/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I was called to help, and I ignored it.

GodIsAll
05-31-2013, 03:59 AM
Recently, I submitted a post where I was called to help some people and I served. This post is about ignoring God and failing to act when called to serve.

Some time ago, I was called to help a friend and I ignored what I was supposed to do.

A good friend of mine, whose name was Joe, was away from school for the summer months. He was a close friend, albeit somewhat misguided. We had many long talks over the years and many fruitful discussions. I was aware that he was depressed and was having some internal issues and family problems.

I had not seen him for several weeks and, in truth, being tied up with my own challenges and schedules, I had not thought of him much. Then it began: the overwhelming message that he needed some help, a friend that would listen. I kept putting off the message and I will admit, I put myself before him. I wasn't "in the mood" to take it on. I didn't want anyone else's burden or drama. Little did I realize the extent of how badly he was suffering.

In the back of my mind, I was aware I was not walking a path I was supposed to. I was being both selfish and even defiant.

Soon thereafter, I got the phone call. Joe had shot himself in the mouth with a 12 gauge shotgun. The thing is, somehow, I KNEW he needed help, a friend. I ignored the calling.

It would be unrealistic to blame myself for his death and I am by no means looking for pity or reassurance.

Let us just say I believe wholeheartedly that God uses his servants every day. I have learned to listen.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
05-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Look, God doesn't talk to anyone and He doesn't call people to do anything. We're in the world for a test, to see who does good and who doesn't. There are many instances where you might coincidently meet someone who needs help and you might help them. you might go out of the way one day and see someone in need of help. It doesn't mean that God is calling you to do something. There will also be many instances where you take a different route and miss someone on your normal route who needs help. Many others instead of you will pass that needy person and some may help him while others ignore him. This is because this life is a test. When you help someone who needs help, God will be pleased. When you ignore someone, God will be displeased. However you won't be responsible regarding those whom you didn't know needed help. Your friend (or his family) didn't contact you to ask for help so you aren't responsible in this case. Stop placing too much emphasis on these sort of hunches (where you feel something has to be done) or else you'll drive yourself mad, literally. Satan takes advantage of these sort of things. When a person feels that they get information supernaturally, Satan takes advantage of this. It's possible that one day, in the early hours of the morning, you'll start feeling that someone needs help and you'll go there and you'll make a fool out of yourself if the hunch turns out wrong. These sort of "feelings" will keep repeating until you lose your mind. I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts you in the mental hospital!

IbnAbdulHakim
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Allah willed you to ignore it.

dont dwell too much on it, it could destroy you

assalamu alaikum

ardianto
05-31-2013, 10:37 AM
You will never be able to change what has passed, but you always have a chance to make a better future.

No matter how big your guilt for the death of your friend, you can never make him alive again. But, you always have a chance to prevent the desperate people end their life. You can do something for them.

Do it for your friend.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hulk
05-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Peace brother,

It is not really right to say something like "God told me to do it." Because the truth is we don't really know. What we do know is that God has given us guidance/tools on how to go about our daily life. So for example if we were to see someone who needed help and we helped him. It is not to say "God told me to help him and I did.", it is more like "I helped the person based on my understanding of the knowledge I have been given to strive to earn God's pleasure."

GodIsAll
05-31-2013, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
Look, God doesn't talk to anyone and He doesn't call people to do anything. We're in the world for a test, to see who does good and who doesn't. There are many instances where you might coincidently meet someone who needs help and you might help them. you might go out of the way one day and see someone in need of help. It doesn't mean that God is calling you to do something. There will also be many instances where you take a different route and miss someone on your normal route who needs help. Many others instead of you will pass that needy person and some may help him while others ignore him. This is because this life is a test. When you help someone who needs help, God will be pleased. When you ignore someone, God will be displeased. However you won't be responsible regarding those whom you didn't know needed help. Your friend (or his family) didn't contact you to ask for help so you aren't responsible in this case. Stop placing too much emphasis on these sort of hunches (where you feel something has to be done) or else you'll drive yourself mad, literally. Satan takes advantage of these sort of things. When a person feels that they get information supernaturally, Satan takes advantage of this. It's possible that one day, in the early hours of the morning, you'll start feeling that someone needs help and you'll go there and you'll make a fool out of yourself if the hunch turns out wrong. These sort of "feelings" will keep repeating until you lose your mind. I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts you in the mental hospital!
Do you believe that giant purple chicken wearing a cape I keep seeing in my yard has come to take me away, then?

~Zaria~
05-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Greetings,

I just wanted to share the following video that pertains to this topic: "Dont let hasanat (goodness) Pass You By"

Sheikh Anwar al Awalaki (ra) speaks about making use of the opportunities to do good, that Allah (subhanawataála) offers us.

We may never know what great blessings lie behind these opportunities - and by answering to them, it may be the means of opening our hearts, drawing nearer to Allah, and experiencing even greater bounties as a result.

"You never know what Allah azza wajjal is offering you......until you accept it."

I may be wrong, but I dont think that the OP is trying to imply that God is 'talking to him/ calling him to do something' directly (please correct me if I am).

I believe that everything in life happens for a reason.
Even the small, seemingly insignificant occurrences in your day.
Allah Taa'la in His wisdom, places different people and different events in our lives as a means of testing us.

But the person/ event in itself is not a test.
Instead, it is our reaction to it that is the test.

e.g
The beggar that approaches you everyday for food - is just another person going about his/her life.
But your reaction to him is the test - Do you look at him with a hint of scorn/ irritation in your eye? Do scold him away? Or do you offer him something, even if it is not alot?

or: how do you treat the cleaner that you pass by everyday? Do you greet him? Or do you ignore him/ not even acknowledge his presence because of his social standing?
He may be the opportunity of goodness that Allah has placed in your path for that particular day.

I think we often dont recognize these smaller occurrences in our lives - but within them, may be the means of opening other doors to goodness and gaining the pleasure of Allah.

GuestFellow
05-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Don't worry.

I ignore people too.

I cannot help others when I cannot even help myself.

Sorry...

GodIsAll
05-31-2013, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Greetings,

I just wanted to share the following video that pertains to this topic: "Dont let hasanat (goodness) Pass You By"

Sheikh Anwar al Awalaki (ra) speaks about making use of the opportunities to do good, that Allah (subhanawataála) offers us.

We may never know what great blessings lie behind these opportunities - and by answering to them, it may be the means of opening our hearts, drawing nearer to Allah, and experiencing even greater bounties as a result.

"You never know what Allah azza wajjal is offering you......until you accept it."

I may be wrong, but I dont think that the OP is trying to imply that God is 'talking to him/ calling him to do something' directly (please correct me if I am).

I believe that everything in life happens for a reason.
Even the small, seemingly insignificant occurrences in your day.
Allah Taa'la in His wisdom, places different people and different events in our lives as a means of testing us.

But the person/ event in itself is not a test.
Instead, it is our reaction to it that is the test.

e.g
The beggar that approaches you everyday for food - is just another person going about his/her life.
But your reaction to him is the test - Do you look at him with a hint of scorn/ irritation in your eye? Do scold him away? Or do you offer him something, even if it is not alot?

or: how do you treat the cleaner that you pass by everyday? Do you greet him? Or do you ignore him/ not even acknowledge his presence because of his social standing?
He may be the opportunity of goodness that Allah has placed in your path for that particular day.

I think we often dont recognize these smaller occurrences in our lives - but within them, may be the means of opening other doors to goodness and gaining the pleasure of Allah.
I think the problem may be in the way I am saying what I am trying trying to relate. Zaria is right. I by no means hear a voice or see a burning bush that is unconsumed by fire. At certain times, things and people enter my day where it is obvious to me they could use some help.

Sharia law states it is unlawful to let a neighbor go hungry. (Lovely, by the way). Now, here is how I may word that: A Muslim becomes aware his neighbor and family are without food. I would say (quite possibly incorrectly) that this Muslim has been "called" to do God's will. He submits to what God would have him do which is pleasing to God.

Am I skewed in my perception? All replies are most welcome, as always.

M.I.A.
06-01-2013, 12:15 AM
:exhausted

format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
Then it began: the overwhelming message that he needed some help
i think explaining that is gonna take you a while.

anyway,

i would not wish it upon anybody.

but imo, allah swt is the creator and the sustainer.

and i would not have it any other way.

the burden of responsibility is never easily carried, used and abused as the people see fit.

imagine actually having been a part of those last few days.

at most you could have ascertained what was keeping him down.. and keep him away from it.

maybe as a friend you already know... knew as part of your message.

(i didnt mean that as an insult or implied insult, simply putting it into context about how much you can know really. i mean i cant get over self importance and frankly it often quickly evaporates on my part.)

anyway, i would hate to be a part of death.

so maybe you should make that your path. in words and actions and movement.

...although that might not be what god wants.

but yeah, interesting username.

may allah swt have mercy upon us is this world and the hereafter.

i was almost a pharmacist once.. like handing out pills and watching people walk away changes things.

(they really are going to hate me for thinking that, maybe i have it all wrong and thats the only thing that keeps people up sometimes. take your pick.)

~Zaria~
06-01-2013, 07:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
I think the problem may be in the way I am saying what I am trying trying to relate. Zaria is right. I by no means hear a voice or see a burning bush that is unconsumed by fire. At certain times, things and people enter my day where it is obvious to me they could use some help.

Sharia law states it is unlawful to let a neighbor go hungry. (Lovely, by the way). Now, here is how I may word that: A Muslim becomes aware his neighbor and family are without food. I would say (quite possibly incorrectly) that this Muslim has been "called" to do God's will. He submits to what God would have him do which is pleasing to God.

Am I skewed in my perception? All replies are most welcome, as always.

By making use of the word 'call' could be interpreted/ lead others to believe that a person was directly instructed by Allah (subhanawatáala) or 'led towards' the performance of a particular action.

Instead, in these cases, Allah Taa'la has placed opportunities in your path to do good.
Whether or not we take up that opportunity is our choice.
So, from this point of view, it is not a 'calling' as such, but rather making a choice to do the right thing.

Having said this, I kind of understand why you may be tempted to feel in the above manner.

Even as muslims, we may sometimes get the feeling that we, specifically, were meant to be at an exact place, at an exact time - by the will of Allah.
Sometimes people may even tell us, e.g. "I am so glad to have met you.....it feels that God has sent you, specifically to see me today."

Indeed, whatever happens is by the plan and decree of Allah.
Still, we should try to not view these occurrences in the above manner, as it opens the doors of pride and a sense of importance to enter our hearts.
We may feel that "I am someone 'special', whom Allah has 'chosen' for this particular task".

We should always bear in mind that we are only meager slaves/ servants of Allah.
And the fact that we may chose to do the correct thing in life, is ONLY as a result of Allah (subhanawataála)'s mercy and guidance.
In the very same way that He has guided us towards obeying His commands, in the same manner, He could turn our hearts away - should we not recognize this, appreciate it and remain humble in all that we do.

God bless

GodIsAll
06-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Thank you, Zaria. I can always count on you to explain these types of things to me. I feel that you understand that I am learning about Islam and that my intentions are always noble here. Pardon my ignorance, for it is that aspect of my descriptions as that is wholly the reason I have upset some on here. Be assured, it was never malice.

Thank you all for alleviating my ignorance regarding this Islamic philosophy. I will contemplate what you've said about it. Be assured, though, I will not be sharing any more stories about being lead to do things!

glo
06-01-2013, 08:57 AM
I can understand that there is some concern about 'hearing the voice of God'. And enough people have done seriously crazy things because 'God told them to'.

The Christian perspective would be that when you feel prompted by God to do or say something, you need to discern whether it is really from God and whether it is from yourself or somebody else.
Firstly, need to weigh it up against God's teachings. Is it in line with what scripture teaches? (If it is not, then it cannot be from God).
Secondly, you may need to run it by another person who has wisdom and understanding, to see what they think.
Thirdly, you may need to pray and seek God's guidance more to be sure.

I think it is quite clear that if you think you hear God say "Go and beat your neighbour to a pulp", you can safely assume that that's NOT God speaking ...
But I don;t think that's what GodIsAll is speaking about here. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!