جوري
07-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
abcdcool2012
07-02-2013, 07:10 PM
^o) :omg:

sister herb
07-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I knew that the orthodox jew women use some kind of scarf but niqaab and burkha too?

glo
07-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Interesting. I found some more information about this group of these orthodox Jews, called the Haredis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi_burqa_sect

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
07-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks about information, glo.

sister herb
07-02-2013, 08:28 PM
By the way, the other idea just came to my mind: what if those "haredi" women would live in France and officers there ask them to not cover? How loudly Jews would shout:

ANTISEMITISM!!!!!

:D

glo
07-02-2013, 08:29 PM
How do you feel about non-Muslims wearing hijab or niqab? Do you think it's a good thing or not?

glo
07-02-2013, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
By the way, the other idea just came to my mind: what if those "haredi" women would live in France and officers there ask them to not cover? How loudly Jews would shout:

ANTISEMITISM!!!!!

:D
That would be an interesting social experiment. :D

Perhaps women from all religions and none should start wearing the veil - just to confuse the authorities and to make a point.

sister herb
07-02-2013, 08:33 PM
^^ I think it is they matter as they think it belongs to they religion/habits.

In traditional rural culture in my country using scarf (like hijab) for women was normal still at the beginning of the 1900 century.

crimsontide06
07-02-2013, 08:53 PM
That awkward moment when the Bible says for women to cover their head too but this gets ignored simply because they don't want to do it...

Nun: "coughs"
Me: Oh sorry, well, almost all don't want to...

Iceee
07-02-2013, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
Bible says for women to cover their head
So many different bibles and different interpretations from several people, can't find where it says the above ^^^.

I had always thought that when a woman wears a niqab or hijab, that she is of Islamic faith. Now I don't know what to believe.^o)

crimsontide06
07-02-2013, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
So many different bibles and different interpretations from several people, can't find where it says the above ^^^.

I had always thought that when a woman wears a niqab or hijab, that she is of Islamic faith. Now I don't know what to believe.

http://afriendforyou.wordpress.com/2...-christianity/

glo
07-03-2013, 06:09 AM
I had always thought that when a woman wears a niqab or hijab, that she is of Islamic faith. Now I don't know what to believe.
That's what I mean, really.

We tend to assume that women in hijab or niqab are Muslimahs. But if they can be adherents of other religions too and we cannot be sure that they are following Islam - is that a good thing or a bad thing (from your perspective)?

Iceee
07-03-2013, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
is that a good thing or a bad thing (from your perspective)?
I don't talk or look at non-mahram girls, so I don''t personally have an opinion on how it effects me.

But I can see some things going bad, such as one muslim sister and one Jewish sister wearing similar to above picture, the Muslimah saying Salaam to the Jewish woman, the Jewish woman wouldn't respond and probably may give a dirty look.

“When the Jews greet you, they say ‘al-saam ‘alaykum (death be upon you). So say ‘ ‘alayk (upon you).’”

My Mom always told me to say salaam if we knew a Muslim phoned. So I remember once I was expecting a call from my grandfather, the phone rang, I picked up and said ":sl:," the man said, "Peace be to you also, may I talk to..." It was my Dad's Hockey friend, named Jason. I felt so embarrassed I hung up the phone and ran away.

glo
07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
But I can see some things going bad, such as one muslim sister and one Jewish sister wearing similar to above picture, the Muslimah saying Salaam to the Jewish woman, the Jewish woman wouldn't respond and probably may give a dirty look.
On the other hand, she might just say "Shalom" back :statisfie

My Mom always told me to say salaam if we knew a Muslim phoned. So I remember once I was expecting a call from my grandfather, the phone rang, I picked up and said "," the man said, "Peace be to you also, may I talk to..." It was my Dad's Hockey friend, named Jason. I felt so embarrassed I hung up the phone and ran away.
Don't be embarrassed to wish God's peace on somebody else. It's the very best thing you can wish for somebody. I am sure your dad's friend took it in the spirit in which it was intended. :)

greenhill
07-03-2013, 03:51 PM
I don't know Iceee. islamic faith is about One True God. That was it from the very beginning. Teachings have the same basic messages. Refinement came subsequently, in stages and with a final installment.

Generally, if the faith originated from one of the prophets, then the aurah of the women were pretty much the same. Only, style in which the body is covered differed. I suppose, maintaining those styles are merely for identity purposes? Most distinct are the church uniforms and ceremonial outfits. In my ignorance of these different styles, if I can't differentiate between one or the other, I just believe that these are the people of the Books. Which Book?, I don't know. But most likely they won't be Christians, as they generally do not subscribe to the aurah thing, only the nuns do that.

glo
07-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Women covering their hair (at least during worship) is not as uncommon as we might expect.

Headcovering, at least during worship services, is still promoted or required in a few denominations and among the more traditional Catholics. Among these are Catholics who live a plain life and are known as Plain Catholics. Some Anabaptist denominations, including the Amish, Old Order Mennonite and Conservative Mennonites, the Old German Baptist Brethren,[22] the Hutterites,[23] and the Apostolic Christian Church; some Pentecostal churches, such as the Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith, The Pentecostal Mission, the Deeper Christian Life Ministry, and the Christian Congregation in the United States; the Laestadian Lutheran Church, the Plymouth Brethren; and the more conservative Scottish Presbyterian and Dutch Reformed churches. In those Protestant denominations which have no official expectation that women cover, some individuals choose to practice headcovering according to their understanding of 1 Corinthians 11.
Eastern Christianity[edit]

Some Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Eastern Catholic Churches require women to cover their heads while in church; an example of this practice occurs in the Russian Orthodox Church.[24] In Albania, Christian women often wear white veils, although their eyes are visible; moreover, in that nation, in Orthodox Christian church buildings, women are separated from men by latticework partitions during the church service.[25]

In other cases, the choice may be individual, or vary within a country or jurisdiction. Among Orthodox women in Greece, the practice of wearing a head covering in church gradually declined over the course of the 20th century, and today is only practiced by very elderly women of a particular generation that is now over 80 years old. In the United States, the custom can vary depending on the denomination and congregation, and the origins of that congregation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_headcovering

Insaanah
07-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Interesting share sis جوري, I didn't know women of other religions wore niqaab.

How do you feel about non-Muslims wearing hijab or niqab? Do you think it's a good thing or not?
The more modesty the better. It's not really a novelty, the portrayals of the noble virgin Mary (peace be upon her) all show her with her head covered, nuns cover their heads, so do Muslims and orthodox Jews. Even in Britain in the last century, the women would have heads covered and clothing up to the feet. Women covering was standard practice. In general, the more modesty in clothing in society, the better. Neither society nor the individuals concerned have anything to lose by that. True we may mistake them for Muslims, but that could lead to some quite interesting conversations.

Some Jews follow practices quite close to Islam, e.g. fasting Mondays and Thursdays etc. If they cover themselves, men have beards, they follow other rules, if they accept that there's One God without associate in his Divinity, all that remains for them to become Muslims is to accept all the prophets including Jesus (peace be upon him) as a messenger of God, and Muhammad :saws: as the last and final messenger of God, and the Qur'an as the book to now be followed which confirms what came before it. I pray that they can make that leap of faith, which isn't as big as it seems.

glo
07-03-2013, 04:07 PM
^
Love your post, sister Insaanah! :statisfie

Especially this:
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
In general, the more modesty in clothing in society, the better. Neither society nor the individuals concerned have anything to lose by that. True we may mistake them for Muslims, but that could lead to some quite interesting conversations.

Born_Believer
07-05-2013, 10:15 AM
That would be an interesting social experiment. :D

Perhaps women from all religions and none should start wearing the veil - just to confuse the authorities and to make a point.
That would be hilarious. How about a mass rally where all women just wore burkhas and marched through the streets of Paris LOL love to see the look on certain politicians faces.

glo
07-05-2013, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
That would be hilarious. How about a mass rally where all women just wore burkhas and marched through the streets of Paris LOL love to see the look on certain politicians faces.
I have heard many stories of non-Muslim women wearing hijab out of support and solidarity with their Muslim sisters.
Not sure if this happens in France though ...

Iceee
07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
I have heard many stories of non-Muslim women wearing hijab out of support and solidarity with their Muslim sisters.
In my old neighborhood, there was a Christian woman who was affected with cancer. I'm not really sure if she shaved her head or if her hair fell out by herself, but she was telling my Mom that she started too wear a hijab to avoid the embarrassment/on-lookers. After-wards, she started going to mosque and praying for a cure, and she eventually read the Shahada in front of my Mom and other Muslim woman in the mosque. She was such a friendly person to all the girls in my area. Sadly, she died couple of months after reading the Shahada. Her funeral was at the mosque, just how she wanted it to be.

glo
07-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Lovely story, Iceee :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!