double over this limit it does not mean it should exclude you from others that can't.
5) The amount of time for people to actually be restored to normal from alcohol can different from minutes to hours and this can easily ruin Salat as they occur hours in between each other. Often not giving one a proper amount of time.

So even if alcohol was not forbidden it would be highly impractical for a Muslim to even consume it.
This are the common sense points which should appeal to one's sense of reason. Is this satisfactory for you?

glo
05-13-2013, 05:55 AM
I would say that alcohol heightens whatever state of mind a person is in. It also makes people disinhibited, clouds their judgement and makes them more likely to do/say things or engage in activities they wouldn't engage in if they were sober ...

All in all one needs to know how to 'handle alcohol' and to be aware when one has had enough. And yes, it may be best to leave well alone altogether.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GodIsAll
05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
People all handle the effects differently. Alcohol is not good for anyone, but for some people it should be an absolute "no-no".

sister herb
05-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Many people in my country usually say that if someone has took some drugs he might be the most danger but in fact most of unexpected crimes of violence will make those whose are drunk. So people should think that drunk people are more danger.

glo
05-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I think the kind of crimes are different.
Illegal drugs are more commonly associated with the users trying to obtain money to buy more drugs - prostitution, theft, robbery etc.

Alcohol is usually cheaper and easier to buy. Crimes relating to alcohol abuse are more commonly physical fights and sexually inappropriate behaviour or sexual aggression.

sister herb
05-13-2013, 07:57 PM
I didn´t mean the type of crimes but that people whose are drunk might be more danger to others safety - as they might hit you or take car and drive and risk others. And at the streets have a lot of more people whose are drunk (even in here).

Sorry if my meaning wasn´t clear - not so perfect this my English sometimes. :embarrass

glo
05-13-2013, 07:58 PM
I see what you mean. I agree.

Don't worry about your English - it's just fine! :)

Hasan Ibn Omer
08-04-2013, 04:09 PM
assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.

Allas says:

"O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, [sacrificing on] stone alters [to other than Allah ], and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful."

"Satan only wants to cause between you animosity and hatred through intoxicants and gambling and to avert you from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. So will you not desist?"

(surat al-mā'idah verse 90 and 91)

and in a Hadith the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam - Peace be upon him) said:

"Avoid wine, it is the mother of abominations"
(Ad-Darqutni, An-Nasa'i and Al-Baihaqi).

Therefore, if anyone does not avoid it, he then disobeys Allah and His Messenger and thus entails punishment.

and Allah say:

"And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger and transgresses His limits - He will put him into the Fire to abide eternally therein, and he will have a humiliating punishment."

(an-nisa verse 14).

Abdullah Ibn Amr held that, "Wine is the worst of the major sins."
(Al-Hakim in Mustadrak)

LauraS
08-04-2013, 09:32 PM
I can't stand alcohol, I think it tastes awful and I've never felt the need to "experiment". I used to have a fear of drunk people when I was younger so it probably stems from that too.

_E_3
08-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Before i was Muslim i had a problem with drink ( alcohol) id drink and drink it gotten so bad that i ended up ripping the lining of my stomach since i quit drinking i have been more happier and wiser
I believe that it should be banned everywhere there would be less alcohol deaths , less fights , less abuse ,
less drink driving deaths ...
I agree that we are better people without it and better Muslims

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!