/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Genetically Modified Humans?

revert88
07-22-2013, 07:00 AM
So apparently,

There have been babies born with 3 parents genetic material which is astounding!

to quote from the article

"The world's first geneticallymodified humans have been created, it was revealed last night.The disclosure that 30 healthy babies were born after a series of experiments in the United States provoked another furious debate about ethics.So far, two of the babies have been tested and have been found to contain genes from three 'parents"

this was from daily mail in the UK. What is the Islamic viewpoint of this? I am curious ever since it has so many elements to it from DNA from one parent to even deleting some genes!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Karl
07-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Selective breeding is ok and has been going on for ages but genetic modification by maniplulation of DNA must be wrong. Wouldn't that be considered playing God?

sister herb
07-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Salam alaykum

I read about this idea years ago from books of one Finnish scientist, who really believed that DNA of humans is open material and have to modify (the only way how human race could live forever, maybe later in the some other planet). It sounded scary to me - like that parents could decide what kind of child they will get; genious of mathematics, music, science... decide before his birth what kind of character he will have, what kind of life he will get...

Sounds scary. :phew

revert88
07-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Well I agree that would be scary!

but what if it prevented genetic diseases? It's such a slippery slope. InshaAllah all will be towards the good of mankind

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Futuwwa
07-23-2013, 07:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
Selective breeding is ok and has been going on for ages but genetic modification by maniplulation of DNA must be wrong. Wouldn't that be considered playing God?
What exactly constitutes "playing God" and on what basis do we deem it haraam?

Icy Maiden
07-23-2013, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by revert88
So apparently,

There have been babies born with 3 parents genetic material which is astounding!

to quote from the article

"The world's first geneticallymodified humans have been created, it was revealed last night.The disclosure that 30 healthy babies were born after a series of experiments in the United States provoked another furious debate about ethics.So far, two of the babies have been tested and have been found to contain genes from three 'parents"

this was from daily mail in the UK. What is the Islamic viewpoint of this? I am curious ever since it has so many elements to it from DNA from one parent to even deleting some genes!
That sounds horrid. :skeleton:

What would the lives of those children be like being born in such a way?

Karl
07-23-2013, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa
What exactly constitutes "playing God" and on what basis do we deem it haraam?
Playing God by manipulating life at a molecular genetic level, intelligent design.
Well I believe humans went off the rails by becoming civilised. Leaving a hunter gatherer culture to one of control your inhabitants, habitat and agriculture. A will to power, control and dominion over all things on Earth even life at a molecular level. The difficulty here is to know if progress is good or evil and whom does it really serve?

Genetic modification does seem to be an afront to Gods creation in my opinion. I am not sure if it is Haram or not but it maybe akin to the Dark Arts.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!