/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What God called for me to do today

GodIsAll
05-27-2013, 07:41 AM
For those of you who are not American, we take a day to remember our fallen troops once per year, Memorial Day.
I was an American high school football coach for over 20 years. I was looking at CNN and happened to see some photos of deceased servicemen. One of my favorite young men in all those years I coached was featured. He was lost to an IED in Iraq in March of 2008. His parents asked me to speak at his funeral.

I've given countless radio, TV interviews and hosted more banquets and awards ceremonies than I can recall. This speaking engagement was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. What a waste. What a fine, tough, loyal, hard working kid...sucked into a situation that was so unnecessary. (Iraq)

I knew instantly what my itinerary for the day was. I loaded up my family and drove the 30 minutes to his parents' house. Prior to, however, I bought them a tulip poplar tree, and Brought topsoil and shovels. My son and I put that beautiful creation right in their front yard in remembrance of their fallen son.

I had not seen his parents but once since the funeral and they were elated for the company as memorial day was very heavy to them. We were there for hours, trading stories about their sons (I had them both as players and students).

Thanks to you, God, for allowing me the honor and privilige to be your servant! The inspiration was divine. We had totally different plans that day, but we were told to serve.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
05-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience with us brother. I think it is a sad situation when people are killed and they don't know why they are being killed, and people kill and they don't even know why they are killing.

GodIsAll
05-27-2013, 11:25 AM
So true.

It was just a recent experience I wanted to share how God uses us all for good in this world. It is my contention we have to listen. I was implemented to bring a ray of light into a difficult day. The idea to drop in on them unannounced was not my own.

My 12 year old son has expressed an interest in being a soldier. I feel many young men do this wanting to serve and sacrifice. Noble, but much free choice goes out the window. I would have to trust in the people making the decisions and I sure as Heck don't have any confidence in our leaders' choices at this stage.

Do you believe God uses people to run down another in a car and take a butcher knife to them? Do you think God uses people to fire a drone missle into a crowded area where there are innocents? Those kinds of acts are wholly beneath God's intentions for us in regards to each other.

Muslim Woman
05-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Hello ,

as a Muslim and non American , I feel no sympathy for the ' fallen stars' . Only God knows, how many innocents are killed by them , how many innocents including kids are injured by them .

May God grants what they deserve in hereafter.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GodIsAll
05-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Well, I knew this one and I am outraged and sickened by his passing. America had no business in Iraq, none.

Nevertheless, this left two parents without a son. The point I was making was that I felt called by our same Creator to ease the suffering of two dear people.

MustafaMc
05-27-2013, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
I feel many young men do this wanting to serve and sacrifice. Noble, but much free choice goes out the window.
I imagine that the young man you knew who died enlisted with what he felt were noble intentions. Despite their intentions, these soldiers are at the mercy of the orders by their officers to kill and die even after they become disillusioned by what they have seen and done. As Muslim Woman stated it is hard to know how many innocent civilians these same soldiers killed before they themselves were killed. I know it is tragic when one knows the soldier who died personally, but how many consider the survivors of the ones killed by them? How much good has come from the regime changing invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq? How many people have died as a direct and indirect result of these unjust wars and the economic sanctions before them? The soldiers who gave their lives, limbs and psychological well being have surely sacrificed tremendously, but in their doing so, what good has in actuality come from it?

M.I.A.
05-27-2013, 06:39 PM
as a coach you must understand the importance you gave to winning.

to improving those under your care.

to teaching them.

but its not the same in the army.

...when it becomes so...its on an individual basis it would seem.

i may be wrong, maybe armies just spread freedom.

and people learn what they want to learn.

all praise is due to allah swt.

i hope he has mercy upon those i care about.

GodIsAll
05-27-2013, 06:46 PM
This thread was not meant to be of a political nature. I am not endorsing American involvement in Iraq. I am not supporting Memorial Day.

What I am trying to say is that, if we are spiritually connected, we get called to be our Creator's tool.

Ever take a different route home that makes no sense, only to find the elderly lady with a flat tire on a deserted road in sub-zero temperatures? You realize you were guided to be there to help her. Those subtle thoughts come not from within, but from the divine. I find I am called every day in some way. Sometimes it is for a small reason, sometimes it is huge.

Set all the political perspectives aside momentarily. I am awed and humbled that I got to serve Allah's will by making a grieving couple's day better.

M.I.A.
05-27-2013, 06:49 PM
This thread was not meant to be of a political nature. I am not endorsing American involvement in Iraq. I am not supporting Memorial Day.

What I am trying to say is that, if we are spiritually connected, we get called to be our Creator's tool.

Ever take a different route home that makes no sense, only to find the elderly lady with a flat tire on a deserted road in sub-zero temperatures? You realize you were guided to be there to help her. Those subtle thoughts come not from within, but from the divine. I find I am called every day in some way. Sometimes it is for a small reason, sometimes it is huge.

Set all the political perspectives aside momentarily. I am awed and humbled that I got to serve Allah's will by making a grieving couple's day better.

sure it happens, imagine running a store.. or being a counter clerk.

or a garage mechanic.

or a science teacher.

or an office worker.

a bus driver.

imagine.. and use your own example.

muslims are servants of allah swt.

he has no need of us, his will is always done.

unfortunately, im not always playing the good guy it would seem.

so its a great struggle.

...self importance went out the window a long time ago.

(i dont even talk much anymore)

MustafaMc
05-27-2013, 06:59 PM
I am awed and humbled that I got to serve Allah's will by making a grieving couple's day better.
Would it be too personal to ask what the nature was of what you said that made their day better? What do they feel about their son's ultimate sacrifice? What was his intention in going to war?

GodIsAll
05-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Yes.
As I stated, no self importance, just humbled and awed to serve.

sister herb
05-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Salam alaykum/Peace with you GodIsAll

When I read your post, I have to admit that I was thinking like sister Muslim Woman but I didn´t write like she did. Why? You met deep grief of parents as lost they child and there is no need to mix some political matters with. They miss they child who was unique to them - loved and just same what he had done during his life.

I didn´t write my feelings just as the respect of they feelings - and yours too.

It doesn´t change anything if we speculate how many he possible killed before his death - maybe he didn´t kill anyone.

May Allah gives rest to those whose miss him.

GodIsAll
05-27-2013, 07:58 PM
This young man was a tough, hard working soul. I will always remember how he always stood u
p to others who attempted to pick on weaker individuals. His dedication to whatever cause he undertook was unparalleled.

I never discussed with his parents the sacrifice he made in relation to our country's decision to be in Iraq. I have made it clear how I feel about it here.

There were exchanges of stories we had about all the games, practices and interaction we had over several years. Some I hadn't heard before. One I shared was at practice one day, I found a mushroom, Amanita phalloides, the death cap. I gathered the whole squad in and began explaining how to identify it, the toxins it contained, in other words, I go into full bio-nerd mode. He's on a knee grinning the whole time and when I'm done he states: "Coach, it's funny how you lose your mind if we're 30 seconds late from our water break, but we can stop the whole operation to look at a mushroom."

He had a point.

Just lots of funny stories that made us all remember him fondly. The lad played the second half of his last season with a broken ankle. He didn't do it for notoriety or attention. He did it because he believed his teammates needed him. We've had some over the years that think they need a week off due to a hang nail.

My family and I had to leave sooner than we wanted as someone always has to be at home due to mother in law's health. The parents didn't want us to leave. We parted laughing, a little teary eyed, and lots of hugs all around.

I am so grateful my family was given this opportunity to serve.

GodIsAll
05-27-2013, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Salam alaykum/Peace with you GodIsAll

When I read your post, I have to admit that I was thinking like sister Muslim Woman but I didn´t write like she did. Why? You met deep grief of parents as lost they child and there is no need to mix some political matters with. They miss they child who was unique to them - loved and just same what he had done during his life.

I didn´t write my feelings just as the respect of they feelings - and yours too.

It doesn´t change anything if we speculate how many he possible killed before his death - maybe he didn´t kill anyone.

May Allah gives rest to those whose miss him.
Thank you most kindly. Love and peace to all.

Insaanah
05-27-2013, 09:38 PM

This is being told as a good deed that one did at Gods calling, one feeling that one has done a wonderful thing, manifested as gratefulness to God or humbleness at having done it. You might be interested to know, that from an Islamic point of view, this is where there is the danger of riyaa entering (unnecessarily making public one's having done a good deed, or being pleased by receiving kudos or thanks from people at having done it). Riyaa has been described as more inconspicuous than a black ant crawling on a black rock in the black of the night. It is easy to fall into without even realising one is doing it, which is why as Muslims we have to be very careful.

I don't know if you're a Christian, but this sounds very much how Christians believe the Holy Spirit dwells within them and tells them/guides them to do certain things.

As Muslims we would normally keep a good deed we'd done private. We would acknowledge others good deeds done to us, but would not recount the good we'd done to others.

Hope it is helpful having another dimension on it.

Peace.

sister herb
05-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Salam alaykum

As muslim I agree to keep good deeds just private but... telling your deeds might gives good example and advice to others like idea how to help.

M.I.A.
05-27-2013, 10:57 PM
This young man was a tough, hard working soul. I will always remember how he always stood u
p to others who attempted to pick on weaker individuals. His dedication to whatever cause he undertook was unparalleled.

I never discussed with his parents the sacrifice he made in relation to our country's decision to be in Iraq. I have made it clear how I feel about it here.

There were exchanges of stories we had about all the games, practices and interaction we had over several years. Some I hadn't heard before. One I shared was at practice one day, I found a mushroom, Amanita phalloides, the death cap. I gathered the whole squad in and began explaining how to identify it, the toxins it contained, in other words, I go into full bio-nerd mode. He's on a knee grinning the whole time and when I'm done he states: "Coach, it's funny how you lose your mind if we're 30 seconds late from our water break, but we can stop the whole operation to look at a mushroom."

He had a point.

Just lots of funny stories that made us all remember him fondly. The lad played the second half of his last season with a broken ankle. He didn't do it for notoriety or attention. He did it because he believed his teammates needed him. We've had some over the years that think they need a week off due to a hang nail.

My family and I had to leave sooner than we wanted as someone always has to be at home due to mother in law's health. The parents didn't want us to leave. We parted laughing, a little teary eyed, and lots of hugs all around.

I am so grateful my family was given this opportunity to serve.

nice story.

i guess spotting mushrooms probably saved many overseas's.

unfortunately, offensive plays probably still need working on.

two sides of the same coin imo.

i get the feeling that you feel very strongly about serving in your own way.

i cant fault it, its the difference between heroes and cowards.

i used to play football, less nowadays.. someone on my own squad nearly smashed my leg.

GodIsAll
05-28-2013, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

This is being told as a good deed that one did at Gods calling, one feeling that one has done a wonderful thing, manifested as gratefulness to God or humbleness at having done it. You might be interested to know, that from an Islamic point of view, this is where there is the danger of riyaa entering (unnecessarily making public one's having done a good deed, or being pleased by receiving kudos or thanks from people at having done it). Riyaa has been described as more inconspicuous than a black ant crawling on a black rock in the black of the night. It is easy to fall into without even realising one is doing it, which is why as Muslims we have to be very careful.

I don't know if you're a Christian, but this sounds very much how Christians believe the Holy Spirit dwells within them and tells them/guides them to do certain things.

As Muslims we would normally keep a good deed we'd done private. We would acknowledge others good deeds done to us, but would not recount the good we'd done to others.

Hope it is helpful having another dimension on it.

Peace.
"Riyaad". This is a new term to me, but I understand what you're saying. Thank you and your point is taken.

I must reevaluate my communication skills as this thread has gone in directions I never intended and common sense points to me as not being clear in my intentions. I would not share this story in a "real world" situation for the exact reason you're alluding to. I thought it was a beautiful and spiritual experience that some here could relate to.

My point was that as we all try to serve as we're supposed to, we are guided to do things that we don't see so clearly until the closure. I was told to do what I did, never knowing the profound impact it would have. All glory goes to our Creator, who knows best.

My own teenage son often asks for guidance in difficult choices and situations. My advice is to quit talking. Quit worrying about the expectations of his friends and society. Instead, do it as Allah wishes you to. This always makes a choice quite clear. His actions, decisions and deeds are to be as God wills it, no one else matters. The key, in my view, is to let go of the ego and listen to what you're told to do, by our Creator alone.

GodIsAll
05-28-2013, 01:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
nice story.

i guess spotting mushrooms probably saved many overseas's.

unfortunately, offensive plays probably still need working on.

two sides of the same coin imo.

i get the feeling that you feel very strongly about serving in your own way.

i cant fault it, its the difference between heroes and cowards.

i used to play football, less nowadays.. someone on my own squad nearly smashed my leg.
Alas, MIA! I hope your leg injury was a temporary one. Your posts always make me smile. I think it would be fun to know you in the real world.

M.I.A.
05-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Alas, MIA! I hope your leg injury was a temporary one. Your posts always make me smile. I think it would be fun to know you in the real world.
it has,

to be fair, im not always happy with my posts.

like i said, sometimes the worst comes out of me.

but there is no compulsion in religion.

i will not always follow what is happening, im not sure how long that fault can be overlooked.

but i guess that is the test for most.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!