/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Gabriel called the Spirit and not an angel?

QueenofHerts
07-13-2013, 02:15 AM
In this verse it says The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter.
Why is he called the spirit?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
QueenofHerts
07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Has no one ever questioned this? what do scholars say. I never heard of this before.

Abz2000
07-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Assalamu'alaikum,

Allah A'lam, it seems to - possibly - indicate Gabriel (as) since he's the angel of revelation.

The Quran tells us:

verse 102 of chapter 16. النحل in the Holy Quran

قُل نَزَّلَهُ روحُ القُدُسِ مِن رَبِّكَ بِالحَقِّ لِيُثَبِّتَ الَّذينَ ءامَنوا وَهُدًى وَبُشرىٰ لِلمُسلِمينَEnglish-YusufAli translation______________________________

Say, the Holy Spirit has brought the revelation from thy Lord in Truth, in order to strengthen those who believe, and as a Guide and Glad Tidings to Muslims.

------

HOWEVER THE LAST THING WE NEED TO DO IS DEBATE CONCERNING IT BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW AND THE SCHOLARS DON'T KNOW:

verse 85 of chapter 17. الإسراء in the Holy Quran

وَيَسـَٔلونَكَ عَنِ الرّوحِ ۖ قُلِ الرّوحُ مِن أَمرِ رَبّى وَما أوتيتُم مِنَ العِلمِ إِلّا قَليلًاEnglish-YusufAli translation______________________________

They ask thee concerning the Spirit. Say: \"The Spirit (cometh) by command of my Lord: And, of knowledge it is only a little that is communicated to you,

-----

Yet The above verse could be refering to any spirit,
Jesus pbuh is also referred to as a spirit proceeding from Him, also Allah (swt) supported Jesus pbuh with the Holy Spirit, and breathed into Adam (pbuh) of His spirit.
"I PERSONALLY BELIEVE IT SUFFICES TO JUST KNOW THAT WE CAN ONLY CONJECTURE ON SHAKY GROUND AND RISK FOLLOWING DOUBT:

verse 22 of chapter 18. الكهف in the Holy Quran
سَيَقولونَ ثَلٰثَةٌ رابِعُهُم كَلبُهُم وَيَقولونَ خَمسَةٌ سادِسُهُم كَلبُهُم ر بِالغَيبِ ۖ وَيَقولونَ سَبعَةٌ وَثامِنُهُم كَلبُهُم ۚ قُل رَبّى أَعلَمُ بِعِدَّتِهِم ما يَعلَمُهُم إِلّا قَليلٌ ۗ فَلا تُمارِ فيهِم إِلّا مِراءً ظٰهِرًا وَلا تَستَفتِ فيهِم مِنهُم أَحَدًاEnglish-YusufAli translation______________________________

(Some) say they were three, the dog being the fourth among them; (others) say they were five, the dog being the sixth,-
doubtfully guessing at the unknown; (yet others) say they were seven, the dog being the eighth.
Say thou: \"My Lord knoweth best their number; It is but few that know their (real case).\" Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear, nor consult any of them about (the affair of) the Sleepers.

-----

Any scholar worth his salt would run a mile from a question like that.

Peace

Ahmad H
07-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Ruh (Spirit) in the Qur'an has various meanings depending on the scholar, and depending on the verse of the Qur'an. I have seen many meanings for it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
07-17-2013, 01:23 AM
:salamext:

Have a look at these links :ia:
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/14403
http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/an..._ansar_al__adl

And Allaah :swt: knows best.

QueenofHerts
07-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks for your lots input

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!