/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "How Facebook Ruined One Man’s Marriage..."

Iceee
08-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Salaam.
Found this article on
Yahoo recently. Just a quick read, no discussion needed.

How Facebook Ruined One Man’s Marriage.

By Babble.com | Love + Sex – Wed, 31 Jul, 2013 11:13 AM EDT

Not long ago, I wrote about a study that found a connection between Facebook and the quality of one's relationship. It was believed that spending too much time on Facebook was detrimental to the relationship. But it wasn't just the extensive amount of time spent on Facebook that was wreaking havoc in relationships, it was the jealously that was said to be induced by Facebook.

Nevertheless, jealously isn't the only thing that compromises the quality of relationships when coupled with Facebook. It's the airing of their dirty laundry and spouse bashing that has led to the demise of countless relationships. Somehow social media has become a sounding board for our issues - not just political or moral issues but relationship issues as well.

Status updates have become a platform for venting, but some people move beyond participating in the occasional rant and engage in the attacking of character. Humble brags about how great one's spouse is are replaced with complaints about all of the things they do wrong. In some instances these things are said with a hope that a spouse will see and perhaps become further aware of what they did wrong in case they don't already know. Other times, they are emotions spilling onto the computer screen in hopes that friends will reach out to offer support, validation and serve as a reminder that one is not alone.

Recently, I came across a video on HLN. The video showed a woman having a major emotional meltdown. Her husband filmed her, their marriage already appearing very fragile and on the brink of divorce; the video perhaps showing the side of her that her friends may not have been accustomed to.
According to her husband, the picture that she had painted via social media was one in which he was the "bad guy." And while the video only captures a small moment in time in their relationship, the manner in which she carried herself would suggest that he isn't solely to blame for their relationship woes. Since we don't know the couple or what happened behind closed doors we can't really say what led to the demise of their relationship, but if you ask Jim, social media is to blame.

So what drove Jim to post a video on YouTube of his wife having a tantrum for the entire world to see? In a world where tit for tat appears to still reign, his rationale was because of his wife's frequent complaints about him via social media and in particular, Facebook. According to Jim, his wife would tell her friends that he was "this big, bad guy" and that he had done "everything wrong."

But Jim and his wife's story is similar to that of countless couples. Teenagers aren't the only ones airing their dirty laundry and personal matters via a status update. Adults are also doing it. In the heat of the moment many people will take to Facebook and let their spouse have it. Because telling your spouse you are pissed isn't enough, in order for them to really get it, it is absolutely necessary to not only tell them but also a hundred of your closest friends. Only it's not necessary.

It can be scary when social media bashing becomes a vehicle used by angry spouses. Once you put something out there on the Internet, it's there. You may be able to erase it later but you can't erase it from your memory, your spouse's memory and all of your friends who are likely wondering why you always put your business online in that manner (and maybe why you are still with them if they are so horrible).

For those who can't refrain from bashing their spouse online you may want to think twice. The time spent downing your Mrs. or Mr. could be better served elsewhere, like working on your marriage or deciding if your marriage is worth working on. If it's beyond repair still resist the urge to publicly bash. It is hurtful and you never know who is reading. Besides, regardless of how terrible your spouse may be, you married them and you're still there. Ask yourself how you would you feel if your Facebook feed was filled with your faults written by the person who made a vow to honor and cherish you. If you need support from friends reach out privately. Yes, spouses can be annoying and make us crazy sometimes, but odds are your spouse feels the same way about you.

For more on the story of the husband who blames social media for the demise of his marriage and the video visit HLN. What are your thoughts on people complaining about their spouse via social media?

-By Krishann Briscoe

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
08-03-2013, 02:46 PM
No discussion needed?. Hmm, isn't the forum created for discussion?.

Actually not the social media itself that ruin the marriage, but bad behavior among some married people that ruin it. There are married people who have bad behavior, they like to expose their spouse's mistake to everyone instead of discuss it with their spouses. It's based on victim mentality, and it has been happened since long time ago before the era of internet.

Social media indeed give an easiness for them to expose their spouses 'bad side'. But actually we cannot blame the social media but we must blame people who use social media for negative behavior.

crimsontide06
08-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Just like "guns" are not bad "beings" that jump out of a desk and shoot people on their own like the media wants you to feel...you cannot blame a social media site for peoples failures...the person is at fault, not the inanimate object

ladylinda
08-03-2013, 08:48 PM
it's the media problem, and it's not just facebook and Youtube. Virtual worlds like Second Life/IMVU is really bad plus the dating sites too! trust me brothers I've been there and done it. Seen nothing of chaos from other people! :omg:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Night
08-03-2013, 08:51 PM
People today don't respect their spouses. If was married I would never publicly humiliate my spouse on facebook. Having discussions with my coworkers I can assure you that the concept of submission & privacy in a marriage is not a widely accepted idea among American Christian women.

Sulayyman
08-05-2013, 05:48 AM
:salam:

Social media has two sides. A bad side and a good side. When used in a bad way, horrible things like this can happen but when used in a good way, da'wah becomes very easy alhamdulillah. I wouldn't blame it on social media. Even if Facebook or Youtube wasn't there, telling everyone about your marriage issues can easily be done while conversing with people. And it's natural to put the blame on other things other than yourself but when we look at our own faults, we become a lot better and issues can be solved.

And Allah (swt) knows best.

sister herb
08-05-2013, 09:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
No discussion needed?. Hmm, isn't the forum created for discussion?.

Actually not the social media itself that ruin the marriage, but bad behavior among some married people that ruin it. There are married people who have bad behavior, they like to expose their spouse's mistake to everyone instead of discuss it with their spouses. It's based on victim mentality, and it has been happened since long time ago before the era of internet.

Social media indeed give an easiness for them to expose their spouses 'bad side'. But actually we cannot blame the social media but we must blame people who use social media for negative behavior.
Salam alaykum

You are right. Bad people have ruined marriages and lives thousands of years before "social media". Social media just gives more effective ways to do it. So many people are today addicted to follow media and some make i problem if they can´t follow it all the time.

greenhill
08-05-2013, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
So many people are today addicted to follow media and some make i problem if they can´t follow it all the time.
Sad that! They should reflect on themselves and get a life. :enough!:

sister herb
08-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Salam alaykum

Yes. Get a life: read books, walk in the nature, talk with your family...

And don´t gaze computer/TV/mobile all the time!

greenhill
08-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Tell that to my children...:D

sister herb
08-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Salam alaykum

When I go out, I usually leave my mobile to home...

:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!