/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Curious Mormon

CleansingWater
06-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Hey everyone!

I've been interested in Islam for some time, though I've only recently begun to really learn about it. I've watched a few documentaries (the one following pilgrims on Hajj was very interesting and moving), and a few basic books (aka the Idiot's and Dummies books). I'm trying to find a good Quran English translation (with Arabic) so I can finally read it for myself.

I guess overtime, I've become disillusioned with Mormonism, finding it and the Book of Mormon to be 19th century inventions. I appreciate the lifestyle and direction it has provided me, but I feel like I'm looking for something "more". There are a few similarities between Islam and Mormonism, which is what started my interest.

I think the main stumbling block right now is going from believing that Jesus is Divine/God, and that it is only through His sacrifice that we can receive forgivness of sins and eternal life. I was reading in the Idiot's Guide to Islam, I think, and I read how Islam doesn't require God to have taken on human form and to have suffered and died so that we can be forgiven of our sins. God is all powerful, and we can just pray directly to Him and ask for forgiveness, without the need for someone, let alone God, having to have died for us. I had a "mind blown" moment when I read that, because I never really understood why such a sacrifice would be needed by God so that we can be forgiven and receive eternal life. Now, I haven't completely given up on that, but that's how I'm thinking now. Islam seems to make so much more sense of the difficulties many have with Christianity.

Anyway, thanks for reading, I look forward to learning more about Islam!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MustafaMc
06-13-2013, 02:11 AM
Welcome to the forum. One of the translations of the Qur'an that I like is the one by Saheeh International followed by the one by Abdel Haleem. Both of these are available as Kindle books at Amazon. The question you asked about forgiveness is touched upon by a thread I started "Forgiveness vs Atonement" that you can search for.

CleansingWater
06-13-2013, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Welcome to the forum. One of the translations of the Qur'an that I like is the one by Sahaah International followed by the one by Abdel Haleem. Both of these are available as Kindle books at Amazon. The question you asked about forgiveness is touched upon by a thread I started "Forgiveness vs Atonement" that you can search for.
Thank you, I'll look into both.

Woodrow
06-13-2013, 02:48 AM
First things first

Welcome to the forum a pleasure to have you here.

Sabr (Patience) is very often the key to opening many doors. Answers do not always come quickly, we also have to understand that many times we may not initially see any answers,

In spite of all things the best guide you can have is to pray in your own words for Allaah(swt) to guide you. He will lead those willing to be led.

Next question all things. Remember all humans that give you advice are Human and are subject to error. Do not believe anything from any Human unless you have found reason to believe they are correct.

You are a seeker and as a seeker look at all things with an open mind and heart and never be afraid to ask question.

May your desire to learn bring you to happiness and peace of mind.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
06-13-2013, 02:54 AM
Peace to you.

format_quote Originally Posted by CleansingWater
I think the main stumbling block right now is going from believing that Jesus is Divine/God, and that it is only through His sacrifice that we can receive forgivness of sins and eternal life.
This is something some people just accept and some people cannot accept. Without self realisation that it does not make sense to have someone else sacrificed for all to be forgiven (if follow the faith) and receive eternal life, it is a very hard prospect to convince people that it simply isn't so. It is a start that you have at least recognise this.

I was reading in the Idiot's Guide to Islam, I think, and I read how Islam doesn't require God to have taken on human form and to have suffered and died so that we can be forgiven of our sins. God is all powerful, and we can just pray directly to Him and ask for forgiveness, without the need for someone, let alone God, having to have died for us. I had a "mind blown" moment when I read that, because I never really understood why such a sacrifice would be needed by God so that we can be forgiven and receive eternal life. Now, I haven't completely given up on that, but that's how I'm thinking now. Islam seems to make so much more sense of the difficulties many have with Christianity.
I read somewhere in this forum of someone asking about this book. No one had any answers. To have a 'mind blown' moment from 'An Idiot's Guide to Islam' is a vey good feedback indeed!

Islam is complete. Read and study it, don't pay too much attention to mainstream media and you will find more fulfilling answers.

CleansingWater
06-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks all for the posts. I just purchased a hardcopy of "The Qur'an: English Translation and Parallel Arabic Text" by Abdel Haleem. Definitely excited to see what the Qur'an is all about.

Also, I read the thread on Forgiveness vs Atonement, and found it helpful. It's very interesting to me that Islam believes in the Adam and Eve events, yet says that God forgave them of their sin, and no sin or guilt was passed along to the rest of humanity (though wouldn't it be safe to say that because of them, death entered the world?), and that there is no need for God to have become man and suffered and died for us so that we can receive forgiveness. Very interesting, I'll have to look into this concept more (especially how the "Fall" is understood in Islam (like its relationship with sin and death in the world).

Thanks again, I'm definitely excited to get my copy of the Qu'ran tomorrow.

CleansingWater
06-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Question: does anyone know a good resource (article, book, etc) that gives an Islamic perspective on Christianity, or at least specifically the issue of sin and atonement? I feel like in the Old Testament, there is a lot of talk of blood sacrifice for sins, and now Christians claim that Christ came to fulfill all of that with His sacrifice, so I'd be interested in reading how the Muslim view on sin and atonement (or the view that vicarious atonement isn't needed) fits with what the ancient Jews did with blood sacrifice to God. I appreciate the Muslim view on atonement, and that it's derived from the Qur'an, but I guess I'm just trying to understand how it fits with previous Jewish practices (or maybe that just leads to the question of how Islam generally views Judaism and its beliefs and practices, anciently and modern).

Muslim Woman
06-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Hello

Welcome here . May Allah helps u to find the Truth.

pl. start thread in general section . This section is not for discussion . Thanks.

CleansingWater
06-13-2013, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Hello

Welcome here . May Allah helps u to find the Truth.

pl. start thread in general section . This section is not for discussion . Thanks.
Ok will do, thanks!

MustafaMc
06-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Thank you, I'll look into both.
Sorry, but I had a spelling error. It is "Saheeh International." I just got my copy of it today. I am about halfway through the translation you ordered.

MustafaMc
06-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Question: does anyone know a good resource (article, book, etc) that gives an Islamic perspective on Christianity, or at least specifically the issue of sin and atonement?
A book that I like is "MisGod'ed" by Dr. Laurence Brown. http://www.amazon.com/MisGoded-Guida...words=misgoded

Table of contents:
Part III
Unitarians vs. Trinitarians
Jesus Christ
Word of God
Messiah (Christ)
Virgin Birth
Jesus Begotten?
Jesus Christ: Son of God?
The Trinity
Divinity of Jesus? An Inquiry
Divinity of Jesus? The 'Evidence'
Holy Spirit
Crucifixion
Lamb of God
Original Sin
Atonement
Return of Jesus

faithandpeace
06-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Salaam/Peace,

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask any questions you may have and insha'Allah (God-willing) knowledgable members here will be sure to answer them. The Qur'an translation I own and find very helpful is by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.

CleansingWater
06-14-2013, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
A book that I like is "MisGod'ed" by Dr. Laurence Brown.
Table of contents:
Part III
Unitarians vs. Trinitarians
Jesus Christ
Word of God
Messiah (Christ)
Virgin Birth
Jesus Begotten?
Jesus Christ: Son of God?
The Trinity
Divinity of Jesus? An Inquiry
Divinity of Jesus? The 'Evidence'
Holy Spirit
Crucifixion
Lamb of God
Original Sin
Atonement
Return of Jesus
Thanks! That looks like just what I need. I bought that and "God'ed" for Kindle. Looks like with those two, plus my Qur'an that should be arriving today, I have a lot to read to help me with this journey!

Muhammad
06-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Greetings CleansingWater,

If you manage to get through all that reading, there are some online books available in case any interest you:

http://www.kalamullah.com/non-muslims.html

We also have an index of threads and here are some pertaining to comparative discussions between Islam and other religions (mainly Christianity):
http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...ml#post1542595

CleansingWater
06-14-2013, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Greetings CleansingWater,

If you manage to get through all that reading, there are some online books available in case any interest you:

We also have an index of threads and here are some pertaining to comparative discussions between Islam and other religions (mainly Christianity):
Thank you! There definitely is a ton of info on this forum, I'm glad I chose this one to join :)

I don't want to get overwhelmed, so I'm going to focus on reading MisGod'ed and God'ed (they seem to be exactly what I need coming from my perspective and faith) and the Qur'an. I already read most of the Complete Idiot's Guide to Islam, which is what caused me to start posting here. After all that, I'll take a look at the online books!

Signor
06-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Hola Mr CleanisngWater

Welcome to IB Forum,We will try to answer and help with the best of our abilities

Your user nick and topic name brought two questions in my mind:

Does a Mormon church also have a special allocated authority of exorcism just like Catholicism?

The only thing I know about Mormonism is Mormon Church’s law of health and proper diet,Since you were a Mormon does the food code of No Tobacco,No Alcohol, No Illegal drugs and No Coffee and tea still applies to this date?The reason I asked is If You become a Muslim(If Allah guides you to this path),the first three will remain the same so it will be very easy for you to follow it.

See you around

CleansingWater
06-14-2013, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Signor
Hola Mr CleanisngWater

Welcome to IB Forum,We will try to answer and help with the best of our abilities

Your user nick and topic name brought two questions in my mind:

Does a Mormon church also have a special allocated authority of exorcism just like Catholicism?
No, not really. In the Mormon Church ("The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"), an "exorcism" would be carried out by any Elder "Melchizedek Priesthood" holder ("holder" is Mormon-speak for someone ordained to that priesthood) asking the demon to leave the individual in the name of Jesus Christ and by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood. It would be similar to other blessings, nothing fancy or special like in Catholicism with holy water, specially colored robes, etc.

The only thing I know about Mormonism isMormon Church’s law of health and proper diet,Since you were a Mormon does the food code of No Tobacco,No Alcohol, No Illegal drugs and No Coffee and tea still applies to this date?The reason I asked is If You become a Muslim(If Allah guides you to this path),the first three will remain the same so it will be very easy for you to follow it.

See you around
Yes, I still follow that, so that wouldn't be a problem if I become a Muslim :).

Muhammad
06-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Thank you! There definitely is a ton of info on this forum, I'm glad I chose this one to join :)

I don't want to get overwhelmed, so I'm going to focus on reading MisGod'ed and God'ed (they seem to be exactly what I need coming from my perspective and faith) and the Qur'an. I already read most of the Complete Idiot's Guide to Islam, which is what caused me to start posting here. After all that, I'll take a look at the online books!
Glad to be of help. I fully agree, don't overwhelm yourself. It is good that you have decided to read the Qur'an as a priority - take your time in reading this as it plays such a central role in Islam. Sorry to bombard you with all these links (hopefully this will be the last time), but here's a few threads for someone new to the Qur'an, and you may find various other resources that serve the same purpose:

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...christian.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...ecitation.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...slim-life.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!