/* */

PDA

View Full Version : It's haram to sleep on stomach but that is how I sleep?

Fainoz
07-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Ever since I found out it is Haram to sleep on stomach or at least dislike, I stopped and tried sleeping on my right side as preferred. But now, I can no longer sleep at night, I have had difficulties sleeping at night for the past week where I toss and turn for hours in the night. I so badly want to sleep on my stomach, because sleeping on my sides brings tremendous pressure on my shoulders, and lying on my back it is impossible for me to fall asleep.

Any Suggestions?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
07-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Salam alaykum

^o)

Haram this and that and also sleep on stomach? When we sleep we all turn ourselves during the night many times.

Why we should all the time wonder what is haram and haram? Wouldn´t it better to find if something is halal and enjoy this wonderful religion called islam?

greenhill
07-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Can't give any suggestions as sleeping habits are very individual. Sometimes a change of bed is enough to prevent people from falling asleep, let alone changes in sleeping position.

But what I'd like to note is that the preferred sleeping on the right is the same as what Life Saving classes teaches. They call it the 'recovery position'. If it is, then it is quite amazing that this is medically proven to be the best position after 1,400 years later!

On your matter, I am not sure what you understand about sleeping on your right (or for that matter what I understand also) but I don't think it means that you need to lie on your shoulder. If it is like the recovery position, then it means that you almost lie on your stomach but with your left knee slightly bent so alleviating pressure and weight off your heart with your right hand straight down (or thereabouts) and left hand in front of you.. Not sure how good the description is.:p

If anyone has any a difference of opinion/fact do correct me..... Sister Herb, is my description of the Recovery Position correct?
Anyone else - is the recovery position and the sunnah for sleeping one of the same?

Ali Mujahidin
07-04-2013, 01:49 PM
This is what I learned about the sleeping position according to the sunnah of the Holy Prophet.

Turn on the right side, facing the qiblat. The right hand with the palm open facing up, under the right cheek. The right leg slightly bent. The left leg also slightly bent with the left foot resting on the right foot. The left hand lies along the left side of the body, with the open left palm resting face down on the left thigh, outer side, a bit above the knee.

I learned this from watching practical demonstations. I hope I got it right. As for the shoulder, having a pillow that is thick and firm would put the head on a level position and not put undue pressure on the shoulder.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
07-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Salaam.

I also always slept on my stomach facing the right side. I've always liked it and fell asleep much more quickly..
I'd wake up sometimes on my right side. We can't control the position we change into when we are asleep.
Once you're tired, you can fall asleep in any position, so try jogging outside or reading Quran, praying tahajud, etc. Read a Book, Jump around the house when everyone is sleeping,
My friends who also sleep on their stomach seemed to all be skinny ^o)

White Rose
07-04-2013, 06:02 PM
:sl:

Its better to sleep on your right side as said by Prophet Muhammad SAW. There is less pressure on your body when you sleep on your right side. If you sleep on your stomach, then your backbone bends a bit and that can cause problems such as back pain when you get old. Not only that, sleeping on your stomach puts a lot of pressure on your body.

Like Brother Icee said, make sure you are tired and that will help you get to sleep. You dont have to do all the steps at first but just try lying in a comfortable position on your right side. :ia: you will progress.

Jedi_Mindset
07-04-2013, 06:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Haram this and that and also sleep on stomach? When we sleep we all turn ourselves during the night many times.
Doesnt have to, there were many times i started to sleep on my right side and woke up on my right side to. Between 5-8 hours of sleep each night is enough, any more will make you lazy and too comfortable. These were also the cases i was in a state of wudhu and after a hard day (work, working out et cetera).

Just work the entire day, do things and you will sleep at ease, even on your right side. infact go to sleep after ishaa, wake up early for fajr and stay awake till ishaa again + a day you will do much(chores), and maybe some sports. Recite some qu'ran before sleeping will basically help also. State of wudhu is a thing you should seriously do. laying on your stomach is disliked by prophet muhammed(saw) and is disliked by Allah(SWT).

And this;

format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
Once you're tired, you can fall asleep in any position, so try jogging outside or reading Quran, praying tahajud, etc. Read a Book, Jump around the house when everyone is sleeping
(5) Narrated Tikhfat al-Ghifari: Ya'ish ibn Tikhfat al-Ghifari said: My father was one of the people in the Suffah. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: Come with us to the house of Aisha. So we went and he said: Give us food, Aisha. She brought hashishah and we ate. He then said: Give us food, Aisha. She then brought haysah as small in quantity as a pigeon and we ate. He then said: Give us something to drink, Aisha. So she brought a bowl of milk, and we drank. Again he said: Give us something to drink, Aisha. She then brought a small cup and we drank. He then said: If you wish, you may spend the night (here), or if you wish, you may go to the mosque. He said: While I was lying on my stomach because of pain in the lung, a man began to shake me with his foot and then said: This is a method of lying which Allah hates. I looked and saw that he was the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him). (Book #41, Hadith #5022) (Sunan abu dawud)

6) Narrated Al-Bara 'bin 'Azib: The Prophet said to me, "Whenever you go to bed perform ablution like that for the prayer, lie or your right side and say, "Allahumma aslamtu wajhi ilaika, wa fauwadtu amri ilaika, wa alja'tu Zahri ilaika raghbatan wa rahbatan ilaika. La Malja' wa la manja minka illa ilaika. Allahumma amantu bikitabika-l-ladhi anzalta wa bina-biyika-l ladhi arsalta" (O Allah! I surrender to You and entrust all my affairs to You and depend upon You for Your Blessings both with hope and fear of You. There is no fleeing from You, and there is no place of protection and safety except with You O Allah! I believe in Your Book (the Qur'an) which You have revealed and in Your Prophet (Muhammad) whom You have sent). Then if you die on that very night, you will die with faith (i.e. or the religion of Islam). Let the aforesaid words be your last utterance (before sleep)." I repeated it before the Prophet and when I reached "Allahumma amantu bikitabika-l-ladhi anzalta (O Allah I believe in Your Book which You have revealed)." I said, "Wa-rasulika (and your Apostle)." The Prophet said, "No, (but say): 'Wanabiyika-l-ladhi arsalta (Your Prophet whom You have sent), instead." (Book #4, Hadith #247) (Sahih bukhari)

====

Laying on your back is also permitted, as this was done by RasoolAllah(Saw) a few times also. But lying on your stomach is from shaytaan.

Remember changes are always difficult at the beginning since your nafs and qarin need to get used to it.

Born_Believer
07-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't ever remember reading that sleeping a certain way is haram. Let's not use that word, it is very important that we are careful when we do that. It's like certain "scholars" saying wearing a wristwatch on your left wrist is haram ^o) Come on. These are just people who like the sounds of their own voices.

Anyway, to the matter in hand, yes sunnah is sleep on your right side. Follow it if you can but we all toss and turn in our sleep. It really is as simple as that. Islam is not a complicated or illogical religion.

Ahmad H
07-05-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that this Hadith, which I've read before a couple of times, means that you should try to fall asleep on your right side. You can't possibly control how you sleep at night by staying on your right side. How are you accountable for that? You are only accountable for what you are conscious of doing. Your intentions are in the right place. So just do the best you can and in time you should be able to sleep on your right side. It is difficult trying this though, so I know what you mean. I find my left side more comfortable, for some odd reason. But I try though, so it is intention that matters in the end.

Jedi_Mindset
07-05-2013, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Born_Believer
I don't ever remember reading that sleeping a certain way is haram. Let's not use that word, it is very important that we are careful when we do that. It's like certain "scholars" saying wearing a wristwatch on your left wrist is haram ^o) Come on. These are just people who like the sounds of their own voices.

Anyway, to the matter in hand, yes sunnah is sleep on your right side. Follow it if you can but we all toss and turn in our sleep. It really is as simple as that. Islam is not a complicated or illogical religion.
I dont know if it is haraam, but it is certainly disliked and from the shaytaan. (laying on your stomach)

Iceee
07-05-2013, 03:40 PM
"My father said 'while I was lying on my belly in the mosque, I felt a person moving me with his foot saying: "Allah hates this way of lying down." I looked up to find out that the man who was speaking was the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam)" .

Abu Dawood reported from Yaesh

greenhill
07-05-2013, 04:33 PM
These are words to those who listens and pay heed. We must also remember that Allah is Most Forgiving. When it said Allah 'hates' it does not necessary means it will incur His wrath, or that there is punishment if not followed. He hates it for a reason. Do we know why? I can only guess, and it may have something to do with the long term health benefit to our internal organs, especially our ribs, lungs and heart bearing the weight. I am no expert in either - the meaning of it or the health aspect. He hates that way of sleeping because there is better way to do so. He designed our bodies, He gives the Best advice. The words matter. To me 'hate' is close to the border, but not crossed the line, once crossed it will be anger. Once there there is anger then there would be consequence(s). Don't know, really but that is what I would read in it. :exhausted

Salaam :D

Scimitar
07-05-2013, 07:14 PM
do 100 push ups, 100 situps, 100 star jumps and 100 supermans... you'll fall asleep in any position afterwards... even standing up. :D

Scimi

Jedi_Mindset
07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
do 100 push ups, 100 situps, 100 star jumps and 100 supermans... you'll fall asleep in any position afterwards... even standing up. :D

Scimi
100 one arm push ups :D

greenhill
07-05-2013, 08:38 PM
:p for the first few nights, and you'll wake up with a very sore body. After a while, you'll get fit and then you can't sleep because you are so pumped up! Might have to do 500 of those reps!:D

Scimitar
07-05-2013, 08:42 PM
excellent strategy i think :)

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!