/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When to stop eating? before fajr?

QueenofHerts
07-21-2013, 02:28 AM
If fajr is 3:10 then do we stop eating up until that point because on our timetable it says to stop eating 20 mins before fajr. I am very confused.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
07-21-2013, 04:46 AM
Salaam.

Al-Bukhaari (1921) narrated from Anas that Zayd ibn Thaabit said: “We ate suhoor with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then he stood up to pray.” I [Anas] said: “How long was there between the adhaan and suhoor?” He said: “As long as it takes to recite fifty verses.”

The Standing Committee (10/284) was asked: I read in some tafseers that the fasting person should stop eating and drinking 20 minutes before the adhaan of Fajr, and this is described as being on the safe side. How much time should there be between stopping eating and drinking and the adhaan of Fajr in Ramadaan? What is the ruling on one who hears the muezzin saying “al-salaatu khayrun min al-nawm (prayer is better than sleep)” and he says can still drink so long as the adhaan is still going on. Is this correct?

They replied:
The basic principle regarding when the fasting person should stop eating and drinking and should break the fast is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night), then complete your Sawm (fast) till the nightfall”
[al-Baqarah 2:187]
You stop eating before true dawn. ie. you stop eating before the fajr time has started.
So fajr begins at 3:10am for you, so you stop eating before that time.

Try to be cautious however, maybe stop eating 5-10 minutes (if possible) before this time Inshallah.
Use the time after to brush your teeth, do wudu, and start praying Fajr on time.

Also, if you or a male relative can talk to the Imam, please do so about this because you may not be the same Madhab as the given quote above.

aflawedbeing
07-21-2013, 10:28 AM
:) We always finish up somewhere around 10-15 minutes before Fajr! :) Make wuhdu if we need to and go from there.

Though, I will admit, sometimes we cut it fine and finish seconds before the adaan!

I read a tweet by Dr. Bilal Philips that you should avoid toothpaste while fasting...I would have thought it's a 'must' rather than a 'should'...Can anyone shed some light on this as well, while we're at it?

Hamza Asadullah
07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aflawedbeing
:) We always finish up somewhere around 10-15 minutes before Fajr! :) Make wuhdu if we need to and go from there.

Though, I will admit, sometimes we cut it fine and finish seconds before the adaan!

I read a tweet by Dr. Bilal Philips that you should avoid toothpaste while fasting...I would have thought it's a 'must' rather than a 'should'...Can anyone shed some light on this as well, while we're at it?
:sl:

From what I have read from various scholars it is permissible but is best avoided incase any of it reaches the throat which is always a possibility. It is preferred to use the Miswaak instead or to brush one's teeth before Suhoor ends.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aflawedbeing
07-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Ah. :) Good tip on the Miswaak.
JazakaAllahu kheyr.

ardianto
07-23-2013, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QueenofHerts
If fajr is 3:10 then do we stop eating up until that point because on our timetable it says to stop eating 20 mins before fajr. I am very confused.
:sl:

Shaum (fasting) is started in Subh (fajr) time, not in Imsak time that around 20-10 minutes before Subh. Imsak is just reminder that Subh time will come. It's okay if you stop eating and drinking in Imsak or even before Imsak, as long as you do not regard shaum started at Imsak time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!