/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dalai Lama Decries Buddhist Attacks On Muslims In Myanmar

glo
05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama on Tuesday decried Buddhist monks’ attacks on Muslims in Myanmar, saying killing in the name of religion was “unthinkable.”

The Dalai Lama, a foremost Buddhist leader, told an audience at the University of Maryland at the start of a U.S. tour that the root of seemingly sectarian conflict was political, not spiritual.

“Really, killing people in the name of religion is unthinkable, very sad. Nowadays even Buddhists are involved in Burma,” another name for Myanmar, with monks attacking Muslim mosques, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate said after delivering the Anwar Sadat Lecture for Peace at the university.

“I think it is very sad,” he said, adding, “I pray for them (the monks) to think of the face of Buddha,” who had been a protector of Muslims.

[...]

“You have the responsibility to create a new world based on the concept of one humanity.”
http://www.islamophobiatoday.com/201...ms-in-myanmar/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sir Fluffy
05-14-2013, 01:48 AM
The Burmese government is well known for inciting violence against those it hates. The odds of Buddhist killing are quite rare after all The story if I remember right was that some alleged rapes and murders were attributed to a local masjid or mosque which lead to its raide by a crowd of Buddhists. Such ploys have been used before by the Myanmar government to get rid of anything it feels as threatening. Most Burmese feel highly threatened by Islam as do most South Asians as they are not known for being extremely pious. This is just another case of a Government fearing attack from a people who will not tolerate its corruption. Many negative things have been associated to Muslims in South Asia and this often leads to lies circulating in order to "stamp out" any Islamic influence. The only difference is that Burma has mastered this tactic.

Independent
05-14-2013, 11:05 AM
The Rohingya are not the only community in Myanmar who are suffering. The Karen are a very much larger group (perhaps as many as 7 million) who have been equally afflicted. As a result many of them have fled to Thailand as refugees.

For this reason, the Myanmar situation should be seen as nationalistic rather than anti-Muslim specifically. The Karen are of mixed religion - not Islamic - but the majority are Buddhist (same as the government) plus many Christians and animists. Sharing the same religion hasn't helped them.

The Myanmar government has tried to carve out a new nationalist identity since WW2 which has, in practice, excluded groups like the Rohingya and the Karen.

Muslim Woman
05-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Hi ,

did he protest earlier ? Anyway better late than never .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
05-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Dalai Lama talked about situation of Myanmar earlier at the autumn of 2012.

Source: http://www.rohingyablogger.com/2012/...n-over_23.html

KAding
05-14-2013, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Hi ,

did he protest earlier ? Anyway better late than never .
Apparently he did speak out earlier:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/...8#.UZIsPLXfCvE

جوري
05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Leave it to that guy to take a genocide and water it down and by same token take a situation where practically all the facts are either missing or concocted and blow it out of proportion!
By the way so what the Dali crap spoke against said genocide so what? Does that make it all better?
Maybe if it were one of these kaffirs seeing their mothers raped before their eyes and torched alive they'd make a holocaust out of it - what a bunch of sick hypocrites!
Truly reading posts by the lot of them makes an already heinous situation that much worse!
They'd be better off just shutting up so people aren't seeing all the hiqd they've inside and what they do to cover it up ugh!

GodIsAll
05-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I am curious about his statement regarding Buddha being a protector of Muslims. After all, Islam was not founded until about 1000 years after his death.

Pygoscelis
05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by العنود
Leave it to that guy to take a genocide and water it down and by same token take a situation where practically all the facts are either missing or concocted and blow it out of proportion!
By the way so what the Dali crap spoke against said genocide so what? Does that make it all better?
Maybe if it were one of these kaffirs seeing their mothers raped before their eyes and torched alive they'd make a holocaust out of it - what a bunch of sick hypocrites!
Truly reading posts by the lot of them makes an already heinous situation that much worse!
They'd be better off just shutting up so people aren't seeing all the hiqd they've inside and what they do to cover it up ugh!
Huh? He decries violent in the name of religion, he decries violence against muslims in particular and calls for peace, and you somehow find something to be offended about in that? Is there an additional article linked to that I missed?

Pygoscelis
05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
I am curious about his statement regarding Buddha being a protector of Muslims. After all, Islam was not founded until about 1000 years after his death.
LOL Good point.

GodIsAll
05-14-2013, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
LOL Good point.
Maybe some memory gets lost in the reincarnation process....I dunno.

جوري
05-14-2013, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Huh? He decries violent in the name of religion, he decries violence against muslims in particular and calls for peace, and you somehow find something to be offended about in that? Is there an additional article linked to that I missed?
Are his cries bringing back the dead? giving security to the Muslims there? preventing further rapes from taking place? I really think he should shut up. It isn't a matter of words, reminds me of when the U.S was dropping bombs and food on Afghanistan in different colored packages, just so they can pretend they're such god samaritans.. you and your luck red get bombed yellow have lunch... If you fail to see the insult to injury then I can't help you there!

best,

LauraS
05-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Are his cries bringing back the dead? giving security to the Muslims there? preventing further rapes from taking place? I really think he should shut up. It isn't a matter of words, reminds me of when the U.S was dropping bombs and food on Afghanistan in different colored packages, just so they can pretend they're such god samaritans.. you and your luck red get bombed yellow have lunch... If you fail to see the insult to injury then I can't help you there!

best,
And if he hadn't of said anything it would have been: "Why is no one speaking out against these attacks?" I see no reason why the Dalai Lama should keep his mouth shut.

If people don't speak out it's bad, if they do they should just keep their mouths shut? The fact is you're bitter against the non-Muslim world. You don't accept non-Muslim friendship or sympathy- you told me once you consider non-Muslims filth. It's quite sad really. It's just a good not all Muslims share you're dislike or it would be an even more divided world than it already is. Not every non-Muslim is bad or immoral and they're not all your enemy.

Will this get removed for a "personal attack"......who knows........

جوري
05-14-2013, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LauraS
And if he hadn't of said anything it would have been: "Why is no one speaking out against these attacks?" I see no reason why the Dalai Lama should keep his mouth shut.
No, I couldn't give a fig what he decries or doesn't if he lights himself on fire in protest it is meaningless as is what you write here- and if you followed any of my posts, all I have ever said in regards to this matter is that all those Muslims should fight back by any means available to them not seek someone to decry or look for aid from another nation. Let's face it San Suu Kyi gets a noble prize while killing on the side.. what should we make of that exactly? we should applaud it and not be bitter!
In closure didn't elect you to speak on my behalf!

format_quote Originally Posted by LauraS
or sympathy
Sympathy? if it is anyone's goal to get sympathy then how pitiable!
How about you find me my actual quotes and post it here otherwise?
Don't feign to know what I am thinking, what I am feeling, or what I'd expressed unless by direct quote!

I wouldn't worry about the mods if you were throwing that in there for good measure- hypocrisy & double speak gets the other cheek around here so you'll be good on everything you concoct and accuse with!

Sir Fluffy
05-14-2013, 07:48 PM
I find it most bizarre that the Dalai Lama speaks on behave of Buddhists in general when most Buddhist do no adhere to Tibetan Buddhism. Out of all the Buddhist I have known not a single one adheres to it and I am unfamiliar it there are adherents in Myanmar. So in all reality the Dalai Lam's word do not truly matter if Myanmar has no adherents to this brand.
Burmese government has been trying to stamp out Karen and they will now concoct lies to stamp out Muslims. I know this will sound bizarre because I am not a Muslim but I personally would not mind acts of Jihad being performed on the Burmese militia. This is a government that commits acts of genocide on its own people after all. :hmm:. I also believe this is why Burma will not tolerate Muslims because they are afraid that Muslims have a tendency not to tolerate political corruption than most groups.

جوري
05-14-2013, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sir Fluffy
I know this will sound bizarre because I am not a Muslim but I personally would not mind acts of Jihad being performed on the Burmese militia
You're not Muslim or was that a typo akhi?

:w:

Sir Fluffy
05-14-2013, 07:58 PM
You're not Muslim or was that a typo akhi?

Um, my religion says other so I thought it was already known. I have quite a few Muslim friends as I do not live that far from a masjid though and I am very knowledge about Islam from interacting with these guys. Main reason I am here actually is because of me being around them.

I hope this does not bother you :embarrass

جوري
05-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Um, my religion says other so I thought it was already known. I have quite a few Muslim friends as I do not live that far from a masjid though and I am very knowledge about Islam from interacting with these guys. Main reason I am here actually is because of me being around them.

I hope this does not bother you :embarrass
It doesn't bother me at all, but I could have sworn you'd it down as Muslim hence the confusion.

Sir Fluffy
05-14-2013, 08:01 PM
It doesn't bother me at all, but I could have sworn you'd it down as Muslim hence the confusion.

I mean no offense by this, but does Islam wear off on people after 5 years of interactive exposure to it? Perhaps that could have been why Iconfused you :D

Sir Fluffy
05-14-2013, 08:02 PM
I meant "rub on" not "wear off" :exhausted

جوري
05-14-2013, 08:05 PM
I mean no offense by this, but does Islam wear off on people after 5 years of interactive exposure to it? Perhaps that could have been why Iconfused you :D
I know one person who is spiritual but doesn't subscribe to religion at all who has more Islamic mannerisms than many Muslims I know.. I don't take credit for it for he was that way all along... but there's a hadith that states ''khyrkoum fi aljahilya khyrkoum fi al'Islam' those of you who are best in the days of ignorance are also the best in the days of Islam.

Sir Fluffy
05-14-2013, 08:10 PM
I know one person who is spiritual but doesn't subscribe to religion at all who has more Islamic mannerisms than many Muslims I know.. I don't take credit for it for he was that way all along... but there's a hadith that states ''khyrkoum fi aljahilya khyrkoum fi al'Islam' those of you who are best in the days of ignorance are also the best in the days of Islam.
I am not going to deny almost 80% of my views about god come directly from Islam. No shame in admitting that I hope. I just do not stick to dogma, that is all. I also do not deny that I have considered on converting to Islam on more than one occasion, perhaps it is just cowardice but I feel that I will let myself down by not being "Muslim enough".

جوري
05-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Then may :Allah::swt: guide you to the path of the righteous!

Muslim Woman
05-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Hi

first human being Adam pbuh was a Muslim. So , Islam is here since the beginning .

Trumble
05-15-2013, 05:13 PM
I find it most bizarre that the Dalai Lama speaks on behave of Buddhists in general when most Buddhist do no adhere to Tibetan Buddhism. Out of all the Buddhist I have known not a single one adheres to it and I am unfamiliar it there are adherents in Myanmar. So in all reality the Dalai Lama's word do not truly matter if Myanmar has no adherents to this brand.
As far as I can see he wasn't speaking for or on behalf of anybody except himself. I find a couple of the responses here baffling in that all all the Dalai Lama did was condemn violence in the name of religion anywhere and by Buddhists in Myanmar in particular. The only rational reason I can see for anyone to object to that is that they disagree with him and actually think violence in the name of religion (presumably their religion) is a good idea?

Let's get real - none of the great religions is exactly squeaky clean when it comes to to absence of violence in the name of religion. Some people only need to look rather closer to home to find that alleged 'hypocrisy'.

ardianto
05-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Just want to share some photos from Indonesia. I hope it's not out of topic. :)

Waisak/Vesak day, 25 May 2013

Indonesian Buddhist monks in Waisak event 2013, Borobudur temple (photo: msn.com)

Waisak 2013 In Vihara Mahavira, Jakarta (photo: metrotvnews.com)

Waisak 2013 in Mendut temple, central Java (photo: tribunnews.com)

Buddhist monks in procession before Waisak (photo: viva.co.id)

President SB Yudhoyono in gave speech in Waisak celebration that held in 26 May 2013 in Jakarta (photo: metrotvnews.com)

"The state fully guarantees freedom of citizens to carry out their worship in accordance with their faith and belief"
(President SB Yudhoyono in his speech for Waisak 2013)

Minister of religion Suryadharma Ali with Buddhist monks in waisak 2013, Borobudur temple (photo: kemenag.go.id)

Former vice president Muhammad Jusuf Kalla in waisak 2013 in vihara Greenvile, Jakarta. Jusuf Kalla is Indonesian representative for Rohingya issue (photo: metrotvnews.com)

M Jusuf Kalla with OIC secretary general and president of Qatar red crescent, during their journey to help Rohingya people in Myanmar, 2012 (photo: antaranews.com)

Waisak is Buddhist holiday that become Public holiday in Indonesia. This year Indonesia govt give remission for 383 criminal prisoners from Buddhist. 6 of them immediate release from jail.

Some other photos from Indonesia

A Muslim woman give donation for Buddhist monk in Pindapata procession (photo: tempo.co.id)

Donation from Buddhist for poor Muslim people (photo: indonesiarayanews.com)

Collaboration of Muslim and Buddhist dentists in social event that held by Buddhists (photo: antara)

Muslim paramedic check a patient in a free medical service event that held by Buddha Tzu-chi foundation (photo: jia-xing.biz)

Youth from a Buddhist organization visited a Muslim orphanage (photo: jia-xing.biz)

GuestFellow
05-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Woah I didn't spot that LOL.

Well his intentions sound noble and pure. Hopefully...

glo
05-29-2013, 05:04 PM
It's a wild guess, but perhaps it is meant in general terms with regards to how Buddhists should treat non-Buddhists and what the Buddha taught about outsiders.

I don't know much about Buddhism in that regard.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!