/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan fast - all or nothing?

glo
07-13-2013, 08:00 PM
I have been a member in this forum for a long while and I think I understand the Islamic fast quite well.

But there is a question I have wondered about for a while. And that's why a the fasting day become totally invalid as soon as the fast has been broken.
For example, just one sip of water will invalidate the fast.

As a non-Muslim if I had fasted all day and then took one sip of water or ate a morsel (for example during cooking), then I would feel inclined to continue fasting and hope that God would still see my effort and intention.
But Islam does not see it that way.

Can somebody explain where the Qu'ran or hadith the breaking and invalidating of the fast is mentioned?

(P.S. I don't mean accidental breaking of the fast, but intentional)

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
07-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Any act of worship must be done in accordance to what has been taught by Allah :swt: and His Messenger :saws:. If you keep fast for a day, and then take a sip of water in the middle, then you are giving way to your desire and hunger/thirst and not fulfilling the purpose of the fast by obeying the command of Allah.

A fast does not remain a fast when you eat and drink as you please. It does not require more than common sense to understand that.
A Muslim is one who submits his will completely before the Will of Allah :swt:

Allah :swt: says:
... Then complete the fast until the sunset. ... [002:187]

aflawedbeing
07-13-2013, 09:03 PM
As above.
Though if the morsel of food, or bit of water was 100% unintentional, doesn't the fast continue?
Allahu alim. Serious question.

ardianto
07-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Greeting, Glo

The wisdom behind fasting is ability to hold ourselves from anything that prohibited. Drink and eat are two things that prohibited to do when fasting. Then if someone drink a sip of water intentionally, of course he have been failed in his effort to hold himself from the things that prohibited. Yes, his fast become invalid.

About verse and hadith related to break the fast intentionally. I think other members can give better answer.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
07-13-2013, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aflawedbeing
As above.
Though if the morsel of food, or bit of water was 100% unintentional, doesn't the fast continue?
If someone drink or eat accidentally or because forget, his fast still valid and can be continued.

Hamza Asadullah
07-13-2013, 09:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I have been a member in this forum for a long while and I think I understand the Islamic fast quite well.

But there is a question I have wondered about for a while. And that's why a the fasting day become totally invalid as soon as the fast has been broken.

As a non-Muslim if I had fasted all day and then took one sip of water or ate a morsel (for example during cooking), then I would feel inclined to continue fasting and hope that God would still see my effort and intention.

Can somebody explain where the Qu'ran or hadith the breaking and invalidating of the fast is mentioned?

Thank you.
Greetings Glo

It really depends on the way you are looking at this. A non Muslim would not view the prayer or fast as obligatory upon them and so therefore will not feel the need to fulfill the fast and prayer the way a Muslim does. Whereas a Muslim views the prayer and fast as obligatory and therefore will fulfill the rules and regulations around fulfilling the obligation of fast and prayer in the way our Lord has ordained upon us.

Also if a person was to be so lenient in the way they fulfill a particular act of worship then it will take the importance away from the act. Fasting to us is a most sacred act of worship decreed by our Lord the exalted one for us to fulfill in the best way possible in accordance with how he wants us to fulfill it. If we were allowee to have a sip of water here and there or a morsel of food then it would not be a fast as we would just sip or eat whenever we felt like we needed to.

Feeling hunger, thirst and tiredness is an important part of fasting as it helps us to be able to control our desires for the pleasure of our Lord in order to gain a fearful awareness of him (Taqwa). So if we give into our desires then we are not fulfilling the purpose of our fasts. It also helps us to feel the way the poor do. They cannot have a sip of water or a morsel of food whenever they feel like it.

So know that fasting is more than just not eating and drinking for a short while. It is controlling of ones desires in order to create a fearful awareness of him so that we may better ourselves in everyway possible. We fulfill it properly like our Lord wants us to and in return we feel closeness to our Lord the compassionate most merciful.

Hope that helped.

Muhaba
07-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Verses about fasting are in Chapter Al-Baqarah, verses 183 - 187. Verse 187 state:
...And eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct to you from the black thread [of night]. Then complete the fast until the sunset...

A fast is only a fast if you follow all the rules related to it. If you don't, then the fast is no longer a fast. How can you drink something or eat a bit and still say you're fasting? But the power to fast correctly comes with faith. Once you have the faith of Islam you'll not only be able to fast but also will immensely enjoy doing it. Fasting will no longer become a burden but a thing you enjoy. But you need the faith of Islam to feel that spirituality. Fasting is the third pillar of Islam after the testimony (that there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah) and 5 obligatory daily prayers.

MustafaMc
07-13-2013, 11:26 PM
And that's why a the fasting day become totally invalid as soon as the fast has been broken.
The Islamic acts of worship are prescribed to us by Allah (swt) as communicated to us through Prophet Muhammad (saaws). I am sure it seems legalistic to Christians and other non-Muslims, but there are many details to each act of worship. Intentionally not following even one small portion of the sunnah of Muhammad (saaws) does not reflect a spirit of obedience, but rather one of rebellion. The intention determines the merit of any deed and we fast for the sake of Allah (swt) in obedience to Him.

AabiruSabeel
07-14-2013, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aflawedbeing
As above.

Eating or drinking forgetfully does not break the fast. But if you suddenly remember that you are fasting, then you must stop immediately. Otherwise the fast will be broken.

Accidentally eating (while fully aware of your fast) breaks the fast. For example, if you swallow some water while rinsing the mouth, then that breaks the fast and it requires a make up fast later on.

Please note the difference between forgetfully eating and accidental eating. In the first case, the person is not aware that he is fasting while eating/drinking. In the second case, he is fully aware that he fasting but mistakenly swallows something.

Please see the following threads for more details: http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...ll=1#post18036

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...l=1#post510670

greenhill
07-14-2013, 06:24 AM
From what I have read and understand, fasting used to also apply to Christians, Jews alike over Easter or Lent. But over the years it has been modified and changed where the festival remains but the practice has disappeared.

Pope St. Leo (d. 461) preached that the faithful must "fulfill with their fasts the Apostolic institution of the 40 days,"

In Jerusalem, for instance, people fasted for 40 days, Monday through Friday, but not on Saturday or Sunday, thereby making Lent last for eight weeks. In Rome and in the West, people fasted for six weeks, Monday through Saturday,

These Lenten fasting rules also evolved. Eventually, a smaller repast was allowed during the day to keep up one's strength from manual labor. Eating fish was allowed, and later eating meat was also allowed through the week except on Ash Wednesday and Friday. Dispensations were given for eating dairy products if a pious work was performed, and eventually this rule was relaxed totally.

The spirit of fasting is that nothing enters the throat apart from the air you breathe and no relaxation of the laws for 'conveniences' sake. And apart from not eating, we must also control our thoughts, desires and temper.

Once 'adjustments' to the laws are allowed or tolerated, then the chances of the fasting being reduced to the likes of Lent will be very likely. At the end of the day it boils down to intention and we cannot intentionally do things that will negate the effort of fasting.

MustafaMc
07-14-2013, 10:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Once 'adjustments' to the laws are allowed or tolerated, then the chances of the fasting being reduced to the likes of Lent will be very likely.
What you wrote reminded me of the story of the Dutch boy who stuck his finger in a crack in a dike in Holland.

The Little Dutch Boy

by Peter Miller
Dutch legend has it that there was once a small boy who upon passing a dyke on his way to school noticed a slight leak as the sea trickled in through a small hole. Knowing that he would be in trouble if he were to be late for school, the boy pocked his finger into the hole and so stemmed the flow of water. Some time later a passerby saw him and went to get help. This came in the form of other men who were able to effect repairs on the dyke and seal up the leak.

This story is told to children to teach them that if they act quickly and in time, even they with their limited strength and resources can avert disasters. The fact that the Little Dutch Boy used his finger to stop the flow of water, is used as an illustration of self-sacrifice. The physical lesson is also taught: a small trickle of water soon becomes a stream and the stream a torrent and the torrent a flood sweeping all before it, Dyke material, roadways and cars, and even railway tracks and bridges and whole trains. http://www.pantheon.org/articles/l/l...dutch_boy.html

With all of the posts about women leading prayer, being more receptive to homosexuals and slight tolerances in breaking a fast I am reminded of this myth about the Dutch boy and our collective Islamic duty to stick our fingers in these 'dike cracks' before the whole of Islam is compromised in the way Christianity has deviated from the practice of Jesus' Jewish disciples to become merely a system of beliefs.

Insaanah
07-14-2013, 12:36 PM
That's because you're thinking from a Christian's point of view, where the rules and regulations have been lost, and each person does what they personally think is right, yet still hoping for God's mercy.

But, praise be to Allah, in Islam, the rules are all preserved, so we all follow the same rules worldwide.

Secondly, as a non-Muslim, you wouldn't have taqwa, which is hard to translate into English, but God consciousness being an approximation.

Thirdly, you're not aware of the importance of fasting, rewards of fasting, and great pleasure of Allah to be incurred by those who go hungry for His sake.

Fourthly, we love Allah, and part of expressing that love is to obey Allah and the Prophet :saws:

Fifthly, it is a pillar of Islam, so we would not purposely try to undermine the very foundations of our faith, go against them and yet still demand that despite our wilful disobedience that God should still accept our fast.

Would you purposely weaken/damage the foundations of your house, and then expect that your house should suffer no subsidence and be exactly as stable as it was before? So why do that for something that determines your eternal abode? It might just seem slight, but what would you do when after prolonged periods of this, your house came crashing down on you, destroying what and who was in it?

If this attitude was exhibited to fasting, it would permeate all matters of faith, such as prayer, (doesn't matter if I miss a few), almsgiving (doesn't matter if I don't give this year), which begs the question, are you really a Muslim? Which in your case, the answer is clearly no.

Sixthly, during fasting hours in Ramadan, our pleasure is in fasting, not in eating. We wouldn't want to eat or drink, no matter how hungry or thirsty.

Seventhly as a poor analogy, even games have rules, eg in tennis, the ball cannot go outside the lines, otherwise the point is invalid - you lose the point. If an umpire decided that the ball is out but the hitter will get the point anyway, is that correct? Everyone would wonder what he was doing, because the rules are there for a reason, to be followed. So why do we make excuses when it comes to our faith?

When a person desires to obey and please God, and loves God and the Prophet :saws: and Islam, and knows that fasting was the way of the previous prophets, such a thought could never enter one's head.

To wilfully break your fast and then expect that God should see your effort and intention (the intention being to break the rules) and accept the fast, is a mockery of fasting.

It is common for non-Muslims to look at certain Islamic beliefs with the view that God is very hard and unforgiving, and to say, "Well if you did xyz, I'm sure God would forgive that." In Christianity, this is coming from a God who did not forgive Adam (peace be upon him) and instead made Adam and all subsequent generations undergo a punishment and severance from Him, and to be born into a state of sin, with nothing you can do about it save to accept a saviour.

With fasting there are rules that we follow. However, for arguments sake it is not even as complicated as that. As brother ibṉĀdam pointed out

A fast does not remain a fast when you eat and drink as you please. It does not require more than common sense to understand that.

~Zaria~
07-14-2013, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ibṉĀdam

A Muslim is one who submits his will completely before the Will of Allah :swt:
Greetings,

^ These lines reminded me of the following wise words:

Break your fast a few minutes early?
by Hazrat Maulana Yunus Patel Saheb (rahmatullah alayh)

For many years, without fail, I have been giving an example in the month of Ramadaan, that at the end of a very, very hot and long day of Summer, a person is sitting at the dastarkhaan (table cloth), close to the time of Iftaar, waiting patiently to open his fast. There is just 3 minutes left for the setting of the sun when he is told:

"Eat! .. , What difference will it make if you break your fast now? What is another 2 or 3 minutes? ... You have already stayed away from food and drink for almost 15 -~ 16 hours."

Even if this happens to be the weakest Muslim, in respect to obeying Allah Ta'ala, he will respond:

"It is the ruling of the Qur'aan and the Ahadith that I break my fast after the setting of the sun and not before that time. It is the command of Allah Ta'ala and I cannot disobey Him."

The weakest person's Imaan becomes so strong at this stage of his fast, that he will not break his fast. He will refuse to break his fast, even if the world's great personalities have to say so.

http://www.islamicboard.com/fasting-...hmatullah.html

SubhanAllah, it is indeed something interesting to ponder over....

Why is it that even those who have very weak imaans, who may not observe many other faraa'id (compulsory) acts of worship, who openly transgress so many other commands of Allah, and without any remorse thereof - are able to remain so steadfast when it comes to fasting.

Why is it that we behave in this manner?

Perhaps it stems from the following:
1. We are acutely aware of the great significance and many blessings that Allah has bestowed us with in this month.
So, alhamdulillah, this month motivates us ALL to draw closer to Allah.

SubhanAllah, you will find that even those who never wore hijab for the rest of the year, who seldom prayed, who cared little for reading the Quraan, who did not try to help the poor.......almost everyone tries that much harder to repent and to try to change some their bad behaviors (generally).

And so too with the act of fasting - there is a heightened sense of taqwa (consciousness of Allah) for even the weakest amongst us.

2. When we do not fulfill other obligations in Islam, e.g missing salaah, zakaat, showing kindness to parents, etc...in most cases, the recompense is relatively easy upon us: sincere repentance from Allah and those who we have wronged and then making up those obligations that were neglected.

However, when it comes to the fast of Ramadaan, the penalty for intentionally missing a fast is much more heavier (e.g to fast 60 consecutive days/ feed 60 persons depending on the situation).

^ as with many things in life, when the deterrent is more weighty, then rate of obedience is also greater.

Perhaps for these reasons (as well as others that have already been mentioned), we find that the fast of Ramadaan is one of those commands from Allah, that muslims in general, seem to fair quite well in (alhamdulillah, for we are not doing too well in most of the other fields).

This month is a mercy upon all Muslims.
Allah dearly wants us to draw closer to Him, and to forgive us and has provided us soo many opportunities to earn great rewards for the aakhirah. Which is why the Night of Power is found in this month as well....

However, the question we should be asking, is what prevents us from truly 'submitting' to the will of Allah at ALL other times (and not just during fasting)?

As Moulana Patel (ra) has asked in his article:

Is it not the Hukm, the Command of that same Allah, to perform Salaah five times a day and for the men, in the Musijd, in Jamaat as far as possible?

Is it not the Command of that same Allah to correctly discharge our Zakaah, perform Haj, treat our parents with love and respect, be faithful to our wives and treat them with compassion and vice versa for the wives, be honest in our business dealings and be kind and just to those under our authority?
May Allah (subhanawata'ala) grant us the strength and guidance to be those servants who submit to Him at ALL times.
Ameen.

glo
07-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Thank you for all your comments and replies. I didn't expect so many. :)

As a side note to greenhill, fasting is certainly quite common and well practiced in Christianity, although perhaps differently in different denominations. But it is quite different to the Islamic Ramadan fast. Hence I was particularly interested in this concept which I have referred to as all-or-nothing.

Thanks again for all you replies ... and keep on fasting :)

ardianto
07-14-2013, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~

Break your fast a few minutes early?
by Hazrat Maulana Yunus Patel Saheb (rahmatullah alayh)

For many years, without fail, I have been giving an example in the month of Ramadaan, that at the end of a very, very hot and long day of Summer, a person is sitting at the dastarkhaan (table cloth), close to the time of Iftaar, waiting patiently to open his fast. There is just 3 minutes left for the setting of the sun when he is told:

"Eat! .. , What difference will it make if you break your fast now? What is another 2 or 3 minutes? ... You have already stayed away from food and drink for almost 15 -~ 16 hours."
It's like a man running in marathon, but he stop and decide to out from running only few meters before finish line.

glo
07-14-2013, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
A non Muslim would not view the prayer or fast as obligatory upon them and so therefore will not feel the need to fulfill the fast and prayer the way a Muslim does. Whereas a Muslim views the prayer and fast as obligatory and therefore will fulfill the rules and regulations around fulfilling the obligation of fast and prayer in the way our Lord has ordained upon us.
Yes, that makes sense. For me fasting would be an offering or a gift I make to God. Therefore however well I manage or whatever I can give is going to be good.

But for Muslims fasting is an obligation, hence it must be done according to God's instructions or it is invalid.

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
It's like a man running in marathon, but he stop and decide to out from running only few meters before finish line.
I like that analogy. So this man has not completed the race and hence does not receive a reward.

And yet, is he not to be commended for all the effort he has made?

Thanks, all. I am enjoying mulling this over. :)

ardianto
07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
I like that analogy. So this man has not completed the race and hence does not receive a reward.

In my analogy this man was able to finish his run, but he decided to stop only few meters before finish line.

Do you know, mostly of Muslims in my place who do not finish his fast in Ramadan day actually are able to finish it, but they are succumbed to the shaytan whisper.

:)

Insaanah
07-14-2013, 09:45 PM
But for Muslims fasting is an obligation, hence it must be done according to God's instructions or it is invalid.
Not all fasting is obligatory. We have many optional fasts as mentioned here, when we had a discussion about fasting before:

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ml#post1352072

However, there are rules on fasting so we don't make it up as we go along, doing what we think is best, because we have the original guidance from God and his prophet :saws: on how best to live every aspect of our lives.

Hulk
07-14-2013, 09:52 PM
If I give you a cup of clean water, then I put in a drop of impure liquid (wherever it may be from), would you still consider it a cup of clean water?

"O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint,-"
Quran Sura Baqara Verse 183

One of the reasons we fast is to learn self-restraint, no matter how much you want to have that little bit of food you will say no to yourself because you know you are fasting. If you go by the rule that it's ok to have a small bite and then continue your fast, well then that sort of defeats the purpose of learning self-restraint isn't it.

A new muslim who is fasting might for example fail at fasting no matter how hard he tries but he end up eating a small piece of candy. Yes, it invalidates his fast but do you think that in his mind he's thinking "since it's already invalidated I might as well have a feast."?

He would most likely try to continue his day not eating/drinking since he is still trying to learn self-restraint. He can pay back the fast at a future date.

Just because we go by the rule that fasting actually means fasting doesn't mean that God doesn't look at our effort and intention. He knows our weaknesses better than we do.

If I understand correctly, your view seems to be "Unless I can do it my way without being told when and how to do it, it is not sincere.".

You also seem to think that just because one might fail in his fast then his intentions and efforts are not seen by God, why does it have to mean that? It just means that he has to pay back the fast at a future date.

If you view fasting as a gift to God then shouldn't you be giving the best top quality gift? If we want to give a gift, shouldn't we at least make sure that it is proper?

AabiruSabeel
07-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Intentionally breaking the fast is, as described by brother Mustafa earlier, rebellion. And rebels are punished, not rewarded.

If someone breaks his fast unintentionally, or forgetfully, or because of a valid reason, then he is duly rewarded for his efforts. There is no doubt in that.

[2:120] Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion. Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance." Wert thou to follow their desires after the knowledge which hath reached thee, then wouldst thou find neither Protector nor helper against Allah.

SadaqAllahu wa Rasooluh
Indeed, Allah and His Messenger has spoken the truth.

Al-Mufarridun
07-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Thank you.
Greetings Glo,

They say one of the greatest threats, enemies to all your hard work and discipline is using your previous accomplishments and hard work to justify small slip-ups. This is a very slippery slope. If these types of slip ups were allowed, there would be no religion left.

Brother Artianto used the example of the marathon runner, i would also compare it to a student who excels in his/her class but intentionally misses the final exam.

“Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear…” (Qur’an, 2:286).

All that is asked of you is to do your best, to be sincere and consistent.

glo
07-15-2013, 06:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
If you view fasting as a gift to God then shouldn't you be giving the best top quality gift? If we want to give a gift, shouldn't we at least make sure that it is proper?
I like that. :statisfie

Self-discipline is something Islam has taught me and I have very much come to appreciate.

greenhill
07-15-2013, 08:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
What you wrote reminded me of the story of the Dutch boy who stuck his finger in a crack in a dike in Holland.
That is quite a stretch of imagination.... but I see your point. Let's plug up all the potential 'loopholes'! :D

As a side note to greenhill, fasting is certainly quite common and well practiced in Christianity, although perhaps differently in different denominations.
In my 10 years in the UK, I did not meet anyone that fasted during the month of Lent. (I didn't have very many muslim friends and 95% were Christians) Perhaps I was in the wrong Christian country to observe fasting? :p

But it is quite different to the Islamic Ramadan fast. Hence I was particularly interested in this concept which I have referred to as all-or-nothing.
I wonder why, considering it came off the same tree.... (so to speak)? I'm sure it was the same but the changes over time made it different. But then again, at the end of the day, it is all or nothing, you either fast or don't, other combination would be called 'dieting', believe or don't, submit or not, you are either in heaven or hell, there's no half way there. Or is there? :phew

Peace

Aisha
07-17-2013, 11:20 PM
The following article has been compiled by Jamiatul Ulama in South Africa. I think it serves as a very important reminder of why we fast. As we can see, it's not just about leaving food and drink. Thus, if a person was to break their fast, it means they haven't really understood the importance of it.

18 REASONS WHY MUSLIMS FAST IN RAMADAN

O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint. [Quran 2:183]

Ramadan is a month of fasting and prayers for the Muslims. The fast consists of total abstinence from food and drink from dawn to dusk. There is, however, a greater significance to fasts than mere abstinence from eating and drinking. The real objective of fasts is to inculcate in man the spirit of abstinence from sins and of cultivation of virtue. Thus the Qur'an declares that the fasts have been prescribed with a view to developing piety in man, as is clear from the verse quoted at the top of this page.

How are the many facets of piety sought to be cultivated through the fasts?

1. The prime consideration in undertaking fast, as in any act of devotion, is to seek nearness to God and beseech His pleasure and forgiveness. This itself generates a spirit of piety in man.

2. The willful creation of the stringent conditions of hunger and thirst for one's own self, simply in obedience to the Divine Order, measures the faith of man in God and helps to strengthen it by putting it to a severe test.

3. Fasting enhances through creation of artificial non-availability, the value of the bounties of God, which man is apt to take for granted in the midst of plentiful availability, and thus inculcates in man a spirit of gratitude and consequent devotion to God. Nothing else can bring home to man the worth of God's bounties than a glass of water and a square meal after a day‑long fast. This also reminds man that the real joy in enjoying God's bounties lies in moderation and restraint and not in over indulgence.

4. Fasting makes us deeply conscious of the pangs of hunger and discomfort suffered by the less fortunate among our brethren, who may have to put up with such stringent conditions all through their lives it thus enkindles in man a spirit of sacrifice leading to charity towards his suffering brethren.

5. Fasting affords man an unfailing training in endurance i.e. a spirit of acceptance of the inevitable, which could well prepare him to put up with the unchangeable situations in life in the same spirit of resignation as cultivated during the fasts.

6. Fasting develops courage, fortitude and a fighting spirit in man to surmount the heavy odds in life with a cool and tranquil mind. It sharpens his, power of concentration to overcome obstacles, through a vigorous exercise all through the month, leading to a steeling of his will power and resolve, which could help him in trying situations in actual life. It is seen that many an undesirable habit which is found hard to leave, is more easily left off during the days of fasting.

7. Fasting teaches man reliance on God and confidence in Him in facing the bitter situations in life with the comforting thought that these too, ordained by Him, could well be surmounted through His assistance alone, even as the rigorous state of fasting for a complete month. For, fasting develops the quality of patience in man, with the realization that, as the days of fasting, though seeming unending do have a successful and, so are all the bitter situations in life. It therefore infuses a spirit of good cheer, (driving away bitterness and despair) in his attitude towards life and in his demeanor towards others.

8. Through quick alternation of the state of plenty and of scarcity, fasting seeks to inculcate in man the right type of attitude in different situations in life of gratitude and thanksgiving in plenty and of patience and forbearance in difficulty.

9. Fasting is meant to conquer anger, not to augment it, and to develop self control in man; for the vigorous effort of willfully putting up with a continued state of hunger and thirst can well be extended to conquer other infirmities of human character that lead man into error and sin.

10. Fasting inculcates a spirit of tolerance in man to face unpleasant conditions and situations without making his fellow-being the victim of his wrath on account of his adverse conditions, such as deprivation of his basic needs of life, which constitutes the common cause of dissension among men.

11. Fasting mellows a man and enhances his character, giving jolt to the human instincts of pride, haughtiness, envy and ambition, for when fasting, a man's energies are too sapped to follow these instincts which are the chief causes of discord and conflict among men.

12. Fasting exposes the weakness of man in the event of his being deprived of but two of the bounties of God those of food and drink; it thus infuses in him a spirit of meekness and submission, generating humility and prayer in an otherwise arrogant man.

13. Fasting breathes the spirit of forgiveness in man towards his subordinates, as he himself seeks God's forgiveness through fasts and prayers.

14. Fasting affords lessons in punctuality through man's strict adherence to various time schedules in the observance of fasts and offering of prayers.

15. Fasting can be made to effect economy in an individual's life, which can be extended to wider spheres.

16. Fasting enforces in man rigid discipline mental, spiritual and physical a trait of character which forms an essential ingredient to success in human life.

17. Fasting provides leisure, that could he gainfully employed in devotional or intellectual pursuits. The month long duration of fasts creates a proper climate for the spiritual reformation in man, infusing in him a spirit of enthusiasm and zest to turn over a new leaf an opportunity provided every year.

18. On the physical side, fasting cleanses the human system of the accumulated impurities of uninterrupted eating throughout the year. It prepares the body for toughness and hardihood to face disease or conditions of scarcity. The rigid abstinence that the fast provides, regulates man's health, sharpens has intellect, gives spurt to his spiritually and enhances the qualities of his heart. With the cleansing of the human body, it paves the way for its easy and effective rebuilding through meals at the end of the day or after the month is over.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!