/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about fasting

Artic Fox
07-18-2013, 08:40 PM
So I was thinking about fasting and how you don't eat or drink from sunrise to sunset. But what if you lived in the north (like northern Alaska and the like) where it's light outside 24 hours a day sometimes, especially around the summer solstice? And what if Ramadan fell on the time period where it's dark 24 hours up there? Would you fast the whole day or just part of it? I don't live where this is the case, I was just wondering about it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
07-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Salam alaykum

Here in Finland this might be problem too at mid-summer or at mid-winter (specially at the northest corners). Then people usually use times of some other country, like the nearest islamic-major country like Turkey or times of Mecca.

Allah wants to make fasting to us easy - not impossible like it would to be at very north areas.

Hamza Asadullah
07-18-2013, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Artic Fox
So I was thinking about fasting and how you don't eat or drink from sunrise to sunset. But what if you lived in the north (like northern Alaska and the like) where it's light outside 24 hours a day sometimes, especially around the summer solstice? And what if Ramadan fell on the time period where it's dark 24 hours up there? Would you fast the whole day or just part of it? I don't live where this is the case, I was just wondering about it.
:sl:

Hope this helps:

How to observe daily prayers and fasting in northern countries like Alaska

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/16826

Artic Fox
07-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Oh...that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I have another question, though. I was going to put it up but I completely forgot about it when making this topic. Anyways:

I'm having a little difficulty fasting, this being my first Ramadan and being the only Muslim in the house. My parents are particularly worried about the kids in my house not eating, as problems have arisen in the past with other siblings, and they do not know I am a Muslim. Plus they watch to make sure we eat dinner. Can I fast partially during the day? Like not eating lunch? Also, do I have to break the fast with dates or could I eat something else?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
07-18-2013, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Artic Fox
... they watch to make sure we eat dinner. Can I fast partially during the day? Like not eating lunch? Also, do I have to break the fast with dates or could I eat something else?
:sl:

Fasting is from the dawn to sunset. So you can delay your dinner and have it after sunset.

Fast can be opened by anything halal. It doesn't have to be dates only. You can drink water to open your fast if you want.

Artic Fox
07-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Good to know! Thanks everyone!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!