/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why are good traits looked down upon?

Fainoz
07-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Honesty. modesty, generosity, kindness. People encourage the bad and abhor the good. And I am not even talking about Non-Muslims I am even including myself in this one because I am guilty of this at times. Most of the time, if you tell a non Muslim person something is against your religion they leave it at that. Like shaking hands with the opposite sex which as been clearly stated as being haram to the point that the Prophet (SAW) stated, it would be better to get stabbed in the head with an iron needle that to touch a non'Mahram women's skin . You tell a non Muslim, they just leave you alone. But sometimes some Muslim people will be like: "What is the big deal? just shake his/her hand is not like there is a physical attraction, don't be such a Wahabi". And lying is a major sin, because we have become so desensitized to lies that we lie for fun, even though we avoid alcohol, and pork, when Lying is written right up there along with those things. It isn't just that lying has become common, but rather that if you refuse to tell a lie to gain something (e.g. Lie on paper work to get more money), People will make you feel bad about it.
If you give money to people, and all of a sudden you become a "punk". You're nice and polite and you become "a pushover".

True there is such a thing as being too nice, but being nice in general is a good thing isn't it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ahmad H
07-19-2013, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevermind
if you refuse to tell a lie to gain something (e.g. Lie on paper work to get more money), People will make you feel bad about it.
I know what you mean. I have noticed how people make me feel bad for being too good of a Muslim sometimes and for reminding others of what is Islamic or even stating too much Ahadith. Yes, being extreme is not good, but avoiding evil and enjoining good is always encouraged.

I say ignore what people say, and YOU tell them what to do. Don't let them tell you what is right or wrong. Tell them lying is wrong. Tell them touching non-Mahrams are bad. (To be honest, I am guilty of this too. I have a bad habit of shaking hands from both men and women.) But nevertheless, the more people like you remind everyone else in something you clearly avoid, then tell them to avoid that too.

There is no such thing as being too nice. But there is such a thing as being vulgar sometimes, and a Muslim isn't supposed to be vulgar. Is it okay to be mean sometimes? No. So, be nice all the time. Think of how wrong the opposite way of acting is, and then you can remind yourself why you aren't like that.

We live in an age where the signs of the coming of the Day of Judgment are being fulfilled as if they are the writing on the wall, or the elephant in the room, or something obvious. Anyways, there is a Hadith which says that a time would come when people would not care how they make money, they would make it unlawfully and think it is okay. I am paraphrasing here, so please look up the actual Hadith if you wish for the accurate translation. I reflected over this Hadith and realized that too many people lie and cheat to make money these days, even a few bucks if they think they can get away with it. Realize that those few bucks aren't worth it in the Hereafter. Any wrongly acquired wealth in this life will be part of our punishment in the Hereafter if we attain it. And for what? To fill our bellies with fire?

My two cents on the matter. I've reflected over this too sometimes.

aflawedbeing
07-19-2013, 10:30 PM
I can't place it either. But yes, it is true. We are too okay with evil, and too complacent to care too much about contributing or encouraging the good.

do you think it could be a certain fear? A fear of us becoming a target, or topic for gossip perhaps at times?

May Allah swt keep us away from evil deeds. Ameen.

chuckla
07-22-2013, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevermind
Honesty. modesty, generosity, kindness. People encourage the bad and abhor the good. And I am not even talking about Non-Muslims I am even including myself in this one because I am guilty of this at times. Most of the time, if you tell a non Muslim person something is against your religion they leave it at that. Like shaking hands with the opposite sex which as been clearly stated as being haram to the point that the Prophet (SAW) stated, it would be better to get stabbed in the head with an iron needle that to touch a non'Mahram women's skin . You tell a non Muslim, they just leave you alone. But sometimes some Muslim people will be like: "What is the big deal? just shake his/her hand is not like there is a physical attraction, don't be such a Wahabi". And lying is a major sin, because we have become so desensitized to lies that we lie for fun, even though we avoid alcohol, and pork, when Lying is written right up there along with those things. It isn't just that lying has become common, but rather that if you refuse to tell a lie to gain something (e.g. Lie on paper work to get more money), People will make you feel bad about it.
If you give money to people, and all of a sudden you become a "punk". You're nice and polite and you become "a pushover". being too nice, but being nice in general is a good thing isn't it?
:DMost people are afraid to be modest, generous, and show kindness. We tell lies because we are afraid to tell the truth. This is what we are here for! To conquer our fears and be a kind, modest, generous soul. Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
07-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Greetings and peace be with you nevermind; I like the following...

Anyway

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centred;
Forgive them anyway

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;
It never was between you and them anyway.

In the spirit of striving to do right

Eric

عابر سبيل
07-22-2013, 11:27 PM
It really does remind us of the hadith:

One the authority of Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) that The Messenger of Allah (saw) said: “Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers.”

-Sahih Muslim 145

M.I.A.
07-22-2013, 11:52 PM
i think the most common way is to be yourself.

the moment you choose religion, things become harder.

you leave behind the traits that most people find appealing.

and things that most people do not even know they are doing become annoying.

i guess the more you think about it the more it becomes a problem..

but the same god that governs you, governs them.

so you should learn to ignore it, even if it does become your world.

ultimately it is others that choose your place in the world, it would seem.

feel free to disagree, there are a lot better perspectives to live by.

imo good traits are looked down upon because they reduce the drama of the real world.. and the gears always need to turn.

allah swt only needs an excuse.

i guess its a hard lesson to learn.

revert88
07-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Let us always remember that the path to living in a righteous manner is a tough one.
From my experience and I'm sure others, it is little by little.
We try not to back bite. We stop slandering when our friends gossip about others issues
We turn down alcohol at a party and have fun without being intoxicated
We aren't quick to judge or say "haraam haraam haraam" at little things
When we give charity without question people ask why and we should answer "why don't you"
Paving a road for others is a hard one but we must be careful to not exclude those who might be close to a better life but yet need the right push.
We embrace difference in the world and we set an example through our actions
Faith without actions is an empty endeavor.

greenhill
07-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Why?

To lead us astray. So that it becomes the 'way' for human interaction.

We all 'know' it but sometimes feel 'powerless' to do anything. Sometimes perhaps even 'tired' to have to keep going against the grain.

Really, like what has been said above, end of times and stuff, people do not want reminders of ill gotten gains. With inflation and life being difficult as it is, it is testing even with poor morals. The immediacy of earning less and its implication to your commitments and obligations may be reality you base your actions upon, not the spiritual consequence as you don't feel the immediate impact.

Allahu'alam

Peace
:shade:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!