/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Job While Wearing Niqab

UmmuShaheed
07-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Asalamu Alaykum Wr Wb

Let me start off with saying Ramadan Kareem My Dear Brothers and Sisters!

I was wondering if there was anyone here who works while wearing a niqab? (sisters)
If yes, Whats your profession?

What are your thoughts on applying for jobs while wearing a niqab? Do you think your more likely not to get it because your face is covered?

(Of course brothers can add their insight)
Jazakallahu Khayr

Asalamu Alaykum Wr Wb

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aflawedbeing
07-12-2013, 10:43 AM
I can honestly say I feel there would be a lot of discrimination against you, especially during the interview process.
I'm not saying it's right, but I do think it would be there.

All the same, may Allah swt grant you whatever is best. Ameen.

Muhaba
07-12-2013, 11:10 AM
It really depends on where you're living, the type of environment you're trying to find work in, the industry type. If you're going to work where you meet lots of people, then most likely it will be hard for you to find a job wearing niqab (unless you live in Arab country and are an Arab. For example, in UAE I've seen UAE national women working in government owned establishments wearing niqab in such sections like customer service, reception, etc.). On the other hand if you are going to be working with computers or accounting record, then it won't be so difficult to get job in niqab. If you work in a school then there are more chances to get a job wearing a niqab even in administration roles (in Muslim countries at least).

aflawedbeing
07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
I assume she's looking in the United States. Could be wrong, but:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhaba
07-12-2013, 11:29 AM
One of my friends from USA worked as programmer while wearing niqab. So yes it's possible to get job wearing niqab in USA.

aflawedbeing
07-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Alhamdulillah.

Iceee
07-12-2013, 03:23 PM
If the question is referring to the country of United States, then it may be harder for you to get a job wearing niqab compared to someone who wears, "American" clothes. But anyways, it would have to depend on the job. Lots of discrimination in the 21st Century.

When I attended elementary school, the woman who was driving our school bus was a woman wearing niqab.
You can help students read Quran, maybe become an Appa.
Tutor? Babysit? Accountant? Teacher?

It's really important for Muslim women to educate themselves, so that their degrees and background speak louder than their appearance!

'Abd-al Latif
07-12-2013, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by UmmuShaheed
Asalamu Alaykum Wr Wb

I was wondering if there was anyone here who works while wearing a niqab? (sisters)

What are your thoughts on applying for jobs while wearing a niqab? Do you think your more likely not to get it because your face is covered?

Jazakallahu Khayr

Asalamu Alaykum Wr Wb
I work as a teacher and there are many practising sisters who work alongside me while observing niqab so inshaa'Allah wearing niqab at work is not an issue that should worry you too much (depending on where you apply to work of course).

There are plenty of admin jobs, teaching jobs in Islamic schools and tutoring jobs available that specifically require sisters to teach sisters that you might want to look into. There are also many Islamic institutes/organisations that look to employ brothers and sisters that you might want to look at. Unfortunately I can't direct you to any specific places because I don't know where you're from but I'm sure you'll be able to find something if you look around your locality.

As for working for non-Muslims, it might be better to look for jobs that don't require you to show your face (i.e. retail jobs and stuff is probably not a good idea). Working at warehouses, stock rooms, administrator or somewhere in the back-end will probably be a lot easier as these places just want someone to get the job done.

I've seen sisters who wear niqab working in all sorts of professions so inshaa'Allah just be sure to highlight your skills and strengths as much as you can to increase your chances of finding work. Also remember that it's not niqab that will sometimes prevent you from landing a good job but it's how you portray your skills and how you can help the company you've applied to work for to progress. Remember that anyone can maintain the status quo in a business but all businesses look for employees who can add to their company and help them grow and progress.

I hope this helps.

~Zaria~
07-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Asalamu Alaykum Wr Wb

Jazakallahu Khayr

Asalamu Alaykum Wr Wb

:wasalam: sister,

When we perform any action solely for the sake of seeking Allah (subhanawataála)s pleasure, and when the goal becomes Al-aakhirah (and not this dunya), then the answers to these questions become so much easier. SubhanAllah.

We should always remember, that obedience to Allah Taa'la comes before the obedience/ desires of mankind.
And that any disobedience to Allah Taa'la is just going to distance us further away from Him.

No doubt, the path of those who choose to walk the road 'less travelled', and who are willing to forsake anything and everything in this dunya - seeking Allahs pleasure, will be a path that will be more difficult than others.

There will certainly be periods of doubt and uneasiness that may creep into your thoughts from time to time.
There will be people who will criticize, mock and try to discourage you from following the true path (including fellow muslims).
You may be stared at.
And you may even be rejected for job interviews and promotions at work.

The question to ask is: does it really matter?

The difficulties that lie on the path leading to Allah azza wajjal, will only make the rewards that much greater in shaa Allah.

And the sweetness of imaan that one experiences, from knowing that they have chosen ALLAH over and above this dunya, wipes away any pain from our worldly and temporary losses.

So, do not worry about the reactions of the creation to your niqaab.
In shaa Allah, worry about the reaction of your Creator, should you chose His creation over Him.

My sister, our rizq/ sustenance has been decreed by Allah (subhanawataála).
Our duty is to strive in obedience to Allah, to make the necessary efforts and then to trust in His plan in all things.

If you are turned away from a job - it may be such that your niqaab was an influencing factor.
But, it is likely that the job did not belong to you in any case (with/ without the niqaab).
The only difference is, gaining Allah (subhanawata'la)s pleasure/ displeasure at that point in time, and at all times.

May Allah (subhanawataála) guide us towards all that is beloved to Him and keep us steadfast in His deen.
Ameen

:wa:

UmmuShaheed
07-13-2013, 04:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~

When we perform any action solely for the sake of seeking Allah (subhanawataála)s pleasure, and when the goal becomes Al-aakhirah (and not this dunya), then the answers to these questions become so much easier. SubhanAllah.

We should always remember, that obedience to Allah Taa'la comes before the obedience/ desires of mankind.
And that any disobedience to Allah Taa'la is just going to distance us further away from Him.

No doubt, the path of those who choose to walk the road 'less travelled', and who are willing to forsake anything and everything in this dunya - seeking Allahs pleasure, will be a path that will be more difficult than others.

There will certainly be periods of doubt and uneasiness that may creep into your thoughts from time to time.
There will be people who will criticize, mock and try to discourage you from following the true path (including fellow muslims).
You may be stared at.

The difficulties that lie on the path leading to Allah azza wajjal, will only make the rewards that much greater in shaa Allah.

And the sweetness of imaan that one experiences, from knowing that they have chosen ALLAH over and above this dunya, wipes away any pain from our worldly and temporary losses.

In shaa Allah, worry about the reaction of your Creator, should you chose His creation over Him.

Our duty is to strive in obedience to Allah, to make the necessary efforts and then to trust in His plan in all things.

If you are turned away from a job - it may be such that your niqaab was an influencing factor.
But, it is likely that the job did not belong to you in any case (with/ without the niqaab).
The only difference is, gaining Allah (subhanawata'la)s pleasure/ displeasure at that point in time, and at all times.

May Allah (subhanawataála) guide us towards all that is beloved to Him and keep us steadfast in His deen.
Ameen

I started this thread in hopes of helping other sisters who might struggle with their niqab and working. Alhamdulilah I do wear a Niqab, and work. But when I speak to other sisters, this is an issue for them, your advice was great in tackling it from different views. May Allah grant you Jannahtul firdous.

UmmuShaheed
07-13-2013, 04:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
I work as a teacher and there are many practising sisters who work alongside me while observing niqab so inshaa'Allah wearing niqab at work is not an issue that should worry you too much (depending on where you apply to work of course).

There are plenty of admin jobs, teaching jobs in Islamic schools and tutoring jobs available that specifically require sisters to teach sisters that you might want to look into. There are also many Islamic institutes/organisations that look to employ brothers and sisters that you might want to look at. Unfortunately I can't direct you to any specific places because I don't know where you're from but I'm sure you'll be able to find something if you look around your locality.

As for working for non-Muslims, it might be better to look for jobs that don't require you to show your face (i.e. retail jobs and stuff is probably not a good idea). Working at warehouses, stock rooms, administrator or somewhere in the back-end will probably be a lot easier as these places just want someone to get the job done.

I've seen sisters who wear niqab working in all sorts of professions so inshaa'Allah just be sure to highlight your skills and strengths as much as you can to increase your chances of finding work. Also remember that it's not niqab that will sometimes prevent you from landing a good job but it's how you portray your skills and how you can help the company you've applied to work for to progress. Remember that anyone can maintain the status quo in a business but all businesses look for employees who can add to their company and help them grow and progress.

I hope this helps.
Jazakallahu Khayr for your advice akhi, I pray it helps reaffirm the understanding to sisters who already wear niqab, and others who are considering it.

Icy Maiden
07-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Is a woman who wears a niqab better than the one who wears hijab? And is a woman who wears hijab better than the one who doesn't wear any head covering? If so, then this discussion has merit.

~Zaria~
07-13-2013, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Icy Maiden
Is a woman who wears a niqab better than the one who wears hijab? And is a woman who wears hijab better than the one who doesn't wear any head covering? If so, then this discussion has merit.
:salam: sister,

We should not allow our own acts of worship, be a means to judge those who may not have reached the same level of understanding/ observance in deen.

As soon as we do so, then we have immediately dropped lower than them and we are distancing ourselves from Allah as a result.

Allah (subhanawata'ala) is the best of judges in all matters, and He knows best how close His servants are to Him at present/ will become to Him in the future.

It may be such, that the woman who wears niqaab has very bad manners/ does not treat her parents well.
And the one who does not adorn any hijab engages in some act that is very pleasing to Allah, by which He forgives her, such that she may enter Jannah even before the niqaabi
(in other words, this discussion should not be about who appears to be 'better' in imaan).

We should try to gently encourage those around us to adopt the commands of Allah and His Nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) and also to make duaa for them - that Allah guides them towards His true path.

As well as remember our own sins and weaknesses, and where we have come from - truly it is only through Allahs mercy that we may be able to practice some meager amounts of ibaadat.

There are so many women who were once in hijab/ niqaab, and now have discarded it.
And there are so many women who once did not have any clue about hijab.....and now find themselves in niqaab.
Hence the duaa found below (in my signature) is one that we should recite frequently in shaa Allah - that Allah keeps these weak hearts firmly attached to His deen.
Ameen

:wasalam:

sister herb
07-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Salam alaykum

By the other words I could say that the best sister is that one who keeps Allah in hers heart. We can´t see what others have in they hearts, but Allah can. And that´s the most important.

:D

UmmuShaheed
07-14-2013, 01:41 AM
Asalamu Alaikum sis IcyMaiden,
Regardless, I believe this discussion can benefit some sisters, thus giving it merit .
The hijab, or niqab doesn't make a person, their iman makes them who they are. People can judge others by what they wear regardless no one truly knows the status of another persons Iman.
Our hearts constantly change, we can wake up a Muslim, and go to sleep a non-believer.
May Allah forgive us, and strengthen our hearts on the right path.
Asalamu Alakum .

Icy Maiden
07-14-2013, 05:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Salam alaykum

By the other words I could say that the best sister is that one who keeps Allah in hers heart. We can´t see what others have in they hearts, but Allah can. And that´s the most important.

:D
If what matters most is the faith in one's heart, then it doesn't matter what one wears.

Common sense and logic says that finding a job while wearing a niqab is going to be very difficult especially in a country like the US. If so, why would any sister insist on wearing the niqab under those circumstances unless of course she believes the niqab is a demonstration of how great her faith is.

In which case, her faith is nullified. People who have true faith in their hearts don't have the attitude of "See how great my faith is! I refuse to take off my niqab!"

'Abd-al Latif
07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Jazakallahu Khayr for your advice akhi, I pray it helps reaffirm the understanding to sisters who already wear niqab, and others who are considering it.
All niqabi sisters need to focus on their skills and strengths and need to try to avoid feeling self-conscious about their niqab, albeit how easy it is to feel that way.

The employer primarily looks to purchase your abilities in order to add value to their business and organisation and so you need to sell yourself by promoting your skills, enthusiasm and effort to an employer.

If it doesn't work out for a particular job that you wanted then try and try again and don't feel disheartened. The word is full of opportunities.

~Zaria~
07-14-2013, 12:54 PM
If what matters most is the faith in one's heart, then it doesn't matter what one wears. Common sense and logic says that finding a job while wearing a niqab is going to be very difficult especially in a country like the US. If so, why would any sister insist on wearing the niqab under those circumstances unless of course she believes the niqab is a demonstration of how great her faith is.In which case, her faith is nullified. People who have true faith in their hearts don't have the attitude of "See how great my faith is! I refuse to take off my niqab!"
When a woman wears a niqaab/ hijaab (or any other action), the intent should not be, to demonstrate to others 'how great her faith is'.

Whatever action we perform, our intention should only be to seek the pleasure of Allah.Those who refuse to remove their niqaabs, do so because they have certainty in their hearts that this is a command from Allah and His Nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam)

In shaa Allah, you may find the following article to be of benefit to you, in terms of understanding the importance of the niqaab in Islam

http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...art-islam.html

Insaanah
07-14-2013, 01:03 PM
This is about those who choose to wear niqaab. It is not about one woman better than the other. There is no us vs them mentality here, we are all sisters in Islam, some to choose to wear hijaab, some wear hijaab while in their heart also wanting to wear niqaab, and some choose to wear niqaab, as they believe that the evidence for that is stronger. But they do not look down on those that don't wear it, though may encourage them to do so.

Common sense and logic says that finding a job while wearing a niqab is going to be very difficult especially in a country like the US. If so, why would any sister insist on wearing the niqab under those circumstances unless of course she believes the niqab is a demonstration of how great her faith is.
No, it is not a demonstration of how great is her faith is. It is not for show. Those who wear it, feel the evidence for it is stronger. It is impossible to wear niqaab without others seeing it. That doesn't mean that they are doing it for show. That means any expression of faith in public, is for show, be that hijaab, beard or anything else. This is a misunderstanding on your part.

In which case, her faith is nullified. People who have true faith in their hearts don't have the attitude of "See how great my faith is! I refuse to take off my niqab!"
You personally cannot nullify anyone's faith on the basis that a sister of yours in Islam wears the niqaab and we seek Allahs refuge from having such thoughts. You cannot decide who has true faith in their heart and who doesn't, only Allah can. Even if niqaab is optional, you cannot nullify one's faith for following an optional act, rather there is more reward. As for intention, the place of the intention is in the heart. And the only knower of what is in the hearts is Allah. If the intention is to show off, He will know it, if the intention is to please him, He will know it. We need to be very careful about what we say about our fellow Muslims and the status of their faith, lest we are taken to task for that ourselves. Are we associating ourselves with Allah as Knower of what's in the hearts?

'Abd-al Latif
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
If what matters most is the faith in one's heart, then it doesn't matter what one wears.
It does matter what one wears because faith is not confined to the heart. Emaan (belief) in Allah means to have sincere faith in the heart and then made apparent through speech and actions. All three (faith in the heart, speech and actions) are an absolute requirement to have complete faith.

The command to observe the veil for women is in Qur'an. Therefore, those women who observe the veil (including the face veil) are observing the commands of Allah and are manifesting their faith via actions.

No one claims to love their mother without showing it through actions such as gifts, hugs and other means of affection. To tell her that you love her is the smallest thing you can do for her.

Do you disagree?

Then why should the love and obedience to Allah be confined to the heart?

Faith confined to the heart is the most shallow and insincere form of belief.

Icy Maiden
07-14-2013, 04:50 PM
When a woman wears a niqaab/ hijaab (or any other action), the intent should not be, to demonstrate to others 'how great her faith is'.
Exactly right. A woman must never wear a niqab or hijab with that sort of intention.

Those who refuse to remove their niqaabs, do so because they have certainty in their hearts that this is a command from Allah and His Nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam)
Are you speaking for every woman out there who wears the niqab?

Icy Maiden
07-14-2013, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
But they do not look down on those that don't wear it, though may encourage them to do so.
Does it occur to you that there might be sisters out there who do look down upon sisters who don't wear hijab?

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
You personally cannot nullify anyone's faith on the basis that a sister of yours in Islam wears the niqaab and we seek Allahs refuge from having such thoughts.
Sister, could you please read my words a little more carefully? Do you not see the words "In which case".... the case being a sister wearing the niqab for show.

Are you saying that if a sister wear the niqab to show off, she still has faith?

Icy Maiden
07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
It does matter what one wears because faith is not confined to the heart.
Isn't faith belief in Allah and His messenger? Where else is this found but in the heart? And who else but Allah knows who has this faith and who doesn't?

The hypocrites pray, wear hijab/niqab and even observe Ramadan. But their actions aren't going to be accepted because they have no faith in their hearts.

Insaanah
07-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Does it occur to you that there might be sisters out there who do look down upon sisters who don't wear hijab?
If there are, then why should we generalise it? Also, we are told to have husnu dhann (good thoughts) about our brothers and sisters, so no, it has never occurred to me that there may be some who look down. Even if there are, Allah will take us all to account, so it's none of my business. It may be that they are at a different stage of their faith journey, and in shaa'Allah they will learn more, and no longer look down, and may end up being better Muslims than us. Their thoughts are not my concern, save perhaps if it was voiced openly, to gently remind. When I see a woman in niqaab, I don't think whether her intention is correct in wearing it and is she just wearing it to show off, and harbour doubts about her, for no reason. Taking account or taking reckoning of intentions is no humans job, but Allah's. Each of us has enough of our own shortcomings to worry about. I just see a fellow Muslim sister, alhamdulillah.

Sister, could you please read my words a little more carefully? Do you not see the words "In which case".... the case being a sister wearing the niqab for show.
Are you saying that if a sister wear the niqab to show off, she still has faith?
I read exactly what you wrote, and the same answer still applies. It is not your job or my job make takfeer on anyone, or to declare anyone as not having faith. That is Allah's job.

Back to the question, the niqaab wearing sisters I know seem to work in Islamic schools.

~Zaria~
07-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Back to the question, the niqaab wearing sisters I know seem to work in Islamic schools.
I know of some niqaab-wearing sisters in the medical field, secretaries at NPOs and some who have started their own small businesses.

I think anything is possible if our intentions are sincere in whatever we do, and when we place unwavering trust in Allah (subhanawataála).

This life is way too short and the prize (the meeting of our Rabb, the intercession and companionship of Muhammed (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) and abode in Jannatul Firdous in shaa Allah) way too precious, to allow our eternal life in the aakhirah to be determined by mankind.

No sacrifice is too large.
(in fact, whatever is decreed by Allah is only for our benefit and when one considers the rewards for gaining His pleasure in shaa Allah, then to follow every aspect of this deen is not really a sacrifice......it all depends on how we wish to look at it.)

No worldly loss (in terms of employment/ promotion/ 'acceptance'/ ridicule) can compare to the treasures that in shaa Allah awaits in the aakhirah, that our minds can not even begin to imagine.

Its not always easy, but the key is to stay focused, and to keep our eyes on the ultimate goal.
SubhanAllah, it is not this dunya.

One day, I fear the many, many regrets that we (more specifically, I) will have when we will one day part from this world.
The times that we wasted.
The sunnahs of our beloved Nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) that we should have followed.
Every Nafl (optional) act that we should not have let pass us by.
Every minute that we did not spend in some manner, in the ibaadat of Allah (subhanawataála).

Even for those who may differ on the position of the niqaab in Islam (obligatory vs preferable vs optional), I hope that we can move away from these, (and in the words of mufti Menk):

"Everyone who is trying - TRY HARDER.
There is no level that you can get to, and say that now I have arrived."

"If Allah has given you the ability to put a scarf on your head......dont ever remove it......and try to get to the next stage.
If Allah has given you the ability to wear a niqaab.....dont ever remove it......and try to get to the next stage."

SubhanAllah, we should never be satisfied by our current levels of imaan.
We can ALWAYS be doing better.

So long that there is still life within us, then this is time that Allah (subhanawatála) is blessing us with, to draw towards Him.....before it is too late.

I pray that no woman ever chooses to forsake her niqaab/ hijaab.....and no man ever decides to remove his beard/ his attire that resembles that of the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam).....or ANY part of this deen, for the acceptance of the mankind.
Ameen

"DEEN OVER DUNYA".

'Abd-al Latif
07-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Isn't faith belief in Allah and His messenger? Where else is this found but in the heart? And who else but Allah knows who has this faith and who doesn't?

The hypocrites pray, wear hijab/niqab and even observe Ramadan. But their actions aren't going to be accepted because they have no faith in their hearts.

You're not understanding my point.

To be a Muslim means to believe in Allah and His Messenger. This belief in Islam comprises of three parts:
(1) Beliving in Allah and His Messenger in one's heart. What resides in the heart is made visible and apparent through:
(2) actions (by doing what Allah has commanded you to do and staying away from what He has forbidden you from)
(3) speech (by testifying to Allah and His Messenger and speaking for Islam)

To reiterate: belief is a combination of believing in Islam in your heart and showing it via speech and actions. This is obligatory and any compromise in any of the three could nullify your Islam.

Belief in Allah without actions and speech is superficial and false as what one believes in must be made apparent.

To speak of and promote Islam without believing in it is also false and hypocritical as you're promoting something you don't even believe in.

To act as a Muslim without being one is fruitless because its not going to bring you much good.

All three states (believing in Allah and His Messenger and then showing that you believing in Allah and His Messenger by speaking for Islam and acting in accordance to the laws of Allah) must be present for faith to become complete.

There are numerous verses in Quran and countless narrations a in hadeeth that prove this and I will show them to you in my next post.

For the time being, what you should know regarding speech:

“One who believes in his heart but does not verbally state his belief is not considered as a believer, neither in this life nor in the Hereafter. God has not declared such a person—who simply has knowledge of faith in his heart—to be a believer in the Message [of God]. He is not considered a believer unless he confirms it by his speech.

“Therefore, the outward speech is an essential aspect of Faith, and according to the earlier and later scholars, one will not be saved unless he verbally testifies… he, who does not make the confession of faith although he has the ability to do so, is a disbeliever. He is a disbeliever both inwardly and outwardly.”

(Ibn Taimiyyah stated in The Book of Faith)

Regarding actions being a fundamental pillar of belief in Allah and His Messenger:

"And that is because Faith’s root is what is in the heart and the outer deeds are inevitable due to that. It is inconceivable that there would exist Faith in the heart yet there be no [good] works from the limbs [as a consequence]. Rather, when the outer deeds diminish it is due to the diminishing of the belief which is in the heart… Since works are correlated to the heart, then surely it is desired that a man is not contented by the heart’s belief; rather, the righteous works are definitely with it.”

(al-Fatâwâ, 7/198)

I hope my point is clear to you now.

'Abd-al Latif
07-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Continuing from my previous post regarding belief, below are proofs that all three components of belief in the heart, speech and actions are necessary for faith to be complete.

Part 1: Faith of the heart

Though I want to keep things separate for the sake of clarity, notice how closely Allah mentions faith and actions in the following verses. Underlined is the praise of belief and in bold is praise of action right after it:

And those who believed and did good works, they are the inhabitants of Paradise, abiding therein eternally.” (Quran 2:82)

Allah has promised those who believed and did good works, that for them is a tremendous reward (in Paradise).” (Quran 5:9)

And those who believed and did good works…they are the inhabitants of the Garden (of Paradise), abiding therein eternally.” (Quran 7:42)

Those who believe and do good works, their Lord guides them by their faith. Rivers will flow beneath them in the Gardens of Delight.” (Quran 10:9)

Upon those who believed and did good works shall The Most Gracious [God] bestow [His] Love.” (Quran 19:96)

Those who believed and did good works, We shall blot out their transgressions and shall reward them according to the best of that which they used to do.” (Quran 29:7)

And He (Allah) answers those who believe and do good works, and gives them more out of His Grace.” (Quran, 42:26)

Part 2: manifesting one's belief via actions

Even though actions are mentioned right besides the belief in the above verses, I will separately quote below the importance of deeds:

Allah says: "...The believing men and the believing women are helpers of each other: they bid the good, forbid the evil, establish the prayer, pay the alms, and they obey Allah and His Messenger—these are the people on whom Allah will be merciful. Indeed Allah is Powerful and Wise." (9:71)

He also says: "You cannot attain to righteousness unless you spend (in charity) out of those things which you love." (3:91)

He also says: "Pardon (people) and overlook (their faults). Don't you love that Allah should forgive you?" (24:22)

he also says: "Purify your garments and shun uncleanness." (74:4-5)

I can go on all day quoting verses but the above should suffice for now.

As for hadeeth the Messenger :saws1: said:

The Messenger (:saws1:) said: "Rush towards the performance of virtuous deeds before you are afflicted with trials as dark as the night." [Narrated in Sahih Muslim]

He also said: "The best loved deeds to Allah are the ones that are continuous even if they are not very many."

Another narration states:

It is narrated on the authority of Abdullah bin Mas'ood (may Allah be pleased with him), who observed: "I asked Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) which deed was the best."
He replied: 'The Prayer at its appointed hour.'
I (again) asked: "Then what?" He replied: 'Kindness to the parents.'
I (again) asked: "Then what?" He replied: 'Earnest struggle in the cause of Allah.'
I refrained from asking any more questions for fear of annoying him.

(Narrated in Sahih Muslim: 120)

Part 3: Speech. Testifying your Islam.

Allah says: "O you who believe! keep your duty to Allah and speak straight, true words." (Quran 33:70)

He also says: "It is most hateful in the sight of Allah that you say things which you do not do." (61:3)

He also says: "Call (others) to the way of your Lord with wisdom and goodly exhortation, and argue with them in the best manner." (16:125)

Hence, faith, speech and actions combined equals to complete and true faith. So I say to you what Allah says:

"Say: "This is my way; I invite unto Allâh with sure knowledge..." (12:107)

Insaanah
07-29-2013, 09:44 PM
:salam:

On the theme of the topic of the last two posts, explaining belief and actions, this is a really good read too vis-a-vis hijaab, but without mentioning the word hijaab anywhere in the answer.

Query

“Asalamualaykum, I wanted to seek your opinion on the matter of wearing hijab. Among my friends and family, we have been discussing the role and purpose of hijab in Islam. Some are of the view that it’s more important to be a good human being i.e best in character, polite, truthful, honest, have clear intentions etc and fulfil your huquq ul-Ibad (rights of fellow people). ‘What's the point of covering your head if you are not doing the above mentioned?,’ is the response of some. Could you please elaborate on this issue in the light of Sunnah and Hadith. Thanks.” Sister in Islam

Wa ‘Alaykum al-Salam wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh
Jazakumullah khayran for your query. Hopefully the following points will be of benefit to your discussion. I have chosen to answer in a manner that is not connected to hijab itself and is generic for any legislation within Islam, if you need a particular point expounded upon I can do that insha’allah....

Continues here: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...f-you-not.html

Karl
07-29-2013, 10:37 PM
The best thing to do is get married and let the husband do the work. When females go to work they are competing with men who have a family to provide for.

Ummshareef
08-04-2013, 03:45 PM

I don't wear niqaab myself at the moment, but have been thinking long and hard about it, especially during Ramadhan and have pretty much made up my mind to broach the subject with my DH soon. So I can't answer the question from personal experience yet but I know quite a few working sisters from my masjid in the UK that wear niqaab and while most work in Islamic environments (madrassah and masjid and some halal businesses) I do know a few that work in non-Islamic environmentsthat are able to wear it to work including one who works in admin in local government and one who works in a call centre. I also know a GP who wears the niqaab some of the time, i.e. when she is outside work, but not when she is seeing patients, and also a very highly qualified engineer that wears it to and from work but not in the office.

alhumdulillah I do think niqaab is a great blessing and it would be nice if sisters could observe it without being discriminated against.

May Allah subhana wa ta'alaa protect them all and keep them steadfast.

Hasan Ibn Omer
08-04-2013, 07:26 PM
assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh, ramadan kareem. may Allah give you the reward for wearing Niqab (ameen). my sister take it as a test from Allah you could take off your Niqab and many more doors for jobs would open but this is your test. i would say look into Islamic organisations such as Islamic schools or charity's (a lot of charity's do paid work) or try getting into phone sales or something like that. may Allah reward you for putting your faith before your riches :)

Ali Mujahidin
08-05-2013, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
The best thing to do is get married and let the husband do the work. When females go to work they are competing with men who have a family to provide for.
I agree with you 1000%. I believe that when women go out to work, they are neglecting something which is even more important, which is looking after the home and bringing up the children. So let the men concentrate on making the money and the women concentrate on making the home. This will lead to a better life for everyone concerned.

~Zaria~
08-05-2013, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Mujahidin
I agree with you 1000%. I believe that when women go out to work, they are neglecting something which is even more important, which is looking after the home and bringing up the children. So let the men concentrate on making the money and the women concentrate on making the home. This will lead to a better life for everyone concerned.

^ While this is true, I think that many women will feel more comfortable to be assisted by other women in, e.g, the following fields:
- Obstetricians/ gynaecologists/ doctors/ nurses/ care-givers/ social workers/ psychologists/ teachers, etc.

(Some time ago, when I needed a root canal to be performed, I was so happy to have a female dentist leaning over my face for a long period of time, rather than a strange man).

Allah (subhanawataála) has made it such that there will be women who leave their homes to fulfill this amaanat (trust) to their communities, while there will also be women who, by His will, are at home.
Even at the time of the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam), there were women who left their homes to bring water to those injured at battle and to care for their wounds.

Also, there are those women who are fending for themselves and kids, as a result of them being widowed, divorced, or those who may not be blessed with marriage at all.
In these cases, they have no choice but to seek employment.

So, it is for Allah Taa'la to judge regarding:
- a woman's intention in leaving her home to seek employment in the first place
- the manner she interacts with the opposite gender (should she need to come into contact with them at work),
- her efforts to maintain hijab in her dress, speech, behaviour, etc
- her ability to place the needs of her husband and family over and above that of the needs of her occupation (for no doubt, this is women's first and foremost priority).

There are many senior ulema who have provided guidance with regards to women seeking tertiary education and going out into the work-field in the above types of scenarios.
You may consult your local imam regarding this, for more clarity.

However, I think the purpose of this discussion is not about whether women should work or not, but rather directed at those women who are seeking employment (for those reasons best known to them and Allah) - with the focus on wearing niqaab (as this would be the most ideal for a woman who leaves the confines of her home).

And Allah knows best.

Karl
08-05-2013, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Mujahidin
True... there is also another angle, the NWO uses a double edged sword, it uses the left to scream for equality of the sexes and the plutocrats profit by it as it drives down wages so they get two wage slaves for the price of one.
Ever wondered why bondage slavery was abolished? There are more ways to enslave people than just by using irons and the lash.

Karl
08-06-2013, 12:13 AM
@Zaria You have a point there but couldn't these jobs be done by the barren or transgender (feminoids)? I mean why should females risk getting bogged down in a job, your beauty fleeting day by day and harder to find a husband as your youth is lost and it is also harder on you to have babies and they will not be so healthy.

Iceee
08-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Salaam.

I mean why should females risk getting bogged down in a job, your beauty fleeting day by day and harder to find a husband as your youth is lost and it is also harder on you to have babies and they will not be so healthy.
Might want to be careful what you say my dear brother. Not exactly true ^

Karl
08-06-2013, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
Salaam.

Might want to be careful what you say my dear brother. Not exactly true ^
I suppose you are right, there are a lot of gerontophiles out there, especially in the West and with all these modern methods even old hags can have children, but is this the way Muslims want to go?

Muhaba
08-09-2013, 01:54 AM
Easier said than done. Marriage is in fate. You will get married when God wants, no matter what you do. While one should always have the intention to get married and not delay it or refuse it unnecessarily, it's best for a woman to focus on her career. Otherwise a time may come when you have neither marriage nor a career. That doesn't mean that a woman should refuse marriage because she wants to build her career. But rather, continue working on building their career.

Futuwwa
08-11-2013, 10:16 PM
And that, sir, is a case of the Lump of Labour Fallacy. And even if it weren't, so? Men are religiously mandated to provide, women are not mandated to get out of the way to make it easier for men to provide.

~Zaria~
08-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Why I Shed Bikini for Niqab: The New Symbol of Women's Liberation

By Sara Bokker
www.albalagh.net

I am an American woman who was born in the midst of America's "Heartland." I grew up, just like any other girl, being fixated with the glamour of life in "the big city." Eventually, I moved to Florida and on to South Beach of Miami, a hotspot for those seeking the "glamorous life." Naturally, I did what most average Western girls do. I focused on my appearance and appeal, basing my self-worth on how much attention I got from others. I worked out religiously and became a personal trainer, acquired an upscale waterfront residence, became a regular "exhibiting" beach-goer and was able to attain a "living-in-style" kind of life.

Years went by, only to realize that my scale of self-fulfillment and happiness slid down the more I progressed in my "feminine appeal." I was a slave to fashion. I was a hostage to my looks.

As the gap continued to progressively widen between my self-fulfillment and lifestyle, I sought refuge in escapes from alcohol and parties to meditation, activism, and alternative religions, only to have the little gap widen to what seemed like a valley. I eventually realized it all was merely a pain killer rather than an effective remedy.

By now it was September 11, 2001. As I witnessed the ensuing barrage on Islam, Islamic values and culture, and the infamous declaration of the "new crusade," I started to notice something called Islam. Up until that point, all I had associated with Islam was women covered in "tents," wife beaters, harems, and a world of terrorism.

As a feminist libertarian, and an activist who was pursuing a better world for all, my path crossed with that of another activist who was already at the lead of indiscriminately furthering causes of reform and justice for all. I joined in the ongoing campaigns of my new mentor which included, at the time, election reform and civil rights, among others. Now my new activism was fundamentally different. Instead of "selectively" advocating justice only to some, I learned that ideals such as justice, freedom, and respect are meant to be and are essentially universal, and that own good and common good are not in conflict. For the first time, I knew what "all people are created equal" really means. But most importantly, I learned that it only takes faith to see the world as one and to see the unity in creation.

One day I came across a book that is negatively stereotyped in the West--The Holy Qur'an. I was first attracted by the style and approach of the Qur'an, and then intrigued by its outlook on existence, life, creation, and the relationship between Creator and creation. I found the Qur'an to be a very insightful address to heart and soul without the need for an interpreter or pastor.

Eventually I hit a moment of truth: my new-found self-fulfilling activism was nothing more than merely embracing a faith called Islam where I could live in peace as a "functional" Muslim.

I bought a beautiful long gown and head cover resembling the Muslim woman's dress code and I walked down the same streets and neighborhoods where only days earlier I had walked in my shorts, bikini, or "elegant" western business attire. Although the people, the faces, and the shops were all the same, one thing was remarkably distinct--I was not--nor was the peace at being a woman I experienced for the very first time. I felt as if the chains had been broken and I was finally free. I was delighted with the new looks of wonder on people's faces in place of the looks of a hunter watching his prey I had once sought. Suddenly a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I no longer spent all my time consumed with shopping, makeup, getting my hair done, and working out. Finally, I was free.

Of all places, I found my Islam at the heart of what some call "the most scandalous place on earth," which makes it all the more dear and special.

While content with Hijab I became curious about Niqab, seeing an increasing number of Muslim women in it. I asked my Muslim husband, whom I married after I reverted to Islam, whether I should wear Niqab or just settle for the Hijab I was already wearing. My husband simply advised me that he believes Hijab is mandatory in Islam while Niqab is not. At the time, my Hijab consisted of head scarf that covered all my hair except for my face, and a loose long black gown called "Abaya" that covered all my body from neck to toe.

A year-and-a-half passed, and I told my husband I wanted to wear Niqab. My reason, this time, was that I felt it would be more pleasing to Allah, the Creator, increasing my feeling of peace at being more modest. He supported my decision and took me to buy an "Isdaal," a loose black gown that covers from head to toe, and Niqab, which covers all my head and face except for my eyes.

Soon enough, news started breaking about politicians, Vatican clergymen, libertarians, and so-called human rights and freedom activists condemning Hijab at times, and Niqab at others as being oppressive to women, an obstacle to social integration, and more recently, as an Egyptian official called it--"a sign of backwardness."

I find it to be a blatant hypocrisy when Western governments and so-called human rights groups rush to defend woman's rights when some governments impose a certain dress code on women, yet such "freedom fighters" look the other way when women are being deprived of their rights, work, and education just because they choose to exercise their right to wear Niqab or Hijab. Today, women in Hijab or Niqab are being increasingly barred from work and education not only under totalitarian regimes such as in Tunisia, Morocco, and Egypt, but also in Western democracies such as France, Holland, and Britain.

Today I am still a feminist, but a Muslim feminist, who calls on Muslim women to assume their responsibilities in providing all the support they can for their husbands to be good Muslims. To raise their children as upright Muslims so they may be beacons of light for all humanity once again. To enjoin good--any good--and to forbid evil--any evil. To speak righteousness and to speak up against all ills. To fight for our right to wear Niqab or Hijab and to please our Creator whichever way we chose. But just as importantly to carry our experience with Niqab or Hijab to fellow women who may never have had the chance to understand what wearing Niqab or Hijab means to us and why do we, so dearly, embrace it.

Most of the women I know wearing Niqab are Western reverts, some of whom are not even married. Others wear Niqab without full support of either family or surroundings. What we all have in common is that it is the personal choice of each and every one of us, which none of us is willing to surrender.

Willingly or unwillingly, women are bombarded with styles of "dressing-in-little-to-nothing" virtually in every means of communication everywhere in the world. As an ex non-Muslim, I insist on women's right to equally know about Hijab, its virtues, and the peace and happiness it brings to a woman's life as it did to mine. Yesterday, the bikini was the symbol of my liberty, when in actuality it only liberated me from my spirituality and true value as a respectable human being.

I couldn't be happier to shed my bikini in South Beach and the "glamorous" Western lifestyle to live in peace with my Creator and enjoy living among fellow humans as a worthy person. It is why I choose to wear Niqab, and why I will die defending my inalienable right to wear it. Today, Niqab is the new symbol of woman's liberation.

To women who surrender to the ugly stereotype against the Islamic modesty of Hijab, I say: You don't know what you are missing.

Sara Bokker is a former actress/model/fitness instructor and activist.

cottonrainbow
09-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Assalamu alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh!

dear, only you and Allah SWT know what you need, so I'm going to do my best to assist you! Alhamdulilah! In America, we have opportunities where you get to commute to work or work from home! I worked in numerous fields in hijab, but i've never worn niqab. Of course you may be discriminated against, but at least here you are given a chance to prove your work ethics.

I don't have brothers, uncles, or a father to work for me, but most American muslimahs don't-- we work.

I would say
  • try customer service call center jobs. Many Muslim women work in call centers. Call centers are comprised of mostly women employees.
  • try working for a daycare. Another place where mostly women work.
  • try working for your local school system. Don't allow fear of the unknown to hinder you. Allah is all powerful!
  • try working from home! Try this website: www.liveops.com there is an initial background check fee, but you'll earn that money back quickly! You can choose your hours. There is a lot of flexibility in working from home!
I can relate because this was a challenge for me. I have had other sisters try to pressure me to give up my jobs, but you see-- they live a different life from me, so they can't relate to my need to work, nor are they providing for me and my family!

Just know that Allah SWT provides and opens doors! I live in the South USA and was really afraid at first when i became a Muslim. I was afraid that people would try to hurt me or cause me harm. I performed duas about my concerns and Alhamdulilah, the exact opposite happens! Most people are respectful and nice: if that is what you project.

hebba_rostom
02-04-2014, 08:46 AM
salamoalaykom, dear sisters
i'm the hr director of a company which does not mind the employment of montakibat. i'm wearing nikab myself.

unfortunately, i can't post the link to my vacancies. i receive errors.

alternatively, you may wish to register in the freelancer site

Karl
02-06-2014, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
Easier said than done. Marriage is in fate. You will get married when God wants, no matter what you do. While one should always have the intention to get married and not delay it or refuse it unnecessarily, it's best for a woman to focus on her career. Otherwise a time may come when you have neither marriage nor a career. That doesn't mean that a woman should refuse marriage because she wants to build her career. But rather, continue working on building their career.
If you become a hermit in the mountains you will not get married unless to a yeti. The choice is always yours. So you believe women should focus on a career, to gain wealth and security? Family comes later, procrastinate until you are rich and secure and old. So why bother being a Muslim? Why submit to your role of mother and homemaker by Gods decree, as you don't trust Allah to provide for you a good husband.

Urban Turban
02-07-2014, 08:52 PM

You may be stared at.

Ameen

MashaAllah perhaps the only tauheedistic taqwaesque post and sisters, if you have faith in Allah ta'ala its a matter of time before He opens up other doors - remember sustenance has been guaranteed - it depends on how you seek it, halaal or haraam. May Allah ta'ala grant us all absolute faith in His promises. Summa aameen.

mightyone
02-07-2014, 10:43 PM
The impossible is nothing...

Futuwwa
02-09-2014, 11:13 AM
If you become a hermit in the mountains you will not get married unless to a yeti. The choice is always yours. So you believe women should focus on a career, to gain wealth and security? Family comes later, procrastinate until you are rich and secure and old. So why bother being a Muslim? Why submit to your role of mother and homemaker by Gods decree, as you don't trust Allah to provide for you a good husband.
When did God decree such a thing?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!