/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Redirecting the Sun.....

~Zaria~
07-16-2013, 09:00 PM
:salam:

I hope everyone is having an excellent Ramadaan in shaa Allah.

This will probably sound like a silly question....:hiding:

But it's really important....
And I've been taught that there's no such thing as 'silly questions' :P.....so here goes....

Is there any humanly way of re-directing the sun into ones home?

I live in a south-facing apartment - which means that I get no direct sun-rays, the entire day.

Which means I am unable to sit/ be exposed to the sun (both outdoors and indoors)....
Which means that Im struggling to meet my vitamin D requirements each day imsad

Are there any solutions out there for south-facing homes?
Maybe mirrors or prisms.....or something?

Will really appreciate any suggestions (short of moving house :/)

:jz:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crimsontide06
07-16-2013, 09:44 PM
I don't think you can re-direct the sun's light but you can go to where the light is...that is the only option I can think of.

Muhaba
07-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Sit on the roof? or go to park?

sister herb
07-16-2013, 10:18 PM
If you can´t get enough sun, you may get D vitamin from food too, like from different kind of fish, eggs or mushrooms. And don´t forget the good old way: cod-liver oil (just make sure it is gelatin-free if you use capsules).

(Yes I remember it very well from my childhood: it tasted as yuk :X )

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ahmad H
07-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Just take Vitamin D supplements. But go outside. Nothing is a substitution for the natural absorption of the sun's rays. You don't even need to be in the sun for more than 10-15 minutes I think. Look it up on Google. If you are short on time then schedule it. But do go outside to absorb the sunlight. If you don't live in a country with a lack of sunlight, then you should have all the available vitamin D intake daily and not worry about supplements.

Iceee
07-17-2013, 12:00 AM
You need less than an hour outside a day to get vitamin D, you could get skin cancer by just sitting around all day in the sun. By that, just go outside for a walk or go to the park with your family and kick a big bouncy ball around (that's what I do) maybe after Iftar and before Isha.

Eat mushrooms, eggs, and seafoods.

Stay healthy by going jogging in the morning before Fajr maybe with your spouse or by yourself and lots of water. Or wait until Ramadan ends and you can run all day.

It's really hot here in Toronto Canada, be happy you don't get much sun. You may regret it just like the people here; they say it's so hot outside right now, and then in the Winter, they say it is so cold outside. When it rains, they wish there was sun, when it's sunny, they want some clouds...^o)^o)^o)

fadel11
07-17-2013, 12:06 AM
your body can't convert the sunlight to cholestrol and to the fat cells if you are just exposing your face or your hands. all of your body must be exposed in order to get the benefits and you have to take vitamin d with calcium because they work together. if you are going to by a vitamin d supplement then don't buy the synthetic vitamin d supplement. buy cod liver oil because it contains vitamin a,d but be sure it's natural. dont be afraid to take more than 1000 IU. pharmacies countries always give something to fight the virus. they dont make a cure because they want us to all pay. ALLAH SWT said for every diesease there is a medicine. they hide all the real cure, this is just an advice.

Ahmad H
07-17-2013, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
It's really hot here in Toronto Canada, be happy you don't get much sun.
I know what you mean. I look like this right now :phew

sister herb
07-17-2013, 08:56 AM
You may regret it just like the people here; they say it's so hot outside right now, and then in the Winter, they say it is so cold outside. When it rains, they wish there was sun, when it's sunny, they want some clouds...^o)^o)^o)
Just like people say in here too... :giggling:

Ok, from food you can get D vitamin by food but when you get it from sun, you will also get healthy fresh air (if you don´t live in area with very much air pollution of course). :statisfie

marwen
07-17-2013, 12:03 PM
This reminds me of an article I read about redirecting sun in a small village in Italy which was lying at the bottom of a mountain.
Italian Village Builds Giant Mirror to Combat 83 Days of Darkness

They used a giant mirror .

sister herb
07-17-2013, 12:40 PM
^^ Great idea. Now only what sister Zaria needs is few huge mirrors... :D

aflawedbeing
07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Or she could move...

No?

~Zaria~
07-17-2013, 08:58 PM

:jz: for all the responses. Really appreciate them!

I didn't expect this thread to be focused on vitamin D, but rather as the title says - how to "redirect the sun" :p

However, with regards to vitamin D specifically:

format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
Sit on the roof? or go to park?
I have been diagnosed with severe vit d deficiency a few months ago, and have most of the symptoms of osteomalacia (which I think I'm still in denial about imsad....)

Since then, I have tried to change my lifestyle/ diet, etc to some extent.

Unfortunately I can't find a public area that is safe as well as private enough to be able to adequately expose myself to the sun.

In my building, the domestic helpers, other workers and strangers have their quarters on the roof-top.....so I don't feel safe sitting there alone.
We have a park down my street.....but again, is the issue of safety and not being able to expose myself in public.

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
If you can´t get enough sun, you may get D vitamin from food too, like from different kind of fish, eggs or mushrooms. And don´t forget the good old way: cod-liver oil (just make sure it is gelatin-free if you use capsules).

(Yes I remember it very well from my childhood: it tasted as yuk :X )
Cod-liver oil +o(

(I may give the cod liver capsules a try in shaa Allah......I hope I can tolerate it. At the moment, I'm gagging each morning on my vit D/ K/ calcium combination tablet because it's so large to swallow (and it still does not contain the recommended daily doses :/ )

90% of vit D is obtained from the sun, and there are few food sources that contain large amounts of vit d by themselves.

Table 3 on this page: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vit...hProfessional/
Provides the vit d content and percentage daily values obtained from some food sources.

Apart from 1 tablespoon of cod-liver oil +o(, 3 ounces of swordfish (I don't think I hv ever eaten this fish) and 3 ounces of Salmon Per day - the rest of the food sources do not contain as much vit d/ it needs to be consumed in large amounts on a daily basis (which is not very practical).

E.g 1 egg only contains 10% of the recommended daily requirements (which is between 600iu -800iu/day).
So one needs to either eat 10 eggs/ day or combine them with other listed foods that are high in cholesterol/ fattening.....to be able to reach the required vit d doses per day.

I don't have weight/ cholesterol issues at the moment, but I certainly will have them on this type of long-term diet :exhausted:

format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmad H
Just take Vitamin D supplements. But go outside. Nothing is a substitution for the natural absorption of the sun's rays. You don't even need to be in the sun for more than 10-15 minutes I think. Look it up on Google. If you are short on time then schedule it. But do go outside to absorb the sunlight. If you don't live in a country with a lack of sunlight, then you should have all the available vitamin D intake daily and not worry about supplements.
It's recommended to be in the sun for 5-30 min per day, with the arms, legs and face exposed (or back).
In real terms, the duration needs to be a lot longer - esp in winter, depending on over-cast conditions, ones weight and complexion etc.

It may sound weird, but it's not easy to find a safe, women's only type of sports/ recreation centre where one can dress down and enjoy the sun to its full.

Stay healthy by going jogging in the morning before Fajr maybe with your spouse or by yourself and lots of water. Or wait until Ramadan ends and you can run all day.
I live in South Africa....I would likely get mugged or worse, if I jog alone here....

Do muslim women jog in public?....it doesn't feel appropriate :/

.....And so, this is why I'm trying to find a way to enjoy the sun in the privacy of my home, for as many hours per week that is required in shaa Allah.
I'm not keen on taking a tablet in the long term to obtain essential vitamins - when in shaa Allah, I can obtain them naturally through the environment.

It's just been more challenging than I thought it would be....: (

~Zaria~
07-17-2013, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
This reminds me of an article I read about redirecting sun in a small village in Italy which was lying at the bottom of a mountain.

:shade:

That's a very interesting story! Thanks for sharing.

Alhamdulillah, if we can have satellites, wireless devices and so many other advances in technology, surely there is a solution for south-facing buildings/ homes? In shaa Allah.

format_quote Originally Posted by aflawedbeing
Or she could move...

No?
For the sake of my health, I think I may not many choices left....

I've only moved into this apartment last year.....I just wish I was more clued up about properties and sun-locations, etc before-hand.
Alhamdulillah, I've learnt an important lesson from this....

greenhill
07-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Get a sun bed? :exhausted

Scimitar
07-18-2013, 10:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
^^ Great idea. Now only what sister Zaria needs is few huge mirrors...
Well actually, I thought the same thing, until I saw this video:

The mirror doesn't have to be big at all. What I found really cool was that, if the mirror is circular, when the sun hits it, it could reflect back light like a second sun - and that is pretty cool.

This 12 inch flat mirror can redirect sunlight 250 feet - 500 feet to a Fresnel Lens Receiver that can then concentrate sunlight to a target for solar heating and solar cooking. This shows the incredible power of traditional flat mirrors.
Scimi

Mustafa2012
07-21-2013, 10:14 PM

Sorry to hear about your condition. May Allaah :swt1: cure you and restore you back to good health.

After reading the replies, here are a few ideas I thought of:

Solution 1: Rent-a-Roof? - Is there are any way you could make an arrangement with your landlord or a nearby landlord to let you rent some roof space for a certain time every day or week so you can get some sunlight?

Solution 2: Relocation? - Since a lack of sunlight is affecting your health would you consider re-locating to an area where you get enough sunlight?

Solution 3: Sunlight Re-Direction? - How about trying to do a little sunlight re-direction of your own with the help of your local handymen?

~Zaria~
07-26-2013, 09:41 AM
:wasalam:

:jz: for the suggestions.

Solution 1: Rent-a-Roof? - Is there are any way you could make an arrangement with your landlord or a nearby landlord to let you rent some roof space for a certain time every day or week so you can get some sunlight?
I am able to sit on the roof of my building for free.....the only problem is safety (and privacy) - I would be the only woman sitting alone in an area where the domestic helpers and male staff of the building (and other unknown people) reside :/

So, for this reason alone, it is not really an option for me.

Solution 2: Relocation? - Since a lack of sunlight is affecting your health would you consider re-locating to an area where you get enough sunlight?
This seems to be the best option at the moment (I actually wish I could re-locate from this country all together :/ Allah knows best).

Solution 3: Sunlight Re-Direction? - How about trying to do a little sunlight re-direction of your own with the help of your local handymen?
Thats the purpose of this thread :shade:
Im looking for ideas on how to re-direct the sun into my south-facing apartment in shaa Allah.

The Fresnel Lens Receiver does look really cool bro Scimi! Im not sure how I will set it up though....

However, alhamdulillah, I am pleased to note that in the last week, I have managed to get a whole hour of exposure to sun (just my arms and face) :D
(this is possibly the most direct sun exposure that I have received in the past few months combined ;/ )

My solution:
I found the roof-top of a car-park at our local shopping mall that is relatively quiet (and safe, in shaa Allah) - so now I am frequenting the mall just to get sun :embarrass

I do feel a little like an 'odd-ball'......I mean, what do all other muslim women do in these cases?

It seems like one has to either live in a north-facing home, or live in a property with a private yard to be ok.....
If not, then this can become really challenging...

:wa:

Muhammad
07-26-2013, 02:05 PM
:salamext:

I mean, what do all other muslim women do in these cases?

It seems like one has to either live in a north-facing home, or live in a property with a private yard to be ok.....
If not, then this can become really challenging...
There seem to be some conflicting views about whether Hijab really affects vitamin D exposure and regarding daily requirements. You can have a look at some of the comments here too: http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?t=16711

In any case, I came across mention of an indoor ultraviolet light source/sunlamp... maybe something along these lines might be worth looking into?

May Allaah :swt: help you in this dilemma and grant you complete shifaa, Aameen.

~Zaria~
07-26-2013, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
:salamext:

There seem to be some conflicting views about whether Hijab really affects vitamin D exposure and regarding daily requirements. You can have a look at some of the comments here too: http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?t=16711

In any case, I came across mention of an indoor ultraviolet light source/sunlamp... maybe something along these lines might be worth looking into?

May Allaah :swt: help you in this dilemma and grant you complete shifaa, Aameen.
:wasalam:

:jz: for the link.
(its good to know that there are other sisters facing similar issues as well.)

I think the only difference is that the poster on that thread is trying to chose between exposing herself vs. wearing hijab.
(I can somehow relate to how she may feel, as I myself had some doubts entering my mind when I first learnt of my vit d levels being in single digits :/ and not feeling very well at the time.
We tend to look for reasons for our state of being, and couple to this, the advices of those who are around us (who often mean well) - it is easy to fall into this trap.)

However, when we really think about it, we can never lay direct blame upon the hijab for vitamin d deficiencies (as it is a command from Allah, so there is no doubt that there-in lies only goodness for us).
Instead, this reflects more of a lifestyle problem - which I am currently focusing on trying ('trying' being the operative word here, lol) to change.

In the past, people spent much more time outdoors - working in the fields, walking/ riding animals, etc. vs today, where we have cars/ other forms of public transport, and people spend much more time indoors/ in offices.

Also, for muslim women in particular, its quite a challenge to find outdoor sports facilities that are catered only for females/ have strict segregation.
e.g. I like to swim, but have been unable to find an outdoor pool that has time-slots that cater for females only.
Nor are there tennis courts for women or......any other sports for that matter : (
(try taking a hike in full hijab :exhausted)

So, I think the most practical solution is to make ones home a place of comfort and one that provides answers for these types of real-life issues.
(else, you may find yourself wondering, why you are sitting on the roof-top car-park of a shopping mall :hiding:)

My advise to the sisters/ brothers with families:
- Always ensure that you secure a NORTH-facing property, in shaa Allah (remember the property mantra: 'Location, location, location'!)
- A property with a private garden would be most ideal for your women-folk.
- If you can afford a home with a private pool, etc. then I think its worth the investment in the long run (for the sisters sake)....

I have never considered a UV sunlamp - will have a look into it in shaa Allah.

However, I think that moving house (again! :cry::cry:) is something that I may also need to consider, if Allah wills....

Insaanah
07-26-2013, 10:32 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Always ensure that you secure a NORTH-facing property, in shaa Allah (remember the property mantra: 'Location, location, location'!)
No sis. North facing properties tend to be the darkest, with very little direct sunlight. You would want either an East or West facing property (the directions the sun rises and sets in). One would give you direct sunlight in the morning, the other in the afternoon. Please, whatever you do, don't buy a North facing property if you intend to do it with receiving sunlight in mind.

Apart from the direction, you'd need to see if there are any tall skyscrapers in front of your chosen property that might block your light, even if it was facing a good direction.

Incidentally, if we weren't talking about direct sunlight, South facing properties are actually the best lit throughout the day.

~Zaria~
07-27-2013, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

No sis. North facing properties tend to be the darkest, with very little direct sunlight. You would want either an East or West facing property (the directions the sun rises and sets in). One would give you direct sunlight in the morning, the other in the afternoon. Please, whatever you do, don't buy a North facing property if you intend to do it with receiving sunlight in mind.

Apart from the direction, you'd need to see if there are any tall skyscrapers in front of your chosen property that might block your light, even if it was facing a good direction.

Incidentally, if we weren't talking about direct sunlight, South facing properties are actually the best lit throughout the day.

:wasalam: ukthi,

Ermmm, Im definitely facing south, and I receive no direct sun-light the entire day.....(while the apartments opposite me, which face north, enjoy the sun for most of the day).

Maybe it depends on the country?

This is from an Australian site:

Why north for living areas?

North is the best position for rooms you spend a lot of time in because north-facing rooms get sun for the longest part of the day. They are also the easiest to shade from unwanted sun. In summer when the sun is high, the right size eaves will shade north-facing rooms, while in winter when the sun is lower, sunlight will come in under the eaves.

• The north side is warmer in winter and the best place for rooms you use a lot, like living areas.
  • The west side gets hot in the afternoon and is best for rooms you don't use often, like bathrooms, garages and laundries.
  • The south side is the coolest and good for bedrooms in warmer climates, as well as rooms you don't use often.
  • The east side gets morning sun and is good for breakfast rooms, kitchens and bedrooms.

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/buyersguide/bg4.html

Insaanah
07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
In that case, it seems it depends on the hemisphere. As what's South to those in the Northern hemisphere must be North to those in the Southern hemisphere. And the greater the latitude, the greater the magnitude of the effect.

~Zaria~
07-27-2013, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
In that case, it seems it depends on the hemisphere. As what's South to those in the Northern hemisphere must be North to those in the Southern hemisphere. And the greater the latitude, the greater the magnitude of the effect.
^ Alrighty :statisfie

(FYI: Im the wrong person to speak about directions to.....I am generally, completely hopeless in establishing my position on earth.
Lets just say that I get lost frequently - even when using google maps on my phone :hiding:[You know #that feeling when you see your car icon moving in the opposite direction from its target on the map, and you know you need to make a U-turn#]
And if Im in a new country :exhausted.....Ive had some adventures in the past.....)

:jz: for the clarification.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!