/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is being too shy to perform acts of worship in front of others, Pride?

Fainoz
07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
when I read this ayah from surah Sajdah "only those who believe in our Ayat (clear signs) who when they are reminded of them fall down and prostrate, and glorify the praises of their Lord and they are not proud" (32:15)

It made me think, because I have always kind of been embarrassed to do religious things around my family because I grew up in a family where people don't generally get mushy or say mushy things because it gets awkward. I don't know how it started but It's a family trait.

Is this pride? and how do I overcome it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
07-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Just do it, I suppose.... Overcoming distinct family practices is rather awkward as you have correctly put it. My dad was similar. Hardly ever showing his emotions. His belief, boys don't cry and no telling tales! However, into my teens, I decided to show some of my emotions, like hugging him (I could feel him very stiff when I do this) and occasionally, I do give him a kiss. I don't care if it makes him feel awkward as he is my only dad! I guess this has a lot to do with his British upbringing.

He has passed away 20 years ago and I am glad I got over the shyness.

Fainoz
07-01-2013, 11:09 AM
You're right, but the awkwardness is just too much to bear. I wish I weren't such a coward.

greenhill
07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Change starts with you. Make a stand and do it. You can make an open declaration to everybody, say, during family dinner that as from tonight, you are going to give everyone a goodnight hug and kiss and do it. The awkwardness will soon disappear, in syaa Allah.

Plus, you're a girl and it is acceptable to be more 'emotional'. Being a guy made it really difficult for me but I knew I had to start it. Regretting that I did not do it later would be far worse.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ion that dinar
07-02-2013, 02:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevermind
when I read this ayah from surah Sajdah "only those who believe in our Ayat (clear signs) who when they are reminded of them fall down and prostrate, and glorify the praises of their Lord and they are not proud" (32:15)
It made me think, because I have always kind of been embarrassed to do religious things around my family because I grew up in a family where people don't generally get mushy or say mushy things because it gets awkward. I don't know how it started but It's a family trait.
Is this pride? and how do I overcome it?
Sellam aleykum. reminding someone of a sign is not worshipping, but a very good deed.. are you shy of doing that? as far as falling down and prostrating upon hearing the signs, it seems that what's meant is those in general who pray o.o and not prostrating every time someone mentions Almighty God. I believe that ayah is to make clear that believing is not just saying "I'm muslim" but I strongly believe your relationship with Almighty God can be very private, you don't ever have to publicise any of your worshipping acts in order to be a better muslims. To me it is the best to praise Almighty Allah silently, I really don't like when someone says praises randomly around me it makes me feel like they're talking over me that's probably what makes you shy.. just remember that no one is better than you if they praise out loud, so it is not pride, it is the opposite.. it would be pride if saying praises made you not shy. peace!

Fainoz
07-02-2013, 07:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ion that dinar
Sellam aleykum. reminding someone of a sign is not worshipping, but a very good deed.. are you shy of doing that? as far as falling down and prostrating upon hearing the signs, it seems that what's meant is those in general who pray o.o and not prostrating every time someone mentions Almighty God. I believe that ayah is to make clear that believing is not just saying "I'm muslim" but I strongly believe your relationship with Almighty God can be very private, you don't ever have to publicise any of your worshipping acts in order to be a better muslims. To me it is the best to praise Almighty Allah silently, I really don't like when someone says praises randomly around me it makes me feel like they're talking over me that's probably what makes you shy.. just remember that no one is better than you if they praise out loud, so it is not pride, it is the opposite.. it would be pride if saying praises made you not shy. peace!

I know that you don't have to make sajdah every time that you hear the Quran, but there are certain parts in which you prostrate, ( e.g., Maryam, Sajdah, Iqra) after Allah mentions it. I feel kind of awkward just in the middle of reading Quran to just prostrate myself in front of other, but when I am alone it feels natural to me. Also I feel weird saying things like "May Allah have mercy on us all" Because it is not the kind of things I usually say. (I wasn't really religious for most of my life) But I have no problem saying this in my head, or quietly to myself.

It's kind of weird and I don't think I can explain it well, but part of me feels like the person might be thinking I am trying to upstage them somehow or I am making them feel awkward because if my brother did something like that tomorrow I would look at him strange.

Again I only feel this way in front of my family.

Born_Believer
07-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I totally understand nevermind, my family is pretty much the same and since I'm a guy there's less chance of me to express my emotions, not that I'm a particularly emotional guy to be honest. In terms of religion and the example you gave you performing sajdah during certain Quranic verses, you don't have to do it in front of everyone, just go into a separate room.

Just to answer your original question, I don't think it is pride, with some people it may be but the fact that you are feeling this way and want to improve yourself, that is the complete opposite of pride.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!