/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My name is Yahya - a convert

yahyaabuyousuf
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Revert vs Convert

Zaid Shakir said "We fail to see Islam as a religion, and in the 20th century, we have a lot of these semantic gymnastics. So we say, for example, we don't convert to Islam, we revert to Islam, without really thinking about what we are saying. You revert, or something reverts back usually to a previous known state unconsciously. So we say, "The child reverted back to his bad habits", so the child isn't conscious of what he's doing or what she's doing. Whereas conversion involves a conscious decision. This person converted to Communism, he or she studied it and then made a conscious decision to embrace it. So I came here and I was doing an interview, and the interviewer said "When did you revert to Islam?", I said "I never reverted to Islam, I converted to Islam, I made a conscious decision to become a Muslim and I didn't unconsciously revert back to a state that's not even known to me." How can you revert back to something you don't know. A person might say "Every newborn is born in a natural Islamic state". That might be true but he or she doesn't know that, isn't conscious of that. So the parents made that child a Jew, Christian or a Muslim, that's what they are conscious of. So they reverted back to that? So we get into these kind of semantic things that are designed to manifest our sophistication, but they are only making a mess for ourselves individually and collectively"

My Comment:

This is an English language discussion, nothing to do with Islamic culture. As English is a very loose language, allowing constant changes, and we are not talking about a specific historical period in which a precise understanding should be sought, then we should try to speak in the vernacular of the people we are addressing, as we are attempting to be understood. The semantic gymnastics quote is correct, as often this topic is merely a curiosity - far from the attitude of a serious Muslim - who does not waste time with silly semantic curiosities. The term convert is not incorrect, but then the term revert is not incorrect either, if it is understood that we are returning to the fitrah when we embrace Islam. The Islamic discussion in all of this is whether Muslims are said to be on the fitrah or not? If they are, then revert is correct to use.
In any case, if I sense that the person I'm talking to has a bee in his bonnet and is about to get all obsessive about convert/revert, then I'll just use the term revert to avoid the time-wasting conversation, then we can talk about something that is important - like the increase of Islamic knowledge, or the problems of people today etc.
My default position is that I am a convert, as I know very well that I have converted from one belief to another. Every revert is a convert, but not every convert is a revert.
Some dictionary definitions:
  • To return to a former condition, practice, subject, or belief.
  • to go back to a former practice, condition, belief, etc.
  • (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) a person who, having been converted, has returned to his former beliefs or Church [from Latin revertere to return, from re- + vertere to turn] to return to a former habit, practice, belief, condition, etc.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
06-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Um... Salaam.

Welcome to our forums.:welcome:

yahyaabuyousuf
06-12-2013, 01:35 PM
As-Salamu alaikum wa Rahmat-Ullah,
Sorry. I forgot to start with that.

Muhammad
06-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Jazakallahu khayran for that perspective. I agree, it's not worth getting bogged down with the semantics, there are far more important things to focus on.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
06-12-2013, 02:10 PM
:sl:

Welcome to the forum.

I agree semantics are not important enough to get bogged down in. There are much more important things we face in this De'en

greenhill
06-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Salaam.

Glad we got that cleared up. :D Convert you are!

Welcome to the forum. Have a fruitful stay

sister herb
06-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Salam alaykum

Welcome to forum.

Periwinkle18
06-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Assalam o alikum

:welcome: to the forum hope u like it here n learn lots n lots inshaAllah.

Muhaba
06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I never liked the word revert. I liked the sound of convert better. But I think a lot of new Muslims prefer revert probably because they feel bad about their kufr state. I guess a person can use whatever term they prefer.

Welcome to the board and glad that you reverted.

Muslim Woman
06-12-2013, 04:47 PM
:sl:

bro , Welcome to Islam . Welcome here.

UmmuShaheed
06-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Asalamu Alaykum
Welcome to both:)
May your time spent here be beneficial, and
May Allah increase your knowledge and ours.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!