/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Losing fat the Islamic way

jimbo123
05-26-2013, 03:21 PM
I am not fat but I do have pudginess around my waist which I would like to get rid of.

I think counting calories is so boring, the Islamic diet seems a lot more natural. You only eat when you are really hungry and when you do, have a few bites. The most you should eat is a third of stomach and drink a third of stomach size.

I am having trouble visualising on a plate how much a third of your stomach is. Does the stomach go up to the chest?

Has anyone else here followed this kind of diet and did it make you leaner?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
05-26-2013, 03:51 PM
:sl:

I read that it's Sunnah to stop eating when u are still hungry / can eat more . It's good for health .

And Allah Knows Best.

jimbo123
05-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I tried doing it that way.

Normally I eat a 1.5 plates of rice with curry. I changed this to 1 full bowl. I was still a bit hungry by the end of it and an hour later I had some more :statisfie

Jedi_Mindset
05-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Fasting, eating less, and some sport is not wrong either :) You dont have to eat very less, just eat the right things.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
05-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I noticed that a lot of Muslims who pray namaaz 5 times a day for long periods of time tend to not be obese or getting fat.

Born_Believer
05-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Just eat as the Prophet prescribed and exercise regularly. Go out, play sports, something some of us may not do with our modern time constraints. Personally I always make an effort to go for a jog a couple times a week or play football. Try not to get caught up in ridiculous diets, they are detrimental to your health.

Hulk
05-27-2013, 10:49 AM
If you have a specific fitness goal it would be good to learn more about how you can achieve your goal.

jimbo123
05-28-2013, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
If you have a specific fitness goal it would be good to learn more about how you can achieve your goal.
I want to get an 8 pack, seriously. I do a lot of sport and resistance training so I think it's really a case of how I eat now.

UmmuShaheed
05-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Maybe you want to try eating less, and when you begin to get hungry then try distracting yourself.
Exercise and gradually build yourself up.

sister herb
05-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Salam alaykum

I would like to ask why this kind of way as losing weight is called as "islamic diet"? I see it is just quite logical way to lose weight: "don´t eat when you are not hungry". I have also heard advice like: use smaller plate - then smaller amount of food looks bigger as it fulls all plate. By this way you cheat your mind to think you eat more than you actually eat.

;D

That´s true that many diets are not very effective. Best way to lose weight is to change you habits to eat and living and continue it, not only for the time of the diet but for rest of your life.

Crimson
05-28-2013, 09:19 PM
I agree with the post above, it's not really Islamic you are just eating less haha. To get an 6/8 pack you will need to try and get below 8% body fat so you need a good diet and lot of cardio workouts to help shred the fat.
Also be careful you don't over do it by not eating enough, you don't want to lower your metabolism. So I would suggest having a normal diet, taking in what you need but not necessarily starving yourself and cardio workouts. There are many types such as circuits, continuous training, interval training, etc.

Hulk
05-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Remember that every action is by intention, so if your goal of losing weight the "islamic way" is so that you can show off your body then there's a certain irony to that game plan.

jimbo123
05-29-2013, 12:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Salam alaykum

I would like to ask why this kind of way as losing weight is called as "islamic diet"? I see it is just quite logical way to lose weight: "don´t eat when you are not hungry". I have also heard advice like: use smaller plate - then smaller amount of food looks bigger as it fulls all plate. By this way you cheat your mind to think you eat more than you actually eat.

;D

That´s true that many diets are not very effective. Best way to lose weight is to change you habits to eat and living and continue it, not only for the time of the diet but for rest of your life.
Okay maybe I used the wrong word when I said diet. What I really meant is lifestyle change by following the Islamic way of eating.

format_quote Originally Posted by Crimson
I agree with the post above, it's not really Islamic you are just eating less haha. To get an 6/8 pack you will need to try and get below 8% body fat so you need a good diet and lot of cardio workouts to help shred the fat.
Also be careful you don't over do it by not eating enough, you don't want to lower your metabolism. So I would suggest having a normal diet, taking in what you need but not necessarily starving yourself and cardio workouts. There are many types such as circuits, continuous training, interval training, etc.
Yeah I'm not going to starve myself. The only problem is that a majority of my calories comes from my mums food. If my mum gives me a plate of rice with curry I am guessing that is about 1000 calories so I have to compensate by having smaller meals the rest of the day.

jimbo123
05-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Remember that every action is by intention, so if your goal of losing weight the "islamic way" is so that you can show off your body then there's a certain irony to that game plan.
I don't show off my body. I normally wear fitted (but never tight) clothes and when working out I wear loose clothing.

My reasons for losing fat and changing my diet in no particular order:
1. The challenge of attaining a good physique
2. To look good for future wife. If I expect to marry someone who maintains her health and beauty then I have to do the same for her.
3. Health reasons
4. Eating too much makes me lazy.
5. I do have a genuine fear of Allah about eating until my belly is full

nila11
05-31-2013, 08:56 AM
if we fellow our Prophet (PBUH) life's rolls i think we will not face all that problems ---.

Ali Mujahidin
05-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Many years ago, someone told me that the Holy Prophet recommended that we should only eat when we are hungry and to stop before we are full. I have yet to check this out fully but I can see the logic in it.

From my personal experience, I found that eating is very much a matter of habit. It's something like a conditioned reflex. You just do it automatically without thinking. That, I suppose, is how some people can over-eat, because they are used to it. On the other hand, you can also condition yourself to eat less and, once the habit is established, it becomes natural to eat less.

As for being Islamic, I think staying fit is in line with the teaching of Islam. However, I think obsession with how the body looks is over-doing it. From what I understand, to have a body fit to show in a body-building poster takes a lot of effort and time. I believe the effort and time would be much better spent doing other things encouraged in Islam.

Jedi_Mindset
05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Mujahidin
Many years ago, someone told me that the Holy Prophet recommended that we should only eat when we are hungry and to stop before we are full. I have yet to check this out fully but I can see the logic in it.

From my personal experience, I found that eating is very much a matter of habit. It's something like a conditioned reflex. You just do it automatically without thinking. That, I suppose, is how some people can over-eat, because they are used to it. On the other hand, you can also condition yourself to eat less and, once the habit is established, it becomes natural to eat less.

As for being Islamic, I think staying fit is in line with the teaching of Islam. However, I think obsession with how the body looks is over-doing it. From what I understand, to have a body fit to show in a body-building poster takes a lot of effort and time. I believe the effort and time would be much better spent doing other things encouraged in Islam.
I dont think is true bro, as the OP has stated he isnt looking for a 'bodybuilidng-type of body', he just wants to have a healthy body and with a 6-pack he has stated, you will have one, not for the purpose of showing off, but there are alot of positives when you have a athletic body. You are able to move better, breath better and various other things. It wont really get you into the way of islamic duties, infact i found this a excuse from many muslims to dont do it, while its reconmended to keep our body fit and healthy, also to eat healthy, so that is a jihad in itself. Scholars have stated that we are allowed to do so, as long it isnt for showing off.

I follow a intensive workout and it has changed me alot alhamdulillah. i do this because of the very postives and because i want to look for a Martial Arts school later on insha'Allah.

You can eat, but you can control it. 1/3 water, 1/3 food, 1/3 air as reconmended by prophet muhammed(Saw). its the nafs and desires we should control, eating much is one of our desires. If you eat much, atleast eat the healthy things.

:sl:

Hulk
05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Guys a six pack is not a reflection of a healthy body, just low body fat percentage which does't necessarily mean healthy. As to the Prophet's (peace be upon him) dietary advice, I think we have to look deeper into it rather than think of it as a kind of advice on losing weight or being healthy. It is to tame the nafs.

Iceee
05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
You can eat, but you can control it. 1/3 water, 1/3 food, 1/3 air as reconmended by prophet muhammed(Saw). its the nafs and desires we should control, eating much is one of our desires. If you eat much, atleast eat the healthy things.
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Mujahidin
One of the most dangerous things that may doom the son of Adam to Hell is the desire of his belly, as the belly is the basis of all other desires and the essence of all problems and diseases. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The son of Adam does not fill any vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for the son of Adam to eat a few morsels to keep him alive. If he must fill it, then one-third for his food, one-third for his drink, and one-third for air.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2380), classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: A man burped in the presence of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he said: “Keep your burps away from us, for the one who eats his fill the most in this world will be hungry for the longest time on the Day of Resurrection.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2015); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Muhaba
05-31-2013, 12:43 PM
when you have rice, always eat a bit of bread - like Italian bread - before eating a small amount of rice. rice gets digested quickly so you get hungrier quickly. rice is one of my favorite foods (along with pasta); I love it more than bread and it's something I can't resist. lately, I limit to just one serving of rice along with vegetables, bread, meat, fruit etc. By eating different types of food, you have a balanced diet and can more easily avoid eating the wrong kinds. Avoid fried and deep fried foods altogether. Use oils sparingly. Food tastes just as good without oil. Tomatoes are one of the best vegetable - although some consider them fruit, I don't! Fresh tomatoes actually reduce appetite.

If you know that when you eat 1.5 plates of rice and get full, then 1/3 would be about half plate. Of course you should eat less than 1/2 plate rice, eating a portion of bread, meat, vegetables, and fruit as well. Drink plenty of water, like 6 glasses of water a day. exercise well daily but don't go overboard. Eating too little and exercising too much will cause you to fail easily. Reduce your eating to 1/3 of your current if possible, change to a balanced diet, and exercise 1/2 hour to 1 hour several times a week.

Jedi_Mindset
05-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Guys a six pack is not a reflection of a healthy body, just low body fat percentage which does't necessarily mean healthy. As to the Prophet's (peace be upon him) dietary advice, I think we have to look deeper into it rather than think of it as a kind of advice on losing weight or being healthy. It is to tame the nafs.
not only low body fat percentage, but there are quite other positives on it, like breathing better and moving better, these are the reason why i do much stomach exercises and it helps alhamdulillah. A few other steps to go and i will join a MA school insha'Allah. a six pack doesnt mean you are healthy, true but it is still for someone who does alot of sport activities. We get also asked if we have a healthy body ;) six pack isnt only because of low fat percentage thats a bit nonsense. it also determines if you exercise your stomach muscles well.

however i think we should end this subject since there are sisters here.

Hulk
05-31-2013, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Mindset
not only low body fat percentage, but there are quite other positives on it, like breathing better and moving better, these are the reason why i do much stomach exercises and it helps alhamdulillah. A few other steps to go and i will join a MA school insha'Allah. a six pack doesnt mean you are healthy, true but it is still for someone who does alot of sport activities. We get also asked if we have a healthy body ;) six pack isnt only because of low fat percentage thats a bit nonsense. it also determines if you exercise your stomach muscles well.
It's true that visible abs isn't only due to low body fat percentage, it is also due to training the core but one can still train the core without prioritising visible abs. Different people store fat differently in their bodies so some might need to be in a lower body fat percentage than others in order to have visible abs. It is for this reason that I would say if one's goal is to be healthy then visible abs is not the best gauge for it. And MashaAllah bro I hope you learn a lot in MA school.

saleemkhan
05-31-2013, 06:54 PM
fasting is great way to lose fats

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!