/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Practicality..

jabraiyah
07-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Assalamu Aalaykum wa ramatuhAllahi wa barakatuh

brothers and sisters please help me to decide.

I live with my friend in apartment for a month and more, It was already my residence but I was out for 17 days, does it mean that it isn't my residence anymore?
Do I have to stay 10 days again straight to claim that It to be my residence again?.. I'm fasting and if I travel to go on that particular residence does it mean that I should cut my fast because I travel ? We are about to move in another apartment soon and I don't think I can complete the 10 days residency,but I really have to get out of my parents house. Please tell me what should I do, I'm really confused .. I don't wanna stay in my parents house because they aren't Muslim and actually all my relatives are against me in converting to Islam. Performing the holy month of Ramadhan would be really hard for me because they won't allow me to fast. I am just trying to be unnoticed.

thanks in Advance. ^__^..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
07-13-2013, 06:24 AM
:wa:

are u moving in same area ?

if not , it's allowed for a travellor to fast later but if possible u may also perform fasting now .

And Allah Knows Best.

jabraiyah
07-13-2013, 07:31 AM
20.3 kms away from my current place.
i don't wanna cut my fast isn't it forbidden to fast when you travel?

jabraiyah
07-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Assalamu Aalaykum wa ramatuhAllahi wa barakatuh

it is possible for me, i prefer to fast and complete the whole Ramadhan.
no problem but what I am thinking is that Do I have to stay 10 days still even it's already my residence before?

Thanks for response
:D:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
:sl:

If you are moving within the same city or a nearby city not more than 77 km away, then you are not considered as a traveler. The city is still your residence. It is not about the actual apartment, but it is about the city where you live in.

Fasting is allowed while traveling. You don't have to break your fast if you travel more than 77 km. It is optional for a traveler to break his fast, not compulsory.

But shortening the prayers while traveling is not optional. It is required for a traveler to shorten his prayer if he is traveling more than 48 miles.

jabraiyah
07-14-2013, 02:44 AM
:wa:

how about the 17days that i was out of that residence?

do i have to renew it ..Can you suggest any reliable site so i can checked myself please??
thank you so much brother ^__%..

crimsontide06
07-14-2013, 02:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jabraiyah
how about the 17days that i was out of that residence?

do i have to renew it ..Can you suggest any reliable site so i can checked myself please??
thank you so much brother ^__%..
The actual building you live in or sleep in has nothing to do with it....

The word traveling means....you are in California and you are going to let's say, Florida. That's on opposite ends of the country...THAT would be traveling..

walking 10 yards away from your doorstep or moving somewhere close to where you already live does not count as traveling.

AabiruSabeel
07-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Once you intend to permanently live in a city, then that city becomes your residence from day 1. Even if you travel far away for a few days, your original place of residence is still that city.

Now even if you return to your city for half a day, you will have to pray complete prayers and you cannot break your fast during that time.

Please see this link for details: http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?id=1003

www.sunniforum.com has a few scholars on board who can answer your questions in details :ia:.

jabraiyah
07-14-2013, 02:58 AM
No, 'coz I am living with my parents house today and it is 67.6 km away from my new apartment so doesn't count still .

jabraiyah
07-14-2013, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
The actual building you live in or sleep in has nothing to do with it....

The word traveling means....you are in California and you are going to let's say, Florida. That's on opposite ends of the country...THAT would be traveling..

walking 10 yards away from your doorstep or moving somewhere close to where you already live does not count as traveling.
Crimsontide06 'coz I am living with my parents house today and it is 67.6 km away from my new apartment so doesn't count still .
alright :)

thank you so much for the answers !!

more questions ahead
:sl: (intellect our self) ..

Muslim Woman
07-14-2013, 04:18 AM

Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. Is it allowable for a traveler whose work requires constant travels to shorten his Prayer and break fast in Ramadan? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Answer:

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
Dear questioner, it is a pleasure to receive your question, which reflects your eagerness to have a clearer understanding of the Islamic message. We hope our efforts, exerted purely for Allah’s sake, come up to your expectations.

Generally speaking, shortening the Prayer and breaking the fast of Ramadan while traveling are two legal concessions that portray Islam’s tolerance and simplicity in matters of worship. The Prophet used to shorten his Prayer whenever he was on a journey. He (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Allah likes His servants to undertake the legal concessions given to them in the same way as He likes them to observe their obligations.”

Answering your question, Sheikh `Atiyyah Saqr, former head of Al-Azhar Fatwa Committee, states:
It is well known that shortening Prayer is a legal concession given to a traveler, as Allah Almighty says: (And when ye go forth in the land, it is no sin for you to curtail (your) worship if ye fear that those who disbelieve may attack you.) (An-Nisaa': 101) Breaking the fast of Ramadan is another concession for the traveler; Allah Almighty says: (…And whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days.) (Al-Baqarah: 185)

Moreover, Abu Dawud reported the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “Allah has relieved a traveler from (the obligatory) fasting (in Ramadan) and half of the Prayers.” These concessions apply on fulfilling all the conditions that make a Muslim worthy of such concessions, as agreed by Muslim jurists.

Travel may be temporary or permanent. Permanent travel is one of two cases. The first case is that of a person who accompanies his family and all his needs in his travel [such as a nomad], and the second is a person who doesn't accompany his family, but his work requires him to constantly travel, such as the train engineers, pilots, and sailors.

A person whose travel is temporary has a legal concession to shorten Prayer and break the fast of Ramadan. But the one who travels along with his family and their requirements [such as a nomad] is considered a resident of the place he travels to and, thus, he is not allowed neither to shorten Prayer nor break the fast of Ramadan, unless fasting really endangers his health.

If it is so, he can break his fast. Breaking the fast of Ramadan may sometimes be obligatory if fasting leads one to his ruin.

It is recorded in Al-Mughni by Ibn Qudamah, in the section on Hanbali fiqh: Al-Athram said: I heard Abu `Abdullah Ahmad ibn Hanbal being asked whether a sailor is allowed to shorten Prayer and break the fast of Ramadan when he is on board the ship. He answered: “If the ship is his home, then he is to perform all the Rak`ahs of Prayer without shortening and fast in Ramadan.” He was asked: “How can the ship be his home?” He answered: “That he has no other residence, and he and his family live on it.” `Ata' also has the same opinion.

In Sharh Ash-Sharqawi `ala At-Tahrir, in the section on Shafi`i fiqh: It is not permissible for a person who travels constantly to break the fast of Ramadan, for this means abandoning the obligatory fasting of Ramadan completely, unless he intends to make up for the broken fast days on other days during his travel. But a person who travels a lot alone due to his job requirements is permitted to shorten Prayer and break the fast of Ramadan. This is because such a man necessarily spends some days at home. Hence he can make up for the broken fast days of Ramadan.
The Hanafi scholars of fiqh maintain that shortening Prayer in this case is the original rule, and whoever performs Prayers fully has no right to combine them. (Fatawa Sheikh Gadul-Haqq)

Country Of Origin : Egypt

Fatawa Issuing Body : Islam Online
Author/Scholar : Sheikh `Atiyyah Saqr
Date Of Issue : 27/Oct/2004

Note: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503547544

http://infad.usim.edu.my/modules.php...ticle&sid=4392

Muslim Woman
07-14-2013, 04:24 AM

The distance by which a traveller may shorten his prayers
Question:

What is the distance by which a traveller may shorten his prayers? Is combining them permissible rather than shortening them?
Answer:

The distance by which the prayers are shortened; some scholars specified it to be around 83 kilometers. Other scholars specified it to be whatever is customarily considered traveling, even if he (the traveler) did not go beyond 80 kilometers. And whatever the people consider not to be traveling, then it is not traveling even if it reached 100 kilometers.

This last (opinion) is the opinion of Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah ra and that is because Allaah did not define a specific distance by which shortening the prayers is allowed nor did the Prophet (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã) specify an exact distance.

Anas ibn Maalik ra said:

“The Prophet pbuh; whenever he went out for 3 miles or Faraasikh (a measurement of length) then he used to shorten the prayer and pray two Rak’aats.” [1]

The statement of Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah is closer to what is correct. There is also no hardship, whenever there is a difference in what is customarily considered traveling, if the person acts according to the statement of the specific, defined distance because some of the Imaams and scholars sincerely striving towards a verdict (Mujtahideen) have said it. So there is no problem, In shaa Allaah. As long as the issue is left undefined, then acting in accordance to what is customarily considered travel is the correct opinion.

As for (the question), “Is combining (the prayers) permissible when shortening is allowed?” Then we say, “Combining (the prayers) is not associated with shortening. Rather, combining is associated with a need.” So whenever the person needs to combine whether he is traveling or not, then let him combine. For this, the people combine because of rain, which due to it; it would be a hardship to return to the masaajid. Also, the people combine if there is harsh, cold wind during the days of winter, which due to it, it would be a hardship to go out to the masaajid.

He combines if he fears losing his wealth or any harm in it, or whatever is similar to that - the person combines (his prayers). It is reported in Saheeh Muslim from ‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Abbaas (ÑÖì Çááå ÚäåãÇ) that he said:

“The Prophet pbuh combined between Dhuhr and ‘Asr, and between Maghrib and Ishaa not due to any fear nor rain.” [2]

They asked, “Why did he do this?” He said that he did so in order not to cause any hardship upon his Ummah. Meaning, he did not want to place any hardship that would make one leave the congregation.
This is the condition - whenever the person finds a hardship which would lead him to leave off the congregation, then it is permissible for him to combine. If there is no hardship upon him, then he doesn’t combine. However, traveling is most likely to place a hardship which would lead to leaving the congregation. If this is so, then it is permissible for the traveler to combine whether he was in the middle of his journey or has stopped to reside (at his destination). If he is in the middle of his journey, then combining is preferable and if he has stopped traveling (reached his destination) then not combining is preferable.

The exception to this is when a person is residing (reached a destination) in a land where the congregation is established, then it is obligatory to attend the congregation. In that case, he would not combine nor shorten (his prayers). However, if he missed the congregation, then he shortens and does not combine, unless he needs to combine (for some reason).

NOTES
[1] Reported by Muslim, The Book of The Traveler’s Prayer, Chapter: The Prayer of the Traveler, no. 691. [2] Reported by Muslim, The Book of The Traveler’s Prayer, Chapter: Combining Between Two Prayers While Residing, no. 705.
Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen
Fataawaa Arkaan al-Islaam, Number 312
http://www.masjiduthaymeen.org

jabraiyah
07-14-2013, 07:17 AM

thank you brothers and sisters..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!