/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question: Surah One Vers four - Maliki Yawmud-Deen equal Maliki Yawmid-Deen?

new2010
07-20-2013, 02:09 AM
As-Salam Alaikum,

is it grammaticly correct to say both or is it wrong to say: 'Maliki Yawmud-Deen'?

2nd: Would be prayer accepted with both pronunciations?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
new2010
07-23-2013, 07:28 PM
No Arabic speaking people here?

sameer123
07-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Wa alaikumussalaam.

Brother, we don't make up our own recitation even if it is grammatically possible. We only recite the Quran in a recitation which is authentic. Have you ever heard any Qari reading it like يَوْمُ الدِّينِ (with a dammah on meem)?

new2010
12-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Jazak Allahu khair akhy. Got one more question in regard to this vers: one of the two names of Allah are: Malik (king) and Maalik (owner).

When I listen to al-Fatiha on http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ recitators read it like Maalik (owner), but I thought - and this is written in "translations" - is means Malik (king). I cannot - unfortunately - speak Arabic, so have to ask those simple question. What is the right way?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
12-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Salaam,

I'm not Arabic, but learnt to read the Qurana. Not great at it but passable :hmm:.

It is Maa-li-ki as opposed to Ma-li-ki. Yau-mid-deen as opposed to Yau-mud-deen.

P.S
I've never come across a surah al Fatihah with that domma before, I have seen only the 'kasroh'.

So now I'm not sure. :hiding:

I am drawn now to the same thoughts on the matter of 'bismillah' and as in 'kasroh' for 'bis' but I have read in places where it is 'basmallah' (not spelt in Arabic, though). So maybe it has different meaning? Or is it a case of'cultural' pronunciation and written in Arabic wrongly?:hmm:

Peace :shade:

Muhaba
12-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Grammatically, Maaliki-Yawm-i-deen is correct. This is because, here the word YAWM is modaf ilaih (possessed noun) and modaf ilaih always ends in the majrur case. Here Yawm is singular so its majrur case is with the kasra. Like Yawm, Deen is also modaf ilaih and also has a kasra at the end (majrur case). But because of the pause, it is unpronounced unless you recite in continuity.

So i hope that cleared this . Remember the rule: Modaf ilaih majrur. Modaf ilaih is always in the majrur case. The modaf ilaih is the possessed item.

Read my book Arabic Made Easy to learn more.

sameer123
12-11-2013, 09:29 AM
I second sister WRITER.
Grammatically, يَوْمِ الدِّينِ (with a kasrah on meem) is correct.

sameer123
12-11-2013, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
I am drawn now to the same thoughts on the matter of 'bismillah' and as in 'kasroh' for 'bis' but I have read in places where it is 'basmallah' (not spelt in Arabic, though). So maybe it has different meaning? Or is it a case of'cultural' pronunciation and written in Arabic wrongly?
The term "بَسْمَلَة" is used to refer بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم. Just like we say "اِسْتِعَاذَة" to refer أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم.

Muhaba
12-11-2013, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer123
I second sister WRITER.
Grammatically, يَوْمِ الدِّينِ (with a kasrah on meem) is correct.
One thing that needs to be clarified is that if it is written alone, then it is yawm -u- deen but in the phrase "Maaliki-yawm-I-deen," Yawm has kasra because it is the modaf ilaih (possessed item).

In Arabic, the noun may have a fathha, a kasra or a damma on the last letter depending on its position in the sentence. If the noun is the subject, then it has a damma on the last letter (when it is singular noun). And if the noun is the modaf ilaih or it follows a harf jar (preposition), then it has a kasra on the last letter. And if the noun is an object, then it has a fathha on the last letter.

This is so if the noun is singular. If plural, then the word ending changes.

So, in Malik-I-yawm-I-deen, yawm has kasra. But in just Yawm -u-deen, yawm has damma.

sameer123
12-11-2013, 05:48 PM
JazakAllah sister.

Insaanah
12-11-2013, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
Got one more question in regard to this vers: one of the two names of Allah are: Malik (king) and Maalik (owner).

When I listen to al-Fatiha on http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ recitators read it like Maalik (owner), but I thought - and this is written in "translations" - is means Malik (king). I cannot - unfortunately - speak Arabic, so have to ask those simple question. What is the right way?
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh

The recitation mode which is mostly prevalent (>90% of Muslims) is that transmitted by Hafs from 'Aasim, in which it is recited as Maaliki. In the Warsh mode/style of recitation, it is recited as Maliki. You can hear that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaRGtx1LXFY

If interested in more background, see the first post here: http://www.islamicboard.com/quran/12...aat-ahruf.html

Allah is Owner (Maalik) of the day of judgement, and King (Malik) of the day of judgement.

Stick with Maaliki for now, and later on, if you ever learn a different style of recitation such as Warsh under the guidance of a qualified teacher, then you can recite Maliki then.

greenhill
12-12-2013, 01:27 AM
I remember distinctly during one of my classes the ustaz drew to my attention to the extension of Maalik in al Fatihah and he then recited An Naas where there was also one but not Maalik, just Malik. He says there is a difference so make sure it is differentiated and not made the same.

He then showed me the different sets of notation on both words where Maalik in Al Fatihah has a symbol to denote the extending of the syllable whereas Malik in An Naas does not have...

Just my 2 cents worth.

Peace :shade:

Insaanah
12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
:salam:

^ If you are reading in Hafs an Aasim recitation (which is the recitation most Muslims use), then in Surah al Faatihah, you read Maalik, and not Malik. However, if you are reading in Warsh recitation, then you read Malik and not Maalik. You can also get Warsh Mus'hafs (copies of the Qur'an) which have it written as Malik. Maalik is correct for Hafs an Aasim, and Malik is correct for Warsh. I am talking about its occurrence in Surah al Faatihah only here.

Both recitations have a basis, as explained in the link in my previous post, therefore we must not think the other person to be reciting to be wrong because we haven't heard it recited like that before. This hadeeth is worth noting:

Narrated `Umar bin Khattab:

I heard Hisham bin Hakim bin Hizam reciting Surat-al-Furqan during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger :saws:, and I listened to his recitation and noticed that he recited it in several ways which Allah's Messenger :saws: had not taught me. So I was on the point of attacking him in the prayer, but I waited till he finished his prayer, and then I seized him by the collar and said, "Who taught you this Surah which I have heard you reciting?" He replied, "Allah's Messenger :saws: taught it to me." I said, "You are telling a lie; By Allah! Allah's Messenger :saws: taught me (in a different way) this very Surah which I have heard you reciting." So I took him, leading him to Allah's Messenger :saws: and said, "O Allah's Messenger :saws:! I heard this person reciting Surat-al-Furqan in a way that you did not teach me, and you have taught me Surat-al-Furqan." The Prophet :saws: said, "O Hisham, recite!" So he recited in the same way as I heard him recite it before. On that Allah's Messenger :saws: said, "It was revealed to be recited in this way." Then Allah's Messenger :saws: said, "Recite, O 'Umar!" So I recited it as he had taught me. Allah's Messenger :saws: then said, "It was revealed to be recited in this way." Allah" Apostle :saws: added, "The Qur'an has been revealed to be recited in several different ways, so recite of it that which is easier for you."

Sahih al Bukhari 5041

http://www.sunnah.com/bukhari/66/65

greenhill
12-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Thank you Insaanah. I have been totally ignorant of the fact about these differences. I tried looking up and came across this question.

"Sometimes when listening to recitations by people known for their knowledge of Tajweed, I hear them repeating a line they already recited (Abdul Basit does it). Looking on the internet, I've come to find out that it's called the "Warsh technique"."

When I go through the recitations and try to follow by reading, I find Abdul Basit reads the slowest hence much easier to read along. The question he poses first then makes me wonder if there are other Maalik/Malik situations in the surah I'm doing. But on the repeating the sentence sometimes is due to not having enough breath to complete it at such a slow pace. But as long as you restart the sentence at an appropriate place it is deemed ok.

Which then makes me think that there may be other 'traits' that I am not aware of.

Suddenly I am reminded of the link I think that would explain.

sameer123
12-23-2013, 02:27 AM
http://drvaniya.com/wp-content/uploa...-and-Malik.pdf

anisafatima
01-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Mallike-Yawm-i-deen is correct grammatically, we don’t make up our own recitation even if it is grammatically correct. We only recite the Quran in a recitation which is authentic.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!