/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Proud of your Islamic achievements ?

QueenofHerts
06-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Is it wrong to tell people of your Islamic achievements for example if you have memorised something, and you share with the family because you are happy.

Are you allowed, or could it be seen as boasting? and it would be better to keep this to yourself?imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
06-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Are you? Hard question to answer. It boils down to intentions at the end of the day. Best reason is to do it for Allah. But personally, sharing your new accomplishment with your family cannot really be counted as being boastful unless that was the intention.:p

QueenofHerts
06-11-2013, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Are you? Hard question to answer. It boils down to intentions at the end of the day. Best reason is to do it for Allah. But personally, sharing your new accomplishment with your family cannot really be counted as being boastful unless that was the intention.:p
thanks

glo
06-11-2013, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
It boils down to intentions at the end of the day. Best reason is to do it for Allah. But personally, sharing your new accomplishment with your family cannot really be counted as being boastful unless that was the intention.
I guess it could be an encouragement and an inspiration to others to try harder themselves.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ahmad H
06-11-2013, 10:10 PM
You are afraid of showing off. I have had the same problem recently. I read in Sunan An Nasa'i a Hadith that stated that the Holy Prophet (saw) had once said that he was afraid of something for the Muslims much more than the Dajjal, and that was showing off in prayers. So you are right to be on edge about this. As you should be since the only real way to not worry about this is doing good deeds in secret. When you do something in public, don't do it to show off, but do it to demonstrate a good deed to others so that they follow and do the same as well. In this respect you can do a good deed in public and it would not be counted as showing off. This is why the Holy Prophet (saw) did things publicly. He was obviously not a show-off. He was a Prophet of God who was the greatest example for men.

So if you worry about showing off by telling others of something you did, then gear yourself towards saying those things by trying to get your family members to do the same. If you tell them you did something in order to be praised for it, then it is showing off. If you told them about it in order to demonstrate a good deed that they should do as well, then there is no harm in that. But don't let the feelings of wanting to be praised be in you while doing so. Because that could still happen.

In the end, always be cautious of your own behavior. Your being cautious of it is a good sign that you fear Allah. So i say keep up the caution. It is better to be on edge than to be lax about something. You keep yourself from falling into error easily that way.

crimsontide06
06-11-2013, 10:35 PM
When I have successfully prayed all 5 prayers for a couple of days in a row, I tell someone, because I'm happy of it...then I fall off and get messed up and quit.... imsad Same with eating right, exercising..etc.

If I just do it, I'm fine. The moment I tell someone about it, I mess up...Which is why I prefer to pray alone. I get distracted by thinking someone is watching me.

Hulk
06-12-2013, 01:07 AM
If you have good news share it with your family. :)

The important thing is that you do not forget Who the true credit is due to, as well as your intention behind setting out to do what you accomplished.
If you feel that the praise you receive will affect your sincerity and humility then maybe you can refrain.

Allahu alam

Woodrow
06-12-2013, 05:20 AM
:sl:

As has been already said, intention makes a difference as to if it is sharing or if it is boasting. There is often good in sharing, all things for many reasons, it opens us up for scrutiny by others and gives people a reason to correct us if we are in error. We can be an example and a resource for others trying to accomplish the same things.

If In-sha-Allah one day I achieve my goal of memorizing the Qur'an I will share it immediately, simply to give others hope they can do the same. I guess it can be said that my real goal is not to memorize the Qur'an but to be used as a tool to encourage people to at least attempt to do so.

Perhaps all I will ever achieve is to be able to state I am trying my best to be Hafiz and any one can at least try. Even if we do not succeed, there is success in just making the effort and to not stop trying. The only failure in life is to stop trying.

It is good to share our accomplishments, even small ones as they may encourage others to do much better than what we have done. I do not want people to do the things I have done, I want them to have the desire to do much more and actually know they can do much more than anything I have done.

So be proud of your accomplishments, but do so with the intent to encourage others to do more.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!