/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Al-E-Imran 3.103-5

glo
05-26-2013, 01:49 PM
I hope it is alright to ask this question here.

I am a member of the local interfaith group and as a response to an arson attack on a mosque in our town we received an email today, expressing our support and prayers for our Muslim neighbours.

The email ended with this verse from the Qu'ran (I am not sure which translation is used):

Hold fast, all together, to God's rope, and be not divided among
yourselves. Remember with gratitude God's favour on you, for you
were enemies and He joined your hearts in love, so that by His
grace you became brethren.
You were on the brink of the fiery Pit,
and He saved you from it. Thus does God make His signs clear to
you, that you may be guided.

Let there arise out of you one community, inviting to all that is
good, enjoining what is right, and forbidding what is wrong: those
will be prosperous.
Be not be like those who are divided amongst
themselves and fall into disputations after receiving clear signs:
for them is a dreadful penalty.

Qur'an 3.103-5
Clearly, in the context of the email, this verse is used to call for unity in our community.

But I am wondering how Muslims would read it? Is it talking about ALL people or about the unity amongst Muslims and the Ummah?
Is it correct to use this within the context of interfaith workings?

I am reminded of Jesus' instructions to love 'our neighbour' as ourselves - a verse which can also lead to discussions amongst Christians as to WHO our neighbours are. Those who share our faith alone or everybody else too?

How do you understand Al-E-Imran 3.103-5?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
05-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Greetings glo,

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Is it talking about ALL people or about the unity amongst Muslims and the Ummah?
The clue would be in the first word of the first verse quoted, which is missing. The word, is "And". Verse 103 begins, "And hold fast..."

With it beginning "And", this tells us that it is continuation of what was mentioned in the verse before it, i.e. verse 102.

Verse 102 says:

O you who have believed, fear Allah as He should be feared and do not die except as Muslims [in submission to Him].

Thus it is clear, that this passage (102-105) is addressing only the Muslims.

It would not be correct to use these verses to mean all people, because it is addressed only to Muslims, and it would try to give a meaning to Qur'anic verses that is clearly not there.

We are not instructed to love everybody. Nor to hate everybody. But to have a middle, balanced, just course. And to be kind and just to those who are not hostile to us on account of our faith. (60:8) Our neighbours, those who live around us, have a great right on us, whether they are Muslim or non-Muslim. However there is a special bond of brotherhood between the believers (Muslims).

Peace.

Hulk
05-26-2013, 07:50 PM
In the Quran there are verses directed towards muslims(those who have submitted) and verses for mankind. The verse quoted if you see it in context is meant for muslims.

"O you who have believed, fear Allah as He should be feared and do not die except as Muslims [in submission to Him]."
- Quran Sura 'Ali `Imran Verse 103

Ahmad H
05-26-2013, 09:02 PM
In short, no, these verses aren't meant for all of mankind because the instructions here are meant for Muslims only. All of mankind isn't saved from the brink of fire, and neither is there ever going to be a collective effort for mankind to make a group of people preach the message of Islam as their life mission. It would be contradictory since then in that case all of mankind would have been guided.

As for the teaching Jesus (as) made about neighbors, Islam has laid a similar emphasis on neighborly love:

Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet said "Gabriel continued to recommend me about treating the neighbors Kindly and politely so much so that I thought he would order me to make them as my heirs. (Book #73, Hadith #43)
(Sahih Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Shuraih: The Prophet said, "By Allah, he does not believe! By Allah, he does not believe! By Allah, he does not believe!" It was said, "Who is that, O Allah's Apostle?" He said, "That person whose neighbor does not feel safe from his evil." (Book #73, Hadith #45)
(Sahih Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "Anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should not harm his neighbor, and anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should entertain his guest generously and anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should talk what is good or keep quiet. (i.e. abstain from all kinds of evil and dirty talk). (Book #73, Hadith #47)
(Sahih Bukhari)

Narrated 'Aisha: I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have two neighbors! To whom shall I send my gifts?" He said, "To the one whose gate in nearer to you." (Book #73, Hadith #49)
(Sahih Bukhari)

Narrated Aisha: I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have two neighbors and would like to know to which of them I should give presents." He replied, "To the one whose door is nearer to you." (Book #35, Hadith #460)
(Sahih Bukhari)

It is arrested on the authority of Anas b. Malik that the Prophet (may peace and blessings be upon him) observed: one amongst you believes (truly) till one likes for his brother or for his neighbour that which he loves for himself. (Book #001, Hadith #0072)
(Sahih Muslim)

It is narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessing be upon him) observed: He will not enter Paradise whose neighbour is not secure from his wrongful conduct. (Book#001, Hadith #0074)
(Sahih Muslim)

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: 0 Muslim women, none of you should consider even a sheep's trotter too insignificant to give to her neighbour. (Book #005, Hadith #2247)
(Sahih Muslim)

Abu Dharr reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) commanded me thus: Whenever you prepare a broth, add water to it, and have in your mind the members of the household of your neighbours and then give them out of this with courtesy. (Book #032, Hadith #6358)
(Sahih Muslim)

The companions of the Holy Prophet (saw) were very serious in following all of his injunctions. Here is another version of one of the narrations I gave above:

Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: None among you should prevent his neighbour from fixing a beam in his wall. Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) then said: What is this that I see you evading (this injunction of the Holy Prophet)? By Allah, I will certainly throw it between your shoulders (narrate this to you.) (Book #010, Hadith #3918)
(Sahih Muslim)

So there is a lot of stress on good relations with neighbors in Islam. I don't know of any verses of the Qur'an on neighborly relations, but there is a lot of emphasis by the Holy Prophet (saw) on being good towards neighbors. There is no distinction of neighbors in terms of being Muslim or non-Muslim. All are to be treated well.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Born_Believer
05-27-2013, 01:13 PM
There are some truly learned people in the way of Islam on this forum. And Miss Glo the work you are doing is great too. Although the verse you quoted is directed at Muslims, the Qu'ran and our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) taught us that we must treat people of all faiths with respect and justice. It's at times like this when the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) comes to the fore. The story of the woman who lived next door to him (PBUH) while the Muslims still lived in Makkah. She would constantly chuck her daily rubbish on the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) and when, one day she wasn't there, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) inquired as to her whereabouts and he (PBUH) was informed of her illness. He then went and prayed for her...I'm not sure if I remember this part correctly but I think she then converted to Islam.

My point is this, now is the time to show patience with those thugs who call themselves patriots and not to get involved in a tit for tat line of action. I'm not saying you shouldn't defend yourselves, or your families or your mosques but we should not initiate any further violence.

glo
05-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Thank you for your clarification. It confirms what I thought.

I guess the intention of the person who used the quote was to show solidarity with our Muslim members and to demonstrate that Islam teaches living in peace and unity with no-Muslims.

Are there any verses from the Qu'ran which you feel would have been better choices to demonstrate this?

Ahmad H
05-27-2013, 02:52 PM
There are a lot of verses that show the unity among mankind. The Prophets were meant to bring mankind together in unity:

2:213 Mankind was one single nation, and Allah sent Messengers with glad tidings and warnings; and with them He sent the Book in truth, to judge between people in matters wherein they differed; but the People of the Book, after the clear Signs came to them, did not differ among themselves, except through selfish contumacy. Allah by His Grace Guided the believers to the Truth, concerning that wherein they differed. For Allah guided whom He will to a path that is straight.

10:19 Mankind was but one nation, but differed (later). Had it not been for a word that went forth before from thy Lord, their differences would have been settled between them.

Mankind creates differences among themselves. If Allah had enforced His will, all of them would have been one community, no doubt, but the Word of Allah already went out to mankind that either they would be guided or misguided:

11:118 If thy Lord had so willed, He could have made mankind one people: but they will not cease to dispute.
11:119 Except those on whom thy Lord hath bestowed His Mercy: and for this did He create them: and the Word of thy Lord shall be fulfilled: "I will fill Hell with jinns and men all together."

So mankind can't be united unless they put their differences aside. This is common knowledge nowadays. But 1400 years ago this was a remarkable breakthrough since no one can say that any nation on earth believed in this. It is only in the 21st century that the world finally came to realize this commandment given in the Qur'an. Mankind is technically one community already, but it is men themselves that created these differences among themselves.

Is this what you were looking for Glo?

Born_Believer
05-27-2013, 05:42 PM
There is another verse, sorry I don't know which surah it's in but it goes along the lines of: "We have divided you into different nations and tribes, not so you may despise each other but so you may recognise one another"

It's basically saying our differences should be celebrated, black, white, Asian, what ever nationality, it shouldn't matter.

Hulk
05-27-2013, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
There is another verse, sorry I don't know which surah it's in but it goes along the lines of: "We have divided you into different nations and tribes, not so you may despise each other but so you may recognise one another"

It's basically saying our differences should be celebrated, black, white, Asian, what ever nationality, it shouldn't matter.
I think this is the one you are thinking of brother

"O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted."
Quran Sura Al-Hujurat Verse 13

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!