/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Motor Queries

~Zaria~
05-25-2013, 10:40 AM
:salam:

Im a little (ok, make that 'very' ) clueless when it comes to cars.....

Looking for some advice with regards to the following in shaa Allah:

1. How often does one need to check water/ oil levels?
(In some (newer) cars, the water/ oil is filled at the last service......and I was told that I do not need to bother until the next service. Is this true?)

2. My car was serviced a few months ago.
Since then, I have been receiving many speeding fines (Im not sure how many, cos I don't actually go to pick them up from the post office :p ......hoping they would disappear somehow.....)

Is it possible, that the speedometer is not reading correctly after my service?
Sometimes I feel that I am driving quite fast, but my speed is not registering as the same......?

3. I hit a curb a weeks ago :exhausted , and since then the front arch (the panel in front of my right hand tyre) has moved inwards (i.e. the distance between the tyre and panel is smaller).
I havent noticed any other problems when driving. Is it safe to ignore this (or will it worsen with time)?

Thats all I have for now :exhausted

Hope someone can advise me here in shaa Allah.

:wasalam:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
05-25-2013, 02:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
:salam:
Wa'alaikumsalam Wa rahmatullahi Wa barakatuh

1. How often does one need to check water/ oil levels?
(In some (newer) cars, the water/ oil is filled at the last service......and I was told that I do not need to bother until the next service. Is this true?)
The best is you check everyday. It's just take few minutes. If you sure your car condition is good, check water/oil levels every few days is still OK. You must also watch the garage floor. If you see oil and/or water, better you check your car to repair station.

2. My car was serviced a few months ago.
Since then, I have been receiving many speeding fines (Im not sure how many, cos I don't actually go to pick them up from the post office :p ......hoping they would disappear somehow.....)

Sometimes I feel that I am driving quite fast, but my speed is not registering as the same......?
We don't know how fast or how slow we drive if we only use our feeling. Road condition and traffic situation can deceive us. Drive 80 km/h in one road will make us feel we drive very fast. But 80 km/h in another road make us feel we drive slow enough.

Speedometer is directly connected to the wheel by cable. In routine service, mechanic do not touch it.

3. I hit a curb a weeks ago :exhausted , and since then the front arch (the panel in front of my right hand tyre) has moved inwards (i.e. the distance between the tyre and panel is smaller).
I havent noticed any other problems when driving. Is it safe to ignore this (or will it worsen with time)?
Which is moved?. If that's because the fender (panel) moved to back, is still OK to ignore it. But if that's because the wheel moved to front, you need to adjust your wheel again in repair station.

You can ask someone who know about car to see, which is moved, the panel or the wheel.

Ammar67
05-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Wa'alaikumsalam Wa rahmatullahi Wa barakatuh,

1. For most new vehicles, after an initial check you shouldn't need to check anything except the wiper/windshield/screen washing fluid, unless you're going on a trip or notice spots on the ground after overnight parking.

2. Besides the previous response, usually the only way the speedometer readings would be off is if you change the tire/rim size or make other modifications to the vehicle.

3. Sometimes a hard impact will change the “toe-in” on the tie-rod(s). This has to be checked by a reputable shop.

~Zaria~
05-25-2013, 08:00 PM
:jz: for the responses,

1. I have a 2007 model car - I hope that this is new enough?, because I honestly have not been checking my oil/ water levels very frequently (maybe every few months).

2. The car has had a 60 000km service (I think that was a major service) - so will need to check what was actually done....

3. It appears that the plastic rim has 'torn off' and the hooks are now broken.......as well as the arch in front of the tyre has been damaged.
My wheel alignment seems fine (when driving).
I had taken the car to a panel-beater a few weeks ago, and he suggested that he can screw the panel back in place (because the hooks are broken) - which would mean that he will have to drill holes into the body work.
That didnt sound too good to me.....so I think I will look around for a new/ second-hand panel in shaa Allah (but that will only sort out the external panel, not the interior).

The only problem with having car troubles is that one has to deal with men.....and if you are ignorant (as in my case :hiding:), its easy to get fooled : (

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ammar67
05-25-2013, 09:02 PM
  1. After 5 years/ 50,000 miles/80,000 or so K. most warranties end and things start to break down however, as long as all of the scheduled maintenance has been done on-time/properly it should be okay if the vehicle has been treated properly.
  2. The garage should have filled out your maintenance book, stating exactly what had been done and what parts (if any) were replaced.
  3. I didn't quite understand this one, but I would be skeptical of a shop that wants to modify the vehicle (by drilling) without first offering to replace the damaged parts with original ones. (Unless money was a mentioned issue).

~Zaria~
05-25-2013, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ammar67
3. I didn't quite understand this one, but I would be skeptical of a shop that wants to modify the vehicle (by drilling) without first offering to replace the damaged parts with original ones. (Unless money was a mentioned issue).

He did mention needing a new panel - and I had asked if there was any way in which it could be fixed.
So he suggested inserting screws (which would require it to be drilled in place).
But yes, I guess it does sound quite shady.....

Just to confirm - a 2007 model car does not need regular oil/ water (apart from windscreen water) checks?

JazakumAllah khair

Ammar67
05-25-2013, 10:01 PM
It really depends on how much you use it; if you drive hundreds of k. a day, then I would say daily, if you use it only occasionally than less often.
Some recommend checking the fluids every-time you fill the fuel tank; it's a safe time frame. Also, don't forget to check the tire pressure.

~Zaria~
05-26-2013, 10:57 AM
:jz:

^ Thats not good news for me - I dont drive far distances, but Ive only been checking the oil/water when it goes in for a service. I guess I need to pay more attention now....:exhausted

Can I ask 2 more questions?

1. How does one know when the brake pads need to be changed?
(I usually wait until I hear them screech.....then I know Im due for a change.)
I was told at the service that the pads need to be 'skimmed', but I decided to wait at the time......
My braking seems fine at the moment. How should I ideally know that I am due for a change?

2. Is there any major harm in using leaded (vs unleaded) petrol in ones car?
E.g. If the fuel station is out of unleaded petrol, can I just use leaded for that day?

Shukran jazeelan

Ps. If anyone has any other car-related queries, please post them for us.
In shaa Allah, we also learn this way : )

Ammar67
05-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Sure,

1. That's a good way to tell. There's usually metal clips on the pad plate itself and when the lining wears down to a certain point, every time you brake they start touching the rotor making the noise you hear. For the rotors, one of the most common indicators is if the brake pedal pulsates when you apply the brakes, its probably time for them to be turned at a machine shop.

2. With your car being 5 years old, I wouldn't use it. Modern car engines don't need the lead and prolonged use would have negative effects on the emission sensors and exhaust system components of a vehicle not designed to use it. Older (pre-1976 or so) car engines required it to help with knocking and extend the life of some engine components.

introspective
05-31-2013, 05:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Since then, I have been receiving many speeding fines (Im not sure how many, cos I don't actually go to pick them up from the post office ......hoping they would disappear somehow.....)

Mechanical speedometers can malfunction due to improper calibration. Sometimes it can be due to weak soldering on the control board/head unit.

As far as checking oil and coolant levels, some people just check them when while they are filling petrol (note: open the hood before you start filling petrol; don't go inside the car as soon as you start filling since the static build up can ignite the petrol fumes).

It's okay to check once a month. It's fine as long as you don't see droplets of oil under the car, see thick plumes of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe (may indicate bad head gasket), or see dripping antifreeze (has a 'sweet' smell; toxic to cat and dogs).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!