/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it compulsory to fast when on holiday?

adam.nov
07-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I live in he uk and I will be travelling to France for a holiday. I will be staying for 8 days. Do I have to fast during the 8 day period? I have kept all my fasts from an early age and and never missed one. Do I have to fast when on holiday or can I make them up after Ramadan?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aflawedbeing
07-17-2013, 11:57 PM
" If a person is travelling, it is permissible for him not to fast. He must make qada of the missed fast whenever possible. "Travelling" in this context is the same as that mentioned in the chapter on offering salaat while travelling, i.e. one must have the intention of travelling approximately 77 kilometres or more."
spa.qibl a.c om/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=2443&CATE=6

My question, I travel about 85 kilometers everyday for work... :/

Iceee
07-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Salaam.

This is exactly the reason why we have this month once a year; to get rid of mentalities & attitudes like this, I'm not giving you a scolding & I don't know how old you are, but you seem old enough to fast, but young enough not to care.

Fasting is compulsory on everyone. just because of summer holidays you cant stop fasting. Besides you can still enjoy the holidays whilst fasting, it just means there may be certain things you cant do because it might make you extra tired or hungry.

I'm in my Summer Holidays as well, and so are many people on this forum, do you see them stop fasting for the month of Ramadan? Would the Prophet Mohamad (peace be upon him) or the Sahahbah (peace upon them all) stop fasting so they can enjoy the, "Summer Vacation?" Right now you aren't fearing Allah, I know you say you're born Muslim and fasted when you were young, but this is the one month that ALL MUSLIMS should fast.

Who knows? Maybe your fast after Ramadan won't be counted (Only Allah Knows)... or even worst, you will leave fasting off until you forget completely about it or you won't fast the remaining days. Only Allah Knows Best.

aflawedbeing
07-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Just to clarify, I hope that wasn't meant for the last line of my last post. Wallahe, intended in jest. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
07-18-2013, 03:33 AM
:sl:

Brother Iceee, lets not be so harsh on the OP. Islamically, one is allowed to open his fast when he is traveling.

But the question is, does he remain a traveler if he stays for 8 days in one place?
According to the Hanafi madhhab, yes, he remains a traveler if he stays for upto 15 days or less.
But according to the Shaf'ii, Hanbali and Maliki, he will only be considered a traveler if he stays in a city for not more than four days. If he stays for longer, then he cannot open his fast.

Our advice to the OP is to consult a scholar and show him your itenarary to determine whether you will be considered a traveler or not.

adam.nov
07-18-2013, 08:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
Salaam.

This is exactly the reason why we have this month once a year; to get rid of mentalities & attitudes like this, I'm not giving you a scolding & I don't know how old you are, but you seem old enough to fast, but young enough not to care.

Fasting is compulsory on everyone. just because of summer holidays you cant stop fasting. Besides you can still enjoy the holidays whilst fasting, it just means there may be certain things you cant do because it might make you extra tired or hungry.

I'm in my Summer Holidays as well, and so are many people on this forum, do you see them stop fasting for the month of Ramadan? Would the Prophet Mohamad (peace be upon him) or the Sahahbah (peace upon them all) stop fasting so they can enjoy the, "Summer Vacation?" Right now you aren't fearing Allah, I know you say you're born Muslim and fasted when you were young, but this is the one month that ALL MUSLIMS should fast.

Who knows? Maybe your fast after Ramadan won't be counted (Only Allah Knows)... or even worst, you will leave fasting off until you forget completely about it or you won't fast the remaining days. Only Allah Knows Best.
WS.

I find your reply quite offensive and feel that you are judging me when you don't even know me. You do not have the right to do so. I am 21 and for the last 11 years or so I have kept every fast. If I did not care then why would I sign up to a forum and seek guidance on a matter in which I am unsure of?
I have read that a musafir is person travelling a certain distance from home and has the intention of staying at the destination for no more than 14 days. During this time it is not compulsory to fast but if he can then he should. He also will read 2 rakaats instead of 4 for zuhr asr and esha. I want some clarification and help, that's why I am here. Not abuse!

adam.nov
07-18-2013, 08:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ibṉĀdam
:sl:

Brother Iceee, lets not be so harsh on the OP. Islamically, one is allowed to open his fast when he is traveling.

But the question is, does he remain a traveler if he stays for 8 days in one place?
According to the Hanafi madhhab, yes, he remains a traveler if he stays for upto 15 days or less.
But according to the Shaf'ii, Hanbali and Maliki, he will only be considered a traveler if he stays in a city for not more than four days. If he stays for longer, then he cannot open his fast.

Our advice to the OP is to consult a scholar and show him your itenarary to determine whether you will be considered a traveler or not.
I leave today after work to the dock in Plymouth which is about 220 miles or so, but I am keeping todays fast. The ferry will leave tomorrow morning and is 6 hour trip or so. We will then travel to the chateau and reach our destination early evening. We then stay here until next Saturday in which the ferry returns early morning and we then take the trip back up to home. I know tomorrow and the Saturday we return, it is permissible to open the fast if it becomes hard and I will need to keep the missed fasts afterwards. However is it compulsory to keep the fasts for the 7 days in between. I know we will be doing various activities and visiting other cities. I did not plan for the holiday to be in Ramadhan. My partner is a revert and we had our nikkah a few years ago. Her family does not know about this. Before she reverted, we put the idea across and they were not happy at all and it would cause problems between her and her family. As a gift they invited us along with them to this holiday. We do not have much money and this was a good opportunity as there will no costs at all apart from spending money. I fear Allah and I do not want to commit sin. This is why I am here seeking guidance.

Ali Mujahidin
07-18-2013, 10:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adam.nov
Do I have to fast when on holiday or can I make them up after Ramadan?
This is what I know from my meager store of knowledge about Islam.

Depending on your mazhab, you can break your fast. However, regardless of your mazhab, you have to make up for the missed days. The big question is whether you have the strength to make up for the missed days. If you don't, then it will be counted against you in akhirah. And that's no laughing matter.

Now, a very biased opinion from my very personal viewpoint.

I wouldn't consider going for a holiday, however near or far the vacation destination, as a good reason to break the fast. The way I understand it, it's allowed for people who are musafir to break the fast because traveling conditions in the olden days are not as comfortable as they are today. Imagine fasting and traveling across seemingly endless miles of hot and dry desert in the heat of the day. Surely this is a far cry from the way we travel today, in the comfort of air-conditioned vehicles and not having to lift a finger to get from point A to point B.

In the final analysis, it's all up to you. What is more important? Having a good time during a summer holiday? Or having a good time in akhirah because you have fulfilled your duties in dunya, which includes fasting in the month of Ramadan? Your choice. You are the one who has to answer for your actions in akhirah. Not me.

AabiruSabeel
07-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Fasting and Breaking Fast while Traveling

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...cles&id=159751

It was narrated on the authority of ‘Aa’ishah

that she said:“Hamzah ibn ‘Amr Al-Aslami asked the Prophet,

‘Should I fast while traveling?’ as he used to fast frequently. The Prophet

replie:,‘You may fast if you wish, and you may not fast if you wish.’”
[Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]
Ibn ‘Abbaas

was reported to have said, “The Messenger of Allaah

traveled in Ramadan and he fasted until he reached (a place called) ‘Usfaan, then he asked for a tumbler of water and drank it by daytime so that the people might see him. He broke his fast till he reached Makkah.”
Ibn ‘Abbaas

used to say,“The Messenger of Allaah

fasted and broke his fast while traveling, so one may fast or may not (while traveling).”
[Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]

Anas ibn Maalik

said, “We used to travel with the Prophet

and never did the fasting person criticize the one who was not fasting, nor did the person who was not fasting criticize the fasting one.”
[Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]

It was narrated on the authority of Abu Sa‘eed Al-Khudri

that he said, “We set out on a battle with the Messenger of Allaah

in Ramadan. Some of us observed the fast and some of us broke it. Neither did the one who observed the fast have any grudge against the one who broke it, nor did the one who broke the fast have any grudge against the one who fasted. They knew that the one who had enough strength (to bear its rigor) fasted and that was good, and the one who felt weakness (and could not bear the burden) broke it, and that was also good.”
[Muslim]

It was also narrated on the authority of Abu Sa‘eed Al-Khudri

that he said: “We set out with the Messenger of Allaah

to Makkah while we were fasting. We halted at a place. There the Messenger of Allaah

said:‘You are approaching your enemy and breaking your fast would give you greater strength’, and that was a concession (given to us). Some of us continued fasting and some of us broke it. We then stopped at another place and he (the Prophet

) said: ‘You are going to encounter your enemy in the morning and breaking your fast would give you greater strength, so break your fast.’As it was a point which was stressed, we broke the fast. We fasted with the Messenger of Allaah

while traveling after that.”
[Muslim]

Benefits and rulings:
  • First: Islam is tolerant and the Sharee‘ah (Islamic legislation) is easy and gives due consideration to the varied conditions of Muslims who are capable of performing their religious duties. So, all perfect praise is due to Allaah.
  • Second: The traveler may either fast or break the fast, and to comply with the Sunnah (tradition), he should do what is easier for him. TheseHadeeths (narrations) indicate giving him that option.
  • Third: People who find it extremely difficult to fast are advised to break their fast. If making up for the missed days is difficult for some people, and fasting while traveling is not difficult, it is better for them to fast while traveling to be free from the liability and relieve themselves from that hardship.
  • Fourth: It is better for those who travel frequently because of their work and the like, to fast the obligatory days if the fast will not harm them or be difficult for them, so as to be free from liability. They must fast even while traveling if they have no time to make up for the missed days.
  • Fifth: Those who are capable of fulfilling their religious obligations should free themselves from liability as much as they can.
  • Sixth: The Prophet,

was reported to have fasted and broken his fast during his travels according to what was considered more beneficial, warded off harm and removed hardship. Muslims are required to follow the guidance of the Prophet,

• Seventh: The Hadeeth of Hamzah Al-Aslami

includes evidence for asking about the ruling on every act that is performed by a Muslim, in order to know whether this act is permissible and virtuous or not. This approach was followed by the Companions

• Eighth: The Muslim ruler may command people to adopt a religious concession, which would then be a fundamental ruling. They must not oppose him, because obeying him is obligatory and they are not disobeying Allaah by obeying him in this case.
  • Ninth: The Muslim ruler must be lenient with his subjects and consider the conditions of the weak people. In this regard, the Prophet,

, commanded all the Companions to break the fast in order to be strong while facing their enemies, although some of them would not be negatively affected by the fast because they were accustomed to fasting. However, there were people who would be weakened by fasting. Hence, the Prophet,

, commanded them all to break their fast in consideration of those who would be weakened by fasting.
  • Tenth: The rulings that include options for those who are capable of fulfilling their religious obligations are broad in scope, and thus any option should not be disapproved of. Also, the controversial issues where there is no clear evidence should be treated with tolerance.
  • Eleventh: The Muslims’ differences in adopting the Sharee‘ah-approved concessions or in understanding texts should not be a cause of disunity or mutual enmity.
  • Twelfth: These Hadeeths indicate the brotherhood and love that existed between the Companions and how they understood religion. Those who adopted the concession and broke their fast did not denounce the attitude of those who fasted and vice versa.
  • Thirteenth: It is permissible to travel in Ramadan because the Prophet,

, traveled in Ramadan in the year of the Conquest of Makkah.
  • Fourteenth: It is impermissible for anyone who wants to travel the next day to intend to break the fast on that day. This is because he cannot be considered to be traveling merely by having the intention for traveling, but by actually starting the journey.
  • Fifteenth: Anyone who expects to travel is not permitted to break the fast until he sets out on the journey or boards any means of transport.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!