/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Study of Canadian Muslims and Perspectives on Dogs

JohanneH
05-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Hello Islamic Board, my name is Johanne Horsfall, and I am a Graduate Student at Carleton University in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. For my Masters Thesis, I am studying the different ways in which Canadians perceive dogs. In particular, I am intrigued by the perspectives of Canadian Muslims. The “mainstream” attitude towards dogs in Canada appears to be quite positive, as an estimated 32% own one.

One part of this project consists of an online survey that is targeted toward Canadian Muslims. If some of you could fill out this survey, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://fluidsurveys.com/s/canadian-m...ew-of-animals/

I have been reading this forum for a little while, and I am interested in what people have to say about this issue. What is your personal opinion about dogs and dog ownership? Do those of you living in “dog-centric” countries like Canada feel any “conflict?” Are there any legal issues that you feel need to be addressed (i.e. the presence of police dogs at airports and border crossings etc.)?

For those Muslims who own dogs, I am interested in the ways in which you interact with the dog(s). For instance, is the dog kept outside, or in certain rooms? What practices do you engage in to maintain ritual purity? How do your Muslim friends or family react to this? If possible, if those Canadian Muslim dog owners are willing, I would be interested in engaging in email correspondence about additional questions. Please email me at johanne_horsfall@carleton.ca if you wish to participate in a private and confidential “email interview.” However, you are welcome to write about it in this thread too.

I am very interested in hearing people’s opinions about this issue. While this study is focused on Canadian Muslims, those from other parts of the world are more than welcome to participate in this discussion. However, I would ask that only Canadians fill out the survey.

Your responses will be kept in the strictest confidence, and this project has been given clearance by the Carleton University Research Ethics Board. Feel free to contact me at johanne_horsfall@carleton.ca or the Carleton University Research Ethics Board at ethics@carleton.ca

Thank you very much, I look forward to learning from you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
05-30-2013, 01:55 AM
Islamic point of view is that dogs that are owned should be only owned for protection & the hunt, they're kept outside since all animals should be free and not imprisoned in homes. I am pained to see especially in the city absurd people walking around with huge dogs which they entrap in tiny apartments and fed bizarre packaged foods. We are to be kind to animals and that is the short and long of it. I can't speak for Muslims I am just giving you the Islamic point of view.

best,

Iceee
05-30-2013, 04:14 AM
I live in Toronto Canada.

According to Islaamic Sharee’ah, it is not permitted to keep a dog except within narrowly-defined limits, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained: "Whoever keeps a dog, his good deeds will decrease every day by one qeeraat (a unit of measurement), unless it is a dog for farming or herding." According to another report: ". . . unless it is a dog for herding sheep, farming or hunting." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 2322)

format_quote Originally Posted by JohanneH
What is your personal opinion about dogs and dog ownership?
I don't mind non-Muslims owning dogs. But I can tell which class-mates have a dog by looking at their clothes all covered in... yeah. I avoid getting to close to those students in particular. My mom always said that you can get sick by being around someone who owns a dog... I still listen to her advise without question... 14 years after she told me.

Do those of you living in “dog-centric” countries like Canada feel any “conflict?”
No conflict other than the time when my friend and I were cycling through pathway at a local park when we were kids. We started racing and we saw a woman. We were going really fast but we were on the right side of sidewalk and she was on her right of pathway heading our direction. Then all of a sudden a dog comes in front of my friends way... He was going to fast and couldn't stop in time...

She learned a valuable lesson: Keep a leash on your dog. :)

Are there any legal issues that you feel need to be addressed (i.e. the presence of police dogs at airports and border crossings etc.)?
The area which I used to live in was really Muslim based. The kids were terrified of dogs even if they were on leashes. I always told them not to be scared, if the dog attacks, they will be put down :)

Just keep your dog on a leash, and there will be no problems.

UmmuShaheed
06-02-2013, 11:20 PM
I live in the Us, and it is dog-centric country but No I dont feel any conflict. I understand pet owners love for their pets. ( I have a cat who I love dearly.)
Islamically Its prohibited to own one, and I understand why.
I dont feel any legal issues need to be addressed, Service dogs have a role they need to fulfill.
And on a normal occasion (parks, sidewalks)
If your afraid of dogs, then stay away from them. Owners should keep them on their leash. Everyone's happy:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
JohanneH
07-08-2013, 06:27 PM
I am bumping this topic so that others may see it. Thank you very much to those who have contributed thus far.

Feel free to post your opinions about the subject of Islam and dogs, regardless of what country you are from.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Johanne

crimsontide06
07-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Personally I am a cat person....but this is one issue I scratch my head over. It doesn't make sense to me. Here; dogs are "man's best friend" who CLEARLY love their human owners (dogs are not evil..). There are multiple reports of dogs who, after their owner died, would not move from the persons grave. They sit at the grave and cry. Dogs have saved peoples lives, help children, blind...etc.

Iceee
07-09-2013, 02:45 AM
Salaam.

About dogs; Muslims are encouraged to keep a dog in-cases of protection such as if they live in an area where lots of burglaries occur, the dog would be beneficial in protecting you and your wealth. But we mustn't treat this animal unkindly because it is a animal which Allah has given us.

I don't understand the comment from above. Like do you like dogs? Keep one as a pet in your home? Kiss one? Please elaborate.

format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
Personally I am a cat person....but this is one issue I scratch my head over. It doesn't make sense to me. Here; dogs are "man's best friend" who CLEARLY love their human owners (dogs are not evil..).
Ibn Maajah (3640) narrated from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding, hunting or farming, one qiraat will be deducted from his reward each day.” Narrated by Muslim, 1575.

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding livestock or a dog that is trained for hunting, two qiraats will be deducted from his reward each day.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5163; Muslim, 1574.

crimsontide06
07-12-2013, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
I don't understand the comment from above. Like do you like dogs? Keep one as a pet in your home? Kiss one? Please elaborate.
Oh I do not have a dog...(scared of certain breeds) but I just meant that the Muslim attitude towards dogs is confusing...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!