/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is true belief in Allah?

Hasan Ibn Omer
08-05-2013, 12:31 PM
to be a believer in Allah isn't just to know there is one God but rather it is obedience of Allah and his Messenger Muhammad (sallalahu alaihe wa-sallam) if to be a believer is just to know there is one God then we would be copying the Christians their say they believe but they don't follow their laws of the Bible because they believe Isa (AS) died for their sins to be forgiven this is wrong and a sin of Shirk. so if we just say we are believers by believing there is one God we are wrong and following people of Shirk.

Does saying the Shahadah make you a believer? No saying the Shahadah still doesn't make you a believer because the Shahadah has 7 Conditions that so many of us are forgetting now days.

7 Conditions of Shahadah

1. Al Iýlm- Knowledge of the meaning of laailahaillaallah
2. Al Yaqeen- ýCertaintyý the like of which negates doubt (shakk)
3. Al Inqiad- Compliance/submission or to submit and comply, which is in opposition to rejection or not to complying or not to submit.
4. Al Qubool- Acceptance, that is in opposition to rejection. That you accept this kalmia with your heart, tongue and limbs.
5.As Sidq- Truthfulness in opposition to lying.
6.Al Mahabba- Love in opposition to hate, and love for this kalima and its conditions and meaning of the kalima.
7.Al Ikhlas- Sincerity, and that you worship Allah sincerely, to seek his face.

now days Muslims think you can just say the Shahadah and your then a believer but this is wrong and not from the teachings of the Messenger Muhammad (sallalahu alaihe wa-sallam). To be a true believer you must submit! SUBMISSION is the attribute of a Muslim(Believer). The Quran is not to be picked up from time to time and read like a book written by J. K. Rowling who wrote the harry potter books, The Quran is to be practiced day by day and read day by day, one sheikh said

"If you look at your Quran and there is dust on top of it from lack of reading it then cry yourself to sleep for you will be judged by Allah."

and the Sunnah of the Messenger Muhammad (sallalahu alaihe wa-sallam). is not to be picked and choosed when you find easy Sunnahs or ones that fit in to your lifestyle its to be practiced to the highest degree.

(I'm talking to myself before any other when i say let us truly understand what true belief of Allah is)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali Mujahidin
08-06-2013, 08:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Icy Maiden
Yes, it does. Whoever says that it doesn't can take that up with Allah on the Day of Judgment. Good luck.
Good luck to you, too, young lady.

Consider this.

If a person who totally disbelieves in Allah, proclaims the shahadah just to say it, does that make him a believer?
If a person who is of unsound mind proclaims the shahadah without understanding what he is talking about, does that make him a believer?
If a person who proclaims the shahadah and in the next breath condemns Islam and rejects the Quran and Hadith totally, does that make him a believer?

faith_light
08-06-2013, 11:23 AM
(I'm talking to myself before any other when i say let us truly understand what true belief of Allah is)

nice topic indeed

Hasan Ibn Omer
08-06-2013, 07:19 PM
assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh, Ramadan kareem.

my sister of Islam you can say the Shahadah and still be a disbeliever. Abu Bakr (RA) Killed The Muslims Who Refused To Pay The Zakat they said the Shahadah but refused to pay the Zakat this made them disbeliever, if you refuses a pillar of Islam you are a disbeliever. there are many acts that can make you a disbeliever. saying the Shahadah is just words we must know what we are saying and live by it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hasan Ibn Omer
08-07-2013, 04:39 PM
No.

A person of unsound mind is not accountable for his actions.

A person who understands the oneness of God and who accepts Muhammad sws as His messenger would never condemn Islam or reject the Qur'an. If a person were to do that, he isn't a believer.

A believer is he who worships God alone.

Yes and it also goes the other way too. I can say the shahadah and be a believer. Only Allah knows what is in people's hearts.

Are you saying that I am?

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh. my sister it seems like your very argumentative if you have any facts then please state them? your personal opinion isn't valid in Islam because Islam isn't accepted by Allah how you understand it or how I understand it, It's only accepted and to be practiced how the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam - Peace be upon him) understood it and practiced! we aren't meant to make the Deen of Allah fit around our life styles rather our life is meant to be about the Deen of Allah (subhana wa ta'ala). I've read some of your posts and it seems like your trying to justice your life style in the Deen of Allah if I'm wrong I'm sorry but if so then let me tell you this is wrong my sister and I can sympathize with you being a revert to Islam I know many revert my own mother is a revert and I know at first it can be hard but without struggle there is no success and this life is a test its our test to see if we will stay on the Deen or be led astray I'm talking to myself before anyone when i say this. I ask Allah to help you and guide you to the straight path In'Sha'Allah (ameen)

Ali Mujahidin
08-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Are you saying that I am?
I think, other than Allah, you are the next best person to answer your own question. So ask yourself some simple questions like:

1. There are five pillars of Islam. Do you accept all of them? Can you reject even just one of the pillars of Islam and still consider yourself to be a believer?

2. There are six principles of imaan. Do you accept all of them? Can you reject even just one of the principles of imaan and still consider yourself to be a believer?

Please refer to these for clarification:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Pillars_of_Islam
http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/pillars.shtml
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~elsegal/I...vePillars.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iman_%28concept%29
http://www.missionislam.com/knowledg...illarsiman.htm

Plz Answer Me
08-08-2013, 11:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by faith_light
nice topic indeed
Exactly! :)

Insaanah
08-08-2013, 01:05 PM
The following is not my personal opinion. Man mata wa huwa ya`lamu annahu La ilaha illallah dakhala al-janna. "Whoever dies knowing full well that there is no god but Allah, enters Paradise." - Narrated by Muslim and Ahmad from `Uthman.
But your interpretation of it is. That hadeeth said the person will enter paradise, but it doesn't say that they won't enter hell first for any sins and lapses they committed, before being taken out of hell and entering paradise. We cannot base our stance on one hadeeth in isolation. We know from the ahadeeth and from the Prophets ascension to heaven, that Muslims will enter hell for various sins, even though they did not commit shirk.

These saheeh ahadeeth are worth noting:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

The Prophet (:saws:) said, "When the people of Paradise will enter Paradise and the people of Hell will go to Hell, Allah will order those who have had faith equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed to be taken out from Hell. So they will be taken out but (by then) they will be blackened (charred). Then they will be put in the river of Haya' (rain) or Hayat (life) (the Narrator is in doubt as to which is the right term), and they will revive like a grain that grows near the bank of a flood channel. Don't you see that it comes out yellow and twisted"

Sahih al-Bukhari
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 22
In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 15
http://www.sunnah.com/bukhari/2/15

It was narrated that Abu Sa'eed Khudri said:
"The Messenger of Allah (:saws:) said: 'When Allah has saved the believers from Hell and they are safe, none of you will dispute with his companion more vehemently for some right of his in this world than the believers will dispute with their Lord on behalf of their brothers in faith who have entered Hell. They will say: " Our Lord! They are our brothers, they used to pray with us, fast with us and perform Hajj with us, and you have admitted them to Hell." He will say: "Go and bring forth those whom you recognize among them." So they will come to them , and they will recognize them by their faces. The Fire will not consume their faces, although there will be some whom the Fire will seize halfway up their shins, and others whom it will seize up to their ankles. They will bring them forth, and will say. "Our Lord, we have brought forth those whom You commanded us to bring forth." Then He will say: "Bring forth those who have a Dinar's weight of faith in their hearts, then those who have half a Dinar's weight in their hearts, then those who have a mustard-seed's weight." Abu Sa'eed said. :"He who does not believe this, let him recite, 'Surely, Allah wrongs not even of the weight of an atom (or a small ant), but is there is any good (done), He doubles it, and gives from Him a great reward.'" (Sahih)

Sunan Ibn Majah
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 1, Hadith 60
Arabic reference : Book 1, Hadith 63

http://www.sunnah.com/urn/1250600

The Prophet :saws: taught us dua for being saved from the hell-fire. If, as Muslims who profess belief in one God alone, we were going straight to paradise by virtue of that belief, such a dua would be unnecessary.

The Qur'an many times warns sternly against disobeying Allah and the Prophet :saws: , and also refers to those who believe AND do good deeds.

Hasan Ibn Omer
08-08-2013, 02:05 PM
sister I don't know where you got this view on Islam from! I'd like to ask you some questions in private if you don't mind

oh and Eid Mubarak to all :)

faithandpeace
08-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Assalamu alaikum and Eid Mubarak. Jazakallah khair for a very informative thread. I think it is good to review the conditions of Shahada so that we can always make sure that we are correctly following our deen and on the straight path inshaAllah! :)

Muhaba
08-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Does the shahada make a person a believer? Is it possible for a person to be an unbeliever even after taking the shahada sincerely? (That is, if he/she isn't a munafiq - hypocrite- is it still possible that he/she is not a believer after taking the shahada?

Let's not resort to our personal opinions about this otherwise we'll just be confused and it will cause divisions. Lets instead turn to the islamic evidence.

what does the Quran say on this matter?

The bedouins say, "We have believed." Say, "You have not [yet] believed; but say [instead], 'We have submitted,' for faith has not yet entered your hearts. And if you obey Allah and His Messenger, He will not deprive you from your deeds of anything. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful." (49:19)

So it's possible that a person says the shahada and becomes a Muslim but faith has not yet entered their hearts. So while they are Muslims, they aren't yet Momineen (Believers). That doesn't mean that they are kafirs (disbelievers) or munafiqeen (hypocrites). They are Muslims. But their stage of iman is not the same as that of Believers (Momineen).

Of course you have to believe sincerely without any doubt in all the elements of faith to be a Muslim. If your belief in any one of them is not sound, then you aren't even Muslim. For example, if you doubt the existence of the Angels or you doubt the life after death, then you aren't a Muslim even if you say the shahada many times. To remove doubt, knowledge is important. There are Muslims today who claim to be Muslims but are more agnostic than Muslims. With such doubts, they aren't inside the fold of islam and risk going to hell. Therefore, iman-bil-ghaib (total faith in the unseen without any doubts) is necessary.

'Abd-al Latif
08-09-2013, 12:09 PM
You're misunderstanding the issue. You really need to start understanding that many concepts in Islam have conditions, pillars and rights that make them up. These concepts are not hollow and meaningless.

The shahadah has conditions attached to it that must be fulfilled, as mentioned in the first post. These conditions are namely: knowing the meaning of the shahadah, accepting the statement, having certainty in it, submitting to what it implies, having a pure intention in it and loving all that it implies.

It was once said to Al-Hasan Al-Basri (a scholar) that some people were saying that whoever says Laa ilaaha illulaah will enter paradise. Al-Hasan said, "Whoever says Laa ilaaha illulaah and fulfills the rights and obligations that this phrase entails will enter paradise."

Al-Hasan Al-Basri also once said to a famous poet by the name of Al-Farazdaq when he was burying his wife, "What have you prepared for a day like this?" Al Farazdaq said, "The testimony that there is none worthy of worship except Allah for seventy years." Al-Hasan replied, "That is good preparation but there are conditions attached to Laa ilaaha illulaah..."

Another scholar by the name of Wahb Ibn Munabbih was asked by someone, "Isn't the key to paradise Laa ilaaha illulaah?" He replied, "Yes, but there is no key that does not have teeth; if you use a key that has teeth you will open the door, otherwise you will not open it."

M.I.A.
08-09-2013, 02:55 PM
im not a scholar but many people who have no understanding of the quran and sunnah are still muslims.

they have nothing but the shahada and there own iman.

a lot of people build upon that.. and are given varying amounts of knowledge and guidance.

even in the prophet mohammeds pbuh time, the quran has a line where it mentions those that claim to be muslim but are not.

and allah swt knows well all that we are and do.

in my opinion, true belief in allah swt is knowing there is a god above man.

and putting your faith and trust in allah swt.

only then can you begin to understand.

that belief is not based on physical aspects of the world.

he knew you before your creation and will know you after you pass from this world.

in my opinion,

the hardest part of belief is maintaining a faith in god, rather than yourself and your own actions and knowledge.

the second hardest part is trying to actually become passive in life.

....make of that what you will.

the opening post made some rather frank remarks about christians and jews, i urge you to go read surah al-imran again.

also has a few sentences about how to treat your own.

Nur Student
08-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. It is an extremely important issue; indeed, more important than anything else in the world since it is about belief in Allah.

This is not a reply to anybody. I just want to share my opinion:

Not denying God is something, but believing in God is completely different. Yes, no conscious being in the world can deny the Creator since there are proofs of His existence to the number of creatures and particles. If s/he denies, the whole world will refute him; therefore, he keeps silent and becomes ignorant.

Believing in God, on the other hand, means that a person accepts
Him with his/her heart together with all His attributes and names as taught in the Qur'an and as can be observed in the universe; and to accept all His orders and prohibitions sent through messengers; and to repent and ask for forgiveness when s/he disobeys an order or commits a sin. Otherwise, committing big sins freely without feeling any regret and repentance will be an indication that s/he doesn't have a share from the iman mentioned in the above Hadiths.

:D:D:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!