/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hannah Habib - challenging stereotypes surrounding Muslim women

glo
05-18-2013, 06:30 AM
"I was regularly interrogated and asked why I was wearing the hijab," she says. When she explained that it was due to her faith, many would go on to ask her why she was a Muslim, as they were puzzled by her non-Middle Eastern appearance.

"I find that people often project stereotypes upon you when you're wearing a scarf," she explains.

"Certain items of clothing, such as hijab and abaya, have become invested with such potent politicised symbolism - the wearer's personal identity becomes secondary to her outward appearance."

[...]

"I feel that if only the voices of Muslim women were presented a little more by the media, rather than simply being 'talked about', we would all benefit and become a little more understanding of one another."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/0/22537735

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!