/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How many here commute on motorbikes?

greenhill
06-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I live in the city. After many years driving and being caught in jams and forever looking for parking spaces, my wife suggested to get a bike.

I've never looked back. Driving for 26 years and riding 18 years. I wished I rode earlier but my dad was strictly against it and was so ingrained that I never considered it even after he died and I got married. It needed outside influence that never knew my dad.

I now save anywhere between 1 hour to 4 hours a day being caught in traffic and 70% fuel and 90% parking. Only 2 downsides. The risk and the rain. At least with rain, there is the raincoat. Takes a couple of minutes to don. But for a car the traffic will be heavier and the bikes can still weave their way through.

The risk- I have ridden enough to know the risks. But not acquiring the skill required is the biggest risk equal only to not being very aware at all times. One good riding clinic session will turn your riding experience upside down! Throw away the concept learnt from riding the bicycle. Seriously.

Over the past year or so I began to recite stuff in my helmet, tasbih.. I enjoy it, helps me remain focus on the road and become tranquil. Of course having safety gear should be a must.

Salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
06-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Pedal bicycle for me. :)

~Zaria~
06-12-2013, 04:58 PM
:salam:

In my country, cars are the primary means of transport for a large number of people.
We have a very poor public transport system here, and unlike Europe, cycling is almost non-existent (may explain our rising obesity rates as well :/ )

As a result, traffic (esp on certain free-ways) can take hours away from a persons day.
I remember the days when I was studying+working+trying to get home in time to prepare dinner......but stuck for hours in traffic..... it can really add to ones stress.
Alhamdulillah, I now live much closer to work.

Motor-bikes are now seen more frequently here (as a result of the traffic).
However, we do not have designated cycling/ motor-bike lanes - and so, as you mention, safety whilst weaving between traffic is a big concern.

The following 'Think Bike' campaign was initiated in my country to create awareness of motor-cyclists and safe riding habits: http://thinkbike.co.za/2012/

I think a lot of accidents can be prevented, in shaa Allah, if riders avoided speeding, esp when in heavy traffic.
Ive seen bikers get knocked down as a result of someone over-taking/ changing lanes, and not noticing the cyclist in time.

I cant imagine myself on a bike (Im not really able to balance myself on 2 wheels :hiding:)
But I often wonder about using a scooter, such as this :p

th?idH4617425917643460&amppid151 -

or one that is covered (for rainy days):

I think I will look really weird using one of these (since its not common to see women on scooters here - esp muslim women)......so I guess I will be using a car for a lot longer in shaa Allah : )

Was salaam

greenhill
06-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Just waaaaaaay too hot to do that (pedal power) here. :phew Be all sweaty and stinky...:exhausted

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
I reckon for you Zaria, the blue model (for rainy days) but it won't really help except for rain coming straight at you. But even without rain, it blocks out the wind, or road dirt, sand etc from directly hitting you. Feet inside keeps them dry when ride through puddles, PLUS it is a trike like thing. Don't even have to balance the bike! :D Perfectly suited, start a new trend:p

~Zaria~
06-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Maybe I should just wait for this model :P

The self balancing, fully enclosed electric motorcycle: http://thekneeslider.com/lit-motors-...ic-motorcycle/

For glo (on those rainy days) : )

th?idH4933127451641381&amppid151 -

ardianto
06-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Two of several types of motorbike I've ever ridden in race. :)

Just like bro greenhill, my father forbade me to ride motorcycle on the road/street due to risk of accident. But he allowed me to ride in closed track. So I rode in motocross/off-road racing since I was 14 until stopped by accident prior to my 19th birthday.

Then after my father passed away I started to ride motorbike on the street. Even during 2001-2002 I rode motorbike almost everyday because I worked as salesman who must traveling around the city.

As an ex-racer, of course my riding skill is above the average. I know how the right technique to ride motorbike in safety riding. But I still aware when I ride motorbike on the road/street. Risk of riding motorbike on the road is far bigger than ride motorbike in motocross track.

My advice to those who commute on motorbike:

- Always wear your safety gear.

- Make sure your motorbike is always in good condition.

- Always ride on your lane.

- Note the path you're passing through. a hole, oil spill, or sand that are in asphalt can cause accidents.

- Always notice other vehicles. You can ride safely, but other people may cause accident that involve you because their carelessly.

- Do not ride motorbike in front of car. Ride your motorbike on the very edge of the road and let cars pass in the middle lane of the road.

- You may have motorcyclist raincoat. But if you are not really 'chased by the time' it's better if you don't ride motorbikes under the rain. Wait until the rain stops or subsides

- Road is not a race track. Never imitate what the racer did on race track. Riding technique on race track is very different than riding technique on the public road.

By the way, my favorite motorbike for commute is matic scooter.

ardianto
06-17-2013, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Pedal bicycle for me. :)
In Shaa Allah, in the next few days I will buy a mountain bicycle. :D

glo
06-17-2013, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
In Shaa Allah, in the next few days I will buy a mountain bicycle. :D
What kind of country side do you live in, ardianto?

ardianto
06-17-2013, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
What kind of country side do you live in, ardianto?
I live in big city!

But I like mountain bicycle because it's designed for dirt track. I've ever had one but deprived by thugs when it borrowed by my nephew. I usually rode it to the outskirts of town that is still a lot of dirt road. I prefer to ride bicycle on off-road dirt track than road track.

greenhill
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
mmmm the RM series.... that was the early 80's ?

ardianto
06-18-2013, 07:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
mmmm the RM series.... that was the early 80's ?
I rode 81 model RM125X (like in picture) and 79 model RM100N (not 81 model like in picture, just look like). I still rode my RM125X until last race in 86 and it became the oldest bike in it class. While the RM100 belong to the team and I rode it in modified dual purpose bike class, compete with fully modified suzuki TS or yamaha DT that used RM or YZ parts. I raced since Nov 81 until mid of 86.

Some of my friends are still race now in Veteran class. Actually, I've ever planned to race again, but I always prohibited. First, by the first girl who I wanted to marry. Then, by my wife.

Now, although there's no wife who can prohibit me, I don't want to back to race track again. I have children and I bear responsibility to raise them.

In my career as a racer I've experienced a number of accidents. Also I've seen a racer who killed on race track. He made a mistake in jump, thrown to air and landed vertically with head in downside. I saw when his neck flexed, and when he rescued, so obviously his neck had been broken. Then I heard he's died. It's happened in Cikampek, year 83. The race where I got bad accident too.

Well, now I can't take a risk again. If something bad happen to me, how about my children?.

Now I don't have motorbike, but I often borrow my employees motorbikes like when I need to go to shop. Since few months ago I began to thinking to ride bicycle because it must be healthier that ride motorbike. But I was busy in take care my wife.

In Shaa Allah, I will buy bicycle, so I can also do sport for my health. Don't worry, I will ride it safely.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!