/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Could I get your opinion? Thank you very much!

laspositas
06-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Hello, my name is Bruce Johnson. I am a college student and currently am enrolled in a psychology class. We have been given an assignment and I am doing research on the following subject:

“How have different religions changed from the land of origin and those practicing in America.” Your forum sounds like it would be a perfect place to request this type of information.

Some observed differences may be:
Hours of observation, prayer, etc.
Days of the week
In church differences structure, layout and practice
Foods
Strictness
Alcohol consumption
If you know why the changes occured, please note those as well.

Some examples might be that there is a more lax diet. This could be due to the fact that America processes foods differently. Or lamb, pork or beef are consumed and sometimes are hard to avoid etc.
Some practices may be different due to the fact the there is only one nationally recognized belief in a given country, and therefore every neighborhood has a church/place of worship, where in America, one may haveto go 50 miles to the closest place of worship, and therefore you would not go as often. Or that you have to be more discreet and not as open, therefore you may have to change some practice.
Or some practice in the place of origin is considered illegal or frowned upon.

These are just a few samples of potential differences.

Please indicate if your experiances are for North America or in South America

Thank you for your sharing,
Very respectfully,
Bruce

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
06-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Salaam.

Welcome to our forums. Why not interview Muslim boys and ask these question to them?

Because...

format_quote Originally Posted by laspositas
How have different religions changed from the land oforigin and those practicing in America.
Not all of us live in United States.

Iceee
06-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Hours of observation, prayer, etc.
It's always been five mandatory prayers; Fajr, Zuhr, Asr, Magrib, and Isha. The times vary from city to city. Country to country etc.

Days of the week
We are to pray everyday. Friday is a special day however, look online for more details for the importance of "Friday" in Islam.

In church differences structure, layout and practice
Muslims can choose to pray either at home or at the masjid if possible. For me, I make sure all distractions are off (T.V, computer, homework) and there shouldn't be any pictures of human beings' face where you pray or in your home. The mosque I attend is really small, just a wudu area, green carpet and two small areas to pray.

Alcohol consumption
“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansaab, and Al-Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful”
[al-Maa’idah 5:90]

Pork is forbidden to consume.
Wudu is required before prayer.
Zina (pre-marital sex, having relationship with opposite gender, and even looking at the opposite gender in a desirable way) is forbidden.

Food Muslims eat varies, I love Chicken Biryani, samosas, but I also like Western Society foods such at the hot-dogs and burgers.

When I walk to school, I pass two churches and two mosques. Very multi-cultural here in Toronto Canada.

These are just what I can think of at the top of my mind.

greenhill
07-06-2013, 04:55 PM
“How have different religions changed from the land of origin and those practicing in America.”
Would like to help, but I don't live anywhere near America:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Icy Maiden
07-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Right, we can't be of any help if we don't live in America. Maybe someone can help you soon.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!