/* */

PDA

View Full Version : All about food and eating outsite

new2010
05-28-2013, 09:53 PM
salamalaikum,

I have been confused for a long time due to ruling on food. What are people allowed to eat when living in non-muslim countries. Let's say your are traveling and you do not know any halal restaurants or can not find anyone (or too far away), in spite of 'hours' of seeking. May you go buy some paste or rice in a Chinese restaurant or Italian restaurant? I do not know whether this is from shaytaan but we do not know what they use. When we ask the person who sells that food, if there are any ingredients like alcohol or meat and he says no, can we be sure, that those food will be automatically halal. It is hard to find halal food, I am seeking for an emergency plan, for travels.

There is a hadith, that says: when something has alcohol but do not intoxicate somebody, it is permissible. So when we have chewing gum (for instance), and some of them contain glycerin, would that be permissible? I know in some countries like UK they declare their products when suitable for vegetarians - is that a proof for a muslim, too? When you are buying sweets or breath e.g.? Or Mc Donalds, the meat is haram in non-muslim countries, but can we go and eat chips and in that case have you to verify whether the ketchup has any ingredients what is not halal? They say the veggie burger is for vegetarian, what can a muslim do with this information, is it valid? Or you want to buy some fish but there is a sauce... How much have we go into detail? I think you know what I mean and I have not go to deep into examples. I appreciate an answer and explanation very much.

:jazak:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
new2010
06-05-2013, 09:30 AM
salamalaikum,

please let me know when you have problems to understand my English, I will try to express better. Otherwise I am wondering that nobody know ruling on things like that, it is literally a non-spezific question.

'Abd-al Latif
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
salamalaikum,

I have been confused for a long time due to ruling on food. What are people allowed to eat when living in non-muslim countries. Let's say your are traveling and you do not know any halal restaurants or can not find anyone (or too far away), in spite of 'hours' of seeking. May you go buy some paste or rice in a Chinese restaurant or Italian restaurant? I do not know whether this is from shaytaan but we do not know what they use. When we ask the person who sells that food, if there are any ingredients like alcohol or meat and he says no, can we be sure, that those food will be automatically halal. It is hard to find halal food, I am seeking for an emergency plan, for travels.

There is a hadith, that says: when something has alcohol but do not intoxicate somebody, it is permissible. So when we have chewing gum (for instance), and some of them contain glycerin, would that be permissible? I know in some countries like UK they declare their products when suitable for vegetarians - is that a proof for a muslim, too? When you are buying sweets or breath e.g.? Or Mc Donalds, the meat is haram in non-muslim countries, but can we go and eat chips and in that case have you to verify whether the ketchup has any ingredients what is not halal? They say the veggie burger is for vegetarian, what can a muslim do with this information, is it valid? Or you want to buy some fish but there is a sauce... How much have we go into detail? I think you know what I mean and I have not go to deep into examples. I appreciate an answer and explanation very much.

:jazak:
:wasalamex

May Allah reward you for your patience when you were hungry but did not eat anything out of fear of Allah's punishment.

The general ruling is that all foods are permissible except for those foods which are forbidden. Allah says:

"O mankind, eat from whatever is on earth [that is] lawful and good and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy."

It permissible is to eat foods such as pasta and rice that are made in non-Muslim restaurants, as long as there are no ingredients included in them that are prohibited for a Muslim to eat. These ingredients may include things such as spirit vinegar, any form of alcohol, animal extracts such as gelatine, meat that has not been slaughtered with the name of Allah etc.

If you go to a non-Muslim restaurant you can ask them to show you their vegetarian menu (it is permissible for Muslims to consume vegetarian food) or ask them for any specific ingredients their foods may include. They are required to tell you if you ask and they cannot withhold this information due to the EU laws regarding health and safety (for people who may be allergic to certain ingredients). Furthermore, a good restaurant will be eager to serve you food according to your needs and will not tell you to "take it or leave it". If you feel that a restaurant is giving you such an impression, just walk out and go to a different restaurant as there will hardly be shortage of places to eat in Europe.

Regarding vegetarian foods sold outside of restaurants, all European countries have strict regulations regarding food and its contents. It is obligatory by the EU laws to label all foods with their ingredient information for consumers, which must be accurate and correct. Because these food standards are taken seriously, and food companies are wary of being taken to court and sued millions if they are found guilty of advertising falsely/inaccurately, they will be careful to include exactly what is mentioned in the "ingredient information".

Regarding specific restaurants like Burger King, McDonalds etc my advice is to avoid them. I have my doubts about these places.

Hope this helps.

~Zaria~
06-05-2013, 05:36 PM
:salam:

It can be challenging to find halaal food outlets when travelling abroad.

My personal opinion is that as far as possible, avoid eating at non-muslim restaurants.

I will never forget (in shaa Allah), the day when I ordered a tuna sandwich at our campus canteen - and witnessed with my own eyes, my sandwich being sliced with the very same knife and cutting board that was used to slice the bacon sandwich, that came before my order.
Alhamdulillah, that was the day, that changed my entire outlook on non-muslim restaurants and the problem with hygiene and cross-contamination that exists.

Some travel tips that, in shaa Allah, may be useful:

1. Try your best to locate halaal restaurants before landing at your destination.
Alhamdulillah, this is now much easier than in the past (when we did not have internet).

2. If you know that eating out is going to be a problem, then try to travel as prepared as possible:

- Easy-cook noodles (that only need boiling water), easy-oats, easy-cook savoury rice/ curries in-a-bag (usually needs boiling water or a microwave), health biscuits, mini-tuna cans - are some examples of foods that you can travel with.
- In a non-muslim region, it is often a good idea to stay in a self-catering hotel - so that while you are there, you can purchase vegetarian foods/ halaal products from the local supermarket to prepare (esp. if you are on an extended trip).
- If you are spending a day sight-seeing, and you can already foretell problems in finding decent food, then leave your hotel prepared: fruits, prepared sandwiches, snacks, etc.
- Be prepared for eating a little unhealthy during your trip/ possibly losing some weight during trip, lol (seriously!)

2.If possible, try to find the nearest mosque/ area where muslims reside.
In shaa Allah, they will be able to direct you towards the appropriate eating places.

3. If you have absolutely no choice but to eat at a non-muslim restaurant, then order 'safe' foods:
Muffins :), coffee/ tea :), fried chips (if you can see it fried in front of you)......and I think thats about it :)

I used to order salads from these restaurants......until I saw them prepare the vegetables with the same utensils as well (and that was the end of my salvation in salads, as well :/ )

4. If you can find a Seafood restaurant, then you have struck gold!
(Just ensure that they do not cook your fish in alcohol - Ask them directly - it may not be mentioned in the menu)

5. If you find a Vegan restaurant (often run by strict gujeratis), then this is Super-gold!
^ Here you can be rest assured that there will be no traces of animal products - not even egg :P
(And the food is often quite good too.....esp. if you've been starving a few days : ) )

6. With regards to the constituents of sauces and other ingredients:
If you are aware that of a particular problem at a certain food outlet (as mentioned), then its best to avoid eating there.
If not, then these items are halaal, and can be consumed (without becoming overly-suspicious).

7. Do not trust Deserts
They sometimes contain alcohol/ sherry - and its not always easy to identity which one it is (sometimes the waiter does not even know).

Remember, if there is any doubt, its best to avoid.
And Allah (subhanawataa'la) will reward you for this, in shaa Allah.

Happy travels :)

:wasalam:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
new2010
06-09-2013, 01:36 PM
assalamualaikum wa rahmetullah,

barak allahu feekum for your replies. May Allah reward you both.

What gives you that idea vinegar is haram, bro? Here is a nice video: [I am not allowed to send any links: so see on youtube: Sheikh Bilal Philips When Alcohol May be Halal]

How can we identify whether a halal restaurant is really halal? Many Muslims have a wrong idea about ruling of halal food.<br><br>Exist somewhere a list of definition for ingredients where we can see which ingredients intoxicate in a great extent?

:jazakh:

Abdul Fattah
06-09-2013, 03:37 PM
if you know in advance you're gonna visit a city you can alwys google to find a halal place, or pack your lunch. It's not actually a necesity if their are alternatives...

Ali Mujahidin
06-10-2013, 04:03 AM
This is what I do when I find myself in a strange city and I cannot find an obviously Muslim restaurant or eating stall. I eat bread.

Yes, it's probably possible to prepare bread using haram ingredients but the possibity of 'contaminated' bread is very much less when compared to food cooked by person or persons unknown. What I have been taught is that if it doesn't look like pork, smell like pork, taste like pork, feel like pork or sound like pork, then it's not pork. Of course, I have the advantage of knowing what exactly pork is like since I have eaten plenty of pork before.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!