View Full Version : Same world - different world

sister herb
05-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Your opinions about this image?

imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
05-16-2013, 08:07 PM
True. There are enough resources to feed and provide for all people on this planet ... and yet the distribution of those resources is shockingly unfair!
Thing is, all of us who have a place to live and a computer to sit behind, are amongst those rich and wealthy ... even if we don't think of ourselves in that way.

I remember once reading that if you as much as own a book or have your own bank account, you are likely to be amongst something like the top 5% of richest people in the world ... imsad

We need to seriously work on distributing our wealth and resources better!

sister herb
05-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Yes, I agree. At the same time when we waste food, throw it away even it still would be eatable, others will die to hunger. :embarrass I am not innocent with that too, I am as guilty like others.

Ahmad H
05-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Mughira b. Shu'ba reported that none else had asked more questions from Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) about the Dajjal than I, but he simply said in a slight mood): O, my son, why are you worried because of him? He will not harm you. I said: The people think that he would have with him rivers of water and mountains of bread, whereupon he said: He would be more insignificant in the sight of Allah than all these things (belonging to him). (Book #025, Hadith #5352)
(Sahih Muslim)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
05-17-2013, 11:31 AM
What to say? There is no more moderation in the world. There's only care when there is something to benefit from it. Why share when you can have it all yourself?.... or only share if you want something the other guy has. I work, I earn, too bad for you!

^o)

glo
05-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Greenhill, your post has moved me. It's so true that ours societies on the whole have become selfish and greedy.
I often think that when new laws or policies or tax rulings are implemented. The only thing you ever hear people mention is what's in it for THEM ... never what's in it for the greater good for all?

It reminds me of this story which I love. I hope it is okay to share it here:

"An anthropologist studying the habits and customs of an African tribe found himself surrounded by children most days. So he decided to play a little game with them. He managed to get candy from the nearest town and put it all in a decorated basket at the foot of a tree.

Then he called the children and suggested they play the game. When the anthropologist said “now”, the children had to run to the tree and the first one to get there could have all the candy to him/herself.

So the children all lined up waiting for the signal. When the anthropologist said “now”, all of the children took each other by the hand ran together towards the tree. They all arrived at the same time divided up the candy, sat down and began to happily munch away.

The anthropologist went over to them and asked why they had all run together when any one of them could have had the candy all to themselves.

The children responded: “Ubuntu. How could any one of us be happy if all the others were sad?”

Ubuntu is a philosophy of African tribes that can be summed up as “I am what I am because of who we all are.”

Bishop Desmond Tutu gave this explanation in 2008 :

“One of the sayings in our country is Ubuntu – the essence of being human. Ubuntu speaks particularly about the fact that you can’t exist as a human being in isolation. It speaks about our interconnectedness. You can’t be human all by yourself, and when you have this quality – Ubuntu – you are known for your generosity. We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole World. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity.”

This is the true spirit of human development and cause of human evolution. Ubuntu. Once again, we are proud to say Ubuntu, I am what I am because of who we all are.. This is not a story as such, but a feeling to be expressed."

LauraS
05-20-2013, 10:06 PM
The thing is, a lot of ordinary people do give. Just look at the recent Comic Relief donations and then there are all the charities- the daytime adverts are full of charities often for people abroad. Personally I'm becoming more conscious of not wasting food. However whether we are "rich" compared to other people in the world there are still many, in this recession, that are not eating so their children can. There are still people in wealthy countries that probably don't have anything to spare. What gets me are the billionaires that will never ever use the stores of money they have and will just pass it on to children who will keep it in a bank before passing it onto the grandchildren who will keep it in a bank- because no one needs that much money. I always wonder how much of a difference just a portion of that currently useless money could make.

M.I.A.
05-20-2013, 10:30 PM
i think its unfair.

but i think that for almost all the time i can remember there have been charities giving money to areas in need.

and there have probably been dictators taking money from the needy.

without fixing the root of the problem its just a bottomless well.

greenhill
05-21-2013, 01:16 AM
Thank you Glo, :embarrass was just being cynical.

LauraS, yes agree with you, there are good hearts around. I was just making a statement based on the cartoon of this thread.:p

M.I.A. - you may on to something there, there are also known scams in the charity work. Not by the volunteers themselves, but by the 'syndicates' to exploit the generosity of people.:hmm:

Vito
05-21-2013, 02:18 AM
Its funny (well not really) because I once saw that show "man vs food" and always wondered how many people standing outside the restaurant were probably starving while this guy is busy stuffing his face with the 'world's largest steak' or 'world's largest cheeseburger' in an effort to break records.. If you've never seen it, don't bother. Its disgusting.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!